Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 11/12 (Joshua-Pulev, McKenna Brothers, Top Rank/PBC Cards in US)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good performance from AJ against a fighter who offered zilch. Joshua is terrified of getting clipped now. A killer would've finished that in 4. Sets up Wembley next summer against Fury though which is what everyone wants to see.

Also Sweet Caroline needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »

Also Sweet Caroline needs to stop.

Almost as bad as our ole, ole ole ole!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep! Sweet Caroline every night it’s just too easy! I’m not sure aj is that afraid but he’s always thinking of the next big payday too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I think aj will fight usyk next as mandatory so he can milk more cash for Eddie and then possibly fury in December

I would imaging fans being able to fill probably wembely will decide when Fury fights AJ, if that’s to far off an interim fight will probably happen alright.

Yea I agree and I have no problem with that. If one of them got beaten then oh well. This fight needs to happen in front of a full house. I can particularly see Fury taking a warm up fight rather than wait 18 months to fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I think aj will fight usyk next as mandatory so he can milk more cash for Eddie and then possibly fury in December

Big risk to take fighting someone as good as Usyk. The Usyk mandatory is the main reason I think Joshua-Fury happens next. Joshua is backed into a corner here. Both difficult style match ups for him but one is ten times more financially rewarding. He'll surely go straight into the Fury fight.

The Verdejo-Nakatani fight was eventful. Woah. Recommended
    Chris Colbert fight also worth a watch. Very impressed with him.

I would imaging fans being able to fill probably wembely will decide when Fury fights AJ, if that’s to far off an interim fight will probably happen alright.
    I think it'll be on in the middle east though. Too much money on offer for it not to be. Rematch in 2022 for Wembley maybe.

First fight likely Saudi Arabia!

walshb wrote: »
    First fight likely Saudi Arabia!

Yea I’ve seen a lot about that. Be an awful shame not to give local fans the opportunity to go to the fight.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Chris Colbert fight also worth a watch. Very impressed with him.

Yes. Good solid performance. Slick, rangy, varied..

From a boxing perspective with AJ, I think the fans are in a great position here..

We get AJ v Usyk or AJ v Fury next...

Either fight here is a top 5 wish across all weights..

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

From a boxing perspective with AJ, I think the fans are in a great position here..

We get AJ v Usyk or AJ v Fury next...

Either fight here is a top 5 wish across all weights..

And we'll end up getting Joshua vs Hughie. 89.99 PPV an unforgettable evening with Adam Smith and Jonnie Nelson.

Coneygree wrote: »
    And we'll end up getting Joshua vs Hughie. 89.99 PPV an unforgettable evening with Adam Smith and Jonnie Nelson.

Brilliant..

Anthony Crolla on the comeback trail as the chief support!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Anthony Crolla on the comeback trail as the chief support!!!

Crolla vs James Tennyson.
    Tennyson would knock out Tank Davies today but he's an equal match for Crolla

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think last night showed Joshua is still mindful of what Ruiz did to him. It did not really matter against a game but limited Pulev. However, it may against the likes of Uysk or Fury.

I think last night showed Joshua is still mindful of what Ruiz did to him. It did not really matter against a game but limited Pulev. However, it may against the likes of Uysk or Fury.

Yes, there did seem to be a vibe of uncertainty from AJ as regards getting tagged...

He was careful and cautious, and wanted to unload only when he felt it was very safe to do so..

Overall he showed a good game. He won all rounds and closed the show..

Took a few licks as well

I think that fight will give him a deal of confidence regarding being able to fight a bit..

I don’t think Usyk threatens AJ/scares him at all offensively..Pulev probably more offensively dangerous than Usyk..

I tell you..if they fight, I expect an easier win for AJ than he had on Saturday!

Yes, there did seem to be a vibe of uncertainty from AJ as regards getting tagged...

He was careful and cautious, and wanted to unload only when he felt it was very safe to do so..

Overall he showed a good game. He won all rounds and closed the show..

Took a few licks as well

I think that fight will give him a deal of confidence regarding being able to fight a bit..

I don’t think Usyk threatens AJ/scares him at all offensively..Pulev probably more offensively dangerous than Usyk..

I tell you..if they fight, I expect an easier win for AJ than he had on Saturday!

I think aj would demolish Usyk. If Fury fancies a warm up fight or has to fight Wilder again then I think Usyk is handy work for him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think aj would demolish Usyk. If Fury fancies a warm up fight or has to fight Wilder again then I think Usyk is handy work for him

for usyk to have any chance at a HW world title it needs not to be held by fury or joshua, they are just too big for him.

Yea I think so too. Guess we may as well see it though!

On Joshua taking a few licks as well... just imagining the damage Lewis would’ve done with the overhand right. I’d say ko round 2/3

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea I think so too. Guess we may as well see it though!

On Joshua taking a few licks as well... just imagining the damage Lewis would’ve done with the overhand right. I’d say ko round 2/3

Yes. A 240 lbs mid to late 90s Lewis is probably the worst match for AJ, Fury and Wilder..

He knocks all three out. Fury, being cuter and bigger and more slippy than the other two may see him make more a go of it..but once Lewis finds the range and lands, all three are done for!

I don’t think any of them land a McCall or Rahman type power shot...

Cyrus wrote: »
    for usyk to have any chance at a HW world title it needs not to be held by fury or joshua, they are just too big for him.

Usyk is taller than Andy Ruiz with a longer reach tbf. Also far more difficult to hit.

Usyk is taller than Andy Ruiz with a longer reach tbf. Also far more difficult to hit.

Not at all seeing this being hard to hit, even if using Ruiz as a comparison..

Add in that his own offence is likely not going to intimidate and scare AJ, allowing AJ more confidence, time and precision to unload..

Usyk at 215 lbs gets hit clean by 240+ lbs AJ, he is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep, i mean size isnt everything, mike was 5 10

he isnt a natural heavy weight tho and doesnt carry the power to get their respect.

Not at all seeing this being hard to hit, even if using Ruiz as a comparison..

Add in that his own offence is likely not going to intimidate and scare AJ, allowing AJ more confidence, time and precision to unload..

Usyk at 215 lbs gets hit clean by 240+ lbs AJ, he is gone!

Gassiev hardly touched him for 12 rounds bar one good shot in the 4th I think. Put Usyk in with a dangerous puncher and he'll box extremely elusive on the back foot.

AJ looks to me like he'll be intimated by getting caught by anyone at the moment. Ruiz isn't a big puncher by heavyweight standards and look what happened when Joshua have him no respect. Usyk has more than enough power to hurt Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Usually I’d agree here. But something about Pulev showed a resiliency and clarity..I think the ref saw this in his eyes..Pulev was very lucid in round 3, even when taking shots..

Actually I have changed my mind...you are right.

Pulev was very tough.

Gassiev hardly touched him for 12 rounds bar one good shot in the 4th I think. Put Usyk in with a dangerous puncher and he'll box extremely elusive on the back foot.

AJ looks to me like he'll be intimated by getting caught by anyone at the moment. Ruiz isn't a big puncher by heavyweight standards and look what happened when Joshua have him no respect. Usyk has more than enough power to hurt Joshua.

Gassiev and AJ

Poles apart...

AJ will get to Usyk....

Gassiev and AJ

Poles apart...

AJ will get to Usyk....

AJ couldn't get to Joseph Parker. It's no given. Hopefully we'll see.

AJ couldn't get to Joseph Parker. It's no given. Hopefully we'll see.

But you’re touting an Usyk win..

For a win, I assume he needs to actually try to win..Box, fight, commit...

Parker was only trying to survive. And he lost clearly...

• Advertisement

But you’re touting an Usyk win..

For a win, I assume he needs to actually try to win..Box, fight, commit...

Parker was only trying to survive. And he lost clearly...

He lost clearly but I still gave Parker 4 rounds I think. He wasn't given the chance to work inside by the ref and just got outjabbed on the outside with no other plan B. Usyk is a far more layered boxer than Parker is in fairness and can go 12 hard rounds which Parker can't. He's levels above him.

I just think it's a far more intriguing/competitive fight than what's being made out. Not a simple case of Joshua banging out one of the best cruiserweights of all time when he feels like it. Will be a tough gruelling fight for Joshua if he's to win it I think.

Advertisement