Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

razorblunt wrote: »
    Stop bringing cake, bring Rich Tea.
    Tesco own brand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Stinge test - Do you know how much in change you have in your pocket?

I have a friend who knows down to the cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

arctictree wrote: »

Really stingy people know but will never let it be known they have any change. I was employed with a guy who used to keep his change in different pockets. Whenever anyone asked him for money he owed, he would say "oh Jesus, I don't think I have much on me" then put his hand into a pocket and pull out a sum less than he owed and say "That is the height of it" and show an empty pocket. People took whatever it was and went off. Later the same day he would do the same to someone else using change from another pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I use plastic so have no change..... The beggars are missing out on a trick there, suppose they will have card readers so you have no excuse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

3 euros... and I know the exact denominations: a 2 euro coin and a 1 euro coin.
    Mainly reserved for shopping trollies!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    3 euros... and I know the exact denominations: a 2 euro coin and a 1 euro coin.
    Mainly reserved for shopping trollies!

I have two coin holders in my pocket- one for trolley tokens and one for actual coins. I have no idea how many trolley tokens I have (I have lots though- from a variety of different countries), and I couldn't tell you how much change I have- but I'd probably have at least EUR20- maybe 30. I use the change mostly for paying for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I use plastic so have no change..... The beggars are missing out on a trick there, suppose they will have card readers so you have no excuse.....

As if you would trust a beggar with your debit/credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pgj2015 wrote: »
    As if you would trust a beggar with your debit/credit card.

Exactly

I just say that I don't give money to beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The best one is im running late for a train/bus etc, works great on chuggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Bring flour, margarine and milk...just enough to make four biscuits.
    ( or whatever you actually require to make a Biscuit��)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not quite. Somebody bought shoes at full price then noticed that the shoes were on sale a few weeks later. Both them again on sale and returned the ones bought on sale that same day using the receipt from the full price pair, pretending they were the pair that were bought at full price. Boasted about it here.

My wife done similar, although dont think she wore the first pair before returning.
    During lockdown, all the online retailers were/are offering free delivery and returns up to a month or more i think. She bought a heap of stuff from zara or mango or somewhere, across multiple orders. A few days after loads arrived, said store had a sale with 20-50% off what she had bo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not quite. Somebody bought shoes at full price then noticed that the shoes were on sale a few weeks later. Both them again on sale and returned the ones bought on sale that same day using the receipt from the full price pair, pretending they were the pair that were bought at full price. Boasted about it here.

My wife done similar, although dont think she wore the first pair before returning.
    During lockdown, all the online retailers were/are offering free delivery and returns up to a month or more i think. She bought a heap of stuff from zara or mango or somewhere, across multiple orders. A few days after loads arrived, said store had a sale with 20-50% off what she had bought. She went back to the store with about 15 items and 6-7 receipts to return what she didnt want and try and get the siacount. To get the new price, she asked if she could return everything, but to consolidate everything she was keeping onto one receipt, she wanted to rescan the stuff she wanted to keep. Spent about 15mims with a very confused sales assistant but eventually got it done and came out the door beaming after saving about 50-60euro.
    I was mortified, thank fxuk i wasnt in the store with her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭KevRossi

retalivity wrote: »
    During lockdown, all the online retailers were/are offering free delivery and returns up to a month or more i think. She bought a heap of stuff from zara or mango or somewhere, across multiple orders. A few days after loads arrived, said store had a sale with 20-50% off what she had bought. She went back to the store with about 15 items and 6-7 receipts to return what she didnt want and try and get thTo get the new price, she asked if she could return everything, but to consolidate everything she was keeping onto one receipt,

From the very little that I worked in retail she sounds like a headwreck client. :D

No offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

KevRossi wrote: »
    From the very little that I worked in retail she sounds like a headwreck client. :D

No offence intended.

I'm very confused reading it so my head would be wrecked too :D

To thine own self be true

About 30 years ago I wasn't long out of school and doing an apprenticeship. So for a while I was in one of the bigger FAS training centres. There was two 'oul lads there, and I don't mean trainees or students now, I mean they were full time employees of FAS, who absolutely did not like each other one bit. They didn't care who knew it, and they weren't one bit shy about expressing it in front of anyone. For the record these guys were janitorial workers who did a few other light maintenance jobs around the place, just to keep this in context as it's important. But I have no idea of the backstory between them or why they were so hostile.

Anyway, one day one guy roars across the yard at the other, full throat and no bother that half the place was watching, "someone dropped 0.20 pence in the jacks, go way and fish it out for your dinner you stingy c**t" and walks away roaring with laughter.

I don't want to pretend we were smart or clever, but you know, when the average age of the apprentices was 19 and these fellas were pushing 60 it's the sort of thing we found funny. So one of the lads drained the water out of the toilet bowl, super glued an old £0.20 pence piece to it, and refilled it with water.

No word of a lie, your man came along with a hammer and chisel and nearly made bits out of the jacks getting it out. We nearly had heart attacks laughing but he just tried to say "ah lads, it's my job here to make sure things are working right". Fair enough, but he still stuck the 20 pence piece in his pocket. You might say well what else should he do with it, which to be honest I'd have wrapped it in tissue paper and thrown it in the bin.

Last time we called, we arrived one arm as long as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Jeez that's pretty bad alright.
    Just goes to show that those presenters absolutely live on freebies too.

They sound like influencers, probably the stingiest people around and expect everything for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Tesco own brand. ;)

Poor Tea?

Poor Tea?
    Cheaper but just as nice as the old McVs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I was smoking out my window the other night (setting the scene) when I notice a car pulling into our estate.

Our communal bins aren't in a shed, just in the middle of the housing estate for residents. An older woman, maybe 60s, pulled up in her 2018 car and dumped her bins into our unlocked communal bins.

I tried to grab a picture but my phone is fairly banjaxxed so didn't succeed. I only rent here and don't really care but objectively, how stingy is that?! You have enough wealth to live in Dublin and drive a 2018 car yet you drive to random housing estates to dump your rubbish?

Fair enough if it was someone really, really struggling but clearly this lady wasn't.

danslevent wrote: »
    I was smoking out my window the other night (setting the scene) when I notice a car pulling into our estate.

Our communal bins aren't in a shed, just in the middle of the housing estate for residents. An older woman, maybe 60s, pulled up in her 2018 car and dumped her bins into our unlocked communal bins.

I tried to grab a picture but my phone is fairly banjaxxed so didn't succeed. I only rent here and don't really care but objectively, how stingy is that?! You have enough wealth to live in Dublin and drive a 2018 car yet you drive to random housing estates to dump your rubbish?

Fair enough if it was someone really, really struggling but clearly this lady wasn't.

If you can rent in a place like that, surely you can afford a decent phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Oh so it's his fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

"A place like that"?! Is having communal, unlocked bins fancy now? :P

I try to spend as little time on my phone as possible so don't feel the need for an expensive one. I hope that has satisfied you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

Hi, I've been reading this thread for weeks now and so many laughs have been had that I feel I owe some back :)

First, self stinge? I use newspapers as wrapping paper. No way am I buying something to be torn open and thrown in the bin. The outward facing headline is usually apt or a laugh, so I have to start looking a few weeks out from Christmas.

Next a wedding... Couple of years back, (English) wife's friend was getting married in Scotland. The venue was lovely, a small place in the middle of nowhere. It was a 2 hour drive, a long day and drinks were had. Was looking forward to dinner. Then out came a selection of sandwiches and biscuits for each table. To give context, not even a full sandwich per person if you to add it up. I thought that was a starter or something but no, that was it. Small place so you couldn't just rock into another area and order food, that was it. We said nothing and carried on through the speeches etc. After a few dances, I was starving and my pregnant wife needed fuel too, so we quietly set off in search of something. Nearest chipper and Tesco was a half hour drive. In the queue at the chipper were plenty of other guests and... the groom himself! He was laughing that his missus was already bossing him about by having him pick up their grub!

At my wedding, a stingey uncle of mine gave us a present of a scratch card! I know you shouldn't expect gifts but c'mon, how could you do that without any shame. When I saw him after he made a big deal of asking if I won anything, probably looking for a share!

An aunt of mine would hang around the tills in Dunne's in Terryland in Galway during RAG week, get chatting to students buying loads of booze and then ask if she could use her clubcard to get their points!

danslevent wrote: »
    "A place like that"?! Is having communal, unlocked bins fancy now? :P

I try to spend as little time on my phone as possible so don't feel the need for an expensive one. I hope that has satisfied you :D

There is a difference beteen an expensive phone and one that does the basics. I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

galway_lad wrote: »
    Hi, I've been reading this thread for weeks now and so many laughs have been had that I feel I owe some back :)

First, self stinge? I use newspapers as wrapping paper. No way am I buying something to be torn open and thrown in the bin. The outward facing headline is usually apt or a laugh, so I have to start looking a few weeks out from Christmas.

Next a wedding... Couple of years back, (English) wife's friend was getting married in Scotland. The venue was lovely, a small place in the middle of nowhere. It was a 2 hour drive, a long day and drinks were had. Was looking forward to dinner. Then out came a selection of sandwiches and biscuits for each table. To give context, not even a full sandwich per person if you to add it up. I thought that was a starter or something but no, that was it. Small place so you couldn't just rock into another area and order food, that was it. We said nothing and carried on through the speeches etc. After a few dances, I was starving and my pregnant wife needed fuel too, so we quietly set off in search of something. Nearest chipper and Tesco was a half hour drive. In the queue at the chipper were plenty of other guests and... the groom himself! He was laughing that his missus was already bossing him about by having him pick up their grub!

At my wedding, a stingey uncle of mine gave us a present of a scratch card! I know you shouldn't expect gifts but c'mon, how could you do that without any shame. When I saw him after he made a big deal of asking if I won anything, probably looking for a share!

An aunt of mine would hang around the tills in Dunne's in Terryland in Galway during RAG week, get chatting to students buying loads of booze and then ask if she could use her clubcard to get their points!

SHOCKING! :eek:

I'd have been fuming - I get hangry easily, so no dinner at a wedding would have me seeing red - and I don't think I could be friends with those people after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

There is a difference beteen an expensive phone and one that does the basics. I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Well, it’s not. I think you need to look up the pot/kettle thing.

Somebody illegally dumping rubbish and someone not having the latest
    IPhone is not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

SHOCKING! :eek:

I'd have been fuming - I get hangry easily, so no dinner at a wedding would have me seeing red - and I don't think I could be friends with those people after.

My wife's friends, not mine ;) In fairness they seem perfectly nice the few times I've met them.

There's another wedding from that same pool of friends pencilled in for next Summer. I joke to herself that I'll be packing the lunch boxes for the trip this time :)

• Advertisement

galway_lad wrote: »

Your Aunt is a frickin genius. Finally an upside to teen alcohol abuse :D

Advertisement