Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Out

Options
  • 13-12-2020 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi,

I've read several posts on here about what is required to get started in shooting, however some of the posts are quite old.

I used to go hunting with my uncle a number of years ago, and i'd like to start out in a pistol club first to see if I like it before advancing further.

I am still trying to figure out the process, as I'm hearing and reading lots of contradictory information.

One person said I need to:

1. Get 2 referrals from existing members into a pistol club
    2. Go through the health and safety training
    3. Apply to become a member
    4. When you are approved, you get a letter from the club
    5. Present this at the gun shop to get a 22, where they take down the serial number
    6. Process the required paperwork at the Garda station

I would have thought the forms and paperwork would be required to be processed well in advance of actually getting your first gun?

Someone else told me today that I need to get a riffle first before I can get a 22, so I am getting very confused.

A. Can anyone explain the steps and process please :-)

B. Can anyone recommend a pistol club in Dublin

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

You don't present anything at the gunshop, you simply walk in and buy what you like, rifle pistol or shotgun. They write down the details of the firearm on a slip and you take that and the rest of the gunclub stuff to the gardai to apply for the licence. You cannot take the gun out of the shop until you have a licence for that gun.

You can start with a pistol, nothing stopping you, but most start with a rifle or shotgun and get a bit of experience with those. Pistols are not an easy thing to shoot, and if were to jump straight in you might be disheartened.

If i were you i'd try everything before deciding to go for a pistol only. Watching clays turn to dust in the air is a lot more satisfying than a .22 calibre hole appearing in a sheet of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GooseB

The first thing I'd do is to find a club or two, pay them a visit and see if you'd like to join. The website "nasrpc.ie" (National Association of Sporting Rifle and Pistol Clubs)has a list of clubs on it - Unfortunately I can't access the site to give you a link directly to that specific page as the website has had a problem for at least the last 6 months and is only accessible about half of the time for some reason. I wouldn't get bogged down worrying too much about the processes of getting a firearm and the paperwork just yet. If you join a club you'll get to see what exactly you like or don't like and the members will advise on how to get your own gun.

For example, in my club you'd join first of all, then shoot every week using a club gun under supervision of the members or range officer. This will get you proficient in handling the firearm. At some stage do a firearm safety course organised by the club. This will also give you a fair idea on what type of gun you'd like for yourself - there are different diciplines, different sights allowed, etc. When you're happy enough and decide on what gun you'd like (used or new) then you can get an FCA1 form from a Garda station or download one here: https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/fca1-firearm-certificate-application-2020.pdf

To fill out the form you'll need a couple of character references, your family doc info, your club/range membership details and a few other bits. Download the form and have a read through it to get a better idea of what's involved. At this stage you'll also have picked out a gun from a shop (or private sale) and will know it's serial number and you'll enter this in the relevant section of the FCA1 form. Then it's a case of handing it in to the firearms officer in your nearest Garda station and wait for it to be processed. You'll receive a grant letter if successful, then your licence. Once you have the licence you can get your gun.
    Someone else told me today that I need to get a riffle first before I can get a 22, so I am getting very confused.

Assume you meant "before I can get a pistol"

As tudderone already said, this is not true. However a rifle is a safer introduction to your first gun. It's physical size (~1 metre long) and weight (3 to 4 kg) mean it's much harder to accidentally point in the wrong direction. Typically it'll be bolt action too so once you've fired your shot there's some physical effort required before the next cartridge is ready to fire. Compare that to a semi-auto pistol. It'll be about 200mm long, can be pointed 90 degrees from your intended target with the flick of a wrist and once fired is immediately ready to fire the next round. It's just an animal you have to be careful with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

GooseB wrote: »
    The website "nasrpc.ie" (National Association of Sporting Rifle and Pistol Clubs)has a list of clubs on it - Unfortunately I can't access the site to give you a link directly to that specific page as the website has had a problem for at least the last 6 months and is only accessible about half of the time for some reason.

/cough

/cough, cough.

:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Clubs in or near Dublin ? Courtlough, Ballinteer rifle club (BRC), East coast shooting club, Hilltop shooting club.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Great, thanks for all of this, it's really helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Posts 3, 4 and 5 of this thread will give you some information (regardless of the type of gun) on getting started. Take what is useful and ignore the rest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

If you are looking to get into pistol I'd recommend Nitsa just outside Newry. It's an hour from Dublin and it's on the motorway. They have a big selection of club guns, Glocks, revolvers, CZ, some 22 rifles as well. More importantly you can shot IPSC up there. http://nitsa.org.uk/
    friendly atmosphere and the only place you can shoot 9mms without owning one.

Advertisement