Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Gaa Commentators / Analysists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm sure there are good female presenters and analysts but the ones they have are terrible and clearly ticking boxes. I hope to god we don't have Joanne for the next 30 years. I miss Lester and I felt that Darragh Moloney was far superior but sadly they were obviously set on getting a woman.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Great to see an all female panel on TG4 for the ladies final today and 2 female analysts on the Sunday game. The way it should be. Hopefully we can stop the nonsense of having a female for the sake of it on the mens game.

Yep. Unless a man knows the women's game inside out he shouldn't be chosen. Same for the mens game although obviously ex female players would have a big interest in the mens game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm sure there are good female presenters and analysts but the ones they have are terrible and clearly ticking boxes. I hope to god we don't have Joanne for the next 30 years. I miss Lester and I felt that Darragh Moloney was far superior but sadly they were obviously set on getting a woman.

I actually think Joanne has grown into the role well. She seemed very confrontational, almost aggressive for the first while in the job but shes been much better this year and feels like a proper presenter. I think shes better than Darragh Moloney would be. He is an exceptional commentator and enjoy him on games..

The only change I'd like to see is Jacqui Hurley brought on to host the Sunday game highlights. Des Cahill is an incompetent bore and absolutely terrible. Jacqui is fantastic on Sunday sport on radio 1 and would be a far better person than Des imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Well if the commentator tomight who felt that Dublin defenders were cynical by getting in the way of a score is the future we are done

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mulemule11

Disgusting thread altogether. Full of very thinly veiled sexism and utter stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The women’s game vs the men’s game, underage vs seniors ? It’s football, it’s a sport. If you have a background and experience as an intercounty player, passion and the ability to communicate that experience, insights and opinions.... who cares what gender you are ? .... a guy as a pundit on the girls or visa versa...

It’s a sport, you have experience competing, being successful, can articulate your opinions , be insightful, you tick the boxes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Could RTE organise someone to talk to their pundits about the correct use of the word allude?

I actually think Joanne has grown into the role well. She seemed very confrontational, almost aggressive for the first while in the job but shes been much better this year and feels like a proper presenter. I think shes better than Darragh Moloney would be.
    I disagree, she's calmed down but is still too much of an irritant. If it has to be a female broadcaster then there were better alternatives already in RTE sports imho, Jacqui as you say is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,137 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ask a young kid who her favourite footballer is and I would guarantee it wouldn't be one of the females.

Maybe that's because the women were never on TV so the young girls don't know enough about them. Ask em who their favorite boxer is and I guarantee it will be a female

TV exposure is huge for a sport when it comes to young people so by putting the work in now and getting women's sport on TV maybe down the line that answer will change.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Maybe that's because the women were never on TV so the young girls don't know enough about them. Ask em who their favorite boxer is and I guarantee it will be a female

TV exposure is huge for a sport when it comes to young people so by putting the work in now and getting women's sport on TV maybe down the line that answer will change.
    Possibly very true, plus the good news is the female analysts can give opinions on games they actually played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭crossman47

Well if the commentator tomight who felt that Dublin defenders were cynical by getting in the way of a score is the future we are done

I'm not sure what your point is but both the mens and womens teams were cynical when defending their leads. Of course, Cork couldn't point the resulting frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jackboy

Women’s boxing is pretty much never on TV in Ireland.

jackboy wrote: »
    Women’s boxing is pretty much never on TV in Ireland.

No unless it was Katie Taylor who is all over the news and media. My point was give women good coverage like she gets and people will nwlame then as favorite sports people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jackboy

No unless it was Katie Taylor who is all over the news and media. My point was give women good coverage like she gets and people will nwlame then as favorite sports people

Because she is the most successful Irish boxer of the last few years. If she wasn’t highly successful on the international stage not many would care.

Like boys, girls will admire the best GAA players, which are the men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Beffs wrote: »
    Ask any young female tennis fan who her favorite player is and it is more likely to be one of the Williams sisters than Roger Federer.

Ask any young female boxing fan who her favorite boxer is and it's more likely to be Katie Taylor than Tyson Fury.

Give young women the same encouragement, support, marketing, exposure, facilities etc as their male counterparts and you will soon have successful female role models for young females to look up to, admire and aspire to be like.

The GAA, Irish team sporting organizations and Irish society in general are all crap at that, so it's hardly surprising if Aidan O'Shea and Lionel Messi are on the posters on bedroom walls

It's not rocket science.

Case in point, down at the local club my daughter has no interest in Jonny Cooper or Eoin Murchan. Her hero is Leah Caffrey, & in her view Leah Caffrey is 10 times better than Jonny Cooper. She might be right, she might be wrong but thats what she thinks.

mulemule11 wrote: »
    Disgusting thread altogether. Full of very thinly veiled sexism and utter stupidity

It absolutely is. The idea that women cant do the job of commentary, or that cheap get out "I'm not saying that women cant do commentary, but the ones that are doing it are all crap".....

If you want to be mysoginist, then own it......dont make sexist comments and at the same time say that you arent sexist.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Case in point, down at the local club my daughter has no interest in Jonny Cooper or Eoin Murchan. Her hero is Leah Caffrey, & in her view Leah Caffrey is 10 times better than Jonny Cooper. She might be right, she might be wrong but thats what she thinks.
    That's my experience as well, the girls do identify with the female players, so it's great that they're getting more exposure.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    It absolutely is. The idea that women cant do the job of commentary, or that cheap get out "I'm not saying that women cant do commentary, but the ones that are doing it are all crap".....

If you want to be mysoginist, then own it......dont make sexist comments and at the same time say that you arent sexist.
    I really don't think there are many people looking for anything other than equality, this is not provided by requiring less of female analysts than male analysts.

I really don't think there are many people looking for anything other than equality, this is not provided by requiring less of female analysts than male analysts.

Nobody is saying that less is required of female analysts.

Some people are saying they dont think female analysts are as good. As the dude would say - thats just, like, their opinion.

Look at the crap that brolly came out with this weekend about the 'social media' profiles of Mayo players, after everything they put in this year. Or Ewan McKennas cheap shot at John Horan on twitter yesterday. There is no argument to say female analysts arent as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Can anyone explain to me why you need to have played the game 'to the highest level' in order to offer inane insights into a GAA match? You'd swear it was brain surgery we're talking about. There isn't a former female GAA player out there who could offer less meaningful analysis than Sean Kavanagh. And they wouldn't spend half their time on camera staring down at their notes either.

And what constitutes highest level? There isn't an All Ireland medal between Eamon O'Hara, Dessie Dolan, Martin Carney or Ciaran Whelan. Stephen Cluxton has just won 8, so maybe he should be the next choice, I mean the level doesn't get any higher than that.

The mens game may be vastly superior, but they do train, learn tactics, and prepare in a similar fashion for the women's game. And you can also you know, watch games and read about them? I haven't played since under 12's, but myself and some of my mates can put together a more coherent argument in the pub than half the current analysts. Given the huge amount of women who play and watch both codes, its ludicrous to suggest that they should be excluded based on their gender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Kenny Cunningham is on the soccer panel on Premier sports like he is some beacon of knowledge, but he has no idea. Its not only women and not only GAA. The channel 9 Australian cricket commentary team is rubbish, it is like the world slang championships, no idea what they are even saying, never mind their opinion on the game, a pile of cheerleaders, racing coverage is the same, watch it with the sound turned down. On this subject, men and women compete on an equal footing in horse racing, and it's not a big deal if a female jockey has winners. As Alistair Down, a fine racing journalist once said, female jockeys, one day they will be called jockeys. This sums it up for me, play the game and enjoy the game. Everyone has opinions, and it's nice to hear from different people and form your own one. The remote control is handy if you don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Kenny Cunningham is on the soccer panel on Premier sports like he is some beacon of knowledge, but he has no idea. Its not only women and not only GAA. The channel 9 Australian cricket commentary team is rubbish, it is like the world slang championships, no idea what they are even saying, never mind their opinion on the game, a pile of cheerleaders, racing coverage is the same, watch it with the sound turned down. On this subject, men and women compete on an equal footing in horse racing, and it's not a big deal if a female jockey has winners. As Alistair Down, a fine racing journalist once said, female jockeys, one day they will be called jockeys. This sums it up for me, play the game and enjoy the game. Everyone has opinions, and it's nice to hear from different people and form your own one. The remote control is handy if you don't like them.

Racing is a very good example. there are some excellent women presenters on the racing channels and on RTE when they cover a meeting. some of them are former jockies or from racing background like Francesca Cumani, but no idea of what the Sky ones were at, and they are very good.

TG4 coverage is excellent, and that includes the women's football panel presided over by Ní Bhraonáin. Overall, i think TG4 with O'Grady, Goggins, Ó Flatherta and others provides a much more intimate focus on the games. Club coverage is outstanding. Some of RTE stuff is just inane. Possibly due to trying to avoid controversy? Didn't like Brolly's comment on AOS, but he was great addition to TSG. I have pretty minimal interest in soccer but when i watched the odd match, Giles and Dunphy were worth listening to. A kind of good cop/bad cop routine of very good insight and provocation! TSG can be very banal. And commentary is dreadful.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Racing is a very good example. there are some excellent women presenters on the racing channels and on RTE when they cover a meeting. some of them are former jockies or from racing background like Francesca Cumani, but no idea of what the Sky ones were at, and they are very good.

TG4 coverage is excellent, and that includes the women's football panel presided over by Ní Bhraonáin. Overall, i think TG4 with O'Grady, Goggins, Ó Flatherta and others provides a much more intimate focus on the games. Club coverage is outstanding. Some of RTE stuff is just inane. Possibly due to trying to avoid controversy? Didn't like Brolly's comment on AOS, but he was great addition to TSG. I have pretty minimal interest in soccer but when i watched the odd match, Giles and Dunphy were worth listening to. A kind of good cop/bad cop routine of very good insight and provocation! TSG can be very banal. And commentary is dreadful.

Possibly the worst pundit I have ever seen

I actually think Joanne has grown into the role well. She seemed very confrontational, almost aggressive for the first while in the job but shes been much better this year and feels like a proper presenter. I think shes better than Darragh Moloney would be. He is an exceptional commentator and enjoy him on games..

The only change I'd like to see is Jacqui Hurley brought on to host the Sunday game highlights. Des Cahill is an incompetent bore and absolutely terrible. Jacqui is fantastic on Sunday sport on radio 1 and would be a far better person than Des imo.

Fair point of JC. She has definitely improved for sure. Obviously took the criticism on board.

Des is useless and has to go. But people with long term cussy jobs in rte are rarely replaced. Jacqui would be far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KIB4Life

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Fair point of JC. She has definitely improved for sure. Obviously took the criticism on board.

Des is useless and has to go. But people with long term cussy jobs in rte are rarely replaced. Jacqui would be far superior.

It was clear as day that Cantwell and Brolly didn’t see eye to eye, and at times it was uncomfortable the way she used to just question everything he said even if he hadn’t said something controversial, still she seemed to question him. I think she had a personal vendetta against him and I would say that she is a a big reason why he was sacked from RTÉ, like surely someone shouldn’t have been sacked for questioning a referring decision.

If anyone would have been sacked because of the half time analysis it would have had to have been Whelan, because he said he was a bit biased when it came to analysis. I can’t really warmth to her as presenter because of that Jacqueline Hurley I would have actually have preferred to get the job over Cantwell, I think she is much better then Cantwell, but that’s my own personal opinion.

Des I agree is awful, to be honest he seems a nice enough lad but for someone that has been involved in sport for so long, his knowledge and presenting is dreadful, just seems to be badly prepared and does no research. I would like to see Dara O’Cinneide presenting was very good on Seo Spoirt before presenting that so has the experience and knowledge, and I feel would be a great presenter of the Sunday game night time show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jackboy wrote: »
    Because she is the most successful Irish boxer of the last few years. If she wasn’t highly successful on the international stage not many would care.

Like boys, girls will admire the best GAA players, which are the men.

The truth is most people who claim Katie Taylor as a role model for women's sport would not be able to name any of the 5 women she defeated in her World title wins (without an internet search). It is all lip service, superficial sounding stuff, no real interest.
    Which is insulting when you really think about about it.

A person should not get a position or be lauded by virtue of their gender alone.
    It should be on merit a player who attracts interest by their skill level. Or a commentator/analyst who shows their knowledge of the game and has the ability to explain intricacies of the sport in a clear/simple manner.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    It was clear as day that Cantwell and Brolly didn’t see eye to eye, and at times it was uncomfortable the way she used to just question everything he said even if he hadn’t said something controversial, still she seemed to question him. I think she had a personal vendetta against him and I would say that she is a a big reason why he was sacked from RTÉ, like surely someone shouldn’t have been sacked for questioning a referring decision.

I would disagree most of the time other anchor's let Brolly away unchallenged with all sorts of guff. Also Cantwell positions herself as devil's advocate which is what a good anchor should do. Bill O'Herilhy was great at it when he used to do the soccer. Say something and let the lads debate it.
    Des I agree is awful, to be honest he seems a nice enough lad but for someone that has been involved in sport for so long, his knowledge and presenting is dreadful, just seems to be badly prepared and does no research. I would like to see Dara O’Cinneide presenting was very good on Seo Spoirt before presenting that so has the experience and knowledge, and I feel would be a great presenter of the Sunday game night time show.

Agree 100% Dara O'Cinneide seems 'hidden away' on RnaG or TG4 criminally underused in the mainstream English language media Excellent presenter, and interviewer. Plus Des Cahill what can you say? Nice fella but...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭doc_17

I don’t want to hear from people who haven’t played in the all Ireland men’s championship. Likewise, I don’t want to hear from men who haven’t played the ladies game. Colm O’Rourke is obsolete. Cora Staunton is a cliche machine. Tomas “lookit d’know” O’Shea is grand. I miss Brolly. I am watching the game, I know what’s happening. But Brolly makes haf-time pass quicker, winding up Spillane and O’Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

doc_17 wrote: »
    I don’t want to hear from people who haven’t played in the all Ireland men’s championship. Likewise, I don’t want to hear from men who haven’t played the ladies game. Colm O’Rourke is obsolete. Cora Staunton is a cliche machine. Tomas “lookit d’know” O’Shea is grand. I miss Brolly. I am watching the game, I know what’s happening. But Brolly makes the time pass quicker, winding up Spillane and O’Rourke.
    You shouldnt have to and dont need to have played in all ireland mens championship to be able to commentate/analyse the game.
    Brolly was fine in parts but all too often went overboard/talked crap just like many other pundits.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    I don’t want to hear from people who haven’t played in the all Ireland men’s championship. Likewise, I don’t want to hear from men who haven’t played the ladies game. Colm O’Rourke is obsolete. Cora Staunton is a cliche machine. Tomas “lookit d’know” O’Shea is grand. I miss Brolly. I am watching the game, I know what’s happening. But Brolly makes haf-time pass quicker, winding up Spillane and O’Rourke.

I disagree why should you have to have played in the the All Ireland Men's championship to analyse/commentate on it? The key to being a good analyst or commentator is knowledge of the game, ability to make incisive coherent points and explain nuances to the listener/watcher at home.

Arsene Wenger Brian Kerr, and Jose Mourinho never played soccer at a very high level yet people have no problem listening to them talk about Champions League or International soccer.

As for Brolly he turned himself into 'pantomime Joe' he has admitted himself he just says things for the craic, for a wind up. Is that an analysts job or just bar stool fella in the pub stuff?

Advertisement