Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video teaching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Teach30 wrote: »
    So I’ve borrowed my brothers laptop and have installed the chrome extension just to see how it would work. Recorded a video about 12 minutes long and waiting for it to load on the loom page, have been waiting 15 minutes and it’s about half way there.

Would this be the norm?

Not the norm. I recorded one today that was about 22mins long. Had it saved, changed the settings so that it cannot be downloaded and it is linked and scheduled to go out tomorrow morning on Google classroom. That took less than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

That’s pretty slow. What’s your internet connection and set up?

Ok, I was hoping this would be answer to my problems. I have Eir broadband and upload speed of 0.3mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ok, I was hoping this would be answer to my problems. I have Eir broadband and upload speed of 0.3mbps.

Oh Jesus. Yeah not really. Are you plugged in with a cable? You definitely need to be using Ethernet

Oh Jesus. Yeah not really. Are you plugged in with a cable? You definitely need to be using Ethernet

Yea it’s terrible. I can’t use cable as box is in draughty hall so v cold and too noisy downstairs where it is for working. Pity.

Will persevere with this, it’s moving along slowly.

Yea it’s terrible. I can’t use cable as box is in draughty hall so v cold and too noisy downstairs where it is for working. Pity.

Even a really long lead you only plug in for the upload would be quicker I’d guess. I’m assuming you are in the country

• Advertisement

Even a really long lead you only plug in for the upload would be quicker I’d guess. I’m assuming you are in the country

Rural broadband is chronic. Thanks for help, was worth a try. Will see if anyone has a cable I could borrow over weekend.

Loom is great but unfortunately once again internet issues hamper teaching methods. Government really need to invest in the fibre rollout.

Maybe next time try recording the video and before you hit save, connect to the router using an ethernet cable. Give it about 30secs to switch over and then hit save. Can't do any harm.

Maybe next time try recording the video and before you hit save, connect to the router using an ethernet cable. Give it about 30secs to switch over and then hit save. Can't do any harm.

Thanks, lost the will with it as house phone rang and internet stopped, laptop froze so restarted and recorded video gone.

It’s a sign to keep doing live classes I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thanks, lost the will with it as house phone rang and internet stopped, laptop froze so restarted and recorded video gone.

It’s a sign to keep doing live classes I think!

I'd say it is a sign to change providers. Vodafone use the eir line and provide much better speeds.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I'd say it is a sign to change providers. Vodafone use the eir line and provide much better speeds.

Thanks it’s a house phone setup I’m not bill payer so have no control over it and they won’t change. I’m Vodafone myself and 4g reception terrible in house unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Not the norm. I recorded one today that was about 22mins long. Had it saved, changed the settings so that it cannot be downloaded and it is linked and scheduled to go out tomorrow morning on Google classroom. That took less than a minute.

Does anyone know if you can prevent the recorded classes from being downloaded on Teams, I have recorded all my live classes this week so students who missed them aren’t disadvantages but I see they can be downloaded which I am not comfortable with.

solerina wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can prevent the recorded classes from being downloaded on Teams, I have recorded all my live classes this week so students who missed them aren’t disadvantages but I see they can be downloaded which I am not comfortable with.

We aren’t teams but we are not allowed share recordings with students unless we manually remove students names, faces and voices from the recordings. I use loom as a result to record demo’s only and warn the students when recording goes on and off and pause when they’re talking. Any recording can be downloaded no matter what you use. Even if it’s a case that they screen record the video

Sorry, can't help with teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

As previous poster mentioned it doesnt matter what you do there are ways to screen record or they can take a second device and use the camera on that to record the screen your video is on)

In stream (a video app in ofg8ce 365) you can change permissions to view only so students are not the down as the owner of a video.....where are your videos stored you may be able to change the permissions on them to allow those with access view only access. Doesn't do anything to help with the problems in the paragraph above but might be some help and will prevent any editing of video etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

What have those with kids done? We are pretty much compelty live teaching. My wife is a part time nurse so from next week we have to make a decision. My boy has just turned 4. Do I keep him at home where he will disturd all the lessons, or do I send him to his crèche as we are deemed front line workers. I really don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

How do you change the settings to prevent it being downloaded?

Jane98 wrote: »
    How do you change the settings to prevent it being downloaded?

On loom, click into your video, then video preferences and the option to stop download is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

On loom, click into your video, then video preferences and the option to stop download is in there.

That's very handy, I use screencastify to make videos and I dont think it has that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Did any of you have the experience of being zoom bombed? If so what was your school able to do about it? I know 3 people, all teachers, who had very personal things said to them live in class and principals saying that couldn't really do much about it!! Your thoughts?

keoclassic wrote: »
    Did any of you have the experience of being zoom bombed? If so what was your school able to do about it? I know 3 people, all teachers, who had very personal things said to them live in class and principals saying that couldn't really do much about it!! Your thoughts?

What was said to them?

I removed zoom privileges from kids last year due to small things.

• Advertisement

No bombing here but I have the waiting room on and I use grid so I can see all students and it highlights them if speaking so I’d know immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Have you tried Loom? It's a free software that allows you to screen record and talk through your PowerPoint. I'm using it this time round and finding it brilliant.

As for PPTs, a lot of book companies have PowerPoints available to download when you sign up online. These are easy to modify and adjust.

I used loom last year using my school gmail address to log in and was able to record videos over 5 minutes - this year unless you upgrade and pay money you can only record 5 min videos. I see it’s the same with screen castify. Are you all paying to use these sites to record videos? Just find in this lockdown if you want to upgrade to a teacher account on a lot of websites.

I used loom last year using my school gmail address to log in and was able to record videos over 5 minutes - this year unless you upgrade and pay money you can only record 5 min videos. I see it’s the same with screen castify. Are you all paying to use these sites to record videos? Just find in this lockdown if you want to upgrade to a teacher account on a lot of websites.

Loom have a free upgrade for educators. You just google loom for teachers to find the page

Free upgrade for teachers. Just google loom for education or something similar and it comes up.

What was said to them?

I removed zoom privileges from kids last year due to small things.

Sexual remarks to females and derogatory comments to the males. Very cowardly stuff. They share the links and the students can invite anyone in! No security.

No bombing here but I have the waiting room on and I use grid so I can see all students and it highlights them if speaking so I’d know immediately

But, how do you know its not someone else in the waiting room with a students name for cover?

Sexual remarks to females and derogatory comments to the males. Very cowardly stuff. They share the links and the students can invite anyone in! No security.

What does the principal say think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

But, how do you know its not someone else in the waiting room with a students name for cover?

The school should have a policy and it should be implemented. It is clearly a breach of the code of behaviour. I would advise using a platform that is more secure and GDPR compliant like Teams. Teachers should not be afraid to demand that the code of behaviour is implemented.

We only admit students from their school email. No one else allowed in. I do allow about 30 seconds lee way if it’s clearly a student in the class, I let them in and tell them to log out and switch account. Google meet alerts me if it’s someone outside the schools addresses. I’ve got quick entry turned off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I kind of assumed most schools would be using a more integrated system like Teams? Much harder to just share around a link etc

Advertisement