Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video teaching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This is rural broadband, ethernet cable into the box. This is real, and it's not all that unusual.
    I have no mobile phone reception inside my house, I have to put on a coat and go up the hill behind my house if I want to upload things from my phone. In 21st Century Ireland!

God that’s awful! Yeah loom not really an option in this case tbh. There might be another option that has a pause in the screen record but doesn’t try to upload. Do you have the ability to install software on your device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Hi All

I’m interested in screencast is this an app I download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

God that’s awful! Yeah loom not really an option in this case tbh. There might be another option that has a pause in the screen record but doesn’t try to upload. Do you have the ability to install software on your device?

It's my own laptop, nothing is provided by the school here!

It's my own laptop, nothing is provided by the school here!

I know that feeling. Most of my stuff is my own but the MacBook is the schools when the ETB panicked about GDPR.

I haven’t used it but maybe https://obsproject.com/

Might do the job? Really the pause function or look is the bit I love the most because it means almost no post editing or re-recording

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

PowerPoint has desktop screen recording built in. It can record anything on the desktop not just PowerPoint. The recording can be exported as MP4 (video). I use it for IT demo's. Makes smallish files.

Most IT training shows the instructor very little if ever. You really only have live video for meetings or chats. It important to engage with people and it's difficult to do that if you its only instructional.

In IT video training and eLearning has been a thing for a long time. But I can imagine it's a massive leaning curve and very daunting. But not simply the tech. The protocols around it which you have to find a balance between what you are comfortable with. Also what is good practice..

It becomes easier with practise. Practice doing it on your own against a clock.

• Advertisement

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Hi All

I’m interested in screencast is this an app I download ?

There’s a few things with screencast in the name. What are you looking for it to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

There’s a few things with screencast in the name. What are you looking for it to do?

I thought it was similar to loom ? I used loom during the last lockdown ( free version ) but not all parents were able to access it .

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Screencastomatic is the one I was told about and I just bought a year subscription for 20 dollars. Haven't used it yet but will probably trial it tonight or tomorrow morning. Our kids aren't getting their books from school until tomorrow so we're not assigning real work until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

amacca wrote: »
    is microsoft stream any good?....dont see many mentioning it?

I liked stream last year. I was recording solutions using the app and it saved them directly online. Then I added a Stream tab to my Teams pages and students could access them. I will use it again if I do prerecords this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are limited controls for editing video in stream. But you can upload edited videos to it. Obviously if you can create a video without needing edits it's a lot easier. You can create different channels in stream for different audiences.

It's ideal because the storage and bandwidth is handled by Microsoft. As is permission and access if everyone has Microsoft accounts.

We use it a lot.

• Advertisement

I thought it was similar to loom ? I used loom during the last lockdown ( free version ) but not all parents were able to access it .

I’ve started downloading from loom and just reupping the file to my google classroom to avoid those compatibility issues. It renders the video so the files are very small when they come down which is handy

I’ve started downloading from loom and just reupping the file to my google classroom to avoid those compatibility issues. It renders the video so the files are very small when they come down which is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I liked stream last year. I was recording solutions using the app and it saved them directly online. Then I added a Stream tab to my Teams pages and students could access them. I will use it again if I do prerecords this year.

Any advice on how to use stream. Seems like a good idea. I did voice overs on PowerPoint but the files were enormous and not all students could hear the audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do parents/students need to install loom inorder to view stuff created through it?

Do parents/students need to install loom inorder to view stuff created through it?

On iPads they may need the app. On desktops they don’t asfaik

That seems to have been a shift this year as some of mine on iPads couldn’t get access without an account. Thats why I started the download and reupload to classroom to get around it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

solerina wrote: »
    Any advice on how to use stream. Seems like a good idea. I did voice overs on PowerPoint but the files were enormous and not all students could hear the audio.

Set up a tab for videos on each Team and then a channel on the Stream App. I'm reusing ones I made last year even for this year and other staff are using them too.An intro to pythagoras could be suitable for a few classes. I find using the phone to record very handy and the kids liked how me writing and explaining on a whiteboard was like a class experience. I tried using other video software but the files were really large and cumbersome. I don't really see the need for massive amounts of editing either, anymore than I'd edit my class really

Why don't google have the ability to create folders within folders on google classroom? Like have the ability have a master maths folder and then sub folders within. You'd have thought it was a basic functionality. My topics bar looks so crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Has anybody tried goggle meets? Are the majority of you sticking to timetable with video classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Has anybody tried goggle meets? Are the majority of you sticking to timetable with video classes?

Yeah, and to be honest, it's just easier. The quality of teaching and learning is less, especially compared to prerecorded videos, but they're easier to do and parents wanr them, and they keep kids in a routine so. That's it really.

I’m doing daily google meets with my maths classes this week. I’ll then survey at the weekend to see how they feel.

I’m keeping it very straightforward though. I’ve demo videos done up for the chapters anyways which are posted up.

Then the live class is just me demo’ing the concept and the students practising for 2nd year. For 5th year I’m asking them to watch the video beforehand then join the class for practise.

Once I set them going they turn their copies and calculators to the camera whenever they get stuck so it’s essentially live support. 2nd years no homework, 5th years yes homework

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I’m giving them reading and questions to do and doing a live session one class a week with juniors. Not possible for me to go live for every class and in fairness lecturing them for 40 mins with little to no feedback from a class is soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Teach30 wrote: »
    I’m giving them reading and questions to do and doing a live session one class a week with juniors. Not possible for me to go live for every class and in fairness lecturing them for 40 mins with little to no feedback from a class is soul destroying.

Live lessons are not suitable unless the teacher is an expert in that methodology anyway. Prerecorded or well structured ppts are far more effective for students. The only value of a live lesson is to mimic the experience of a school day. They are useful for checking in on students but that is it.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Live lessons are not suitable unless the teacher is an expert in that methodology anyway. Prerecorded or well structured ppts are far more effective for students. The only value of a live lesson is to mimic the experience of a school day. They are useful for checking in on students but that is it.

I recorded a ppt for seniors but upload time was hours so abandoned that. As I generally teach from the book I have no ppts to use so spending time making these but it is time consuming.
    Seniors do prefer the lives as its keeping them focused. Not ideal for anyone who is unable to join the live them though.

Checking on learning is impossible at min tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I recorded a ppt for seniors but upload time was hours so abandoned that. As I generally teach from the book I have no ppts to use so spending time making these but it is time consuming.
    Seniors do prefer the lives as its keeping them focused. Not ideal for anyone who is unable to join the live them though.

Checking on learning is impossible at min tbh.

Have you tried Loom? It's a free software that allows you to screen record and talk through your PowerPoint. I'm using it this time round and finding it brilliant.

As for PPTs, a lot of book companies have PowerPoints available to download when you sign up online. These are easy to modify and adjust.

Have you tried Loom? It's a free software that allows you to screen record and talk through your PowerPoint. I'm using it this time round and finding it brilliant.

As for PPTs, a lot of book companies have PowerPoints available to download when you sign up online. These are easy to modify and adjust.

Second Loom here. It really is a godsend. So easy to use. Also recommend vocaroo for voice notes.

It won’t let me add to chrome as I dont have permission but waiting on school It person to get back to me on it. Hopefully will be sorted by next week.

How long can videos be for it?

It won’t let me add to chrome as I dont have permission but waiting on school It person to get back to me on it. Hopefully will be sorted by next week.

You can apply for a free upgrade as a teacher. No limit then

Were you trying to install the desktop app or the chrome extension?

The desktop app is in my opinion a lot easier to use.

No limit to length of video and you can also upgrade if you have a school email address.

Were you trying to install the desktop app or the chrome extension?

The desktop app is in my opinion a lot easier to use.

No limit to length of video and you can also upgrade if you have a school email address.

So I’ve borrowed my brothers laptop and have installed the chrome extension just to see how it would work. Recorded a video about 12 minutes long and waiting for it to load on the loom page, have been waiting 15 minutes and it’s about half way there.

Would this be the norm?

• Advertisement

So I’ve borrowed my brothers laptop and have installed the chrome extension just to see how it would work. Recorded a video about 12 minutes long and waiting for it to load on the loom page, have been waiting 15 minutes and it’s about half way there.

Would this be the norm?

That’s pretty slow. What’s your internet connection and set up?

Advertisement