Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video teaching

Options
  • 31-12-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I'm familiar with goggle classroom. Is goggle meets the best method for video teaching? How does it work exactly? Our students use goggle classroom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've used Microsoft Teams, Google classrooms and zoom.

My personal preference for teaching is Teams. Easier for students to use, class groups, etc. Just my preference due to access for all office like PowerPoint, word, etc although Google has an equivalent.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I've used Microsoft Teams, Google classrooms and zoom.

My personal preference for teaching is Teams. Easier for students to use, class groups, etc. Just my preference due to access for all office like PowerPoint, word, etc although Google has an equivalent.

But if the kids are connected to goggle classroom - can they use teams? Excuse my ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bobtheman wrote: »
    But if the kids are connected to goggle classroom - can they use teams? Excuse my ignorance

They can use as many different platforms as they like.
    But usually a school will stick to either ....
    1. Google
    2. Microsoft
    .. With smatterings of zoom

I find zoom the most stable of all video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Treppen wrote: »
    They can use as many different platforms as they like.
    But usually a school will stick to either ....
    1. Google
    2. Microsoft
    .. With smatterings of zoom

I find zoom the most stable of all video.

Is Teams secure?

Is Teams secure?

I suppose if you're a host you can kick people out just like Google meets or zoom.

You'll never get randomers crashing your class... Unless you share the code early and your students pass it on.

For ease of use of go zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bubblemassage

All ETBs have Teams licenses as far as I know, so you might be able to get set up for free on it. Check with your school/area. It's very straight forward. Microsoft have loads of training events and seminars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Go with what your school has decided. Nothing worse than one teacher going on a solo run and raising the bar to unrealistic heights when a standard should be adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Go with what your school has decided. Nothing worse than one teacher going on a solo run and raising the bar to unrealistic heights when a standard should be adopted.

We have been told we must all use the same one. Feedback from parents and students in June was that it was overwhelming switching between platforms.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hello
    I'm familiar with goggle classroom. Is goggle meets the best method for video teaching? How does it work exactly? Our students use goggle classroom.

Thought I replied earlier but got distracted. Yes google meets works with google classroom. Go to settings in any classroom and turn on the google meet option. It will then appear in the classroom header. Students cannot join it until you are in asfaik.

We’re a google school, happy to help if I can

• Advertisement

BTW if anyone has a few old laptops lying around they can be converted to "Chromebooks" very easily with neverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

You are allaware the fact that Union does not look kindly on the use of live video.
    It is a minefield,cameras,GDPR etc,will your school stand by you should anything happen? I DOUBT IT.

ethical wrote: »
    You are allaware the fact that Union does not look kindly on the use of live video.
    It is a minefield,cameras,GDPR etc,will your school stand by you should anything happen? I DOUBT IT.

We were all instructed to keep cameras off during the lockdown last year. Staff and students.

We were all instructed to keep cameras off during the lockdown last year. Staff and students.

Cameras off, presenter mode on so all that’s on screen is the PowerPoint or app I’m presenting

Cameras off, presenter mode on so all that’s on screen is the PowerPoint or app I’m presenting

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I'm in a DEIS school and the thought of video teaching the juniors makes me feel ill!! I have 46 first years. What's the easiest way of recording a lesson and putting it up on Google classroom for the students to watch themselves? I'd be doing the recording on my laptop. I'd have the book open in front of me and the students would have their own textbooks at home so no powerpoint or anything? Thanks in advance.

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I'm in a DEIS school and the thought of video teaching the juniors makes me feel ill!! I have 46 first years. What's the easiest way of recording a lesson and putting it up on Google classroom for the students to watch themselves? I'd be doing the recording on my laptop. I'd have the book open in front of me and the students would have their own textbooks at home so no powerpoint or anything? Thanks in advance.

What do you want in the lesson? Few ways to do it

Get the digital textbook open on your computer, use loom (free upgrade for educators) or screencastify to screen record as you talk over it then share the link on google classroom

Record a video lesson using your phone. Then upload it. If using this though you need to reduce the video quality because it’ll be massive. If you have students with internet issues they’ll struggle

Or take pictures of textbook, insert pics into a PowerPoint and then voice record over them.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I just want to record my voice so the students can play the lesson on google classroom while having their books open in front of them. I'll try what has been suggested above. I was hoping I could record my voice on my phone, Samsung galaxy S9, and post the voice recording to google classroom.

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for the replies. I just want to record my voice so the students can play the lesson on google classroom while having their books open in front of them. I'll try what has been suggested above. I was hoping I could record my voice on my phone, Samsung galaxy S9, and post the voice recording to google classroom.

I would suggest that having something on screen would be better for them than an audio recording so they know they’re on the right page etc.

Install loom
    Open a blank PowerPoint
    Open loom and choose your settings (you can turn on screen only with no headshot of you for example)
    Hit record
    Then stop
    A website will automatically open
    Post that link on google classroom

Google classroom doesn’t always play well with audio files either. Even as a music teacher I avoid them where possible as they are often not compatible with the kids various phones and devices no matter what they do.

• Advertisement

Mirrorwall thanks a million for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Can you add voice recordings to powerpoints that are already made up?

Can you add voice recordings to powerpoints that are already made up?

Yes. Go to insert audio. Means you just record the audio for each slide rather than having to do a big 45min clip.

Yes. Go to insert audio. Means you just record the audio for each slide rather than having to do a big 45min clip.

Oh I totally misread that as the audio files were made up not the PowerPoints. Duh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Town Man

I have been using Screencast O Matic and posting the links created into Teams for the students to view in their own time. I find it very user friendly. I have been using the free version but I think the next upgrade is €20 for the year but haven't needed to yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

is microsoft stream any good?....dont see many mentioning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I see a lot of people recommending Loom. I tired it once in March, recording about 15 minutes at a time. It was taking literally hours* to upload so I re-recorded it in 3 or 4 minute segments, which repeatedly failed to upload. Often the last minute or so would be missing. Every time an upload failed I had to make a fresh recording of the segment, I couldn't find a way to access the one that had failed to upload the first time.

It was a huge waste of time and I never tried it again. Am I the only person who had this experience?

I don't use the word 'literally' lightly.

Edit - Attached is a speed test. Probably at least part of the problem...

I see a lot of people recommending Loom. I tired it once in March, recording about 15 minutes at a time. It was taking literally hours* to upload so I re-recorded it in 3 or 4 minute segments, which repeatedly failed to upload. Often the last minute or so would be missing. Every time an upload failed I had to make a fresh recording of the segment, I couldn't find a way to access the one that had failed to upload the first time.

It was a huge waste of time and I never tried it again. Am I the only person who had this experience?

Wow, what plan are you on for broadband?

Wow that speed test is horrific. I suspect that’s probably a large part of the problem. In your case I’d be using handbrake or other to make it as small as you possibly can before upload

A few other things,

Is that a mobile phone package? If so yikes.

Are you using WiFi?

If your connection is that bad you really need to be wired into the box. We never thought to explain this to staff and students, it will be explained on Monday at in service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Wow that speed test is horrific. I suspect that’s probably a large part of the problem. In your case I’d be using handbrake or other to make it as small as you possibly can before upload

A few other things,

Is that a mobile phone package? If so yikes.

Are you using WiFi?

If your connection is that bad you really need to be wired into the box. We never thought to explain this to staff and students, it will be explained on Monday at in service

This is rural broadband, ethernet cable into the box. This is real, and it's not all that unusual.
    I have no mobile phone reception inside my house, I have to put on a coat and go up the hill behind my house if I want to upload things from my phone. In 21st Century Ireland!

Advertisement