Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

Im a huge motorsport fan, and have witnessed loads of horrible incident live on TV. Sennas being the most infamous.
    But for me it had to be Marco Simoncellis crash in Malaysia, Rossi his best mate had unfortunate part to play in his death, which as a huge Rossi fan hurts

For me the worst was Dan Wheldon.
    UK driver went to America and did brilliant for himself.
    Didn't have a full-time drive in 2011 but got into the Indy 500. I backed him during the race at 16/1 and the leader crashed on the final corner, Wheldon just passed him before the line.
    Because of this he got a drive at the final race of the season in Las Vegas. He had to start from last and I think the deal was that if he won then himself and a competition winner would split a million dollars.
    The night of the race I'd forgotten about it and when I remembered I got my dad to put it on, think it was lap 6 when we put it on. I remember it was on-board with him and I was explaining the story to my dad and you could see an accident ahead. The camera cuts to a wide shot and it just looks like multiple plane crashes happening. In IndyCar people walk away from insane crashes all the time but this was different straightaway, I told my dad to put it off because I was going to be sick. After all that happened that year it had to be him who drew the short straw that day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The exploding whale wasn’t live, but it was still one of the greatest pieces of inadvertent television ever. 50 years ago last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

The night that kid Hughie told Tubridy he wanted to fly planes into skyscrapers on live TV.

Epic stuff altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih3SZbJz8wg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The exploding whale wasn’t live, but it was still one of the greatest pieces of inadvertent television ever. 50 years ago last year.

It is like a plot from the Simpsons!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

C__MC wrote: »
    When pat kenny got a bollocking for his high salary in RTE during the Boom
    I just remember the words of your man as it cut to an add
    "Now I'm going off to sue an woman as I might make a couple of grand"
    It was hilarious

Pat Kenny saying "I've been excited all night" about his attractive co host of the Eurovision (88 I think) delivered with the sexual magnetism of a robot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I can't remember if it was People in Need on RTE or some other charidee show, but I remember Van Damme being on as a guest and an actress from Eastenders. Van Damme was around the peak of his career which I'd say was early 90's and I'm not sure if it was the pressure of being amongst the stellar talent at rte of if it the event was sponsored by Pablo Escobar, but I remember him being really creepy and smarmy trying to shift yer wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the first press conference about the first lockdown . it was like something out of armagetton movie. everyione just stopped what ever they were doing and looked on as it unfolded. something i thought we would never see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Irish politicians are apt to say the weirdest things. Here's Pat Rabbitte at the switchover to Saorview transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I can't remember if it was People in Need on RTE or some other charidee show, but I remember Van Damme being on as a guest and an actress from Eastenders. Van Damme was around the peak of his career which I'd say was early 90's and I'm not sure if it was the pressure of being amongst the stellar talent at rte of if it the event was sponsored by Pablo Escobar, but I remember him being really creepy and smarmy trying to shift yer wan.

I dont know if it was the same event but I remember Sean Moncrief interviewing him at some packed venue and Van Damme mocking him for sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,899 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont know if it was the same event but I remember Sean Moncrief interviewing him at some packed venue and Van Damme mocking him for sweating.
    Remember when Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were on the Late Late promoting 21 Jump Street and they basically started bullying poor Tubridy, Jonah Hill especially, asking if he was nervous etc, it was pure cringe :D

• Advertisement

I think so, doing some googling showed that there was an event in Hard Rock cafe hosted by Moncrieff.

Bill O'Reilly has a melt down because he can't understand the phrase 'to play us out'

Silly arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Wow, too much red meat :confused:

That guys fit to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭54and56

Michael O'Brien from Clonmel.
    An amazing man, so brave.

An amazing moment

https://youtu.be/2iQGczIx6Sg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bill O'Reilly has a melt down because he can't understand the phrase 'to play us out'

Silly arse!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/11/bill-oreilly-gets-new-show-on-radio-station-owned-by-trump-ally.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

The james whale radio show

Where the whale exploded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Yeah, I had already brought this up in the first few pages. Was glad to hear another perspective. Would love to see that footage again. By being sponsored by Pablo Escobar, you mean everyone looked like they were on gear or just Van Damme?

Yeah, I had already brought this up in the first few pages. Was glad to hear another perspective. Would love to see that footage again. By being sponsored by Pablo Escobar, you mean everyone looked like they were on gear or just Van Damme?

Sorry I missed it. I seem to remember that Van Damme had addiction issues back in the day. I put it down to him being high. The bit I'm thinking of was him arm wrestling the Eastenders actress Michelle Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Silly arse!

That's hillarious, how have i not seen that before??!! His Wiki page makes for interesting reading too.

Great thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

1996 Olympics in Atlanta.
    Francie Barrett boxing for Ireland.
    A traveller from Tuam, coached by the local barber named Chick. It was a great story. A decent sportsman doing everyone proud and making a bit of history for his people.

Until Marty Morrissey went down to interview Francie's family one night for RTE...
    A gathering of various Tuam people, headed by numerous local travellers, gathered round a barrell on fire, replete with every visual stereotype you could imagine. And Marty famously asks Mrs Barrett, or one of the assembled women, in words I can't exactly remember, if Francie had ever practiced his boxing skills on her.... you know, that sorta thing...
    And that man remains one of RTE's most prominent presenters to this day.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    That's hillarious, how have i not seen that before??!! His Wiki page makes for interesting reading too.

Great thread!
    Charlie Brooker showed the clip and did a pisstake of it on Screenwipe.
    Bill was threatening to move over here when he retired, thank God he didn't.
    Imagine bumping into him in the pub and spilling his pint! It would be like the Trainspotting scene with Begby.

A traveller from Tuam, coached by the local barber named Chick. It was a great story. A decent sportsman doing everyone proud and making a bit of history for his people.

Until Marty Morrissey went down to interview Francie's family one night for RTE...
    A gathering of various Tuam people, headed by numerous local travellers, gathered round a barrell on fire, replete with every visual stereotype you could imagine. And Marty famously asks Mrs Barrett, or one of the assembled women, in words I can't exactly remember, if Francie had ever practiced his boxing skills on her.... you know, that sorta thing...

Oh man, I remember that especially the barrel of fire. Annoyed I didn’t think of it.

Sorry I missed it. I seem to remember that Van Damme had addiction issues back in the day. I put it down to him being high. The bit I'm thinking of was him arm wrestling the Eastenders actress Michelle Collins.

No need to apologize, I’m glad someone else remembers it.

It was so weird to see Van Damme who as you say was a major star at the time being on People in Need. But he didn’t provide much entertainment, intentionally anyway.

Chris Penn, Sean’s brother, appeared on good grief Moncrieff in the 90s. Penn and Moncrieff didn’t really develop a good repoire. It culminated in Penn threatening Moncrieff’s physical safety in front of a live studio audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

nullzero wrote: »
    To be fair it's probably the worst thing ever to be broadcast live.

You’ve obviously never watched the Eurovision.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The doves of peace being incinerated during the opening ceremony of the Seoul Olympics and the assasination of Lee Harvey Oswald on prime time TV are standouts.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭interlocked

I posted this in another thread years ago

"Well, it could be the night on the Late Late that Gay had to take off his trousers before the producer/floor manager would agree for the programme to go off the air. He had earlier made a couple of lads do the same in order to win a trouser press and then made them return to the audience and watch the rest of the show in their y fronts alongside their partners.

When he was wrapping the show up, the producer/floor manager came up to him on camera and said that the switchboard was lit up and that they weren't going off air until Gay took off his own trousers. it was probably a set up but it was the talk of the place for the next week.

Bur more probably, the night on the show that a stocious Ollie Reed did press ups over a prostate Susan George (fellow guest) and er, kept forgetting to press up, He then took off his shirt and proceeded to do a handstand on the back of a chair.

They had to bring him back the following Saturday to apologise.....

Now THAT was entertainment."

I would pay good money to see that again, I was only a kid but it's still burned into the synapses, I guess the tapes must have been wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Bit of a false memory there old boy, Francie was a hillside man from galway, Chicks barber shop was down at the end of shop st kind of accross from juries, that interview was filmed out at hillside, the ould brain is a funny thing all right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paleoperson2

John Alridge calmly explaining to the official in an Irish way that he was allowed to go on as a substitute in USA 94, broadcast to countless millions around the world.

Pat Kenny bizarrely ripping up the Late Late Toy show tickets when the winner said she wouldn't go.

Luke O' Neill - nothing specific, just in general.

I would say "pontificating" guy was the best though hands down - he was right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Luke O' Neill - nothing specific, just in general.

He was rocking out with Mindy on the rte countdown the other day - would be a great one to go for a few pints with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It is like a plot from the Simpsons!

Actually, now I re-watch it, the interview with the chap who says "we have never done this before, so we don't know how much explosive to use" reminds me of a very similar discussion we had with some EOD blokes in Iraq. We had lost an armored vehicle off the side of a cliff and just couldn't get the thing out again. We told the EOD blokes to blow it up.

They came to brief the CO that evening, and outright said "There is nothing in the manual for this, we don't have a clue what it'll take, so we wandered over to the artillery guys and asked them for 15 155mm shells. We figure that'll be enough"

The CO just looked at him gape-jawed. "Enough for the truck, the cliff, and the village at the top of the cliff. Give me a plan B..."
    (Eventually went with linear shaped charges)

Advertisement