Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're Upper Class When

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You are an expert in the history of the local area. You've maybe wrote a book or set up a site about it.

Usually with your ancestors at the centre of that history, for better or worse

I'd guess that everyone with over 20 million euro is upper class. 10 million plus is merely upper middle class. The classiest people in the world are all worth over 500 million. Also, all 32 of your great great great grandparents need to have been considered by their contemporaries to have been upper class, otherwise you are just contemptible common scum with no dignity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

You've forgotten about your Ansbacher account that the Revenue missed

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

PopZiggy wrote: »
    You've forgotten about your Ansbacher account that the Revenue missed
    Told you...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I tend to use the term "Celtic Tiger Millionaires" i.e. not really well off just mortgaged and maxed out to the hilt to distinguish those who are genuinely very well off.

The people who think borrowing a million makes you a millionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Using the term new money

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

What would
    Winston say cousin ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭OldRio

Posters thinking money can buy class. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

"The upper class don't give a fk what other people think so they don't buy the latest snazzy items but also the upper class wouldn't be caught dead in a 2021 3 series BMW or watching a 50" TV because it's far too vulgar" :confused::confused:

This thread is incoherent nonsense. It's is a blend of reverse snobbery at the tiny number of wealthy "west brit" types who live, minding their own business, along the Sandymount to Killiney belt, mixed with residual Celtic tiger hang-ups and a sprinkling of UK style social classification which is totally irrelevant in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sky King wrote: »
    "The upper class don't give a fk what other people think so they don't buy the latest snazzy items but also the upper class wouldn't be caught dead in a 2021 3 series BMW or watching a 50" TV because it's far too vulgar" :confused::confused:

This thread is incoherent nonsense.

Of course it is. Just read the OP.

• Advertisement

You have a railway running around your estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

In Ireland, I don't think you can. Even if you tried.

Your born into a certain class. The same educational institutes, professions, clubs and social gatherings are attended and controlled by the same people.

The same restaurants, even pubs and shops are used by these people.

And if you tried , you would be totally alienated and an outsider from both "classes"

So don't fool yourself - you are only upper class when you always were and know you are entitled to be.

You probably can't move that much, maybe working class to upper middle class is doable over a generation or two. Upper class is definitely old money "connected" territory in this part of the world. Not impossible though either, see the likes of JP McManus, definitely went from maybe middle class to definite upper class.

Whether he feels like it though is another thing. By education and income I've definitely moved towards being solidly middle class in the last few years. And yet I often feel like an imposter, neither fully at home with my middle class colleagues or working class roots but straddling both. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Nearly over vwvwv

One thing I have always been thankful for growing up in rural Ireland in hindsight is that we were all the same growing up- same backgrounds. There was no 'rich' or 'poor' part of the village. Our mothers stayed at homes and our fathers were either in trades or farming background. We were all the same. No hang ups or keeping up with the Joneses.

When I moved into the 'city' at 18 to university I looked on with bemusement at the hang ups and chips on the shoulders certain lads had because they resented the private rugby fee school lads in the year. Basically some lads (working class backgrounds) not from the fee paying schools had a right chip on their shoulders. Of course on the other hand you had the cliques with the fee paying lads and ladies- they had their own insecurities.

It was all new to me and I was damn glad I didnt give a flying fcuk abut the Munster Cup or whatever. It meant nothing to me. I'll take being a bogger any day than living with huge social hang ups that comes with urban living.

But I thought boggers were obsessed with road frontage and dairy herd size?

But I thought boggers were obsessed with road frontage and dairy herd size?

Some are no doubt. Personally I am not from a farming background so it holds very little appeal to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

One thing I have always been thankful for growing up in rural Ireland in hindsight is that we were all the same growing up- same backgrounds. There was no 'rich' or 'poor' part of the village. Our mothers stayed at homes and our fathers were either in trades or farming background. We were all the same. No hang ups or keeping up with the Joneses.

When I moved into the 'city' at 18 to university I looked on with bemusement at the hang ups and chips on the shoulders certain lads had because they resented the private rugby fee school lads in the year. Basically some lads (working class backgrounds) not from the fee paying schools had a right chip on their shoulders. Of course on the other hand you had the cliques with the fee paying lads and ladies- they had their own insecurities.

It was all new to me and I was damn glad I didnt give a flying fcuk abut the Munster Cup or whatever. It meant nothing to me. I'll take being a bogger any day than living with huge social hang ups that comes with urban living.

Those "working class" people must have been living in the areas of fee-paying schools to even be aware of them.

Generally the chips are on the shoulders of fee-paying students in the sense that they view themselves as better.Weirdly.

Worse...most people who are "urban living" as you say, are originally from the country. Some of the worst snobs I know (lovely people but with massive hang ups on where they live) originated in the country or a poorer part of Dublin, but now live in D4.The thought of crossing the Liffey actually horrifies them, they only cross the M50 bridge to go to the airport.

I find it quite amusing by the way -yes there is a whole other part of Dublin that exists outside Foxrock and Blackrock.They are always so surprised, with "oh this is actually quite nice" reactions!!!

OldRio wrote: »
    Posters thinking money can buy class. Not a chance.

But what if they have 600 million euro? Surely by that point a person crosses the threshold from lacking class and dignity to finally possessing it for the first time in their lives. At 600 million nobody should have to be made feel bad by other peoples judgments of them. THEN they can finally be happy! Think of all the Hugo Boss t-shirts and Canada Goose jackets they could buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Canada goose jackets should not be sold in Harrods or BT's I was recently in BT's and the floor with Canada goose had quite a few cream crackers in there never saw that before. b Bad hair cuts shouting at each other vile they spoil everything with the d rug money.

Nothing says I'm a lower-mid tier drug dealer like a Canada goose jacket.

Question: What kind of person spends €175 on what is apparently a regular beanie hat?

https://www.brownthomas.com/brands/canada-goose/logo-hat/141147621.html?cgid=canada-goose#start=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A journalist who grew up in a small village in the west of Ireland wrote a brilliant article on that subject and her bewilderment at the petty snobbery of Dublin, which she could never get a handle on because where she grew up everyone mixed with everyone else.

mariaalice wrote: »
    A journalist who grew up in a small village in the west of Ireland wrote a brilliant article on that subject and her bewilderment at the petty snobbery of Dublin, which she could never get a handle on because where she grew up everyone mixed with everyone else.

I grew up in the middle of a wood with a good acre of land around the house. No cars or busy roads. In fact cannot see another house.

From where I stood in the City it all looked the same. Either living in some drab non descript estate or some slightly less drab estate with a bit more garden. I felt sorry for both sides. Hilariously they would both call me a culche etc as if that is supposed to be an insult. I'll take that any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Class has little to do with bank balances or assets, it is more to do with the way one comports themselves.

The plebian-Irish seem positively fixated on shuffling each other into social classes.

The differentiation can similarly be categorized into people who have amassed wealth over generations towards the creation of a stronger lineage...and the more vulgar category of the "Rich".

Class is permeant. Riches are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

...now tell me you didnt swap to a David Attenborough voice in your head when reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Stovepipe wrote: »
    All of your shoes are hand made in Lobbs. When you ask a man if he shoots, it's not about holding up a shop with a sawn-off, rather it's about one's Purdeys. Your tweeds are ancient and smell of wet dog. You own proper dogs, not rug ornaments. You served in a Guards Regiment in the British Army and then went to work in a firm in the City, despite not actually needing an income. You only drive Range Rovers. You have a "small place" in Scotland (a castle on 500 acres,with shooting rights and salmon fishing). Your wife is a delightful snob from Surrey,who has never worked a day in her life, and both of you are happily cheating on each other,she with a stable hand and you with an au pair. You live in a slightly run down cottage in Ireland (only the twelve rooms,ye know)and refer to the UK as "the mainland". Your cottage has a boot room, a scullery and a pantry....you know the type.

Sounds delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

you are upperclass when you are more concerned with buying quality than whether its cheap or a bargain.

If you need to ask how much it is, you cant afford it.

my image is posh mothers and daughters shopping in those boutiques in powerscourt shopping centres. prices arent displayed and there is usually an attractive sales assistant at their beck and call.

upper class never mix with lower classes. tehy wouldnt be seen at anywhere cheap. always the best in closed bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Being rich is a totally different thing from being upper class. An upper class person could look very down at heel but still gain entry anywhere because they just exude from every pore the certainity that they are a person of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It's people born into money that don't even have to work. Completely different to the Joe soaps struggling to make ends meet. It gives them a confidence that they can go anywhere and do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Question: What kind of person spends €175 on what is apparently a regular beanie hat?

https://www.brownthomas.com/brands/canada-goose/logo-hat/141147621.html?cgid=canada-goose#start=1

I'll answer that question. A fool.

• Advertisement

Through my work I have known and still do know plenty of self made millionaires. Zero pretentions.

It's the petty social climbers that you have to avoid.

Advertisement