Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from Tarkov

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Played 2 games of it,havent had much time over the weekend.

Killed 3 people(?)in the first game,ive no idea if they were AI or people and couldn't find extraction.

I tried skirting the edge of the map for the extractions.

Killed 2 people(?) In the second game,couldn't find extraction.

Anyone i killed didn't have really good gear,least from what I could tell.

This reminds me a lot of old DayZ the mod,theres a tension about being able to lose all your gear in an instant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

key to win fights is map knowledge. advise to play map offline and use online guides and maps to navigate your way through.

For maps I prefer map genie but game maps i do reference as well epecially for cache location pic's. Use for what works for you.

Also when choosing a loadout, concentrate on using good ammo and even sacrifice wearing armour. Level 3 armour or less is generally good enough to protect you from scavs. Against other players who are using higher tiered ammo makes that armour redundant. Running crap armour and crap ammo is next to pointless unless completly flat broke in which case you should be doing hatchet runs (zero to hero) :)

for custom's guide I Like how pestily walks through the map (along with every other map), there are other streamers who also have very good guides. Such guides really useful in order to get a grip of Labs and Reserve.

another here for customs shows loot and pathing. You do get decent loot from cache's solo and it is a way to avoid the hotspots. Over time you will get to know what is trash and what to keep to have the highest rouble for square in your inventory.

to get the game working and looking the best for your system check out the video from veritas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

EoinHef wrote: »
    Played 2 games of it,havent had much time over the weekend.

Killed 3 people(?)in the first game,ive no idea if they were AI or people and couldn't find extraction.

I tried skirting the edge of the map for the extractions.

Killed 2 people(?) In the second game, couldn't find extraction.

Anyone i killed didn't have really good gear,least from what I could tell.

This reminds me a lot of old DayZ the mod,theres a tension about being able to lose all your gear in an instant

Ok so if you double punch on "O" You'll get your list of extractions.
    I've added maps of every map in the game along with extractions (some you will need keys for or can't extract with certain equipment (Armour/back pack)) If you have a second monitor have the maps open so you can find them and your location.

Customs

Woods

Interchange

Shoreline

Reserve

Factory

LAB'S

Take a walk through all the maps in of line mode its a great way to get you head around the maps too.

I didnt know this game had an offline mode,how does that work?

Just AI on the map?

That could be very handy to learn the maps. Thanks for the info guys

EoinHef wrote: »
    I didnt know this game had an offline mode,how does that work?

Just AI on the map?

That could be very handy to learn the maps. Thanks for the info guys

when starting your raid on your main PMC char....
    choose map, pick time then on the next screen you have the choice to enable offline mode.

as per the warning in big red background, nothing is saved - you get nadda when finished.
    When enabled for offline you choose how you want the map - with or without AI.

Also note offline is solo only at present. not sure when co op will be introduced.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    when starting your raid on your main PMC char....
    choose map, pick time then on the next screen you have the choice to enable offline mode.

as per the warning in big red background, nothing is saved - you get nadda when finished.
    When enabled for offline you choose how you want the map - with or without AI.

Also note offline is solo only at present. not sure when co op will be introduced.

That sounds great for getting to know the maps then alright,ill give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Any of you guys wanna team up? Our group is always looking for new players to play with and help with quests etc.

I actually built a site a little while ago to help track your hideout progress. Feel free to check it out.

https://www.tarkov-hideout.com/

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    Any of you guys wanna team up? Our group is always looking for new players to play with and help with quests etc.

I actually built a site a little while ago to help track your hideout progress. Feel free to check it out.

https://www.tarkov-hideout.com/

Do ye have a discord? Tend to float on the official tarkov discord for when I want to grp, but would prefer to get a few regulars.

aparently they are planning to wipe tommorow, which unusual as they generally give forwarning of when wipe is coming along with pre wipe event.

so for those the got the game recently now is the good time as everyone will be running crap gear, everyone on the same level playing field as it were. at least for the first week or so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been enjoying theHunter call of the wild lately, really enjoy its slow stealthy gameplay with believable gunplay and it got me thinking of EFT again, havent played in a year or so id say as i really got turned off by the inventory management, all seemed pointless and took me away from the real meat of the game.
    I doubt anything has changed in this department lately?

• Advertisement

there were some QOL improvements over the year with the most recent one of being able to sort items, very useful for containers but not for main stash. There are others as well.

However if you are a hoarder, your going to have the same complaints. if you sell as you go it keeps it manageable. Just note the main core of the game has changed alot since you last played, heavy bleeds, different ammo types will give more light bleeds or heavy bleeds, setups going to be different now with changes to the mods for weapons etc etc. Its all going into the right direction. Custom map had changes now woods, factory changes will come in spring along with streets of tarkov probably end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive been enjoying theHunter call of the wild lately, really enjoy its slow stealthy gameplay with believable gunplay and it got me thinking of EFT again, havent played in a year or so id say as i really got turned off by the inventory management, all seemed pointless and took me away from the real meat of the game.
    I doubt anything has changed in this department lately?

A good way around that is to just sell most of the stuff you get, use your bank balance as your stash instead, buy when you need, otherwise you just end up with so much stuff you probably will never get around to using..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So im going to try get into this again, going to start off against ai in the training mode to learn atleast 1 map well, any suggestions?

Is it still Customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Dcully wrote: »
    So im going to try get into this again, going to start off against ai in the training mode to learn atleast 1 map well, any suggestions?

Is it still Customs?

I would say Interchange to be honest - Customs was everyones go to because early quests force you there and the loot is meh once marked is looted, few safes yeah but nothing major. Interchange offers a bit more in the way of loot and still plenty of PVP available - although extract camping is a bit of an issue at times, you learn where to look though and there's a good few alternatives.

I never mained Interchange at any stage and don't play the game much anymore but if I was to go back I would focus on it. Toward the end I played Factory only for pure PVP and it was the most I enjoyed the game. Just depends on what you want from the game!

Really recommend viewing pestily map guides, having two monitors and walk around as he explains it, you will pick up loads of info and once viewed all maps you can decide what you prefer.

Reserve is the map for loot and insta pvp.
    Shoreline and interchange are great for loot and can avoid people if needed. Interchange is useful for getting gear to get your hideout upgraded.
    Customs is the general map cause of quests, but with the expansion there is decent loot to be had. That guide will show you.
    Woods, with new expansion there is also loot to be had but honest I only go to complete quests. New map is great but woods is still woods as call outs are terrible
    Factory again only go as pmc to do quests, but I run scavs nearly all the time when up. Good pvp but loot is terrible.

Also there is labs, mainly for when you have the keycards and to go against high geared players. I tend to join with f7 pistol and raid scavs to come out with at least a mil in gear providing I don't die in the first minute. Labs require keycard to access the map ever time.

I'm on late evening if you want to team up. Also there is tarkov discord where you can run 5 man factory which means you can only go against scavs and player scavs

• Finding people to play with is key for learning this game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Not sure if people are aware but theres twitch drops happening this week regarding Tarkov. Klean is currently doing 24hours at the moment, so get your accounts linked to get free loot.

mamaz wrote: »
    I would say Interchange to be honest - Customs was everyones go to because early quests force you there and the loot is meh once marked is looted, few safes yeah but nothing major. Interchange offers a bit more in the way of loot and still plenty of PVP available - although extract camping is a bit of an issue at times, you learn where to look though and there's a good few alternatives.

I never mained Interchange at any stage and don't play the game much anymore but if I was to go back I would focus on it. Toward the end I played Factory only for pure PVP and it was the most I enjoyed the game. Just depends on what you want from the game!

Ehhhh loot in customs is pretty great now with the expansion and especially since the last update, it has loads of stashes and you can get some pretty great stuff in them now, like level 5 armours/rigs and bitcoins for example..

Interchange is a camperfest nightmare, id only go there if i have to or if im in the mood for snail crawling around the dark for 30mins.. Not saying its a bad map, you can have some great games in there, but you can also get one tapped from some lad who has hiding in a random shop for 20+ without making a peep with a mosin..

So yeah, id recommend customs, tasks bring you there at the start and you would want to hit level 10 sooner than later so you can sell **** on the flea market. Its also a pretty fun map when you learn it..

Dont worry about losing gear, get used to dying, if you run out of ****, jump on a scav and scrounge some things on him and get out and use his loadout..

im only after jumping back in the last few days, im like lvl 14 and im just chipping away at tasks to get some levels. I had a load of great armour i accumulated in my stash but just decided to sell it to the vendors instead to increase rep with them.. Thats my main focus, level my pmc and the vendors, dont worry about modding guns until later in the game, think of everything as disposable until lvl 20 at least..
    Finding people to play with is key for learning this game

Id say you would learn more playing solo at first, as you then have to look **** up and learn everything yourself, going with others you wont learn as much as you're just following their lead usually..

Oh and i recommend this new video from Pestily for anybody new or just jumping back into the game, quick fire tips which will improve your tarkov quality of life.

• nix wrote: »
    Id say you would learn more playing solo at first, as you then have to look **** up and learn everything yourself, going with others you wont learn as much as you're just following their lead usually..

I think the learning is so tough that a lot of player will give up before they get over the initial hump. I know I did the first time I tried it.

• Advertisement

I think the learning is so tough that a lot of player will give up before they get over the initial hump. I know I did the first time I tried it.

Yeah i hear ya, id say playing with others is defo required to get into it, but playing solo while chatting over discord if any questions or whatever is the way to go.. Thats what i done, starting off mostly anyway.., mute the channel when you find yourself in a pvp situation..

As any group games i played in the beginning usually ended in at least one person getting team killed, and any new people you bring along tend to retain nothing as they just follow you around or vice versa..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I know theres not many posts in here, but I'm considering picking this up. I suppose my main question would be, is just how much of a grind is the game? I dont get a huge amount of time to sit down and concentrate on a game, and while I'm not expecting it to be simple, just how difficult is it to play?

For reference, I play a fair bit of R6 Siege, and Also Enjoy the likes of PUBG, Warzone, and also the Division - Im thinking this is like a more unforgiving 'Dark Zone' from that game - where you enter an area, kill AI, but can also be ganked by other players?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know theres not many posts in here, but I'm considering picking this up. I suppose my main question would be, is just how much of a grind is the game? I dont get a huge amount of time to sit down and concentrate on a game, and while I'm not expecting it to be simple, just how difficult is it to play?

For reference, I play a fair bit of R6 Siege, and Also Enjoy the likes of PUBG, Warzone, and also the Division - Im thinking this is like a more unforgiving 'Dark Zone' from that game - where you enter an area, kill AI, but can also be ganked by other players?

I haven't played in a while, but for me personally, the worst part of the game and grindiest were Quests. A lot of them want you to do very spesific things or find stuff in raids. A lot of it can be pure luck or just very painful, specially for new players. The problem is, that you really need to do a good few quests to unlock stuff from vendors.

Other then that, you make Tarkov as grindy as you want. If you like to as a "Rat", aka low level, cheap gear, then you won't need that much rubbles to sustain it. If you want to nicely kitted out Chad and you are not great at game, then prepare yourself to grind rubbles in any possible way. Ofc this does not effect good veteran players, as they have so much more knowledge and skill, which brings it to my other point - this games learning curve is at the level of EVE online.
    You will need to invest a lot of time to learn it to be at least decent at it. I love Division, but its Dark zone is like puppy and rainbow daycare compared to Tarkov. This game will want you to strangle cute kittens and other small lovely critters.

As what is said above, this game brings moments of pure joy while also giving the extreme opposite of frustration and despair. What makes you win at this game is map knowledge then game knowledge then aim. Some would say aim be top but that's assuming you shot first and get the headshot.

For anyone on the fence look at pestilys raid series. Which goes over the game content, pvp and loot runs, with the end result in getting the kappa container using the standard account.

Another thing to note, game is still beta so that means there are wipes. At present we are in late stage so wipe can happen at any time over the next few months despite devs saying just recently that wipe is not planned.

Best time to play tarkov is at start of wipe, but not as a new player. You will get destroyed.

Anyone that wants a Sherpa to walk them through stuff you can send me a pm. But You will learn a lot through map guides and do a lot of offline raids to get that map knowledge.

Thanks for the replies. I actually bit the bullet and bought it yesterday and have about 4 hours logged since. It's fascinating to me, I've never played something where you don't have so much as a compass to tell which way you're heading, it's tough to figure out where you are at spawn, but I presume that'll get easier with time.

Had a truly shocking / cool moment in a scav run. Met another human playing a scav and he started doing the lean jiggle thing, so I assumed he was friendly, we set off together and momentarily stopped at the side of the road, when all of a sudden ,he got one shot sniped out of nowhere. I got a tremendous fright and ran off, leaving my temporary friend to die alone.

The suddenness of it was both brutal and thrilling!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The game brings out the best and worst of people, and your decision making. I love it. Just desync is so so bad sometimes. If that was ever fixed, Tarkov would be for me one of the greatest.

game id say is gonna change drastically over the next year if they do implement the changes they have talked about. Next patch brings about scav karma to put a benefit there to limit scav on scav violence but tbh in game voip needs to be put in to make that work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

the worst part of the game and grindiest were Quests. A lot of them want you to do very spesific things or find stuff in raids.

For me the quests that were "deliver these items" or "retrieve this from there" were fine for the most part. Even the most of the kill quests made sense from a lore perspective (kill scavs on interchange for example).
    The ones I had problems with were the kill PMC quests for the most part, Shooter born in Heaven, Punisher part 6, Grenadier, and others feel less like quests and more like achievements. I would hope they are only there to test the mechanics of the game and will be removed once we get closer to a full release (soon tm)

well expanding tasks and changing existing ones are part of the plan, mainly to expand on the lore since the release of the raid movie.

just to point out, you can get max traders without doing any tasks/quests, it will just take a bit longer. For SBIH, you only need to do this if you want to get the kappa container. SBIH and Grenadier are best done early wipe ( first 2 months) as it's a lot easier, many people put them off and try to get it passively but if worked on as soon as you have it - pays off big time.

• Advertisement

quick but somewhat boring update as I take my intial steps in this.

I'm stick with the map 'Customs' for the time being, as it seems to be one of the more straightforward ones. I've gone in a few times in offline mode to get a better handle on the layout, and I'm starting to build a picture of it. Its still slightly confusing in the middle area by Old gas station , but again, time spent will help here.

I've managed to extract a few times from the scav raids and thats been a good old confidence booster, made the mistake of taking my main PMC character in with a pistol and no ammo, which went exactly as you'd expect.

went again later and played it cautiously, and managed a successful PMC extraction. I never thought I'd be so happy to have looted some screws and a measuring tape! My stash is almost full now, so I may as well start taking some of the scav stuff back into the PMC raids as I've no real attachement to it. I'll save my MP5's and M4's till I get a bit more confident.

Advertisement