Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Seve OB wrote: »
    No of course it won’t be allowed, that’s the whole point of this legislation afaik. Having said that, I don’t think there is anything to stop them just reducing individual prices of those 4 for 10 to 2.50 each.
    Dunnes have started doing something like this, the bottles that would have been 4 for 10 are now reduced by like 15-25 cent each. Not reduced to 2.50, though, some are bit more than 2.50, some are a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Just back from my local Centra, Blackrock, Co. Louth, got slabs of Bud €20! Also Heineken and Bulmers €25 for 24! Spare me the Budwater comments please!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Went down and got 8 bottles for €20 just in case

As was said places will likely do bottles at €2.50 each etc. You just have to do the maths itself

This rule is a load of waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This rule is a load of waffle

True but let's see what happens on Monday.
    Wait till minimum pricing comes in :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

okidoki987 wrote: »
    True but let's see what happens on Monday.
    Wait till minimum pricing comes in :eek:.

Indeed. When the minimum pricing comes in, we will have to spend more disposable income on alcohol, leaving even less for feeding the family and kiddies. Shame really, but needs must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Was in Dunnes earlier, and the swithwicks 4 for €10 gone already but what they have done that a lot here suspected Would happen is are selling each bottle for €2.60 so does work out more or less the same. Are doing similar with other craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Changing the prices here will be pointless if they dont change them in Northern Ireland

Encouraging people to go up and buy there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Changing the prices here will be pointless if they dont change them in Northern Ireland

That is why it was not introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Guinness extra stout 500ml can down to 2 euro in tesco. Unfortunately this is never cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Dunnes in Naas this eve, slabs of 500ml Guinness for 25 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

A dark day, I hope you had a booze bargains wake last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭POBox19

Email from Tesco this morning;
    "From January 11th 2021, these changes will mean you will no longer be able to spend Clubcard vouchers or coupons on alcohol. You will also not be able to collect Clubcard points on any alcoholic products."
    Is the party over?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Changing the prices here will be pointless if they don't change them in Northern Ireland

On dry January but brought enough to do me into the summer after that (once its safe to) myself and my mates will take turns going to Jonesborough etc. to stock up on drink.

I don't abuse alcohol only have a couple at the weekend - But I'm not parting with anymore of my hard earned money for one of the last enjoyments that I have left.

The XXL beer is brewed in France so don’t bother buying unless someone can confirm its any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

POBox19 wrote: »
    Email from Tesco this morning;
    "From January 11th 2021, these changes will mean you will no longer be able to spend Clubcard vouchers or coupons on alcohol. You will also not be able to collect Clubcard points on any alcoholic products."
    Is the party over?

Is there anything to be said for a booze cruise, father?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

fin12 wrote: »
    The XXL beer is brewed in France so don’t bother buying unless someone can confirm its any good?

Its not a patch on the German brewed XXL stuff in my opinion, bought a pack of it , wont be buying it again . Still drank it though in good auld alco style fashion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Got the crafty brewing christmas pack from Lidl over Xmas. Really enjoyed it, very nice beers all round. Variety is the spice of life!

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Its not a patch on the German brewed XXL stuff in my opinion, bought a pack of it , wont be buying it again . Still drank it though in good auld alco style fasion :D

Such a pity. That was really nice when brewed in Germany

rob316 wrote: »
    Got the crafty brewing christmas pack from Lidl over Xmas. Really enjoyed it, very nice beers all round. Variety is the spice of life!

I’ve seen a good few of the boxes left in a Few stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

fin12 wrote: »
    andrew1977 wrote: »
    Its not a patch on the German brewed XXL stuff in my opinion, bought a pack of it , wont be buying it again . Still drank it though in good auld alco style fashion :D

Picked up one sample box instead of my usual 6 or 7 and the verdict.....

The cardboard packaging is better than the German one but the beer isn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

rob316 wrote: »

Got it myself. Really enjoyed all the beers. The seasonal special was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Individual 500ml cans of Guinness down to €1.50 in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone know how many of the 660ml bottles ordinarily come in a case? LIke if it was 12, Tesco could just do 12 for 30 which is the same as 4 for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone know how many of the 660ml bottles ordinarily come in a case? LIke if it was 12, Tesco could just do 12 for 30 which is the same as 4 for a tenner.

I didn’t know that the 660ml bottles came in a case!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

seanl77 wrote: »
    Individual 500ml cans of Guinness down to €1.50 in tesco

Heading for €40 for a crates worth!

Crates of 500ml Guinness were €25 in Dunne's Pavilions last night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tazz T wrote:
    Is there anything to be said for a booze cruise, father?

Worth thinking about. I go to France pretty regularly and the Irish excise duty alone on the wine I bring back is more than the cost of the ferry. Plus you get twice the quality for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Crates of 500ml Guinness were €25 in Dunne's Pavilions last night

I suspect that when Guinness introduced those 470ml cans they lost a lot of their customer base on principle.

Somewhere in Ireland there is a mountain of that crap costing them money to store and now after realising the massive error of their greedy ways they have suddenly and very quietly found the ability to revert back to manufacturing the regular sized can and are trying to claw back customers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I suspect that when Guinness introduced those 470ml cans they lost a lot of their customer base on principle.

Somewhere in Ireland there is a mountain of that crap costing them money to store and now after realising the massive error of their greedy ways they have suddenly and very quietly found the ability to revert back to manufacturing the regular sized can and are trying to claw back customers.

Yes would say there is pallets of the 470ml lying in warehouse somewhere no doubt they will shift it at the right price to punters between now and Paddies day before it goes out of date !

Was in TESCO over the last few weeks and noticed they where selling in loose in boxes for €9 for a full box of cans :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If that stupid glass they introduced is anything to go by, I'd doubt if they were so quick to listen to customers.

Advertisement