Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭user302243

I'm in the same position. Ordered from UK and package in North Dublin depot since Dec 2nd. I was starting to worry but glad to know it's not an issue with my package specifically.

That depot in particular seems to be struggling based on my experience. Most of my parcels have had a one day delay. Except two going through Dublin North which have been sitting there for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

recyclebin wrote: »
    To counter the Amazon stories, I've three or four Amazon deliveries showing as delivered on the tracker but no sign of them. They were supposed to be going to the parcel lockers in Castlebar.

Your best to send them to the Antrim PM address if your using Amazon, I use that locker multiple times a week and will have it within 3 days from dispatch in the locker

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

It was an international postal agreement. I don't blame China for taking advantage of it. I do blame An Post management for throwing their toys out of the pram and not sorting it. They gained nothing as it all had to be delivered in the end.

It's hardly An post throwing their toys out of the pram, it's more a case of them looking at the situation and asking "why would we work for basically nothing when there is all this better paying business sitting there needing to be done"..

An it's not just An Post, one of the Donald's pet projects was tearing up the postal agreement so USPS stopped getting stiffed by the deal.. China Post was paying less to deliver a package(and customs Clearance) than domestic US customers were paying for the same service.. It was basically china dumping in a different format at the expense of western Post offices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

whiterebel wrote: »
    Similarly, just because your company is getting post/parcels through doesn't mean everyone's is. Vast majority on here seem to show that once Amazon arrives it will be a max of 3 days. Domestic seems to be taking far longer in a lot of cases.

We send about 1,000 parcels a week. We get daily csv reports. 90% are delivered within 3 days, almost all within 5 days and a few seem to take ages for no particular reason.

Well those of us that have bought stuff from Amazon and who have bought stuff from other UK suppliers that deliver with An Post would totally disagree with you. Amazon stuff has been delivered in two days or less once its got to Dublin other companies stuff has just sat in Dublin.

You are also talking rubbish about "your delivery has been sorted" as my car parts from Micksgarage sat in Park West for nearly a week after they reached that point in the system.

Amazon is domestic parcels.

You have two scans.

"we have your delivery in Parkwest (or Merrywell)"
    And
    "your delivery has been sorted"

The second one is sent after it has finished being sorted and in the relevant cage for sending out to a local dsu. It can sit in a local dsu for a couple of days and gets scanned when put on the delivery route for that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Darc19 wrote: »
    Amazon is domestic parcels.

You have two scans.

"we have your delivery in Parkwest (or Merrywell)"
    And
    "your delivery has been sorted"

The second one is sent after it has finished being sorted and in the relevant cage for sending out to a local dsu. It can sit in a local dsu for a couple of days and gets scanned when put on the delivery route for that day.

Yep thats right two scans in Parkwest then nothing for a week.

I didn't think the DSU were allowed to hold anything. afaik the DSU has to clear everything the day it comes in? Now I might not fully understand what a DSU is but my postman tells me that they are not allowed to leave the depot until its empty.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Which means it is probably in your local delivery office or a holding warehouse (finglas-- former jmob bread factory, portlaoise or little island) as the local office works through their parcels.

I'm just passing on info that I have that we get from an. No one has to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

A week ago I purchased and article online from a shop in Dublin. Got a confirmation email last Sunday to say it was dispatched. Still no sign.

Which means it is probably in your local delivery office or a holding warehouse (finglas-- former jmob bread factory, portlaoise or little island) as the local office works through their parcels.

I'm just passing on info that I have that we get from an. No one has to accept it.

The problem I have is the "holding warehouse".

Once stuff gets warehoused you don't know if its first in first out or if first in gets left at the back of the warehouse and is the last out?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Srfcsean

Looks like a complete **** show from an post they had since March to sort out stuff knowing all shops were shut , of course everyone was gonna go online , they need put up messages on there site saying they have backlogs of over a week simple as that , but it’s a complete **** show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

I didn't think the DSU were allowed to hold anything. afaik the DSU has to clear everything the day it comes in? Now I might not fully understand what a DSU is but my postman tells me that they are not allowed to leave the depot until its empty.
    Under normal circumstances the DSU would be cleared every night, but with the volume of stuff going through at the moment it's not possible to clear the DSU every night. That's with extra night staff and everyone doing overtime. Covid restrictions means less casual staff employed this year.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances the DSU would be cleared every night, but with the volume of stuff going through at the moment it's not possible to clear the DSU every night. That's with extra night staff and everyone doing overtime. Covid restrictions means less casual staff employed this year.

All I can say is that my local postman told me today that they have to clear the DSU and always do there is no option at his DSU not to deliver stuff that day once its got that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

All I can say is that my local postman told me today that they have to clear the DSU and always do there is no option at his DSU not to deliver stuff that day once its got that far.

That applies to stuff sorted to his/her duty. Some small DSU's might clear what they have on a nightly basis, but the larger city one's not a hope.
    Sorting has to finish by a certain time so the early shift of posties can get out before the second shift start to allow for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Champ wrote: »
    Hi,

I've an order from Amazon which is been delivered by An Post.

Been delivered in theory... according to the tracking (An Post own system) it was received by An Post in Dublin and was sorted and that was the last update since the 2nd of December.

Amazon themselves have said if it doesn't arrive today I can claim a refund.

How's everyone else doing in terms of An Post deliveries?
    Should I write this off or still hold out some hope?

My package was just delivered today.

Looks like the backlog is at least moving.
    Good luck to those still waiting on their deliveries.

Srfcsean wrote: »
    Looks like a complete **** show from an post they had since March to sort out stuff knowing all shops were shut , of course everyone was gonna go online , they need put up messages on there site saying they have backlogs of over a week simple as that , but it’s a complete **** show

April they were doing about 1.2m/week.

Last black Friday they did 1.3m for the week

No one could forecast the 3.5m they did last week.

They have capacity of 3.2m because they DID invest in technology (two fully automated centres)

April they were doing about 1.2m/week.

Last black Friday they did 1.3m for the week

No one could forecast the 3.5m they did last week.

They have capacity of 3.2m because they DID invest in technology (two fully automated centres)

They new this was coming and weren’t ready for it , they need tell people there’s back logs instead of the usual cop out answer for everything now a days covid 🀦🀦restrictions , they need put up on there site they have backlogs Of over 10 days and let people no

They new this was coming and weren’t ready for it , they need tell people there’s back logs instead of the usual cop out answer for everything now a days covid 🀦🀦restrictions , they need put up on there site they have backlogs Of over 10 days and let people no

They've been shouting about the backlog since early Nov.

It's been in every paper, it's been mentioned here, it's been on radio, its been on TV.

Anyone who has proper customer engagement have added information to their websites or informed their customers.

You need to be under a rock not to have read their notices somewhere

I even passed on details of their notifications here. I think a mod even stickied it.

It's been in every paper, it's been mentioned here, it's been on radio, its been on TV.

Anyone who has proper customer engagement have added information to their websites or informed their customers.

I even passed on details of their notifications here. I think a mod even stickied it.

We’ve all seen man 😂😂 exactly my point they new it was coming and use covid as an answer , covid no covid it was happening either way , my point is stop using covid as an excuse and actually tell people there’s back logs instead of throwing figures at people

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think they sent it out to big clients then, but I think the first public announcement was last week, as far as I remember.

I think they sent it out to big clients then, but I think the first public announcement was last week, as far as I remember.

Definitely was in the media around 10th Nov and again before black Friday where they gave predictions of 3m expected parcels (it was 3.5m)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

A message was appearing on the An Post homepage at least since the 3rd of November saying "We’ll be delivering record numbers of parcels this week, more than ever before. We have the biggest delivery team in Ireland and they are working extremely hard to get your parcels to you. But don’t worry, we will deliver your item as quickly as we can."

The 11th of November - https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-christmas-deliveries-5262276-Nov2020/ 'Please bear with us': Huge spike in parcel volumes causing delays as Level 5 online shopping booms

12th of November: https://www.newstalk.com/news/an-post-warns-of-potential-delays-as-parcel-volumes-grow-by-130-1104587

12th of November: An Post opens second Dublin e-commerce processing centre
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1112/1177651-new-an-post-processing-centre/

An Post expects to deliver more than 3.3 million parcels per week in 'busiest ever' fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Parcl due next wednesday arrived this mornig. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Champ wrote: »
    My package was just delivered today.

Looks like the backlog is at least moving.
    Good luck to those still waiting on their deliveries.

Mine was the exact same scenario as yours but mine arrived to An Post on the 4th. Hopefully it means I'll get my delivery in the next few days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I didn't see it on their website, probably because I go straight into tracking, and I don't read/listen to the others, so that explains it. I put the thread up from Darc19 as it was the first official statement I was aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

7 day parcel delivery in urban areas. 6 day delivery all areas.

Does that 6 day delivery apply for all post or only commercial parcels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Waiting for an order which left Germany on 1st of December. It hasn’t been scanned by An Post yet. I really hope it’s just delayed and not lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Waiting for an order which left Germany on 1st of December. It hasn’t been scanned by An Post yet. I really hope it’s just delayed and not lost!

Post to and from Germany takes 2 weeks + at the moment. Don't panic just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

We’ve all seen man ���� exactly my point they new it was coming and use covid as an answer , covid no covid it was happening either way , my point is stop using covid as an excuse and actually tell people there’s back logs instead of throwing figures at people

So an increase of over 2+ million packages getting banged out weekly with Christmas Casuals / Staff not being hired in the same numbers as previous years because they can't have everyone on top of each other with the social distancing rules in place because of COVID doesn't count?? Hmmmm

Imagine the amount of staff were hired as usual and then they get an outbreak in the mail centers, they'd have no staff and be shut down.

And that's just one COVID "excuse" as you say. Nobody would be getting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

bocaman wrote: »
    A week ago I purchased and article online from a shop in Dublin. Got a confirmation email last Sunday to say it was dispatched. Still no sign.
    waiting on something dispatched on Monday.
    easily a week dealy for sandard post things now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Are you sure it has left - you can expect a week or two sitting on Koln if its DHL

Advertisement