Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Time to head over to your log and start dragging down the tone there too. Haha

Never. One of my fav logs and I'll protect her (cause she is not too busy to do her S&C ;)). Happy to fight you all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Never. One of my fav logs and I'll protect her (cause she is not too busy to do her S&C ;)). Happy to fight you all :P

Too late. Already done. Awful low tone over there in that log... Talks of poop and all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Of course the running might have played a small part too...:pac:

Yet since he’s returned all we’ve been subjected to is pictures of his a$$ and him constantly going on about how stiff he is!!! Makes 50 Shades of Grey look tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yet since he’s returned all we’ve been subjected to is pictures of his a$$ and him constantly going on about how stiff he is!!! Makes 50 Shades of Grey look tame.

Says the man who shared pics of 50 shades of thigh foam on Strava:eek:

I'd say you are chomping at the bit to get back to the Moy Valley carpark days;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

FBOT01 wrote: »

I'd say you are chomping at the bit to get back to the Moy Valley carpark days;)

:):)

He used to hide his lucozade in the bushes and after a couple of laps he’d ask me if I wanted to come in for a swig! They tended to be my fastest laps!!! :)

Hope you’re well M

TbL

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »

Consider yourself lucky you didn’t see the movie M!!!

:):)

He used to hide his lucozade in the bushes and after a couple of laps he’d ask me if I wanted to come in for a swig! They tended to be my fastest laps!!! :)

Hope you’re well M

TbL

Living the dream, C.

I am just counting the days until we can get back in the dating game:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

healy1835 wrote: »
    I owe you one, so I'll happily pace you :)

Sorry to drag this log back up to running related matters, but if there’s room for any more wannabe sub-20 hopefuls, let us know when this is happening. I reckon I can hide behind TbL and take him in the last 200. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »

Sorry to drag this log back up to running related matters, but if there’s room for any more wannabe sub-20 hopefuls, let us know when this is happening. I reckon I can hide behind TbL and take him in the last 200. ;)

Whoopee.... a race. PacemakersPacers at the ready:pac: Might have to arrange live streaming this "event".

Well, it has to happen before the Bogger gets back to full fitness. Unfortunately the pandemic restrictions are on his side. ;)

• Advertisement

The more the merrier D!

Mr H might find himself with a group pacing gig :)

Your plan is also much more elegant than Tangs who used to try and hide behind me and in the last 200 metres try and take me from behind :)

Once lockdown lifted we’ll set a date

TbL

The more the merrier D!

Mr H might find himself with a group pacing gig :)

Your plan is also much more elegant than Tangs who used to try and hide behind me and in the last 200 metres try and take me from behind :)

Once lockdown lifted we’ll set a date

TbL

It was something that crossed my mind in the absence of racing and maybe restrictions lifting is some sort of Boards group TT with pacers and groups setting off at their own target. Kinda like The Day of PBs but not on a track. Anyway I digress. Probably a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

It was something that crossed my mind in the absence of racing and maybe restrictions lifting is some sort of Boards group TT with pacers and groups setting off at their own target. Kinda like The Day of PBs but not on a track. Anyway I digress. Probably a pipe dream.

Everything starts with a dream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Will you be able to get to Dublin for it? ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »

He wouldn’t be allowed.......

That would be the plan assuming restrictions have lifted and Covid is less of a worry and as B pointed out, if I'm allowed..... Lol

It's the closest we'll get to a McGrattan Boards meet up for a long time!

That would be the plan assuming restrictions have lifted and Covid is less of a worry and as B pointed out, if I'm allowed..... Lol

It's the closest we'll get to a McGrattan Boards meet up for a long time!

I love the idea that a Connemara man has an idea, a lilywhite offers help and a Limerick lad suggests making it into something bigger.... Then we force it up to Dublin :pac:

I love the idea that a Connemara man has an idea, a lilywhite offers help and a Limerick lad suggests making it into something bigger.... Then we force it up to Dublin :pac:

Hahaha very good.

To be fair if you were to poll the interest level you'd probably find that 70% of the people are from Dublin. Certainly wouldn't be dragging ye all down to Limerick!

Wed- Sun: was tight and sore all week so I just did easy miles every day, nothing too taxing. I’d planned on doing a session on Sunday but given I was starting a 10k plan on Monday I canned that too

Mon: start of the plan with a bang! 40 mins easy:)

Tue: 40 min progression, didn’t go to plan as both dog and daughter wanted to tag along although it was still technically a progression run albeit a slow one.

Wed: horrible dreary wet day. Plan was for wu/cd with 1.5 miles at 6.55 pace; 3 min jog; 6 x 30 seconds @ 6.00 pace off 60 sec.

Jogged up to local pitch peeled off the layers and got stuck in. Managed it fine except the strides that were a mess, too fast, too slow, to much looking at the watch. Should just have done a length of the pitch with jog back recovery. Surprised to meet my daughter out running herself and I did an extra mile cool down with her on the way home.

Just over 7 miles.

Anyone who has seen me run knows it ain’t pretty, probably not the ugliest running style in the world but it’s right up there.

Think of an emperor penguin making a dash for a piss :)

I’ve been trying to correct it since my recent comeback but it’s bloody hard work and the faster stuff seems to see the form wilt and compensations happening that cause muscle tightness in areas that shouldn’t be working as hard. It seems to manifest itself mainly in the left piriformis and right TFL. After the previous weeks fast 3 mile tempo, the TFL flared up.

I’ve it under control again now but I’m going to start a couple of exercises to strengthen the glute med.

My possibly deluded plans are:

beat Murph in a 5k
    Sub 40 10k
    Race half, min sub 90 min

All leading up to:

December Valencia marathon

Need to start looking at the 1%ers and I’ve started by trying to build up the S&C and tidying up the diet.

I was just under 12 stone around this time last year and I was shocked to be 13 this year despite still eating very very little carbs or sugars (no pasta, bread spuds, chocolate, skittles, crisps, takeaways, booze etc etc).

I do have a predilection for nuts and probably went nuts on the nuts since the summer and they are very calorific.

Down to 12:9 today and I’ll keep going till I get close to 12.

TbL

Jaysis, that's a terrible low bar you've set yourself. Well, the first part of it anyway. :p

• Advertisement

Ah don’t try reform the constipated duck strut!!!

Jaysis, that's a terrible low bar you've set yourself. Well, the first part of it anyway. :p

Tell me about it, but one has to start somewhere...:)

TbL

That sub 20 target of yours is a lot soft but I'll join you later in the year for the other two. Maybe that other lad will be able to fly home to pace us...

That sub 20 target of yours is a lot soft but I'll join you later in the year for the other two. Maybe that other lad will be able to fly home to pace us...

Not sure about that S

I always always struggled with a sub 20 5k, I was too soft to take the pain!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Not sure about that S

I always always struggled with a sub 20 5k, I was too soft to take the pain!

TbL

I’ll happily volunteer for that pacing gig when restrictions are lifted. Have another lad I run with that wants to do it this year too and I’ve volunteered for pacing duties. I could use him as a trial run 🀣

Thur: 40 mins easy plod.

Fri: 40 min progression. Was happy with the way this went the progressions were consistent and I managed them well: 8.45 to 7.25. Just over 5 miles in total. Body actually felt better that evening, a bit of quicker stuff must have helped to loosen the muscles out!

Sat: 5 miles easy with strides @ 6.00 min pace. Jogged up to the pitch and did the strides there.

I would now like to turn to a subject that has been considerably vexing me recently; auld lads and their running shoes/attire. It pains me dearly to see what appears to be acceptable, to a small cadre of Pale dwelling auld lads on this front. Admittedly the transgressors are mercifully few but we must stamp out this menace to our manliness before it’s too late.

When you are in your fifth decade on this earth it entirely unacceptable that you leave the house shod in multi coloured abominations or eclectic designs with different colour laces. I hear talk of charcoal and baby blue socks (yes it’s true) with matching shirt and shorts. One auld lad even had the temerity to suggest different shoes on alternate days. Outrageous! This effrontery must be nipped in the bud forthwith. What’s next, gold plated rope chains with and oversized dollar pendant!

Please, for the love of God, refer to the Gentleman’s Guide to running decorum below:

- shoes should be one colour, preferably black. (a) luminous hues are completely forbidden (b) the shoe shouldn’t discolour from the odd splash of muck or cow ****e

Laces must be the same colour as the shoe
    the shoe should be worn till either, the toes come out the top or the heel comes out the bottom.

Silage baling tape is acceptable to effect minor hole repairs.

The shoe should be moist to touch and exude an aroma of yeast with a hint of mildew.

Socks should be only white, preferable the thick white ones, Slazenger, 10 for €20 from Sports Direct will show that you are au fait with the latest auld lad running style.

If you want to present a more sporting look you can stretch the elastic on the top of the socks and they will slide down your ankle to give that touch of dynamism

The following style is only permitted to auld man runners than can run a mile in under 10 minutes: stretch the elastic on one sock so it slides down your ankle and pull the other sock up towards your knee. This is auld man elite comportment and will attract admiring glances from other members of your community.

Shorts, off white is the recommended colour, on occasions a blue or red stripe is permissible.

A fading grass stain that has survived a few cycles of Daz Blue Whiteness adds a daub of colour to enable you to stand out from the crowd.

Try and pick a pair of shorts than are at least one size smaller than your usual daywear. This enables one to display your manly girth in all its glory.

Tights of any persuasion are completely forbidden, and are frowned upon as the cardinal sin of auld man running style. Tights wearing should be restricted to bank or post office heists.

Running tee shirts, the gold standard here is either an off white cotton “I shot JR” tee or a Status Quo one without the rainbow coloured pattern. Also acceptable are any cotton race shirts predating 2005 or a GA shirt. Having regard to GA shirts, it must be (a) your own county (b) the home kit (c) predate 2005. Important note: unless you’re a Jack the wearing of Pale Blue is uncouth and unacceptable in any circumstances

During the months of July and August it is acceptable, and sometimes desirous that you wear any of the items above, cut off at the sleeves. A “wife beater” vest can also be worn during this window.

There is one final piece de resistance to complete your display of sartorial elegance, however, this is an audacious display and can be regarded as pretentious if the guidelines are not followed to the letter: a John McEnroe, red white and blue, headband can be worn to spectacular effect. No headwear of any other type is acceptable.

TbL

I had a pair of baby pink shoes on this morning, but I’m in my 40’s so I’m ok........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Must resist, too much temptation :D:D:D #manlygirth #fakenews

Must resist, too much temptation :D:D:D #manlygirth #fakenews

I was thinking of ones thighs however your comment just goes to show how depressingly low our moral fortitude has fallen...:) :)

TbL

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    I had a pair of baby pink shoes on this morning, but I’m in my 40’s so I’m ok........

That puts you in your 5th decade....really auld lads like me are exempt from the rules :D

Advertisement