Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien series (Noah Hawley) [FX]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

My all time favourite movie. This could go either way. Thanks for the heads up I’ll be keeping an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Guaranteed not everyone is going to like it!

If Legion and Fargo are anything to go by though, I'm definitely gonna like it!

Hrmmm.. he tends to go all-in. Guessing there's gonna be some really scary scene outta nowhere at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slydice wrote: »
    Guaranteed not everyone is going to like it!

If Legion and Fargo are anything to go by though, I'm definitely gonna like it!

Hrmmm.. he tends to go all-in. Guessing there's gonna be some really scary scene outta nowhere at some point.

Well, Alien loved linking its xenomprh with corporate greed and industrial espionage, so I'm going to take a guess this show will be set in or around that same world. Maybe some kind of corporate gold rush in the wake of Weyland Yutani hitting the wall... a scramble to restart their weaponisation project...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Brian Wood did a pretty decent comic that saw Ripley's Daughter Amanda , last seen in the Alien Isolation game looking for her Mother, pairing up with colonial marine and a synthetic to frustrate Weyland Yutani attempts to weaponize the Aliens. It would make a solid basis for a tv show .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'd feel a lot less optimistic about this if Ridley Scott was the main creative talent behind this project instead of Hawley.

He obviously did incredible work on the original film but Prometheus and Covenant had some good moments but overall left a lot to be desired especially plot wise.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, Alien loved linking its xenomprh with corporate greed and industrial espionage, so I'm going to take a guess this show will be set in or around that same world. Maybe some kind of corporate gold rush in the wake of Weyland Yutani hitting the wall... a scramble to restart their weaponisation project...

Was thinking similar. Some kinda feel like the Space station at the start of Aliens... except something frigthening included.. probably whereever they've got that weaponisation project going.

I wonder how successful this could be as material for a tv series really tho, notwithstanding the books.

Even getting more than a couple of decent movies out of it has proved a struggle.

The impact of the aliens was greatly lessened after the first [x] number of alien encounters across the movies.

(although I actually liked Prometheus to an extent - Covenant was crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If I remember correctly, a couple of those Alien shorts from last year were pretty good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

I'd feel a lot less optimistic about this if Ridley Scott was the main creative talent behind this project instead of Hawley.

He obviously did incredible work on the original film but Prometheus and Covenant had some good moments but overall left a lot to be desired especially plot wise.
    Prometheus was good.
    Covenant I watched once, will never watch it again.

Hawley puts a lot of work into his shows. It doesn't seem to translate to money though.

Who owns FX now? Disney I think. Disney feel like they look out for money but FX tended to just go in to make the shows.
    Maybe if it breaks even Disney will let it run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"New Alien TV Series Will Be Class Warfare With Xenomorphs" - Vanity Fair interview with Hawley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Taking wild leaps into speculation, Hawley's comments read to me like a hint that Earth might be overrun with xenomorphs; so if you're telling a "class warfare" story, then one might immediately look towards any genre fiction with sieges in their premise. So zombie stories, to Attack on Titan and all so on, where the rich live sheltered, safe & distant lives, while the rest of us slog around the barricades - a breach or infection always a daily risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Interesting take and Attack The Block would be a good basic example of how it could be done well and authentically.

But tackling such issues authentically and genuinely these days is a massive challenge, so god speed to Hawley I hope he's got a handle on it.

Interesting take and Attack The Block would be a good basic example of how it could be done well and authentically.

But tackling such issues authentically and genuinely these days is a massive challenge, so god speed to Hawley I hope he's got a handle on it.

"Alien" meets "High-Rise"?

Damn, I'm stoking my own hype here lol :D

A small tidbit of info came up for this show, via an interview with Noah Hawley for Esquire, while promoting his new novel:

“In the movies, we have this Weyland-Yutani Corporation, which is clearly also developing artificial intelligence—but what if there are other companies trying to look at immortality in a different way, with cyborg enhancements or transhuman downloads? Which of those technologies is going to win? It’s ultimately a classic science fiction question: does humanity deserve to survive? As Sigourney Weaver said in that second movie, ‘I don’t know which species is worse. At least they don’t **** each other over for a percentage.’ Even if the show was 60% of the best horror action on the planet, there’s still 40% where we have to ask, ‘What are we talking about it, beneath it all?’ Thematically, it has to be interesting.”

Obviously, nothing in that quotation mentions the xenomorphs themselves, so one wonders where - or even if - they'll figure. And if they don't, will FX be happy enough to leave Hawley be, in this IP driven world we live in?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a38591125/noah-hawley-anthem-alien-fargo-interview/

I...

I really want to see what Hawley has in mind. I'd rather know than it not see the light of day. Especially if it sounds like he's got a big question he wants to explore.

TELL US WHAT YOU FOUND NOAH! .. huh.. given his name, it'd be funny if the ending he delivered was Humanity needing to get off planet on an Ark 😁

Small update to this, but looks like Hawley has delivered all the scripts and filming will begin "next year".

Some good nuggets in that article .. not just about this show too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Looking for news of this but I can't see anything. Anyone any info?

Nothing since the last update; only that filming is supposed to start sometime this year. I'm not even sure there has been any casting yet.

There's also a new Alien movie in the works & that's to start shooting in February I believe.

• Advertisement

IMDB page is sparse: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13623632/

Language: English

Film locations: Thailand

Color: Color 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Colour is my favourite colour.

This is hot of the press today.... and only reconfirms that production starts later this year. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The weaponisation aspect of Alien has always been absolutely fucking dumb.

Well the first casting has appeared, so it's still definitely happening: Sydney Chandler is to play a lead, but no details beyond that WRT who she'll be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've heard some rumours around this and a leaked audition tape that corroborates them.

I wouldn't be confident at all.

A woman lead.. looks like the imdb ratings panel isn't available for the 1/10 scorers to jump in yet:

Anyway.. her imdb is here: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7584896/

She got experience alongside Florence Pugh and directed by Olivia Wilde in Don't Worry Darling

She was also in the Sex Pistols series Pistol

Haven't seen either.

Wiki pointed me towards her getting some experience in a Colin Farrell series, called Sugar .. so I dunno.. that could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reports today they will make this series without SAG members.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It means they'll hire, I'm guessing wildly, from outside the US. I guess, cos if not they'll be casting picket crossers? Not sure

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Likely bad and unexperienced; they might get lucky but I'd not count on pulling in great talent (esp. as other series will have the same problem).

Advertisement