Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GMIT Zoom fiasco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wombatman wrote: »
    Go way outa that. You are considered a child until you are over 18. Most responsible parents will be involved in their CHILD'S CAO application.

Do you really see this as constructive criticism or an indication that students are seen as an annoyance more than anything else?

I was 17 when I filled out my CAO. Of course my parents were involved in the discussion as a sounding board as I bounced ideas off of them, but the decision of what course I did and where was mine and mine alone. I certainly was or wasn't sent anywhere.

The criticism is coarse and harsh but which do you think has more impact? "The presentation was so painful I'd rather drill my teeth" or "presentation skills need improving". Sometimes you need to hear the former but because of politeness you only hear the latter. The former is far more valuable as feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Sconsey wrote: »
    Access is the name of the tool/database where this type of information is managed.

What?

https://www.gmit.ie/access-office/students-disabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cfingers

What I think looks really bad on GMIT is that, having said what they said, they then gave one of the students 54%.
    How bad would they have to be, to fail the presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

cfingers wrote: »
    What I think looks really bad on GMIT is that, having said what they said, they then gave one of the students 54%.
    How bad would they have to be, to fail the presentation?
    Fair point.

I'm more than a little surprised that they'd, apparently, routinely boost the marks given to a special needs student. I don't see that as helping anyone, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

FWIW, the students are equally in the wrong here for filming the lectures and distributing it (presumably) without their consent.

The lecturers looked bad, and my initial reaction was definitely to be disgusted at their carry on. But, sitting back and thinking about it, I don't really care. I've said mean things about teachers / lecturers / bosses / colleagues so I cannot throw stones. The reality is most of us talk like this about other people (maybe with a little less expletives).

We're also seeing very short clips (I was forwarded 2 clips, both less than a minute long) so we don't know the context & how the lecturers reacted if / when they realised it was live.

My (Indian) friend thinks it's hilarious that an outrage as started, and that back home the lecturers made them feel worthless and said stuff like this to their faces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Panda5000 wrote: »
    The video is fairly shocking - they're so relaxed about it it's clearly common place to talk about students like that behind the scenes. Will be very bad form if the two staff members aren't let go.

Watched the video after reading this post and genuinely thought i'd watched the wrong one. Was waiting for the shocking part and it never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭salmon1

You can hear the lecturer say to the other lecturer I had to check access to see if there was something wrong? Eg checking the system so I don't get your point here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

salmon1 wrote: »
    You can hear the lecturer say to the other lecturer I had to check access to see if there was something wrong? Eg checking the system so I don't get your point here

And it's obvious to anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of college entrance requirements that Access refers to the various supports provided to students who have learning difficulties and NOT Microsoft Access which would not in general be used widely for administration in large institutions like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

This video shows what is wrong with 3rd level education in Ireland. The lecturers are fairly scathing and say students had no in depth knowledge yet they get 55%. There's a reluctance to fail people and degrees at almost all courses levels are handed out fairly easily with a few exceptions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

any links to the video please.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

duffman13 wrote:
    This video shows what is wrong with 3rd level education in Ireland. The lecturers are fairly scathing and say students had no in depth knowledge yet they get 55%. There's a reluctance to fail people and degrees at almost all courses levels are handed out fairly easily with a few exceptions

I think this is a pretty harsh statement. There are a lot of people in education who work pretty damn hard to get degrees and the idea that they are handed out fairly easily is wrong. Also factor in that courses held online at the moment are not great from my own perspective but most students and lecturers are making the best of a bad situation. In the current crisis there may be a tad more leniency in respect of everything being online. The two people involved had a duty of care and responsibility to speak in a private setting and should have been more aware when dealing with zoom meetings. The way they spoke about the students involved speaks volumes for their character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Shocking? Snowflake clickbait

• Registered Users Posts: 51,454 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No different from any workplace anywhere in the world.
    Non-story.

This could of been handled so differently. All It needed was 1. internal investigation by GMIT why the video was able to be seen by the students 2. Slap on the wrist of the lecturers 3 an apology by lecturers to the students involved 4. Which no body is talking about the male in the video making s sexual inuendo to the lecturer when he turns the camera on himself should apologise aswel which I am sure he regrets and learn from but an apology is needed still.

This would of been alot easier then national media coverage and wattsapp videos of an event which is a complete over reaction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

This could of been handled so differently. All It needed was 1. internal investigation by GMIT why the video was able to be seen by the students 2. Slap on the wrist of the lecturers 3 an apology by lecturers to the students involved 4. Which no body is talking about the male in the video making s sexual inuendo to the lecturer when he turns the camera on himself should apologise aswel which I am sure he regrets and learn from but an apology is needed still.

This would of been alot easier then national media coverage and wattsapp videos of an event which is a complete over reaction...

Whoever leaked the video should be found and failed. Whoever that blonde lad is in the video is watching his back I bet.

PopZiggy wrote: »
    Whoever leaked the video should be found and failed. Whoever that blonde lad is in the video is watching his back I bet.

I wouldn't say watching his back,he's made a mistake like the 2 lecturers so an apology should be all that's needed,everyone will learn valuable lessons from this I'm sure.

One thing I'm certain of is alot of lecturers in similar positions would of been using similar sayings but from today I'm sure it was " great effort ,good attempt blah blah* when they would much rather be using a few different words 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

smurf492 wrote: »
    I think this is a pretty harsh statement. There are a lot of people in education who work pretty damn hard to get degrees and the idea that they are handed out fairly easily is wrong. Also factor in that courses held online at the moment are not great from my own perspective but most students and lecturers are making the best of a bad situation. In the current crisis there may be a tad more leniency in respect of everything being online. The two people involved had a duty of care and responsibility to speak in a private setting and should have been more aware when dealing with zoom meetings. The way they spoke about the students involved speaks volumes for their character

Currently studying a masters and the level of hand holding and baby sitting is incredible from what I've seen. There seems to be a prevailing attitude if someone tries there best then they will pass regardless of actual ability. Might sound harsh but the leaving cert is a better indicator from my experience in hiring.

The lecturers are a huge issue in this problem but the universities (from experience lecturing) seem to encourage lenient marking particularly within fee paying cohorts. This might be hard to hear but its happening in college and universities across the country.

I would agree regarding online learning being more difficult from both points of view BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If the 2 lecturers were in fact any good at their job, maybe they'd be able to give their knowledge of the subject to the students and they wouldn't be so poor during their presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Surprised by all the sympathy for the lecturers to be honest! Yes in the real world things are said about people that might not be kind and you wouldn't want them to hear, but if they're in the next room you make damn sure to close the door! By not ending the call these two left themselves wide open to the situation they now find themselves in and the embarrassment caused to GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

wily minx wrote: »
    Surprised by all the sympathy for the lecturers to be honest! Yes in the real world things are said about people that might not be kind and you wouldn't want them to hear, but if they're in the next room you make damn sure to close the door! By not ending the call these two left themselves wide open to the situation they now find themselves in and the embarrassment caused to GMIT.

I’d agree with you, and that’s all it is, a deeply embarrassing situation for the lecturers involved. I would think that’s punishment enough, along with a stern dressing down about their stupidity form their supervisors! It’s the talk of them needing to be sacked, won’t somebody think of the children mob that’s stupid, talk about pandering to snowflakes!

Absolute non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

wily minx wrote: »

Yes this would be my feeling also. I find the posts in this thread very disingenuous in regards their comments about there being "something wrong" with one of the students. Same posters would be fuming if it was someone they cared about.

I don't think these lecturers should be sacked, but they have a very, very hard job on their hands now. In no way can they demand respect or trust when they've been caught red handed so badly. Yes this childish sh1t talking happens anywhere, but when we're partaking in it how many of us are thinking at the back of our minds that we'd be fcuked if it was recorded or leaked? We might participate in it but we know it's wrong because we're aware of the potential consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The lecturers were guilty of nothing more than stupidity for leaving the session recording.

As an aside, can you share videos of people without their consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

If the 2 lecturers were in fact any good at their job, maybe they'd be able to give their knowledge of the subject to the students and they wouldn't be so poor during their presentations.

I thought they were very fair and honest. I Would like to interview in front of people like them, I was surprised at their honestly. Non story. Hope they turn the tables on the person who leaked it. Serious breach of GDPR among other things

So it's OK to see disabled people as WRONG?

Can't believe there are people out there defending the lecturers attitudes towards the students. They seem more interested in ridicule than genuine assistance and education. It smacks of a culture of antipathy towards students.

This is a discussion professional setting, not some chat in a pub. The way they maligne the students with casual ease says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Can't believe there are people out there defending the lecturers attitudes towards the students. They seem more interested in ridicule than genuine assistance and education. It smacks of a culture of antipathy towards students.

This is a discussion professional setting, not some chat in a pub. The way they maligne the students with casual ease says it all.

Sometimes the truth hurts, too often the wrong people are Selected for positions based on who they know. This was clearly not the case here. Great lesson for students to up their game.

Where do they say it's ok to see disabled people as wrong? They simply question that they checked to see if this individual was on a learning support system ,no where in the conversation do they make fun or reference disable people as wrong unless you see differently I'd love to see the quote where this happens...

• Advertisement

Where do they say it's ok to see disabled people as wrong? They simply question that they checked to see if this individual was on a learning support system ,no where in the conversation do they make fun or reference disable people as wrong unless you see differently I'd love to see the quote where this happens...

"Is there something WRONG with her?"

Advertisement