Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

This week was all about getting back into the grove after last weeks step back due to a heavy cold and groin tightness.

While the cold had disappeared the groin has been a bit stubborn and still achey. It’s not too bad when running slow or steady but an injection of any “pace” irritates it so I decided to increase the mileage this week and not do any speed work

Mon: 5 mile easy plod, in miserable weather and fading light. Happy with a bit of company as my daughter ran it with me.

Tue: decided to run this a little faster, ran a local loop of just over 7 miles @ 8.30 pace. Groin didn’t get any worse and was happy with the effort.

Wed: 1 on 1 boxing session. Elbows, knees and kicks on the heavy bag and a savage session on the pads had me in bits. I love these sessions they’re a great physical and mental workout but I don’t think I’d ever get in the ring, I think I’d cry if I got a thump and besides I’m too pretty to countenance facial scarring :)

I had brought my young lad with me and while he had his session I got a 4 mile cool down trot done.

I’m currently making a call out video to Jake Paul to see will he fight me for €50 mil :)

Thur: long stressful day and Mrs TbL was all picture and no sound, so after 6 I decided I’d get out for my first run in the dark in yonks. For all ye Pale dwellers, Connemara dark is different, you can’t actually see sh1t, no fancy street lights around here! I couldn’t find my head torch so I’d to make do with my 10 year olds “toy” one. You’d get more lumens from a glow worms mickey but it was better than nothing. Dangerous running around the village so I drove up to Rossaveal cross and headed up the Seanadh Pheidtin mountain. Nice evening for it but I’m always nervous running in the dark so the pace was slow. 8 miles @ 9.01

Fri: limited window to run today as I was back to the physioterrorist for shoulder and glute needling and I’m not supposed to run for 24 afterwards. Managed to get 4 slow miles done with the dog before work. Was very stiff and slow, auld age, an ugly running style and tight muscles made this a bit of a chore.

If I get out Sat, Sunday will be my 50th straight day running, 6 months ago I’d have thought that physically impossible!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

FFS yer man holding the pads must be 80!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    FFS yer man holding the pads must be 80!!!

Say it to his face if you get a chance, he’s an 8th Dan K1 kickboxing and 5th Dan Karate, l’ll pass on your message :)

TbL

Say it to his face if you get a chance, he’s an 8th Dan K1 kickboxing and 5th Dan Karate, l’ll pass on your message :)

TbL

No problem, after seeing that picture of your ar$e last week I’m afraid of nothing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Only seeing your 2 pics now...is there anyway possible to unsee 1 of them ;)

I used to do a bit of kickboxing! Absolutely loved it, great for the fitness...fair play!

• Advertisement

Only seeing your 2 pics now...is there anyway possible to unsee 1 of them ;)

I used to do a bit of kickboxing! Absolutely loved it, great for the fitness...fair play!

Thanks, I’ll delete the boxing one so :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Tue: decided to run this a little faster, ran a local loop of just over 7 miles @ 8.30 pace. Groin didn’t get any worse and was happy with the effort.

Took off the old specs and peered closer at the screen, as I thought it said 6:30 pace.

Fock sake, man.

Decent week just gone for me. The (forced) focus was more on building up the mileage than speed.

Ended up running my 50th straight day, highest mileage week in donkeys and my longest run in 5 years!!!

Sat: usually go out with my daughter for a few miles before watching Stoke but I got up very late and she’s already run with her brother so I headed out myself around the local roads. Got just over 7 miles done easy.

Sun: had taken an Epsom salt bath Saturday night and the body felt in ok shape for an old lad so I headed off with a target of 15 miles in my head. A bit windy but otherwise a beautiful day for a run. I was doing an out an back run from the house that I won’t be doing again as lots of drivers were complete w@nkers forcing me into the ditch. Had the wind at my back, was constantly checking for “engine warning lights” but felt good and didn’t turn until the 8.7 mile mark.

Despite a strong enough wind into my face I felt good enough to take some detours to add more miles and I didn’t fade until about mile 16 and even then I felt ok. Ended up with 19.1 miles and was slightly peeved that I didn’t do 20. Average pace was around 8.40 and all considered I was delighted with that run. The body also felt good afterwards although my quads took a mashing.

I must have an addiction because Sunday night had me looking at the marathon calendar for 2021...

One 4 miler, two five milers, two 7 milers, one 8 miler and the long run for a total of 55 weekly miles :)

Need to try and now incorporate some speed and mileage in the same week.

Happy Christmas

TbL

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I literally can't think
    Of what to say to you :D

I had to write something for all the wonderful ones you put on my log ;)

Happy Christmas to you & yours!

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I literally can't think
    Of what to say to you :D

I had to write something for all the wonderful ones you put on my log ;)

Happy Christmas to you & yours!

Ah thanks.

It’s very rare anyone posts anything nice on here :)

Have a great Christmas and all the best for 2021

TbL

• Advertisement

It’s very rare anyone posts anything nice on here :)

I think you have LOVELY man boobs......

Just been tipping along a bit aimlessly the last few weeks. The routine and consistency has been there but not much focus. I’ve increased the weekly mileage but have neglected the speed work.

Got a weighing scales as a Christmas present (someone must be trying to tell me something!) and was shocked when I tried it. I’ve a stone on since March and have also lost a lot of muscle definition. Was shocked at the weight gain, I knew I’d a bit on but given that I still don’t eat many carbs and that I was running every day I’d expected to only be a few pounds up. My main vice these days is peanuts and I’ve starting eating them every day, about 200g. Doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s around 1100 calories!!!!FFS!!!

Operation lose the saddlebags has commenced with a target of being back to 12 stone by end of Jan.

Mon: very very stiff quads after the previous days 19 miler but was delighted with normal tightness rather than any flare up from the back. 3 miles very easy

Tue: another stiff 3 miler around the local pitch.

Wed: had a one on one boxing session, did a decent warm up and some core and then into some jumping side kicks on the heavy bag. Felt tight around the hips, back and glutes on these and after about 8 of them my back went into spasm and I had to stop. Was initially very worried but the issue was with the mid to lower back and seemed to be muscular rather than the spine itself. Did some stretching and some easy pad work before calling it a day. Decided to try a short run and while the back was very stiff the running didn’t make it worse. 3 very easy miles.

Thur: had applied ice and heat to the back, still very very tight as were my hips but decided to head out with my work bubble buddy. Running action didn’t appear to make the back any worse but I was stiff and tight.
    10k progression 8.34,8.06,7.56,8.00,7.46,7.11

Fri: belly full of turkey easy 3.2 miles

Sat: 5 easy miles with my daughter

Sun: had planned on 7 or 8 miles but freezing cold and lashing hailstones made me wimp out after 4.5 miles.

Mon: body starting to feel a bit better, got 9.2 miles done steady.

Tue: 6 miles @ 8.20

Wed: boxing session followed by 4 miles around Dangan

Thur: bubble buddy 10k progression, a little faster than last weeks. 8.12,7.45,7.30,7.17,7.02,6.47. Happy enough with that.

Fri: 5 miles easy with my young lad and 62nd straight day running.

Going to try a 2 mile TT next week, it won’t be pretty but I need to get back to some speed work.

The sooner we can get back racing the better!!!

Happy New Year.

TbL

I’m at the age where every bit of me is stiff except the bit that should be :) Is this the male menopause!

This weather isn’t helping, only a few years ago I’d run in any weather in shorts and a t shirt, maybe a base layer if it was Artic! I was only short of a hot water bottle when I ventured out on Saturday and still couldn’t get warm.

Sat: 5k very easy with my daughter, she’s actually starting to get into the running and today she ran 21k off her own bat! I’m delighted as I think exercise is the best thing for kids.

Sun: another cold day but the sun was out. I decided I do 8 to 9 miles with 3 at tempo, I’d 6.50, 6.40 & 6.30 paces in my head but given lack of recent speed work I thought this might be overly ambitious.

Did this on a local loop and I was glad I was wearing a high vis t shirt as the amount of dickhead drivers that bombed past me on slippery side roads was ridiculous. I’d planned on doing the tempo stuff towards the end of the run where I knew the road would be exposed to the sun and no ice. The first few miles had the old engine spluttering and once I got to the stretch I’d to convince myself to speed up, “just try the first one and see...”

Initially the change in pace found me labouring but I got into it. Mile one came in at 6.50, happy with that, mile two I started to fast and had to reel it back, 6.39. At this stage I didn’t care what mile 3 came in at at this stage as I’ve done little speed work. Was tiring badly but not completed banjacked and if it wasn’t for two 90• turns at the end I’d have been quicker than the 6.25.

Jogged home for 8.5 miles in total. Was delighted with that run, Strave said I did 2 miles in 13.02 so I’ll need to revise down my 2 mile trial run time.

Need to try and get some more 6.30 miles in the legs going forward.

The downside is that I was very stiff for the next couple of days.

Mon: a horrible run around a rock hard bumpy frozen solid pitch while stiff as a poker. Only consolation was my son ran it with me.

Tue: another easy 4 miles with the dog. Still stiff still cold!

When I posted here years ago when I did a call out for running dates I’d be inundated with offers. :) Maybe ye new posters don’t know how pretty I am but when restrictions are eased it’d be great if someone would volunteer to pace me to a sub 20 5k. I’m prepared to travel and I bring flowers and chocolates, just ask Tang :)

No races sucks!!!

TbL

Be warned lads, anything he brings, it’s always in small portions!!!

Be warned lads, anything he brings, it’s always in small portions!!!

The best gifts come in small packages...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I owe you one, so I'll happily pace you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The best gifts come in small packages...:)

TbL

That's what B was trying to convince himself on his cold run today.....

healy1835 wrote: »
    I owe you one, so I'll happily pace you :)

Alright, if there’s no one else...:)

Thanks a mil, used to run with some army lads around the plains but if you could pick a less challenging route that’d be great :)

Appreciate it.

The minute restrictions allow travel I’ll be pestering you!!!!

TbL

That's what B was trying to convince himself on his cold run today.....

Yep as I’ve said before I’ve seen bigger things crawl outta apples :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Christ this log needs an age rating or something

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »

Immature :p

It's called sabotage.... I reckon its the reason he hasn't won log of the year... Now I just need to start dragging down the tone of a few other logs and I'm in with a chance for log of the year 2021!

It's called sabotage.... I reckon its the reason he hasn't won log of the year... Now I just need to start dragging down the tone of a few other logs and I'm in with a chance for log of the year 2021!

TbL won log of the year in 2016!!!

TbL won log of the year in 2016!!!

Why he hasn't won in 2020....

Because ReeReeG won??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well excuse me for living :P

I didn’t V!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Immature :p

and yet the sole reason for multiple log of the year nominations including one win :D:D:D

Of course the running might have played a small part too...:pac:

and yet the sole reason for multiple log of the year nominations including one win :D:D:D

Of course the running might have played a small part too...:pac:

And it keeps me amused! Love a good bit of banter :D

• Advertisement

Time to head over to your log and start dragging down the tone there too. Haha

Advertisement