Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

No sign of them closing.
    The government said today that hospitality industry would be closed again but retail and gyms would stay open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

2020 probably saw more home gyms set up in Ireland than any previous year... For good reason. I'd say 2021 is not going to be much different until the final quarter.

Seems like a form of lockdown #3 is on the horizon. I find it difficult to believe that if numbers continue to rise we won't see gym closures and other restrictions in at least some counties, even if Leo is not quite ready to say that yet.

There was an equipment drought during lockdown #1 and #2, but from what I can see, at the moment there is a lot of stock out there to be had ... I'd suggest, if people have the dosh and have the space, then go get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I suppose time will tell on how the changes in hospitality affect numbers.

Just on the home gym, I think having a gym to leave the house and go to has been a massive mental break with working from home. Apart from collecting the little one from school, the gym is the only time I've been getting out lately, though work has been mental which has been a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I suppose time will tell on how the changes in hospitality affect numbers.

Just on the home gym, I think having a gym to leave the house and go to has been a massive mental break with working from home. Apart from collecting the little one from school, the gym is the only time I've been getting out lately, though work has been mental which has been a factor.

100 percent. Good to have both options though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

ongarite wrote: »
    No sign of them closing.
    The government said today that hospitality industry would be closed again but retail and gyms would stay open.

Thank god, I'm only getting back into it properly at this stage. The thoughts of another lock down is too much to contemplate.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Has anyone heard what the FlyeFit hours are over the Christmas period?

Going by their FAQ page "All other FLYEfit Gym locations will open between 05.30 and 23.15 Monday to Friday and 06.30 to 21.15 Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard what the FlyeFit hours are over the Christmas period?

Going by their FAQ page "All other FLYEfit Gym locations will open between 05.30 and 23.15 Monday to Friday and 06.30 to 21.15 Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays"

They're on the FB page:

131224243_3451081231607461_3754484443622761655_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=SVchFtWDkTQAX9mkeC0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=e5fc19f2df4bc5adfd2bf18d16778420&oe=600697ED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Non-essential retail to remain open and gyms for individual training only, this is great news and will help me get through this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Gyms to stay open official.

Thank God for some sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Non-essential retail to remain open and gyms for individual training only, this is great news and will help me get through this again!

The young fellas training in groups is starting to sneak back into Carlisle. I wish a bit of cop on would be imposed by staff, if not exercised by young fellas. Great to have the facility back. Would hate to see it vanish again.

Gyms to stay open official.

Thank God for some sense.

Good news alright.

Take January joiners out of the equation and a lot of Gyms, particularly smaller ones would probably end up closing their doors for good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gyms closed again at some point in Q1 2021 I'm afraid.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Very happy to hear this, I was sparingly in the gym over the last few weeks expecting them to close again.

Knowing now they won't, I start my program back up and look to actually make some gains.

Kamu wrote: »
    Very happy to hear this, I was sparingly in the gym over the last few weeks expecting them to close again.

Knowing now they won't, I start my program back up and look to actually make.somr gains.

I went hell for leather on the off chance they'd stay open!

Delighted now. Actual progress being made for the first time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I went hell for leather on the off chance they'd stay open!

Delighted now. Actual progress being made for the first time this year.

Time for a deload chief ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

endacl wrote: »
    The young fellas training in groups is starting to sneak back into Carlisle. I wish a bit of cop on would be imposed by staff, if not exercised by young fellas. Great to have the facility back. Would hate to see it vanish again.

I saw this happening in CWD Ben D, I messaged the business in Facebook and said that this will result in closures happening again. I see this morning quite large stand up signs around the building stating "individual training only". Hopefully they enforce this and then we'll be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭obi604

hi, I see the line used for gyms is: "Non-essential retail will remain open as will gyms for individual training only"

Does this mean you can just go to the gym or do you have to book a 1:1 socially distanced session with a trainer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

obi604 wrote: »
    hi, I see the line used for gyms is: "Non-essential retail will remain open as will gyms for individual training only"

Does this mean you can just go to the gym or do you have to book a 1:1 socially distanced session with a trainer?

It just means organised classes are cancelled. BAU for the rest of the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭vafankillar

absolutely delighted with this, makes complete sense.

though I would have liked to see them make masks mandatory. or least gyms should do it themselves. if any clusters happen to pop up we could be ****ed. why not try minimize the risk.

absolutely delighted with this, makes complete sense.

though I would have liked to see them make masks mandatory. or least gyms should do it themselves. if any clusters happen to pop up we could be ****ed. why not try minimize the risk.

Because wearing a mask in the gym is balls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Do ye think there's much chance of the gyms closing again at the next review on the 12th of January again or are they more likely to stay open given they weren't closed this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Because wearing a mask in the gym is balls.

gyms being forced to close again would be...bigger balls?

if every stopped being a baby and wore the mask it would reduce the risk of spreading and closing again.

if every stopped being a baby and wore the mask it would reduce the risk of spreading and closing again.

Masks and high intensity cardio don't mix.

Using them in places where they make sense is fine however.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Do ye think there's much chance of the gyms closing again at the next review on the 12th of January again or are they more likely to stay open given they weren't closed this time?

Yeah, this is a concern. I think there was a sense of allowing the gym to get some memberships in for Jan, and then if numbers are falling a good bit they might stay open - it there hasn't been a good slowdown by 12th Jan I imagine they may be closed along with non-essential retail. Hopefully once the numbers are going in the right direction it will be ok but that depends on people's behaviour in houses and shops etc. as well as gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nullzero wrote: »
    Masks and high intensity cardio don't mix.

Using them in places where they make sense is fine however.

Do the high intensity cardio out in the fresh air.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    100% agree
    Keep numbers down and stay in your own area and there’s no need for a mask

Limited numbers and sanitizing should be enough. Wearing a mask to train is almost as dumb as wearing a mask to eat.

Yeah. There's no way I can wear a mask. I'm gasping for air as is. You can work away, I don't believe in telling people what, or what not to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yeah, this is a concern. I think there was a sense of allowing the gym to get some memberships in for Jan, and then if numbers are falling a good bit they might stay open - it there hasn't been a good slowdown by 12th Jan I imagine they may be closed along with non-essential retail. Hopefully once the numbers are going in the right direction it will be ok but that depends on people's behaviour in houses and shops etc. as well as gyms.

Agreed along with that at this stage id imagine their being guided from where they've seen cases originate in the past so gyms and leisure centres have probably been run well. Where I go were limited by time and can only use the gym or pool but its being cleaned more than any restaurant etc ive been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

They neeeeeeeed to ban cardio from January 1st!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If they put the rowing machines outside i'd be ok with that, might add a bit of realism but probably not great for the equipment.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement