Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Female Gaa Commentators / Analysists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭raindodger

watched sky last night thought it was far superior jj very good also the anchor so relaxed and confident

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Dessie Dolan is a terrible analyst just like Des Cahill everything is smoothed over 'no malice whatsoever ' as the replay show someone's head nearly taken off. It's so infuriating to watch ,they are so cosy with their Rte gig.
    Actually find Cora Stauton to be a good analyst

Absolutely no need for women analysts on mens football and hurling. Let people who played the sports on to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the kelt wrote: »
    Is it that theyre female?

Do you need to have played the game to certain level to be good enough to be an analyst?

Yes you do, played or managed (and not back in the 80s, Pet Spillane and Colm O'Rourke) you need to know the game and the current set ups and players.

Apart from yer wan they have on for the hurling (Ursula?) having a voice like a dentists drill, she has sweet FA to say in terms of analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

Bambi wrote: »
    Yes you do, played or managed (and not back in the 80s, Pet Spillane and Colm O'Rourke) you need to know the game and the current set ups and players.

Apart from yer wan they have on for the hurling (Ursula?) having a voice like a dentists drill, she has sweet FA to say in terms of analysis

The analysts number one job is to entertain and rte have forgotten that. Having a deep knowledge of the game is not enough. The likes of Dessie Dolan or Colm Cooper should not be on, they are incredibly boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This is absolutely clueless. Because someone has played the sport at an elite level doesn't mean they can express knowledge of the game like someone who perhaps analyses it/studies it for their job (journalists etc).

Like in Soccer, some players are the most braindead guys you'd ever see and come across awfully on TV in their 'analysis'

callaway92 wrote: »
    This is absolutely clueless. Because someone has played the sport at an elite level doesn't mean they can express knowledge of the game like someone who perhaps analyses it/studies it for their job (journalists etc).

It doesnt and theres plenty of RTE analysts who were top level players and are crap but its still a prerequisite for the job, Journos and the rest arent worth a curse, literal hurlers on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It doesnt and theres plenty of RTE analysts who were top level players and are crap but its still a prerequisite for the job, Journos and the rest arent worth a curse, literal hurlers on the ditch.

Sorry now, but probably the majority or journos would watch more of the sport than most players would. They'd likely have a better insight into the sport as a whole.

It's geared towards casual viewers, that's why they have them. People don't want to listen to people they don't know talking about the sport. It's the same as Soccer coverage on TV. Keane is useless but he's always on because people love a soundbite from him. But what you're saying of a journalist etc not having a clue is completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sorry now, but probably the majority or journos would watch more of the sport than most players would. They'd likely have a better insight into the sport as a whole.

It's geared towards casual viewers, that's why they have them. People don't want to listen to people they don't know talking about the sport. It's the same as Soccer coverage on TV. Keane is useless but he's always on because people love a soundbite from him. But what you're saying of a journalist etc not having a clue is completely wrong

IMO Colm Keys and Michael Foley are excellent.Oft on some of the podcasts,I could listen to them all day.

Totally off topic but I think Keano is very good,calls it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Yes, there is definitely some tokenism in some of the people RTE put on I've no doubt about it.

But you can't single out female commentators/analysts. There's awful male analysts and commentators, as bad if not worse than anyone.
    Added to that I think Joanne Cantwell does a superb job as presenter and I wish she totally replaced that fool Cahill. Bríd Stack has been decent when she has been on which is no surprise as she was a brilliant footballer.

Ursula Jacob's voice goes through me, have to say. How did anyone not say "hang on, maybe she's not suited to this"...but there's as bad and probably worse.

Dessie Dolan, as is almost universally agreed - I switch channel or mute if that isn't an option. Mentioned above that he's a teacher?! Jesus wept. The man rarely puts a cogent sentence together on TV.
    Martin Carney says "it must be said" 100 times during each game he's on. How has this never been pointed out to him and stopped?
    Ger Canning - again, absolutely incoherent at times. His lack of knowledge even of his home county of Cork, is puzzling if not a joke for someone of his experience.

Could go on but the above is enough that you'd have to seriously question who in RTE sport makes these calls. They appear to not have a clue what they are doing in my view.

• Advertisement

Cos the average GAA viewer will know some hack from the indo better than they would JJ Delaney or Donal Óg? :rolleyes:

Lads who are on the outside looking in dont have have the insight of people who are in the middle of it, thats how it works in all walks of life

If I wanted an analysis at the level of some fella down the pub I'd go down the pub. The notion we need the journos to interpret things for us like we're all halfwits belongs back in the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The FC Dallas boys under 15 team beat the Usa women's football team 5-2 in 2017

The USA women are ranked no1 in the world with world cup wins in 1991, 1999, 2015 and 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cos the average GAA viewer will know some hack from the indo better than they would JJ Delaney or Donal Óg? :rolleyes:

Lads who are on the outside looking in dont have have the insight of people who are in the middle of it, thats how it works in all walks of life

If I wanted an analysis at the level of some fella down the pub I'd go down the pub. The notion we need the journos to interpret things for us like we're all halfwits belongs back in the 80s

You have to think of the people who only watch casually as well though, I would say there are more casual watchers of varying degrees, than hardcore watchers.

Same in any sport I suppose, the sunshine supporters prove it.

Maybe this is why most of the analysis is basic or pantomime stuff? More of a general market for it.

On the commentary for the camogie final Elaine Alyward with Marty, sounded no better than Michael Duignan with Marty in the hurling final imo. Marty barely feigned interest in the camogie, was the impression I got. He sounded bored.

In fairness both matches were hardly epics.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I find the analysts and commentators are generally poor. Someone mentioned already but Darragh Maloney is by far the best commentator but has never got an All-Ireland final.

Co-commentators are very poor for the most part. Duigan is probably the worst, he mumbles, talks too fast, and someone would want to kill someone on the field before he'd say there was any malice in a foul.

I actually think Joanne Cantwell is very good and has surprised me. She's far ahead of Des Cahill! As for analysts, Cora Staunton is good when talking about Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

You really don’t need to have played the game at the highest level to know the game. That decrees the more medals you have and big games you played the more you know the game and a better analyst you’ll be

Are you trying to claim there are people out there who know the game better than Micheal o Muircheartaigh simply because of the level they played the game for example?

Would you rather read an analysis or article by Ciaran Whelan, Dessie Dolan or Malachy Clerkin?

I have to agree, being from Wexford I do try to make exceptions for my fellow wexicans but sweet Jesus Ursula needs to be binned, I mean it’s a prime example of the problem in RTE, another appointment completely ill suited for the job.

• Site Banned Posts: 74 ✭✭Mickey_James

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Yeah no Grainne McElwain I think she’s from Monaghan, used to the coverage for TG4 for Peil na mBan, even though I used know what she saying there but she is very good alright. The whole thing of pundits having to have played at a high level to be a pundit in nonsense the likes of Shefflin, Sean Cavanagh, and the Gooch have made me realise that just become you might have been a brilliant player doesn’t mean that you are going to be a knowledgeable and good pundit and analyst.

I’d much rather someone that might not have been successful or might not have been the best player, but is actually good at analysing the game, this is something that Sky seem to do well. They have the mix of Jamesie O’Connor and Peter Canvana in the box analysis and slowing things down to show something like a tactic that the viewers might not have realised or that might not have been picked up on camera.

Then the coverage itself has improved since McElwain took over from Wyse and Carney as they have someone now that has come from a GAA background and knows more about the GAA then the two previous presenters. The commentary from Sky is decent enough at lot better when Dave McIntyre is there must be one of the most hardest working commentators out and very versatile can do the GAA, soccer and rugby and is very good at all of them. Mike Finerty on the other hand is dreadful and makes Ger Canning and Marty look brilliant in comparison. Just shows no passion or enthusiasm when commentating there could have been a brilliant score and he makes it sound like he is just after reading the death notices on the radio.

The co-com on Sky aren’t the best I don’t think either on Sky, Nicky English and Paul Earley are alright, but weak enough I feel. Even though the co-com isn’t much better on RTÉ even though Cummins and Duignan can be decent. But whenever Dessie Dolan is on co-com on the football he just states the obvious or even at times says things that don’t make sense, for a teacher he doesn’t come across as the most articulate.

I HATE McIntyre commentating, he constantly emphasises certain words.

His commentary for the iconic Sexton drop goal is cringe too. "It's spinning...it's spinning"

For me, as co commentator/panelist, I want either someone knowledgeable or a character or bonus would be combo of both.

RTE have cleared out the old guard and there's no craic anymore. Michael Lyster with Cyril, Ger and Tomas Mulcahy was great craic and they all spoke their mind but they had the knowledge too.

Donal Og is knowledgable enough but he's such a bore and seemingly very woke too. He said about the AI final "every boy and girl and all the genders in between will be excited for the final"

I want some banter, what we have with Cantwell is clean corporate meeting banter. "I can't guarantee but the fact Peter will be wearing a warmer coat when the broadcast starts haha"

I don't know who was on with Ger Canning on Sunday but she was such a bore. Monotonous voice, no insights or attempted insights. Just plain "he did well there, Antrim have been dominant and should be further ahead."

Actually the Joe McDonagh final was treated like a womens game anyways, excuses made for the rubbish quality. When the antrim defender completely missed a ball in Canning said "in defence there's a bad sun in his eyes that probably made him lose sight of the ball"...would they make the same excuse if it was a Limerick player who did it?

Or when a Kerry lad handpassed in between two players out of play, it's "a mix up" rather than a poor pass, which it was.

I'm just sick of the constant ramming down our throats about womens sports. It's not organic at all. Constant praise that the womens all ireland attendance record is broken, when that's down to them throwing free tickets at schools and to anyone who wants them. I remember a year or so ago radio ads for women soccer saying "come out to Tallaght stadium and support the womens team and help break the womens attendance record in Ireland!"...I'm thinking, why? Are they trying to con sponsorship or what?

Token women on every panel. What does Cora Staunton know about playing the mens game? Womens game is basically just run around all day like headless chickens. The women can't even score a point off the ground from a 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

You really don’t need to have played the game at the highest level to know the game. That decrees the more medals you have and big games you played the more you know the game and a better analyst you’ll be

And I imagine anyone who knows any fair number of inter-county GAA players would know their brilliance on the field doesn't always equate to brilliance off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

For me, as co commentator/panelist, I want either someone knowledgeable or a character or bonus would be combo of both.

RTE have cleared out the old guard and there's no craic anymore. Michael Lyster with Cyril, Ger and Tomas Mulcahy was great craic and they all spoke their mind but they had the knowledge too.

Donal Og is knowledgable enough but he's such a bore and seemingly very woke too. He said about the AI final "every boy and girl and all the genders in between will be excited for the final"

I want some banter, what we have with Cantwell is clean corporate meeting banter. "I can't guarantee but the fact Peter will be wearing a warmer coat when the broadcast starts haha"

I don't know who was on with Ger Canning on Sunday but she was such a bore. Monotonous voice, no insights or attempted insights. Just plain "he did well there, Antrim have been dominant and should be further ahead."

Actually the Joe McDonagh final was treated like a womens game anyways, excuses made for the rubbish quality. When the antrim defender completely missed a ball in Canning said "in defence there's a bad sun in his eyes that probably made him lose sight of the ball"...would they make the same excuse if it was a Limerick player who did it?

Or when a Kerry lad handpassed in between two players out of play, it's "a mix up" rather than a poor pass, which it was.

I'm just sick of the constant ramming down our throats about womens sports. It's not organic at all. Constant praise that the womens all ireland attendance record is broken, when that's down to them throwing free tickets at schools and to anyone who wants them. I remember a year or so ago radio ads for women soccer saying "come out to Tallaght stadium and support the womens team and help break the womens attendance record in Ireland!"...I'm thinking, why? Are they trying to con sponsorship or what?

Token women on every panel. What does Cora Staunton know about playing the mens game? Womens game is basically just run around all day like headless chickens. The women can't even score a point off the ground from a 45.

Pretty poorly thought out post. I personally think that Cantwell is better than Lyster, I thought Lyster was good too but relied on too many cliches. Cantwell at least seems to have prepared and studied the teams involved before the game.

I don't want banter from the analysts and the anchor, I want debate, I want a proper assessment of the game rather than tired cliches like "Galway always have good forwards" "Meath are always physical"...etc.

I would hazard a guess that Cora Staunton knows at least as much about the modern game as Spillane and O'Rourke who offer no insights into what happens on the field.

As for your remark about women and 45s, well the fact that women have different physical attributes than men makes it a lot more difficult to score from that range. You also seem to forget that most men struggle to score 45s as well.

As for your remark about women and 45s, well the fact that women have different physical attributes than men makes it a lot more difficult to score from that range. You also seem to forget that most men struggle to score 45s as well.

Exactly, which is why it's pointless having Staunton on a mens game when she hasn't got a clue about what it's like.

As for 45s, every player in the mens game will be able reach the distance anyways!

I don't even think shoulders are allowed in the womens game?

Why is Staunton on there? Nothing she said was insightful or interesting. Safe, simple words. They might as well just go for a journalist who has in depth knowledge and knows how to portray the point.

It's clear as day they are tokens. It's the same on every panel, soccer, rugby.

RTE especially are pushing it because they've lost all the rights to the good sports and now are trying to make out that womens sport is some major coup.

Saturday they had a full day of womens sport - didn't flick onto rte 2 once. No one is demanding womens sports on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

I vaguely remember a discussion before, not sure if it was about soccer or GAA. The jist was that due to the fact that women in average are smaller than men the pitch and goals should reflect that. So, the pitches for women should be smaller and the goals lower and narrower. That would mean far less of the type of goals scored that make a mockery of the goalkeeper

Image how the male goalkeepers would do if the goals were much higher and wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

As for 45s, every player in the mens game will be able reach the distance anyways!

No they wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KIB4Life

I am probably going off topic, with this post but I’m just going to say it anyway. Why is there no mid week GAA chat review/preview show or magazine show on RTÉ nowadays they are missing out like last week for the hurling and this week for the football no preview, show for the two biggest games in GAA calendar. TG4’s Seo Sport used to be brilliant and was such a shame that show was cancelled.

Like they don’t do a good job on promoting the games, like last week they could have done something about Waterford’s last victory in 1959 and what are the reasons why they haven’t won an All Ireland since. Or something like Champions League magazine where they often do pieces with fans and past players about past games, why couldn’t they do this for the GAA they are missing out of feel and it is something that will have to be looked at into the future getting a decent review/preview or magazine style programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Exactly, which is why it's pointless having Staunton on a mens game when she hasn't got a clue about what it's like.

Saturday they had a full day of womens sport - didn't flick onto rte 2 once. No one is demanding womens sports on tv.

It's ok for you to have no interest in women's sport but that doesn't mean that women's sport shouldn't get equal coverage. You can choose whether or not to watch it.

I think the main issue with Cora is that she doesn't have a voice for TV or Radio. Something RTE don't seem to consider when appointing people.

To suggest that women don't have anything of value to add to a commentary team of a match played by men - is pretty caveman-like to be honest. Out of interest - do you have the same concern with men commentating on a women's game? I doubt it....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Misguided1 wrote: »
    It's ok for you to have no interest in women's sport but that doesn't mean that women's sport shouldn't get equal coverage. You can choose whether or not to watch it.

I think the main issue with Cora is that she doesn't have a voice for TV or Radio. Something RTE don't seem to consider when appointing people.

To suggest that women don't have anything of value to add to a commentary team of a match played by men - is pretty caveman-like to be honest. Out of interest - do you have the same concern with men commentating on a women's game? I doubt it....

Yeah there is a clear whiff of sexism on this thread. I couldn't give a damn if commentators or analysts are male or female. As long as they are good on the ear, passionate, knowledgeable or insightful. Plus it is important to know when to shut up and let the viewer soak up a game, at times.

Unfortunately, I think most GAA pundits/commentators are miles behind even other sports like soccer - male/female. And that is saying something!

It is clear many do not know how to talk on air for a start. Nothing to do with accents, just making a clear cogent point. Another poster mentioned media training a great idea, as many seem to be severely lacking.

If the GAA found a commentator/analyst equivalent standard of Lisa Fallon in the soccer they would be delighted. Male or female. Unfortunately, RTE seem to go for pure amateurs 'whay-hooo-hooo yahoo' type stuff mostly. It would be ok if it was balanced out a bit with an articulate panellists. Why do RTE not use Kieran Donaghy for example - excellent eye for tactical analysis. Or any female equivalent?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Are you trying to claim there are people out there who know the game better than Micheal o Muircheartaigh simply because of the level they played the game for example?

Was a Muircheartaigh an analysts

I think Darragh Maloney is the best commentator RTE have by a country mile but he's not an analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

The FC Dallas boys under 15 team beat the Usa women's football team 5-2 in 2017

The USA women are ranked no1 in the world with world cup wins in 1991, 1999, 2015 and 2019

I made the same point about the Camogie the other day. A good u14 boys team would beat the ladies seniors. Half them girls are only 17 anyway. An u16 team would obliterate them.

Misguided1 wrote: »

Why do womens sports deserve equal coverage?

You're not one of these fools buying into the "they train just as hard as the men!"

Sure if that's the case, why not show some ****ty Junior C game where they try just as hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes, there is definitely some tokenism in some of the people RTE put on I've no doubt about it.

But you can't single out female commentators/analysts. There's awful male analysts and commentators, as bad if not worse than anyone.
    Added to that I think Joanne Cantwell does a superb job as presenter and I wish she totally replaced that fool Cahill. Bríd Stack has been decent when she has been on which is no surprise as she was a brilliant footballer.

Ursula Jacob's voice goes through me, have to say. How did anyone not say "hang on, maybe she's not suited to this"...but there's as bad and probably worse.

Jaysus her voice is almost as bad as Katie Taylors.
    Martin Carney says "it must be said" 100 times during each game he's on. How has this never been pointed out to him and stopped?

If only on RTE he was like he was on MidWest Radio he would still be there.
    Ger Canning - again, absolutely incoherent at times. His lack of knowledge even of his home county of Cork, is puzzling if not a joke for someone of his experience.

I have ignored him for years although if you thought he was bad on GAA listen to him on soccer.

Ahh FFS he didn't.

Ah now Cora knows more about sport than most men including some of the ex players.
    Hell in her hayday she was better than most men as well.

Besides I was waiting for Spillane and Whelan to step out of line for her to cut them down to size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Was a Muircheartaigh an analysts

I think Darragh Maloney is the best commentator RTE have by a country mile but he's not an analyst

No he wasnt but my point was in regards to knowledge of the game because it has been deemed you need to have played to a high level to know the game.

I agree on Maloney btw and yet all we get is Marty trying to recreate another "holy Moses" moment every all ireland because apparently that was brilliant!

Advertisement