Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

fin12 wrote: »
    Creme de menthe? Best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Any clarification on Mon onwards?
    Obviously you can't use money off vouchers, collect points and 3 day sales are gone.
    It says reduction of alcohol on basis of purchase of another is gone so assume 4 for a tenner is gone.
    But there's nothing about a sale in its own right eg Tesco having Bailey's for 10 for a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TheDriver wrote: »
    Any clarification on Mon onwards?
    Obviously you can't use money off vouchers, collect points and 3 day sales are gone.
    It says reduction of alcohol on basis of purchase of another is gone so assume 4 for a tenner is gone.
    But there's nothing about a sale in its own right eg Tesco having Bailey's for 10 for a week?

You can discount individual products as long as longer than 72 hours.
    No weekend only wine deals like Lidl used to run.

* Product could be a multipack if not for indivudual resale

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can discount individual products as long as longer than 72 hours.
    No weekend only wine deals like Lidl used to run.

* Product could be a multipack if not for indivudual resale

Could they discount for 4 days and run out of stock after 3 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm trying the 470ml Guinness and it's ok, a bit flat. It is ice cold though from the boot of the car so maybe that's why it is alright, I would only have a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,447 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm trying the 470ml Guinness and it's ok, a bit flat. It is ice cold though from the boot of the car so maybe that's why it is alright, I would only have a few.

I had a couple at the weekend, found it grand, it's less messy from overspill that you get with the widget operating. The head does look much poorer and it doesn't fill the pint glass but can live with that.

I'm a 2 or 3 times a year pub Guinness drinker so by no means an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I had a couple at the weekend, found it grand, it's less messy from overspill that you get with the widget operating. The head does look much poorer and it doesn't fill the pint glass but can live with that.

I'm a 2 or 3 times a year pub Guinness drinker so by no means an expert.

I'd be the same. Rarely drink it but got one slab a few months ago. I noticed that too when you open it, it doesn't go all over the place. It has to be super cold though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I'd be the same. Rarely drink it but got one slab a few months ago. I noticed that too when you open it, it doesn't go all over the place. It has to be super cold though I think.

My local S/V have these trays of the 470ml for €20
    I'm on dry January but still had a browse last night !
    Both Springfield and Alsbury have them.
    As I've said before would not be my cup of tea

clevtrev wrote: »
    ha'penny gin and rhubarb gin still 20 for 70cl. the regular gin is nothing to write home about but I'm a convert to their rhubarb - like a gin cocktail!

I'm the exact opposite. Their regular gin is probably my favourite ever gin, and certainly my go-to whenever I'm only having the one or two. The rhubarb one isn't great. You can make your own version with simple syrup and rhubarb, which means you can control the amount/level of rhubarb in the liqueur.

M

My local S/V have these trays of the 470ml for €20
    I think today is the last day for this offer.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Was in Dunnes yesterday and very little on offer, slabs of 470ml Guinness were 25 quid, all whiskey up to full price, therefore even with the 10 of 50 it's the same price as SV. Had a few vouchers burning a hole in my pocket from Christmas but can't see any use for them as the weekly shop is done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

Dunnes Portmarnock have slabs of Guinness (500 ml with widget) for 25 euro (or 20 if U have vouchers). Bud is also 25 euro.

Alll the o'Hara 4 for 10 are now single priced at 2.60 ish as are Paulaners etc.

No specials on wine that I saw.

Remember no vouchers for booze after next Sunday.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

sceach16 wrote: »
    Alll the o'Hara 4 for 10 are now single priced at 2.60 ish as are Paulaners etc.
    This is the approach I was expecting for beers on permanent offer of 3 for €9, 4 for €10 etc.

The unit price would be cut, but not quite to the level that would equate with the multi-buy discount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

24 500ml heinos still 25 euro on Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

500ml Guinness slabs were €25 this afternoon in Dunnes Cornelscourt. Plenty of them there.

Also bought 6 bottles of wine @€;9.84 each. Didn't see any signs for special offers, but I appear to have got €2.95 discount, which would be 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Trays of Coors in Dunnes Stores last night for €25 got two and had a €10 voucher so only worked out €40 for the two trays (This was in Kilnamanagh)

I'm on Dry January now but I'm sure they will be well consumed before there Best Before Date in September :D

Also notice in S/V there was announcements on the tannoy about the new rules about points etc coming in on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I was hoping that the shops would do one last hurrah this week but I've been let down

Trays of Coors in Dunnes Stores last night for €25 got two and had a €10 voucher so only worked out €40 for the two trays (This was in Kilnamanagh)

I'm on Dry January now but I'm sure they will be well consumed before there Best Before Date in September :D

Also notice in S/V there was announcements on the tannoy about the new rules about points etc coming in on Monday
    Here's their notice on it:

https://supervalu.ie/rewards/alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

zell12 wrote: »

Just a reminder.

Mask: Check
    Debit Card: Check
    After 10:30am: Check

And off we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stoofer

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Just a reminder.

Mask: Check
    Debit Card: Check
    After 10:30am: Check

And off we go!
    zell12 wrote: »

A note of caution that this XXL batch is brewed in France instead of Germany.

I noticed Lidl didn't stock it for the XXL specials in the second half of last year so likely supply issues that they've resolved by shifting to French brewer like the regular Perlenbacher lager stocked in Lidl which isn't as nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya got excited then I noticed the packaging had changed, brewed in France not Germany :(

Spotted boxes of six 75cl bottles of wine in Dunnes for €50 earlier. Clearly marked 'do not open, not for individual resale'. Should have taken a photo to check up on the contents but was in a bit of a rush.

Clearly a sign of how the supermarkets intend to work around the new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Quackster wrote: »
    Spotted boxes of six 75cl bottles of wine in Dunnes for €50 earlier. Clearly marked 'do not open, not for individual resale'. Should have taken a photo to check up on the contents but was in a bit of a rush.

It's a pretty obvious way around it. It'll suit me - when a wine I like is on special I always buy a few. Coming up to Christmas I bought 6 at a time with the justification that the box was easier to carry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It's a pretty obvious way around it. It'll suit me - when a wine I like is on special I always buy a few. Coming up to Christmas I bought 6 at a time with the justification that the box was easier to carry :D

6?
    Amateur:D

M

There should be no rules if the sale is above €100, that will discourage the youths.

Yeah, the issue though will be that they're only ever likely to have a few wines available like that at any one time I would think. The flexibility of mix & match is gone.

Hopefully they'll run the occasional 20% or 25% off all wine, without the six bottles minimum requirement. Only time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Quackster wrote:

The SuperValu notice above only says alcohol doesn't count for loyalty points or vouchers. That's also what a guy told me in Dunnes.

No new law about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

Quackster wrote: »

If it is Night Harvest Blanc, it has been on sale for some time. It was not eligible for 25% or 10e off 6 offers. I think it was done as present style box....much of the shippers (miquel ) range is for sale in single bottles.

Incidentally (IMO), much too sharp.

First Up wrote: »
    The SuperValu notice above only says alcohol doesn't count for loyalty points or vouchers. That's also what a guy told me in Dunnes.

No new law about anything else.
    In fairness, they don't need to mention the multi-buy ban in that notice. It's specifically aimed at informing customers about the new loyalty voucher rules to avoid embarrassment at the checkout.

It's self-evident anyway when you look at the supermarket shelves, Dunnes has already done away with all the multi-buy beer deals (4 for €10 etc) that used to be a permanent fixture.

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    If it is Night Harvest Blanc, it has been on sale for some time. It was not eligible for 25% or 10e off 6 offers. I think it was done as present style box....much of the shippers (miquel ) range is for sale in single bottles.

Incidentally (IMO), much too sharp.
    The boxes I saw were a red, think it was a merlot. Will take a closer look the next day I'm in. Hadn't noticed them in there before.

Advertisement