Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Srfcsean

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    So an increase of over 2+ million packages getting banged out weekly with Christmas Casuals / Staff not being hired in the same numbers as previous years because they can't have everyone on top of each other with the social distancing rules in place because of COVID doesn't count?? Hmmmm

Imagine the amount of staff were hired as usual and then they get an outbreak in the mail centers, they'd have no staff and be shut down.

And that's just one COVID "excuse" as you say. Nobody would be getting anything.

People paid For a service that there not getting as far as I can see, the government told us to shop online we do and now they can’t deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2 items now from amazon and both arrived early. Something due next week arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ronda1

Waiting for a parcel that left the US on November 19th and hasn't arrived in Ireland yet. Seriously slow.

Have u had any joy?

Is anybody else having trouble with USPS packages not updating on an post system but landing in Dublin airport?? I know they have landed as past parcels I have gotten have showed up still without tracking updating on an post side?? Seriously seriously slow nearly 3 weeks waiting since it landed absolute joke

Mod - I moved your post here as it’s more relevant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Due to the pandemic there are very few flights with capacity from the US. USPS can only update their last part to departure airport, so it may not have left the States yet., or only flown in the last day or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I must have been lucky. I bought a new phone off of ebay from a crowd in California. Bought it on the 30th of November and had it in my hand yesterday. USPS from California to Kentucky, DHL from there to Shannon.

My package posted in Australia 10th November arrived in Ireland 10 December as per aus post.
    No update as of yet from an post whether they have it or not.
    Wonder will there be big delays on this?
    All my amazon post has arrived in less than 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭smurfette2212

Ronda1 wrote: »
    Is anybody else having trouble with USPS packages not updating on an post system but landing in Dublin airport?? I know they have landed as past parcels I have gotten have showed up still without tracking updating on an post side?? Seriously seriously slow nearly 3 weeks waiting since it landed absolute joke

Mod - I moved your post here as it’s more relevant.

Yep! My parcel was last scanner leaving New York and then delivered to me maybe a week later. Nothing on the tracking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I must have been lucky. I bought a new phone off of ebay from a crowd in California. Bought it on the 30th of November and had it in my hand yesterday. USPS from California to Kentucky, DHL from there to Shannon.

Possibly they have come to a recent agreement with DHL.
    Or the sender opted for a higher cost service

DHL operate their own cargo aircraft and as such are not affected by the huge drop in passenger flights which is what most postal services use to move parcels between countries that are not connected by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    So an increase of over 2+ million packages getting banged out weekly with Christmas Casuals / Staff not being hired in the same numbers as previous years because they can't have everyone on top of each other with the social distancing rules in place because of COVID doesn't count?? Hmmmm

Imagine the amount of staff were hired as usual and then they get an outbreak in the mail centers, they'd have no staff and be shut down.

And that's just one COVID "excuse" as you say. Nobody would be getting anything.

As a postie I gotta admit I'm fed up with people complaining about us at this stage,we have been up the walls doing 6 day weeks for ages, frontline ..house to house, village to village.. treble the workload ,no xtra help , nobody allowed to be trained in a area because two to a van not allowed...there are huge backlogs in all delivery services worldwide because of this,.. Christmas never creeps up on anyone .. nobody could predict lockdowns and explosion of parcels ordered..with no xtra workers allowed to help us out. I cant fit all the parcels in my van most days,have to get them dropped out to me and go over already covered ground again.

Its work technically I don't have to do as it's overtime, which the taxman fleeces me for,but if I don't people won't get their post/parcels because there isn't anyone else available to do it.

We are wrecked,stressed,and will probably sleep over the few days off at Xmas.. exhausted. Its no joke.

Pitch Dark going to work and pitch dark coming home .

Merry Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As a postie I gotta admit I'm fed up with people complaining about us at this stage,we have been up the walls doing 6 day weeks for ages, frontline ..house to house, village to village.. treble the workload ,no xtra help , nobody allowed to be trained in a area because two to a van not allowed...there are huge backlogs in all delivery services worldwide because of this,.. Christmas never creeps up on anyone .. nobody could predict lockdowns and explosion of parcels ordered..with no xtra workers allowed to help us out. I cant fit all the parcels in my van most days,have to get them dropped out to me and go over already covered ground again.

Its work technically I don't have to do as it's overtime, which the taxman fleeces me for,but if I don't people won't get their post/parcels because there isn't anyone else available to do it.

We are wrecked,stressed,and will probably sleep over the few days off at Xmas.. exhausted. Its no joke.

Merry Christmas.

No one is blaming any postman out delivering mail!

It is however absurd to believe that An Post management had no idea that they would get the current volumes.

Then why would you need to train anyone if An Post had accepted Eircodes? There is no need to have a book with the names of the customers on your route if you can just look up the eircode on a mobile device.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I made an order from Decathlon's site.

An Post delivering it, and emailed me with a generic "we have your parcel and aim to deliver it within 3 working days" email. I checked the tracking number on it:

04 December 2020, 05:56 - We have your post in DUBLIN DEPOT, DUBLIN

13 December 2020, 15:17 - Your delivery has been sorted in PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12

So it's been sitting in Dublin for about 9 days, and today it's been moved to Park West. Not sure how long it'll sit there. I'm in no panic or rush on it whatsoever (not a Xmas gift) but that's the longest delay I've ever experienced with An Post. They must be absolutely snowed under.

I'm very surprised they haven't started an ad campaign to encourage people to change to get their deliveries sent to their local depot and collect them themselves, as a means to speed things up a bit, rather than waiting on An Post delivering to their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'm in Spain and waiting for a package that was posted mid November from Ireland, but that could well be the fault of the Spanish post.

It is however absurd to believe that An Post management had no idea that they would get the current volumes.

Then why would you need to train anyone if An Post had accepted Eircodes? There is no need to have a book with the names of the customers on your route if you can just look up the eircode on a mobile device.

completely agree! With most retail closed in this country for the guts of 9 months and even with the latest Level 5 restrictions going on for 6 weeks how did An Post not realise this Christmas would be absolutely mental?

We have been urged by our Taoiseach and Tony Holohan throughout the entire Covid pandemic to shop online!!! How was this Christmas surge in postal deliveries not predicted by management in An Post, what on earth were they doing? The entire country has been shopping online for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

You have no clue what your talking about regarding deliveries so it's pointless talking to you about it. Eircodes are not sequential.. ask any courier..cris crossing every townland in the country because they don't know their customers names ,so they cant put the parcels in order in their vans.

An post use eircodes if the address isn't complete,or missing entirely,and isn't known to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Eircodes are useful for automatic sorting machines and for unknown addresses, but for a normal postal route, the person doing the deliveries is going to be looking at the top two lines of the address.

As for the delays, I am really not seeing anything that bad in Cork. I had packages delivered from various Irish retailers over the last few days with only minor delays and some overnight. Also they're pulling out all the stops and getting deliveries out even today, Sunday.

I think we're grossly underestimating the impact of the pandemic on retail and online shopping. They're not just a little bit beyond their maximum capacity, they're way over it. You can plan for something like this to some degree, but no company can reorganise itself to process 300% its normal volumes at short notice and you're really talking about short notice if you're saying a few months.

They'd need extra staff (not that complicated except for the training / social distancing etc), extra vehicles (can be hired to some degree), extra sorting machines (long delivery time probably would need to be ordered a year in advance and take considerable planning) and all of this for a situation that may resolve by mid 2021 and never repeat, which would leave them with huge amounts of surplus resources.

There's an unprecedented global pandemic. If your mail takes a bit longer, frankly: be patient and get over it.

I've no involvement with An Post or any of the other delivery companies, but I massively appreciate the job that front line staff in logistics, retail, warehousing and all of those areas that have kept us in food, clothes and now Christmas presents have done. They've kept the economy going through what has been an absolutely awful year.

If a package misses Xmas it misses Xmas. Hopefully we won't see another year like 2020 again, but I think we need to just accept that we are going through some extremely strange times and just enjoy what we can enjoy this year and stop freaking out over what are in reality relatively minor issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

My mother’s Christmas CDs are sitting in the Portlaosie sorting centre since the 7th (after sitting in Galway for most of a week before that).

I get there is delays but how can it not have moved after a week when things posted after it have arrived.

I contacted An Post to say that logic suggests the package has been overlooked or mislaid but I just get “different things cause delay for one, not for another”.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Funnily enough the very large parcels I had come into the UK addresspal in Hatfield (bicycle) all got delivered to me days after being in Hatfield but the smaller stuff like a pair of shoes that arrived a week earlier to hatfield I am still waiting on and seem stuck in Dublin. They probably prioritize big parcels just to get them out of the way and make room , the smaller the item maybe the later you can expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Merry Christmas.

Thanks for all the hard work, no complaints from me.
    Take care, much appreciation for you and your fellow posties:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Posted medium package registered post 8th Dec for delivery in Ireland.. No trackin visibility yet called to post off Saturday. was told by staff member... Oh there is huge delays without even checkin system for package. So nearly one week later it looks like it still in my local post office.. Crazy service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Funnily enough the very large parcels I had come into the UK addresspal in Hatfield (bicycle) all got delivered to me days after being in Hatfield but the smaller stuff like a pair of shoes that arrived a week earlier to hatfield I am still waiting on and seem stuck in Dublin. They probably prioritize big parcels just to get them out of the way and make room , the smaller the item maybe the later you can expect it.

My mother is listening to her CDs at the moment, thank goodness.

It jumped from Portlaosie to being out for delivery.

04 December 2020, 05:56 - We have your post in DUBLIN DEPOT, DUBLIN

13 December 2020, 15:17 - Your delivery has been sorted in PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12

This arrived today, so presumably they're working with (roughly speaking) a 9 day delay at the moment?

Must be a horrible time to work for An Post.

When this arrived today, the post man had the van reversed up to my house with the rear doors open wide, and even though it was being delivered at 4pm-ish, the van looked like it was still packed to the gills.

Yep! My parcel was last scanner leaving New York and then delivered to me maybe a week later. Nothing on the tracking though.

Was this recent ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

small parcel posted from dublin on 1st dec, still not arrived to cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheBarnacle

I'm in the same position. Ordered from UK and package in North Dublin depot since Dec 2nd. I was starting to worry but glad to know it's not an issue with my package specifically.

An Post tracker says my package was delivered on Dec 13th but I never received anything. Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dar2054

How long are people waiting for Amazon orders to be delivered by AnPost to Dublin or Cork?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

dar2054 wrote: »
    How long are people waiting for Amazon orders to be delivered by AnPost to Dublin or Cork?

Some of mine Dublin, have been 1-3 days, was waiting 6 days on one and it must be lost, just got refund notification from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Got on to them on live chat yesterday as the last update I had was that it had been sorted at a hub on 4th Dec. They told me it's now at the DC for DUNSHAUGHLIN and should be delivered in next few days. No option to pick it up from the DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 YMSB89

Placed an order from a company in the UK and unfortunately the courier service is Hermes :( - the last update on their tracking system is the 5th of December saying ‘we’ve got your parcel’. This is an Xmas present and very worried at this stage it’s not going to arrive. They are impossible to get through to. Any advice on what I should do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭smurfette2212

Ronda1 wrote: »
    Was this recent ??

Sorry, I had the dates in a previous post. Yep. End of November / beginning of December - it left JFK on maybe the 4th of December.

Advertisement