Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 11/12 (Joshua-Pulev, McKenna Brothers, Top Rank/PBC Cards in US)

Options
  • 11-12-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Few cards of interest this weekend.

Joshua-Pulev the standout. Think Pulev is made to order for Joshua tbh and should make Joshua look good. The Joshua of old would stop him early, will be interesting to see if the new safety first Joshua turns up instead. Think he needs a statement KO to get hype going for a Fury fight. Undercard is utter rubbish. Some neck from Hearn to put Hughie and Okolie on the one undercard.

Both McKenna brothers fighting tonight (Friday) on Channel 5. Think it's only delayed coverage unfortunately but good to see them get some terrestrial TV airtime. Eggington v Theopane main event should be watchable.

Rising names Shakur Stevenson, Chris Colbert and Edgar Berlanga all out in the States in what look like straightforward fights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

What time is the Channel 5 programme starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Eggington - Theopane started now.

Eggington just way too big here. Theopane completely outgunned and the legs aren't what they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Target practice

Aaron McKenna looked very good there. Granted against a punchbag but was impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Aaron McKenna looked very good there. Granted against a punchbag but was impressed.

Great punch variety, power and fluidity,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The fella Stephen was up against looked a wily well travelled character

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very impressed by Aaron McKenna.

Irrespective of the opponent, it was the way he boxed. Everything off a fast, snappy, consistent jab, beautiful punch variety, fluid... just impressive all-round.

Can't say the same for Steven. Maybe he was just trying too hard to get an opponent who presented no threat out of there, but he struck me as a fella who could end up being in 'good fights' ie. lands and takes plenty of punches. I suppose he's only starting off yet, but he needs work.

This Marku fella they've been hyping up is bang average. Awful one paced.

Bakole v Kuzmin next. Probably the only undercard fight worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bakole v Kuzmin next. Probably the only undercard fight worth watching.

I'm quite unimpressed by it if I'm honest.
    Based off of the fight a few weeks ago, I think Joyce would beat these two comfortably.

It's no wonder Hunter did so.
    When you look at these two who Hunter beat with ease, and the fact Hunter drew with Povetkin before he starched Whyte, it makes you think how unlucky Hunter has been not to be in bigger fights since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Right Walshie here I am. What you make of this fight? Neither of these lads going to make many waves but they’re a decent match themselves. I think Kuzmin could do with an additional 2 rounds. Think Bakole will win on points.

I thought Kuzmin would come out in the 9th and throw everything at it. He was pedestrian there for a lot of that round. Needs the ko and I can’t see it.

Big Ears wrote: »
    I'm quite unimpressed by it if I'm honest.
    Based off of the fight a few weeks ago, I think Joyce would beat these two comfortably.

It's no wonder Hunter did so.
    When you look at these two who Hunter beat with ease, and the fact Hunter drew with Povetkin before he starched Whyte, it makes you think how unlucky Hunter has been not to be in bigger fights since then.
    Yeah neither are world beaters but it's a well matched fight. Joyce definitely beats both. Joyce would be too strong imo and get on Bakole's chest and stop him. He is pretty clueless protecting himself on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bakole on points for me here - Kuzmin needs the KO.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Both looked too pedestrian for large parts the fight. More urgency needed!

Hard not to be delighted for Bakole when you see the reaction at the announcement. Looked like the kid who was picked last scoring the winner in the last minute. He did well tonight it was a fair decent fight.

Weekly reminder of how piss poor the heavyweight division is

Can it is what it is not like these two are really challenging. It’s still probably the most exciting division.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Can it is what it is not like these two are really challenging. It’s still probably the most exciting division.

Only exciting because it's heavyweight boxing really. Serious lack of talent in the division at the moment and concerning lack of good fighters coming through.

• Advertisement

Only exciting because it's heavyweight boxing really. Serious lack of talent in the division at the moment and concerning lack of good fighters coming through.

Yea. Americans need to get back into it in order to bring back a golden era. Too many easier ways and MMA hurting boxing as well.

Wach had a fair opening round but he;s slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Go back a few years and these two bums, fury and the elderly Eastern European wouldn’t even make the grade as sparring partners for a decent heavyweight.

It’s like a white collar charity boxing night between the local bouncers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Shades of Ali here for sure.

That eye don't look good.

By the looks of both and pace of both this looks like it’s round 15!!

uh oh. And Fury just after saying that the bad luck was over. He better get Wach out of there quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Stupid question

Does a cut stoppage go to the judges ?

Stupid question

Deemed a clash of heads by the ref so this would go to the judges yeah.

If the cut was caused by a punch it would be a TKO.

Anybody scoring this?

Stupid question

After 4 completed rounds it would if accidental clash..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Go back a few years and these two bums, fury and the elderly Eastern European wouldn’t even make the grade as sparring partners for a decent heavyweight.

It’s like a white collar charity boxing night between the local bouncers.

20 years maybe.
    I haven't forgotten the period where John Ruiz was a Heavyweight champion, a fat James Toney was a top contender, and a crude Samuel Peter was the next great contender.
    I'll take this generation over them thanks !

Advertisement