Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien series (Noah Hawley) [FX]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If anyone remotely thought that this thing was going to be anything but shit, they're probably in no doubt now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fargo and Legion is still carrying a lot of water Hawley has an interesting idea for this. And as I've heard this is to be set on earth, I've a funny feeling there won't be that much xenomorphs in this show, acting as punctuations than the point of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This has been retweeted by a few actors, Amy Berg has written for a lot of TV series.

Anyone who takes a non union job during the strike could be barred from joining the union in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like production has finally shut down, out in Thailand no less (wonder if that's for location shooting?)

FX's upcoming Alien television series has now fully shut down production, amid the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike. On Monday, a report revealed that the series has suspended its production in Thailand, with the ensemble cast of the series being sent home last Friday. The pause in production was reportedly planned, with the crew reportedly continuing to work and prepare the series' sets, so that filming can begin as soon as possible after the strike ends. It had previously been reported that Alien would be able to continue production amid the strike, as it has a largely international ensemble and only two of its main cast members are members of SAG-AFTRA. As a result, Alien was able to continue filming for at least the past month with non-SAG-AFTRA members. Additionally, the report reveals that Shadow and Bone star Kit Young has been cast in Alien as a character named Tootles. 

Woof: Hawley now saying the show won't air 'til early 2025, so anyone eagerly awaiting this may get comfy lol.

“We’re all just waiting for the strike, and it will end,” Hawley told TheWrap in an interview ahead of the fifth installment of “Fargo.”

“The plan right now is to go back in January and be shooting in February, and looks like shoot until July or so, which puts the air date somewhere in the in the first half of ’25,” Hawley said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well it's always nice to have something to look forward too lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some interesting details in that article: I hadn't known or had forgotten it was to be set before the events of the original film - wonder if after the latter-day prequel movies though?

Plus the main character's description sounds potentially tricky

Details about Olyphant’s character are not being disclosed. I hear he plays Kirsh, a synth who acts as a mentor and trainer for Chandler’s Wendy who is a hybrid, a meta-human who has the brain and consciousness of a child but the body of an adult

Wonder is this some kind of new subservient class to replace/ compliment to androids?

Anyone hating the whole bio-weapon angle rest easy: Noah Hawley hates the idea too and everything from the Prometheus films will be ignored.

"The thing with Alien is that it’s not just a great monster movie. It’s the story of humanity trapped between its primordial parasitic past and its AI future, and they’re both trying to kill us. So, there’s nowhere to go. It’s really a story of does humanity deserve to survive? Does humanity’s arrogance in thinking that we’re no longer food and its arrogance in creating these AI beings who we think will do what we tell them — but ultimately might lose their mind — is there a way out?”

“Ridley and I have talked about this — and many, many elements of the show,” Hawley says. “For me, and for a lot of people, this ‘perfect life form’ — as it was described in the first film — is the product of millions of years of evolution that created this creature that may have existed for a million years out there in space. The idea that, on some level, it was a bioweapon created half an hour ago, that’s just inherently less useful to me. And in terms of the mythology, what’s scary about this monster, is that when you look at those first two movies, you have this retro-futuristic technology. You have giant computer monitors, these weird keyboards … You have to make a choice. Am I doing that? Because in the prequels, Ridley made the technology thousands of years more advanced than the technology of Alien, which is supposed to take place in those movies’ future. There’s something about that that doesn’t really compute for me. I prefer the retro-futurism of the first two films. And so that’s the choice I’ve made — there’s no holograms. The convenience of that beautiful Apple store technology is not available to me.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That bio weapon nonsense that has plagued the whole franchise was and is a terrible, terrible, idea, so I'm delighted that it's getting the boot. Ridley Scott's destructive prequels can get stuffed too and I agree with Noah Hawley that the advanced tech in 'Prometheus' looks ridiculous when it's stacked up against the tech of the "future" movies. I'll never know why Scott decided to go down that route. Pity there was no one around to just say no to him.

In any case, those prequels seem to have been quietly consigned to the "forget about it" bin.

I'm still not all that enthused about this series though and I really dislike the idea of setting it on Earth too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I love his thinking. Any chance Paramount could get him to do a Star Trek film that would be great. He gets it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think ignoring Prometheus and Covenant is groundbreaking news for this show, as I never expected Hawley to use much of anything from them anyway. Neither did I expect Ridley Scott to hand over that narrative to anyone else.

Still, it's great to hear again how passionate Hawley is.

Advertisement