Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GMIT Zoom fiasco

Options
  • 15-12-2020 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't be rushing to send my children to GMIT if this is how they operate behind the scenes.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/1214/1184422-gmit/
    Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology has apologised after two lecturers were overheard at the end of a Zoom session with students discussing the performance of students in crude terms, as well as speculating on private details of students' lives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

The video is fairly shocking - they're so relaxed about it it's clearly common place to talk about students like that behind the scenes. Will be very bad form if the two staff members aren't let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just seen the video...harmless to be honest. I'd imagine lecturers are talking about students like that forever..it just never got out before. The age of outrage, sack everybody....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

In every workplace this happens in some form or another, just these folks got caught with their pants down.

Anyone say otherwise is lying or they work by themselves or billynomates

Its a joke. This shouldn't be news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I think it reflects worse on the student(s) that shared this than on the lecturers who forgot to stop recording after the presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The lecturers deserve to get blame for this getting out to the students however the content of the recording (even the very harsh critique of a certain student's presentation skills) is very commonplace in reviews of any sort in the professional world.

I think a sincere apology to those affected would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Agreed, we're reaching critical mass for the ridiculousness.
    See this article, Derek Daly, a former F1 driver was fired from his broadcaster role in the US for someone saying he used the N word in an interview 35 years ago! Turns out he used it but in a completely different context.
    His son, who is a Nascar driver, and wasn't even alive, had some of his sponsors pulled over this!

http://www.thederekdalysite.com/documents/MediaStatementfromDerekDaly8_23_18.pdf

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/derek-daly-fired

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭salmon1

Absolute non story,from reading the story it read like the lecturers were making fun of the student for being slow but then watching the videos infact the lecturers are trying to help the student. For people saying they wouldn't let there kids go to GMIT over this wait until there kids get into the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Panda5000 wrote: »
    The video is fairly shocking - they're so relaxed about it it's clearly common place to talk about students like that behind the scenes. Will be very bad form if the two staff members aren't let go.

If that shocks you then you need to re assess your outlook.

Co workers comfortable with each other speaking normally.
    Showing plenty of empathy there and discussing the possibility one of the students had mitigating circumstances.

Letting their frustration out in a private group discussion.

And as for anyone not sending children to GMIT as a result of this is away with the fairies if they think this doesn't go on in every single 3rd level institution in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dimo_galway

This stuff is normal. I walked in on a teacher talking **** about me to another teacher. Didn't make a stink about it, just asked a question I needed answered and carried on with my work.

They are right fools doing it in a recordable format though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Showing plenty of empathy there and discussing the possibility one of the students had mitigating circumstances.

Letting their frustration out in a private group discussion.

And as for anyone not sending children to GMIT as a result of this is away with the fairies if they think this doesn't go on in every single 3rd level institution in the country

As well as many workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Employees talk about their managers, managers talk about their employees. Students talk about teachers, teachers talk about students.

Take away all the noise and informality and maybe some unprofessionalism, and they are actually having a proper conversation and highlighting students who might need extra assistance. I wonder how many teachers don't even sense check their own opinion before grading students?

Still, in the world of outrage, I suspect they may get fired, where a slap on the wrist would suffice. Whoever leaked the video instead of raising it through correct channels should also get some education on policy and data use.

😎

It's no way to assess students, colleagues or anyone regardless if it's intended to be private or public. It's very unprofessional and shouldn't be taken lightly in the work place.

Just because it's considered normal to you doesn't make it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If you fired every teacher who talked crap about students, you'd likely be left with zero teachers. Should be reprimanded for being stupid rather than anything else

It's no way to assess students, colleagues or anyone regardless if it's intended to be private or public. It's very unprofessional and shouldn't be taken lightly in the work place.

Just because it's considered normal to you doesn't make it alright.

What part is so outraging?these are lecturers correcting students results,should they just say very good , excellent so everyone is happy?tbh it's two colleagues discussing results,legally on behalf of the 2 lecturers I don't see any way they can be fired,GMIT may get sued for breach or GDPR. I'd also presume the student videod at the end doing a sexual inuendo towards one of the female lecturers may be in for a walking too

salmon1 wrote: »
    these are lecturers correcting students results,should they just say very good , excellent so everyone is happy?

You discuss what they were strong on and what they were weak on, what they need to improve on and pass all the feedback back to the students.

Simple stuff, no need for the additional commentary.

You discuss what they were strong on and what they were weak on, what they need to improve on and pass all the feedback back to the students.

No problem if that's how you think society works then fair play,I just know that if my conversations I've had with colleagues all ready this morning were recorded I'd be all over the media by lunchtime,no of our comments were that bad but just not politically correct.

Just another point from reading twitter the most people who seem to be outraged and want people fired seem to have #benice to everyone ect but it must only apply to them when it suits them.

Anyway I hope the students and staff involved are ok and that nothing happens to the staff members in terms of there mental health or even worse as I can't imagine seeing you face on every media outlet and social media group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Employees talk about their managers, managers talk about their employees. Students talk about teachers, teachers talk about students.

Take away all the noise and informality and maybe some unprofessionalism, and they are actually having a proper conversation and highlighting students who might need extra assistance. I wonder how many teachers don't even sense check their own opinion before grading students?

Still, in the world of outrage, I suspect they may get fired, where a slap on the wrist would suffice. Whoever leaked the video instead of raising it through correct channels should also get some education on policy and data use.

Yeah, it sounds like they had the students best interests at heart alright....
    I thought that f*****g [Name], I thought he’d never – and he’s sick, that lad – I didn’t like to, and eventually I said I have to do something, and he still didn’t stop.
    ......but I thought the other fella, (named student) I thought I'd have to get a drill and start drilling my teeth they were so painful, to be listening to him.

Meanwhile in the real world.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

We need set up a gofundme for the victims of this grave abuse of human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Wombatman wrote: »
    Wouldn't be rushing to send my children to GMIT if this is how they operate behind the scenes.

melted snowflakes the folk who shared it: as for the faux offence takers here:
    welcome to life as lived as opposed to some alternative // imagined reality

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

melted snowflakes the folk who shared it: as for the faux offence takers here:
    welcome to life as lived as opposed to some alternative // imagined reality

How do you think the girl who was described as slow, and having something wrong with her, is doing today?

Yeah of course, she is just imagining all this, as are her parents and family.

She is there for an education, not abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GMIT is a third level institution. It's for adults,not children.

GMIT is a third level institution. It's for adults,not children.

My offspring so. You know what I mean. What's your point?

How do you think the girl who was described as slow, and having something wrong with her, is doing today?

Yeah of course, she is just imagining all this, as are her parents and family.

She is there for an education, not abuse.

So the lecturers found her to be poor at the subject, instead of just failing or whatever they discussed if perhaps there are mitigaing circumstances, give the student the benefit of the doubt, discuss checking if there are other issues at play that need to be considered....but some moron of a student thought it would be a good idea to share that discussion with the public and you are blaming the lecturers for trying to make sure they don't give her a bad grade without taking everyting into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah you shouldn't be rushing to send your children to GMIT, because as adults this is a decision they should be taking. It's an interesting way you pose the question though because I've noticed an increasing tendency to portray those in college as well as those into their mid twenties less as adults and more as children.

The students here are in an adult environment and although this wasn't meant for their ears it's probably the best feedback they'll ever get on their presentation skills. A grade will tell you only so much and can mask a lot of the hard hitting criticism that is often useful to be heard

Yeah you shouldn't be rushing to send your children to GMIT, because as adults this is a decision they should be taking.

Go way outa that. You are considered a child until you are over 18. Most responsible parents will be involved in their CHILD'S CAO application.

Do you really see this as constructive criticism or an indication that students are seen as an annoyance more than anything else?
    "......but I thought the other fella, (named student) I thought I'd have to get a drill and start drilling my teeth they were so painful, to be listening to him."

Sconsey wrote: »
    So the lecturers found her to be poor at the subject, instead of just failing or whatever they discussed if perhaps there are mitigaing circumstances, give the student the benefit of the doubt, discuss checking if there are other issues at play that need to be considered....but some moron of a student thought it would be a good idea to share that discussion with the public and you are blaming the lecturers for trying to make sure they don't give her a bad grade without taking everyting into consideration.
    It's funny, I was thinking, before I make a (marking) decision here on communication, voice and body language … I said I'd better check with access to see if she is on the list someplace for something.

Did they contact the college's disability access office, that 'someplace' to check for 'something'?

• Advertisement

Did they contact the college's disability access office, that 'someplace' to check for 'something'?

Access is the name of the tool/database where this type of information is managed.

Advertisement