Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids playing outside together (in covid times)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’m not vulnerable personally but providing support to older vulnerable adult with shopping etc.

Kids down my way playing away, mixing, screaming, shouting etc on the green and that’s the parents own decision. They are not close enough to stop me on my walk so no harm done.

But what is annoying me is that they have taken to ringing people’s door bells and running away. I’ve had it twice daily. I am keeping to my household and I don’t want them on my property or mauling the door handles

I’ve found who the culprit is and did not approach the parents yet as I would have turn strips off them and would not have been productive or helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Upon going to local Dunnes last night there were teenagers everywhere in groups. It was the same during the first lockdown though.
    Surely teenagers meeting in groups can spread the disease? Neither the parents nor Garda care so whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

jellybear wrote: »
    For parents allowing their children out, all day, unsupervised, please think of the effects this has on others. There is rarely a quiet time for vulnerable people to go for a walk in their own estate (there are children playing outside my house since 11am, non stop), it is very unfair on people working from home who are on calls etc (maybe I'm just unlucky to have children in my estate who scream to communicate with each other).

The official advice is that you can mix with one other household outdoors...not a different household per child, depending on who their friends are, which is what I'm seeing.

I'm so fed up sitting in my house, following all the advice, only to look out and see this crap every day. The parents may aswell be standing there giving me the two fingers, because that's basically what they're doing by allowing this all day, every day.

Rant over.
    It's difficult, but kids are not generally quiet. That's the way they are. Best off to just accept it and work around it as best you can. Maybe an early walk in the morning before they are up and about.

anewme wrote: »
    But what is annoying me is that they have taken to ringing people’s door bells and running away. I’ve had it twice daily. I am keeping to my household and I don’t want them on my property or mauling the door handles

I’ve found who the culprit is and did not approach the parents yet as I would have turn strips off them and would not have been productive or helpful.
    Parents may not be aware. We had a note placed on our residents Facebook page that some children were doing this and requesting parents to have a word with their children. It has stopped now as far as I'm aware, certainly no further complaints. Just mention it nicely - no need to mention germs on the door handles etc. Parents generally don't want their kids annoying people and most are reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭jellybear

JDxtra wrote: »
    It's difficult, but kids are not generally quiet. That's the way they are. Best of just accept it and work around it as best you can. Maybe an early walk in the morning before they are up and about.

Oh I know and I don't expect them to be quiet...I guess you'd have to hear it to know where I'm coming from :) I fully appreciate kids need to be out playing, don't get me wrong, but it's the large groups I have an issue with. I just can't understand the blatant disregard for the advice to only mix with one other household. It means others aren't trying to get by large groups on narrow paths. All of this is very unique to my circumstances, where I live etc so I know others won't agree or see where I'm coming from.

I have been going out early morning and late evening as these are quieter times. I suppose having a busy toddler, it would be nice to feel comfortable getting out for a walk with him during the day, but unfortunately, it's not something I'm comfortable doing with cases so high etc. It's a personal choice that I'm making due to being high risk, which I don't expect others to agree with, and that's fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No issues with anyone who wants to keep theirs inside, but kids need a few friends and to be outside being kids. To not permit it is more cruel.

This is why we have a problem. Everyone thinks that their personal situation/opinion should override the expert opinion of NPHET. Most of us are guilty of it, if we're being honest.

Of course kids need friends and need to play but that needs to be restricted until we are in a better place. When they are in school, they are subject to restrictions & Covid reduction measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

(post removed)

Parents may not be aware. We had a note placed on our residents Facebook page that some children were doing this and requesting parents to have a word withtheir children. It has stopped now as far as I'm aware, certainly no further complaints. Just mention it nicely - no need to mention germs on the door handles etc. Parents generally don't want their kids annoying people and most are reasonable.

The person whose child it is is known to be fiery and defensive over kids and if they take me the wrong way there would be killings, hence I didn’t call near the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sounds like you just hate children tbh. Nasty post.

I didn't read it like that tbh, a little one sided maybe but not nasty, we all need to be mindful of everyone affected by this.

Didn’t read it nasty at all either.

People need to be mindful that everyone has their challenges in this pandemic and It’s about respect for everyone’s situation.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    This is why we have a problem. Everyone thinks that their personal situation/opinion should override the expert opinion of NPHET. Most of us are guilty of it, if we're being honest.

Of course kids need friends and need to play but that needs to be restricted until we are in a better place. When they are in school, they are subject to restrictions & Covid reduction measures.

Now hold on a second, that comment is unfair. I did not visit any restaurant, bar or any social venue in December. I never saw many members of my family over Christmas because the lockdown pulled the shutters down. I made the sacrifices, I was sensible and I have not contributed to the current problem.

Me allowing my kids to kick a ball around outside with a couple of friends is extremely low risk. There is only so much screen time they can have, they need to be outside and be kids.

For all we know (at the moment) they'll be back in school on Monday. They'll be then mixing with a much wider circle of other kids (in school and going to/from school).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Now hold on a second, that comment is unfair. I did not visit any restaurant, bar or any social venue in December. I never saw many members of my family over Christmas because the lockdown pulled the shutters down. I made the sacrifices, I was sensible and I have not contributed to the current problem.

Me allowing my kids to kick a ball around outside with a couple of friends is extremely low risk. There is only so much screen time they can have, they need to be outside and be kids.

For all we know (at the moment) they'll be back in school on Monday. They'll be then mixing with a much wider circle of other kids (in school and going to/from school).

Unfair or not, households mixing is the reason we have a problem regardless of whether it is in a garden or a house or a restaurant. I'd be pretty confident that schools will not be open next week, or at least not to full capacity.

This is such a contentious issue.

Nothing is zero risk. Me allowing some minor flexability with children in an outdoor setting does not even remotely compare to some of the other stupid things people have done in December and over Christmas.

These people are the problem, not a few kids kicking a ball around on a green. Others will disagree with me, that’s fine. To me it’s about having a sensible, safe balance. Remember NPHET do not have a graph measuring our childrens mental health that gets shown everyday on the 6.01 news.

This is such a contentious issue.

Nothing is zero risk. Me allowing some minor flexability with children in an outdoor setting does not even remotely compare to some of the other stupid things people have done in December and over Christmas.

These people are the problem, not a few kids kicking a ball around on a green. Others will disagree with me, that’s fine. To me it’s about having a sensible, safe balance. Remember NPHET do not have a graph measuring our childrens mental health that gets shown everyday on the 6.01 news.

Agreed. It is contentious and in the scheme of things it is lower risk. Truth be told Ronan Glynn really made me sit up and think yesterday. In my opinion it is worth following the regulations to the letter for the next 4 weeks in the hope that enough people do likewise so as to dramatically drop numbers. I'm a teacher and want to get in front of my students as soon as possible. I also really really miss my extended family. Best wishes to you andyour family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Unfair or not, households mixing is the reason we have a problem regardless of whether it is in a garden or a house or a restaurant. I'd be pretty confident that schools will not be open next week, or at least not to full capacity.

Kids were mixing at school and at sport since September, no issues, they're not the ones to blame.

bladespin wrote: »
    Kids were mixing at school and at sport since September, no issues, they're not the ones to blame.

It's not about blame. It's just a case of less people mixing equals less transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

To be clear, I wouldn’t be comfortable with all day every day but ours is supervised, for a short period and not a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Look, you shouldn't be letting your kids out mixing. Just use your brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

timeToLive wrote: »
    Look, you shouldn't be letting your kids out mixing. Just use your brains.

Brain dead! Use yours, firstly you clearly haven’t got kids!
    They’ve been in school and playing outside crawling all ove each other for 5 months and and and........nothing happened.

You stay away from kids and don’t worry your little brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

TallyRand wrote: »
    Brain dead! Use yours, firstly you clearly haven’t got kids!
    They’ve been in school and playing outside crawling all ove each other for 5 months and and and........nothing happened.

You stay away from kids and don’t worry your little brain.

So you don't put your seatbelt on once in the car and you don't have an accident does that mean it's ok to never have your belt on ? Sure you did it before and nothing happened??

The last 5 months haven't had the level of infection in the community as it does now. So the chances of your kids catching it now is much higher than before.

Also the having children/ not having children line is just boring at this stage. Anyone can have an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Oh Fcuk off with this s**t.

Kids are not the super spreaders they were thought to be.
    Playing out in the open air is about as low risk as it comes.

All summer kids played GAA and other sports together and there was no major spread.

Those are the restrictions set out by nepht. If you're not going to follow the guidelines then you're part of the problem.

Were in a lockdown here. Schools are about to close, If the kids keep socializing it will be pointless. Nobody should be mingling until we get this under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Right now I wouldn't.
    Personally when cases were under control in our community I allowed my kids to meet friends, but only outside. No popcorn, snacking, films, or gaming inside. They were meeting them in school anyway.
    But cases are far too high right now. Plus we've been asked to limit our contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....Schools are about to close,...

Did they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We stopped our kids from playing outside as they want to go to nana for the week. They had no contact with other kids since before xmas. Weather helping alot here. No risk going to nana as no contact with anyone else.

But I see no harm with kids playing outside, they had sports in level 5 before also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭thomas 123

bladespin wrote: »

You are aware that there have been many outbreaks in schools to date right? You can browse boards if you want some specific examples.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    You are aware that there have been many outbreaks in schools to date right? You can browse boards if you want some specific examples.

You aware there no evidence of any outbreaks in out door sports with kids?

You aware there no evidence of any outbreaks in out door sports with kids?

Did I say outdoor sports? Not sure what that’s got to do with schools that operate indoors primarily.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Did I say outdoor sports? Not sure what that’s got to do with schools that operate indoors primarily.

Well the thread is about outdoor and the person you replied to also mention sports

Well the thread is about outdoor and the person you replied to also mention sports

Great, so your point is nothing to do with mine. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭corks finest

Acosta wrote: »
    People need to adapt to whatever the current state of the virus is, but unfortunately too many can't, hence the current high numbers. I think there's many points since last March when kids from other households playing together and in general people doing different things together would have been fine, once a bit of cop on came into it. However we're at the worst point of the pandemic since last March. Nobody should be mixing with anyone outside the house unless it's totally necessary.

Here in Carrigaline it's a crazy situation from the start ref kids mixing from different households, the park is packed normally, skateboard part especially, no social distancing at all, smallies and yummie mummies mixing as normal, at weekends gangs of teens all unmasked as in the park roaming around the gaff without a care in the world, parental care and responsibility is gone

Advertisement