Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x11 - "Su'Kal" ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

10 minutes of emotional farewells for an away mission.

What is this show.

Edit::

The rest of it was decent enough.

Good planet stuff.
    Doug Jones is a gift, although I wasn't really buying Saru's lack of professionalism here. Poor writing.
    The villains in these Star Treks have a tendency to pantomime and I don't like it. Also I just couldn't be bothered with "the chain".
    Tilly should have stayed on the lower decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Goodshape wrote: »

What is this show.

yep - and the story is ludicrous - Im not even gonna go into it

This season is dreadful - Literally the worst season of trek since ENT s2

Few if any redeeming qualities

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

What is this show.

It was ludicrous. But you knew it was going to be an important emotional plot point later in the show because there was extra whispering.

Turns out leaving an Ensign in charge can lead to bad times. Who knew.

I have to say, the season started off okay, with some interesting premises, but as it has progressed it has just been disappointing. I think that Discovery is, at least to me, the weakest of the trek series by a country mile. Even my partner (who isn't into Trek and will generally go along with a show) is finding it an utterly stupid season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I love to hate this show, it's so desperate to be cutting edge, woke and and full of emotional connections it sacrifices story telling, character development and Lore.

Burn Baby? Is this the best they could come up with?

Session 4 will be Cptn Burnham.

Ensgin Captain Tilly dialogue was awful and forced with Orion bird.

And the most sinful of all, Teleporting threw shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Also, a quick one that just popped into my head, what's with the tentacles in Star Trek this year?Finale of Picard, finale of Lower Decks, and now this episode?

Though I'll give Lower Decks a pass since it was supposed to be the last Trek show out this year so they may have been ripping the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Whew! What a cliffhanger! For sure I thought the episode was going to be about the monster being the actual kid or something. I didn't think they'd let the chain get discovery. Wrecking Starfleet makes the sound of a time jump & fix seem more likely to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Why the hell didn't they just jump away further and then jump back to the nebula at the predetermined time.

How can they transport through Shields? In which case why not just transport a bomb rather than firing Torpedoes

The Kelpian kid caused the burn, what a let down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did you hear the one about a Bajoran, a Trill and a human walk into a holosuite?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

What a huge letdown. But that was to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Another bag of vomit, awful writing. Burnham gaslighted Saru into killing him self and there was a major editing balls up with Tilly s hair. If your ones ship can jump just like that why couldn’t the rest of starfleet be upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I actually enjoyed it, and I've mostly been critical here. There was actual tension and non-Burnhams got to do stuff. Tilly's repartee with the green goblin was entertaining, but would have worked better if Tilly had shown thus before and not become a new character.

I, too, wondered why they didn't spore drive far far away and them spore back when shields were fixed.

As for the cause of the Burn, er, wha? They're going to have to explain that one a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Didn't expect to like this one as much as I did, I actually really liked the concept of a desperate mother, knowing she was going to die, constructing holo programs to take care and educate her son when she's gone . Its pure star trek , as is the immature super powered teen trope(see TOS Charlie X) . As an explanation of the burn, it just about works for me. All the dilithium in the federation/quadrant/galaxy exploding was such a bonkers concept to begin with, it was never gonna be able to be satisfactorily explained through scientific means. Pulling the trigger on the chekovs gun of an omnipotent being whether its Charlie X, Q or in this case and immature super telekinetic Kelpian finally doing something with galactic implications actually worked for me. What didn't, was Michael's complete lack of self awareness in chastising Saru over a lack of objectivity after the **** shes pulled .

Whilst I agree it wasn’t as bad as the last two but that’s no praise at all. The have stooped to a new low with the Burnham story though. having her gaslight Saru to keep her in the story is really pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Right so,

I thought the Holo thing was straight out of Hell from Hellraiser. Looked cool though.

Why are those Guards wearing helmets? Starfleet Operatives?

Bet ya they wont jump to the right location. Something to do with two ships joined together or be part of some trap.

Got to be more to the Burn than simply one dude having a meltdown. Could be a Charlie Evans or Gary Mitchell thing going on.

Poor Tilly, just hour on the job and lost control of the ship.

So, it's going to be Michael saving the world again aint it?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

They also stole the set of the David Bowie film labyrinth and the aliens from the Tom cruise film live die repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,723 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Happy Christmas folks!

As for the episode... I'm gonna watch out the end of the season, but alas I'm finished with Discovery beyond that. Every time they have a decent conceptual idea, they seem to think of how to execute it in the most overwrought teen-drama way possible.

It's firmly transitioned into YA Star Trek Fanfic.

Yeah. I'm done. I got through to where Burnham says you deserve the chair to Tilly and I thought it must have been on half an hour it was dragging so much, but was less than 10 minutes. A sure sign enough was enough.

I have even read through the other posts, as spoilers can't ruin this it its so bad. I'll eventually finish this episode, probably in 10 minute bites which I hope is achievable. It's soap opera quality, bad soap opera quality. As much as I've seen of the episode so far I really dislike how Burnham is undermining Saru. She's a horrible, unlikeable character.

Did anyone get a message from Netflix asking if they were enjoying Discovery? I didnt answer but if it comes up again it's getting a 'No'. I want this cancelled.

Oh, happy Christmas Trekkies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Yeah. I'm done. I got through to where Burnham says you deserve the chair to Tilly and I thought it must have been on half an hour it was dragging so much, but was less than 10 minutes. A sure sign enough was enough.

I have even read through the other posts, as spoilers can't ruin this it its so bad. I'll eventually finish this episode, probably in 10 minute bites which I hope is achievable. It's soap opera quality, bad soap opera quality. As much as I've seen of the episode so far I really dislike how Burnham is undermining Saru. She's a horrible, unlikeable character.

Did anyone get a message from Netflix asking if they were enjoying Discovery? I didnt answer but if it comes up again it's getting a 'No'. I want this cancelled.

Oh, happy Christmas Trekkies. :)

It is just so hard to watch this season -

FOR COMPARISON
    Season 1 - Lorca Carrying it in the early episodes - Novelty of Trek FINALLY being back played its part. Getting to know the universe of this show, coupled with the spore drive. Some complaints but i enjoyed it. Loved the Mirror Arc - Ending was very weak but overall a good season, which i rewatched quite a bit during the run and at least once since then

Season 2 - Pike was fantastic. Story seemed weak but i was interested. Some really good Segways into Section 31, and Georgiou. Some real high points with the Cage Sequel being the most notable. Weaker ending again but not bad - Season 2 had higher peaks than Season 1, for me anyway. I didnt rate it as good as S1 but it was enjoyable mostly

Season 3 - Shockingly bad writing. A contrived story that i have had a serious problem connecting with. Episodes are dragging so much, that i do find myself barely paying attention at some points. High point was finding starfleet, and David Cronenbergs character, with me hoping that it would be the focul point for the burn. Utter let down, with pointless Segway into the mirror universe. The Overall Burn Arc doesnt interest me at all. And i find the contrived nature of the predicament (Orions are dangerous, few ships, WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYONE ELSE, ) to be painful. The writing is abysmal

Understanding that the central complaints of the show are present in all three seasons (the universe revolves around Michael Burnham, Tilly is annoying, etc), i am at a crossroads with this show. I dont want to see it cancelled, yet. I actually get rather sad thinking of the long gap between this and Enterprise. But im becoming indifferent. This season has been so poor, IMHO. I wouldnt be surprised if having renewed for season 4, they renew for a fifth FINAL season. And i would struggle to be disappointed as such. My only fear is that it takes the franchise with it. I want more picard, bring on Strange New worlds, give us some more Post-TNG Era trek. If we get these, im happy to see discovery end

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't understand the point of changing the appearances. Said they changed their appearances so as to not scare the child, even though they are all from races that were known. And changing Saru to human and the humans to something else.
    And if I remember correctly, didn't the crew usually dress for the holodeck before entering. Seems in the future they make it seem like they've rewritten the dna and removed any physical items they might have, which are then restored to normal upon leaving. Yet Radiation poisoning symptoms still show up.

As critical as I was of Tilly, I don't think she did much different than another captain might've done. Apart from the smile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think that was the best episode of the series so far and rather good, and I find myself in shock saying that. Or maybe the least worst episode ever. No, I did actually enjoy that episode maybe just because it kept my attention all the way though which would be a first for S3.

I thought both Tilly's scene during the stand off and Burnham's interaction with the Kelpien was rather good. Or maybe I have just lowered my standards. I think that's the first time they've gone on an away mission that it has grabbed my attention in the way Star Trek of old used to. Apart from the early scene with Tilly and Burnham it's the first time Burnham wasn't really annoying.

This series is so frustrating. The odd time I like it but most of the time I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Watched that episode back to back with the latest episode of The Expanse. Trek didn't come out of that competition well despite the effects budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

kowloon wrote: »
    Watched that episode back to back with the latest episode of The Expanse. Trek didn't come out of that competition well despite the effects budget.

Pretty much same. I caught up on the four new episodes of The Expanse over the past couple of days.

The difference in quality is sad, quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Pretty much same. I caught up on the four new episodes of The Expanse over the past couple of days.

The difference in quality is sad, quite frankly.

Yeah, but you need to remember that the Expanse, while brilliant, is coming from some very successful series of books. The story is already set in stone, clear objectives, character arcs, etc. Its great Sci fi and glorious. The Discovery Team kinda making up a whole new saga in some backroom slurping on overpriced coffee.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

WTF was that?? Inception In Space. this show has gone to s**te rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

A kelpian with the phoenix power. Robot Professor X. will have to mind meld with it.

WTF was that?? Inception In Space. this show has gone to s**te rapidly

Inception had a coherent plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It was a bad episode of Jerry springer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember we got a new speaking member of the bridge crew. May find out her name in the next couple seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

It was a bad episode of Jerry springer.

Reminded me of wearing a christmas jumper

Advertisement