Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 11/12 (Joshua-Pulev, McKenna Brothers, Top Rank/PBC Cards in US)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

If I was pushed id favor AJ to beat Wilder, at least AJ has some skills to him, he'd be cautious, use the jab and reach, Wilder will only have one plan, land a haymaker, which is possible, he'll be erratic and all over the place looping in shots.

Interesting matchups...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    I think Fury’s best bet is to be in AJs face and super aggressive and busy. Forcing back, lying on him, mauling him and draining his engine..smothering AJs work.

But: if he gets hit clean and hard on the way in, or due to him not pressing AJ, he is done for!!

Exactly How he fought against wilder in the 2nd fight: big, strong, fit and powerful. That would prove impossible for AJ IMO.
    He's with Kronk now so that's how they want him to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I disagree. WK blasted Pulev out of there very easily.

That said Tyson just won't take those punches from AJ in the first place. and I am certain Fury hits a hell of a lot harder than Pulev. AJ would be very cautious against Tyson. I see Tyson bullying him and tiring him out pretty quickly.

Fury will go in with a game plan, I do think Fury outboxes him and I think he will be able to avoid taking heavy damage of AJ, I just think if he does happen to take damage he wont withstand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly How he fought against wilder in the 2nd fight: big, strong, fit and powerful. That would prove impossible for AJ IMO.
    He's with Kronk now so that's how they want him to fight.

But the caveat: Wilder landed fook all in those rounds to stop Fury..

I think AJ will. And I also think that in close, AJ has the capability that Wilder had not, the capability to go to work properly and actually tag Fury..

I also think AJ can rough Fury up far more than Wilder could/can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Good analogy..

But Fury has been tagged clean and badly hurt..

AJs reach, height, and technical delivery are very dangerous traits here for Fury. He has the range and power to get right through Fury..

Tbf, Fury is taller and with a longer reach than Joshua and I'd say both in shape for the fight, they'd weigh in very similar (Joshua will weigh in heavier than his last few fights) but Fury is a lot better in the holding game and will wear Joshua down, and has better jab and movement imo. Joshua has power of course but I think Fury makes it way too awkward for him to hit it often enough. I'd have Fury on decision.

Wilder is probably 50/50 as both have the power to knock each other out and both can be hit.

Usyk/Povetkin/Whyte are probably the safest money fights for Joshua, and whilst he could lose all 3 of them, it'd be unexpected, and they'll draw enough money that I'd be expecting Hearn to do those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought the ref was poor. Could have stopped it in the third.

And then in the 9th he allowed Pulev to carry on after the first knockdown in the round. That was unnecessary.

On the Usyk fight:

I think tonight cemented my view that Usyk’s chances to best AJ are very slim.

AJ is a big big rangey man...

Usyk is not a puncher. Has 0 physical advantages..

AJs reach and jab alone will cause Usyk serious problems..

And getting tagged clean by a man 30 lbs heavier will see Usyk simply in spoiler/runner/survival mode..

ebbsy wrote: »

And then in the 9th he allowed Pulev to carry on after the first knockdown in the round. That was unnecessary.

Usually I’d agree here. But something about Pulev showed a resiliency and clarity..I think the ref saw this in his eyes..Pulev was very lucid in round 3, even when taking shots..

On the Usyk fight:

AJ is a big big rangey man...

Usyk is not a puncher. Has 0 physical advantages..

AJs reach and jab alone will cause Usyk serious problems..

And getting tagged clean by a man 30 lbs heavier will see Usyk simply in spoiler/runner/survival mode..

Probably why it'd be made tbf. He's a big name and brings money

titan18 wrote: »
    Probably why it'd be made tbf. He's a big name and brings money

And he is mandatory for WBO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Style wise Pulev is nothing like Fury..

One thing is certain: Fury won’t take AJs power..

So, he either avoids it or he loses via KO!

You say this every Fury fight. He actually got up after a bigger hitter in Wilder caught him flush.

Hard to take much from these match ups like tonight. Pulev has always been game but limited and overmatched against the big men at HW.

HW boxing today is sometimes skin to Middleweights fighting a cruiserweight.

And I don't mean the menacing explosive kind of middleweight either. That should have been a mismatch and fact it wasn't says a lot about Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

But the caveat: Wilder landed fook all in those rounds to stop Fury..

I think AJ will. And I also think that in close, AJ has the capability that Wilder had not, the capability to go to work properly and actually tag Fury..

I also think AJ can rough Fury up far more than Wilder could/can.

Wilder landed clean at least twice on fury early on in the second fight , fury walked through it .

I’d agree Joshua will be stronger inside than wilder.

I’m still convinced fury will beat Joshua and nothing I saw tonight changes that but it was a good win for Joshua and pulev must have a granite chin !

Tbf, Fury is taller and with a longer reach than Joshua and I'd say both in shape for the fight, they'd weigh in very similar

You'll never see Fury weighing less than 265-270 ever again.

Not if big John has anything to say !

I’d imagine fury will be around a stone heavier than Joshua when they meet.

And he is mandatory for WBO!

I forgot that tbf. He just seems like a Hearn matchup. Much easier to sell him as a threat too Vs guys like Pulev or the first Ruiz fight. He's a known name to more casual fans and has a strong record.

A Povetkin rematch could work too after he beat Whyte, as could a Whyte or Joyce fight if they want do a batlle of British guys.

On the Usyk fight:

No-one ants to see AJ vs Usyk.
    The money is AJ vs Fury, Next or never,

I reckon Joshua would weigh in late 250s tbh. Perhaps early but think he'd definitely be in that range rather than the low 240s he is now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Good performance from Joshua against a guy tailor made for him. Thought he managed his gas tank better than usual not completely blowing his load early on. Was patient after that third round and waited for the KO to come late on. Still though, Fury or Usyk won't be standing in front of him letting him land three uppercuts in a row. They are extremely different fights. One thing I really noticed tonight was how weak Joshua was in the clinch. Don't think he's as physically strong as I once thought. Think the current come forward version of Fury will be licking his chops at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blanco100 wrote:
    And I don't mean the menacing explosive kind of middleweight either. That should have been a mismatch and fact it wasn't says a lot about Joshua.
    Joshua won every round up until he finished him. It was a mismatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Matt Korobov having to retire on his stool after four rounds. Was boxing so well but his body gave in again. Probably time for him to retire. One of those really good fighters that just got no luck.

• Advertisement

The Verdejo-Nakatani fight was eventful. Woah. Recommended

Good scrap. Taken out with a jab at the end, was Verdejo. And ahead on Rte cards..

Blanco100 wrote: »
    You say this every Fury fight. He actually got up after a bigger hitter in Wilder caught him flush.

Hard to take much from these match ups like tonight. Pulev has always been game but limited and overmatched against the big men at HW.

HW boxing today is sometimes skin to Middleweights fighting a cruiserweight.

I said it vs Wilder...

And we all thought Wlad would KO Fury...

So, just AJ left to give me a clean sweep here!

No-one ants to see AJ vs Usyk.
    The money is AJ vs Fury, Next or never,

I want to see it, albeit, not more than I want to see AJ-Fury..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

ebbsy wrote: »

The 4th-8th rounds showed that the ref was right not to stop it in the third. Pulev looked ok in those rounds, he was fading but not in major trouble until the ninth.

I reckon Joshua would weigh in late 250s tbh. Perhaps early but think he'd definitely be in that range rather than the low 240s he is now

AJ weigh in high 250s vs.Fury?

I don’t think so..

AJ 243-248 and Fury 254-259

AJ weigh in high 250s vs.Fury?

I don’t think so..

AJ 243-248 and Fury 254-259

Fury will be a stone heavier than that

Cyrus wrote: »
    Fury will be a stone heavier than that

As in close to 270?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Waking up to some very surprising contributions. Firstly I was very impressed by aj last night. I said way back that we’d know more about him by how he faced up vs Pulev. Round 1 both were careful, 2/3 Joshua gained an advantage and then battered Pulev who was lucky not to be waved off. He eased off needlessly in my opinion but was always in control. Pulev was limited to the overhand right/hook and he stopped throwing the left that was working ok for him. He was very spirited but was utterly outmatched. When his legs tired Joshua got him out of there. I don’t think you can criticise him much.

On the aj vs Fury match I don’t think you can say he has less of a chance against Fury on last night’s showing. I see routes to victory for both. Fury is my favourite very slightly. I think the height and reach and extra stone (at least) all favour him. I think he has a better gas tank as well. I think Joshua has more power and better combos and on the inside he really goes after the body and Fury is still vulnerable there. Chins are quite similar so I think the fight comes to Fury’s ability to keep it long vs Aj trying to get to work inside and get the combos off. Super fight with clashing styles. For Fury too I think it’s important to mention that while he was excellent against Wilder last day out he’s been bang average often enough too, I think you know what you get from aj better. Very hard fight to call I have a wafer thin advantage for Fury but he needs to keep aj off him which is a huge test.

On aj wilder I think aj all day long. Wilder has a jab that can be effective enough and while he could do nothing with Fury I think it would enable him to hang in with aj. But I think aj bullies him close up and when he gets him into anything resembling trouble he will fire enough to ko him and I say early. Wilder does of course always have the wild swing chance and there’s a good argument to say that he can find aj.

As in close to 270?

Yes exactly

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Yes exactly

Yes. I suppose so..

His fight weights since his return have fluctuated...

A 270 lbs Fury is very possible...

Advertisement