Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids playing outside together (in covid times)

Options
  • 04-01-2021 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I live in an estate with a green area. My kids are 9, 7 and 5 - we've mainly kept them in during the pandemic. I take them to a beach close by every day for a runaround. Or the woods or fields close by too. We have met my eldest best friend on the beach a handful of times.. Always for a short time.

Every day there are about ten kids playing outside all day. Sometimes more.. Lots of shrieking and kids going by on go carts. My kids can hear them and it seems wrong that my 3 are inside with too much screen time, etc. Mixture of households outside with no adults around. They have stopped calling to our door as I said kids couldn't come out because of corona virus. When we drive in or out my youngest begs to be left out to play... I'm questioning myself at this stage.. Do you let your kids play outside with others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

Polly701 wrote: »
    I live in an estate with a green area. My kids are 9, 7 and 5 - we've mainly kept them in during the pandemic. I take them to a beach close by every day for a runaround. Or the woods or fields close by too. We have met my eldest best friend on the beach a handful of times.. Always for a short time.

Every day there are about ten kids playing outside all day. Sometimes more.. Lots of shrieking and kids going by on go carts. My kids can hear them and it seems wrong that my 3 are inside with too much screen time, etc. Mixture of households outside with no adults around. They have stopped calling to our door as I said kids couldn't come out because of corona virus. When we drive in or out my youngest begs to be left out to play... I'm questioning myself at this stage.. Do you let your kids play outside with others?

People need to adapt to whatever the current state of the virus is, but unfortunately too many can't, hence the current high numbers. I think there's many points since last March when kids from other households playing together and in general people doing different things together would have been fine, once a bit of cop on came into it. However we're at the worst point of the pandemic since last March. Nobody should be mixing with anyone outside the house unless it's totally necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Mine are 15,5 and 4 we live facing a big green and there's gangs of kids out playing.
    I've kept mine in.

If they are keeping schools closed to stop kids mixing and keep numbers down why would you let your children out to mix with high cases of CovID out there?

Everyone will have a different opinion. But they are getting exercise and fresh air with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I let mine out to play over Christmas. I was under pressure from them and gave in. I regret it now and won’t be doing it for the foreseeable future. I think there’s a lot of parents thinking that if other parents are doing it, it must be ok and getting a false sense of reassurance from that. I am surprised by the amount of kids playing on the green and also going in and out of each houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

If they can go to school they should be allowed outside to play.

Being outside in the fresh air is safer than being in cramped classrooms and buses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If they can go to school they should be allowed outside to play.

Being outside in the fresh air is safer than being in cramped classrooms and buses.

Has your views changed this week since they're not in school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Definitely not at the moment. EVERYBODY needs to stay in bar true essentials or a bit of exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LAZYIRISH

Mine are let out to play with there friends they dont play every day together but when its beautiful and sunny like today they go out for a kick about or a cycle , for an hour or 2, my eldest is 15 and 2nd is 10, the 7 year old has his friend call over once in a blue moon but he plays with his siblings and there friends sometimes. If my kids were sick I'd keep them in and the same for their parents. The 15 year old had been going to his soccer and strength & conditioning training over this whole pandemic no problems, presuming itll be back up again for them in few weeks. No outbreaks in his school of nearly 800 kids, either same as the other two. I've seen the other side of scaring the **** out of kids can do. I wouldn't like to have my kids mentally ill worrying about this. I bring them to beach they have there wetsuits&boards so they have been out enjoying the surf too. The two smaller kids (4& 9months)are usually with me obviously too young to be meeting friends and only see their friends at playschool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ours is only 5 but he plays the odd day outside with the neighbours kids. Max of four of them and it’s supervised. Parents miles apart. Too cold for long play sessions right now anyways. Our two year old plays on our lawn but doesn’t really interact with anyone

It’s really our only risk factor right now and it’s worth it. He needs the fresh air and the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Definitely not at the moment. EVERYBODY needs to stay in bar true essentials or a bit of exercise.
    Oh Fcuk off with this s**t.

Kids are not the super spreaders they were thought to be.
    Playing out in the open air is about as low risk as it comes.

All summer kids played GAA and other sports together and there was no major spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

My 7yr old has a group of 4 other kids that meet up for play dates etc, wont be stopping that, she really suffered during the first lockdown and it took her months to get back to herself, i wont be doing that to her again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

All summer kids played GAA and other sports together and there was no major spread.

Summer not winter. Schools were closed and numbers were low. Numbers were not in the mid thousands. Outbreaks in a a number of schools the week before Christmas in Drogheda with 350 third years told to stay at home from one school after 14 cases, unreported of course. And no contact tracing as it was over the weekend to keep the numbers deflated.

Now Drogheda has the worst incidence rate in the country (circa 1000).

That's not a coincidence.

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1345006866829463552

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We don't live in an Estate so no kids playing outside our house. But No, our kids are not mixing with other households at the moment.
    No playdates or meeting friends outside of school.
    They both went back to GAA over the Summer and trained when it was permitted but both finished up before Christmas when Training ended. They both went to their other outdoor activities.
    They exercise most days with one or both of us. My Husband also has home gym equipment some of which they use on wet days.

Acosta wrote: »

That has been disputed as fake news , I' think you should research more into what you just posted as it has been proven to be nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That has since been debunked as nonsense.

That has since been debunked as nonsense.

Fair enough. I would have thought the BBC could be trusted on such a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

I thinks its ok to have kids playing outside. The scientists tell us the schools are safe and they are indoors. So do we believe the scientists or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

The advice is very simple. Keep to your own household. Children (or anyone) should not be mixing with other households unnecessarily. If you choose to ignore that advice you are part of the problem no matter what excuse you tell yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, mine are out and playing, not allowed enter other households etc but cycling, football are fine with me, they know all the guidelines etc and I trust them to follow as best they can, there aren't a lot of other kids in our area so their group pretty much consists of one or two from one other family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

For parents allowing their children out, all day, unsupervised, please think of the effects this has on others. There is rarely a quiet time for vulnerable people to go for a walk in their own estate (there are children playing outside my house since 11am, non stop), it is very unfair on people working from home who are on calls etc (maybe I'm just unlucky to have children in my estate who scream to communicate with each other).

The official advice is that you can mix with one other household outdoors...not a different household per child, depending on who their friends are, which is what I'm seeing.

I'm so fed up sitting in my house, following all the advice, only to look out and see this crap every day. The parents may aswell be standing there giving me the two fingers, because that's basically what they're doing by allowing this all day, every day.

Rant over.

jellybear wrote: »
    For parents allowing their children out, all day, unsupervised, please think of the effects this has on others. There is rarely a quiet time for vulnerable people to go for a walk in their own estate (there are children playing outside my house since 11am, non stop), it is very unfair on people working from home who are on calls etc (maybe I'm just unlucky to have children in my estate who scream to communicate with each other).

Surely anyone vulnerable etc can go for a walk while the kids are out, don't see how that would stop them tbh.
    I've worked from home during the heatwave when the kids were out all the time, never had an issue - chose a room towards the rear of the house which would be quiet.

The official advice is that you can mix with one other household outdoors...not a different household per child, depending on who their friends are, which is what I'm seeing.

I'm so fed up sitting in my house, following all the advice, only to look out and see this crap every day. The parents may aswell be standing there giving me the two fingers, because that's basically what they're doing by allowing this all day, every day.

Rant over.

Close the curtains and mind your business maybe?

bladespin wrote: »
    Surely anyone vulnerable etc can go for a walk while the kids are out, don't see how that would stop them tbh.
    I've worked from home during the heatwave when the kids were out all the time, never had an issue - chose a room towards the rear of the house which would be quiet.

I'm not sure if you're in the vulnerable category or not, but as someone who is, that's much easier said than done. I do not feel comfortable walking past, or sometimes through, large groups of children who do not move, no matter how nicely they're asked.
    Again, not everyone is in a position to chose a room in a quieter position.
    Not trying to be a pain or argumentative but unfortunately not everyone has the options you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

That was debunked as fake news by consultants all over london hospitals. A bit of research will tell you that.

I'm not sure if you're in the vulnerable category or not, but as someone who is, that's much easier said than done. I do not feel comfortable walking past, or sometimes through, large groups of children who do not move, no matter how nicely they're asked.
    Again, not everyone is in a position to chose a room in a quieter position.
    Not trying to be a pain or argumentative but unfortunately not everyone has the options you do.

Not vulnerable personally (well anymore than anyone else really) but we do have several who would be classed as such close by, never had a problem, the boys actively look out for them (even do some shopping etc), would suggest stopping trying to see the bogey man in the local kids, might help with the situation, the kids been through just as much as someone in your position, if not more.

bladespin wrote: »
    Not vulnerable personally (well anymore than anyone else really) but we do have several who would be classed as such close by, never had a problem, the boys actively look out for them (even do some shopping etc), would suggest stopping trying to see the bogey man in the local kids, might help with the situation, the kids been through just as much as someone in your position, if not more.

We'll have to agree to disagree so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Close the curtains and mind your business maybe?

What kind of response is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There is absolutely no way I'm keeping my children inside. They have been and will continue to play with a few of their friends kicking a ball at the green, cycling around etc.

No issues with anyone who wants to keep theirs inside, but kids need a few friends and to be outside being kids. To not permit it is more cruel.

Advertisement