Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lot of gyms will remain open like the last lockdown, only certain people get the special invites....

This is what fûcking pisses me off to no end. Pretty much all the gyms for the gaa and rugby lads were well used in the last lockdown. Go to a public gym, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The boys who are all hardened up will be let in the back door anyway. They need to get pumped up. Can’t be losing their gains. Won’t want to end up soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What are a few recommendations for shops in South Dublin to pick up some things (in person)? is McSport ok?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

This is what fûcking pisses me off to no end. Pretty much all the gyms for the gaa and rugby lads were well used in the last lockdown. Go to a public gym, you're screwed.

Most small gyms on industrial estates will close their doors , etc but tell you to park anywhere but the car park and come in via the back at certain times

No music allowed etc

Kind of jealous to be honest as my gym is closed but I understand their predicament too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

is_that_so wrote: »

I have a pull up bar, I was up to 80 every 2 days during last lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'll miss the gym dreadfully, more for routine then anything else.

For what it's worth, resistance bands are a very affordable alterative to dumbells, barbells and benches.

You can pick them up on amazon, Mc Sports in ballymount. Another fitness place in finglas (Google it the name escapes me), both offer click and collect services as do Decathlon.

Look up James Grage in YouTube for workout tips, routines and advice, (or try their TA2 programs).

Best thing about the bands is you can take them anywhere... I've used mine in the park, on the beach, in places like the hell fire club, not just the bedroom/kitchen/living room, whatever gets you out of the house during lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Are there any pull up bars around that can attach to walls outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'll miss the gym dreadfully, more for routine then anything else.

For what it's worth, resistance bands are a very affordable alterative to dumbells, barbells and benches.

You can pick them up on amazon, Mc Sports in ballymount. Another fitness place in finglas (Google it the name escapes me), both offer click and collect services as do Decathlon.

Look up James Grage in YouTube for workout tips, routines and advice, (or try their TA2 programs).

Best thing about the bands is you can take them anywhere... I've used mine in the park, on the beach, in places like the hell fire club, not just the bedroom/kitchen/living room, whatever gets you out of the house during lockdown.

Agree with all of this! Bands are great, portable, inexpensive and versatile - take them to a park and use them round a railing or a tree or lamppost even for added versatility. Sure it's not a full gym suite, and I am lucky to have some dumbbells too, but if I had to choose one thing I'd go for a decent band or two first off. Anything is better than nothing - especially if it's teh psychological aspect.

Got a present of a pull up, chin up, dip, leg raise stand thing..... Brought it to holiday home land..... Might bring it back to home home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Pull up bar question.

Is it safe to put in any door frame and also how easy are they to attach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

2nd last workout or 2020 done. That's about 30 for the whole year. Absolute disaster. Keep the take aways open though, god forbid anyone do anything to actually HELP fight the virus.

Now we must eat. No harm in an auld takeaway. Repair those torn muscles with some fish and chips. Let the pizza soak into your ripped muscles. And return with a well healed and fueled body in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Neeson wrote: »
    Now we must eat. No harm in an auld takeaway. Repair those torn muscles with some fish and chips. Let the pizza soak into your ripped muscles. And return with a well healed and fueled body in March.

Ma...MARCH??! I thought we were talking 31st January here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    What are a few recommendations for shops in South Dublin to pick up some things (in person)? is McSport ok?

They won't be open...non-essential retail.

What are you looking to get?

Ma...MARCH??! I thought we were talking 31st January here?!

Better to think it’ll be March than to be disappointed. Might add a couple of weeks onto January to bring us up to valentine’s day and then another month for St Patrick’s day.

We may not have a night of passion with those bars until the feast of St Valentine.

They won't be open...non-essential retail.

What are you looking to get?

will they be open today? mostly just dumbells but was thinking of getting an Olympic bar and some weights and just use it landmine style. it would keep everything ticking over

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They can open for click and collect according to RTÉ

- Retail outlets that operate online can open to provide goods for collection.

https://www.mcsport.ie/?cmp_id=64516205&adg_id=2374076645&kwd=mcsport&device=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh8mhuuj27QIVCbbtCh2wBAfHEAAYASAAEgI4HPD_BwE

for today is that a normal drop in shop, their website is oddly unspecific

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

will they be open today? mostly just dumbells but was thinking of getting an Olympic bar and some weights and just use it landmine style. it would keep everything ticking over

They should be - I didn't know they did click and collect but they would still be allowed to be open anyway.

Their dumbbells are on the pricey side so I'd look at alternatives but should be no issue picking up anything today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Neeson wrote: »

They are popular, dodgy food value aside!

https://www.joe.ie/fitness-health/average-number-takeaway-meals-irish-people-eat-week-revealed-540107

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

How would they be allowed to open today for walk in ?
    It’s surely only click and collect as they are non essential retail but maybe I’m wrong

Non essential retail to close from COB today and only click and collect allowed thereafter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Went to 2 local aldi in Dublin this morning. Was outside the bigger one waiting for it to open, they had lots of fitness stuff but no 5kg dumbells.... Went to the other aldi and they had none either....

well I got mostly what I wanted, ended up buying a hex bar plus weights and some smaller Items, will be able to use the hexbar for landmine rows and other landmine movements so might even make some progress this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Just wondering, when gyms were open for the last few
    months, were ye asked to wear masks?

We didn’t have to in ours, which I found strange....you have to wear one in a shop or even a large DIY store but not in the gym.

I wore one anyways in the gym, but 95% of people didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Went to 2 local aldi in Dublin this morning. Was outside the bigger one waiting for it to open, they had lots of fitness stuff but no 5kg dumbells.... Went to the other aldi and they had none either....

Same here, went to 3. Only had some of the fitness stuff......had no bands, push up bars or the door pull-up device in any.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Message from gymplus today stated they will charge while closed
    "We'll be placing all members on a ''lockdown freeze'' rate of 10 euro per month. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Karlos77 wrote: »
    "We'll be placing all members on a ''lockdown freeze'' rate of 10 euro per month. "

Gymplus seem to be the outlier here; A lot of places seem to be freezing membership every time. Credit where it is due on the membership side of things - most gyms have been very accommodating freezing and refunding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

well I got mostly what I wanted, ended up buying a hex bar plus weights and some smaller Items, will be able to use the hexbar for landmine rows and other landmine movements so might even make some progress this month.

Where did you find the plates? Have been looking for Olympic plates for months now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

seefin wrote: »
    Where did you find the plates? Have been looking for Olympic plates for months now

There’s loads of Olympic plates on done deal. One guy in Fermanagh and one in Carlow make plates so you can have as many as you want. They’re a lot cheaper than you’ll buy anywhere else too

seefin wrote: »

McSport only had steel plates, as they were the first plates Ive bought wasnt too fussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Karlos77 wrote: »

Poor form imo

Advertisement