Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

To avoid confusion you should call it an octothorpe:) It was a question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire one time.

The official name of the number sign, the one located at the bottom right hand corner of phone keypads and used to label hashtags on social media, is octothorpe. Also called a hash or a pound sign, the symbol has roots in 14th century Latin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why 'octo', though, considering it has nine spaces/square and not eight?

EDIT: Mystery solved (from www.dictionary.com.
    What is the # symbol called?

4: The octothorpe. It’s the official name for the # symbol, but what does it mean? It’s actually a made-up word, invented in the same laboratories where the telephone came from. The scientists at Bell Laboratories modified the telephone keypad in the early 1960s and added the # symbol to send instructions to the telephone operating system. Since the # symbol didn’t have a name, the technicians thought one up. They knew it should be called octo- something because it had eight ends around the edge. What happened next is not entirely clear. According to one report, Bell Lab employee Don MacPherson named it after the Olympian Jim Thorpe. Another former employee claims it was a nonsense word, meant as a joke. Another unverifiable report is much more etymologically satisfying: The Old Norse word thorpe meant “farm or field,” so octothorpe literally means “eight fields.”
    1: The pound sign. This name came to be because the symbol comes from the abbreviation for weight, lb, or libra pondo, literally “pound by weight,” in Latin. When writing “lb,” scribes often crossed the letters with a line across the top, like a t.

lb.jpeg
    2: The number sign. This phrase arose in Britain because pound sign could easily be confused with the British currency. And of course, the # symbol is sometimes spoken as the word “number,” as in “#2 pencil.”

3: The hashtag. The word hash predates these other names (but wasn’t very popular until recently). A hash has referred to stripes on military jackets since as early as 1910. But, in the 1980s, people started using hash to refer to the # symbol. Since the ascent of social media and its new prominence in everyday life, hashtag has become the favored name.

How else has the # symbol been used?

Similar symbols appear in many other places. Musicians recognize # as the sharp symbol, denoting a note one half step higher. Copy editors see a symbol meaning “space,” as in “add a space between two sentences.” In computer code, the # symbol means that everything that follows is only comment, not instruction.

That's one for Google. Another one which catches people out sometimes is the prefix Tetra, which means Four.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That's one for Google. Another one which catches people out sometimes is the prefix Tetra, which means Four.

Thought that was a fish? Always wondered why there was no fish in a Tetrapak?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Insane

That was an insane performance right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Lidderally. Wadder. Budder. Axed.
    And their stupid way of writing down the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Insane

That was an insane performance right there

Insanse isn't a noun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

764dak wrote: »
    Insanse isn't a noun.

I don't follow, but they use the word insane to mean outstanding instead of the traditional meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The official name of the number sign, the one located at the bottom right hand corner of phone keypads and used to label hashtags on social media, is octothorpe. Also called a hash or a pound sign.

Also called a pound sign :confused:
    Not in Ireland or Britain...

This is the pound sign £
    This is the Euro sign €
    This is the dollar sign $
    This is number/hash sign #

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Dope, as a slang term for something good. "That sh!t is dope". Beyond irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On the flip-side, imagine an American (or any other nationality) trying to decipher this Irish English phrase:

"Me mammy put the messages in the press"

Also called a pound sign :confused:
    Not in Ireland or Britain...

This is the pound sign £

That is just a recent development of something which goes back hundreds of years. People who want to fix language usage to match what is done in their own lifetimes, fail to appreciate what happened to get the language where it is. And will fail in their futile pursuit to stop it evolving.

1: The pound sign. This name came to be because the symbol comes from the abbreviation for weight, lb, or libra pondo, literally “pound by weight,” in Latin. When writing “lb,” scribes often crossed the letters with a line across the top, like a t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

That is just a recent development of something which goes back hundreds of years. People who want to fix language usage to match what is done in their own lifetimes, fail to appreciate what happened to get the language where it is. And will fail in their futile pursuit to stop it evolving.

Yeah, that's all very well and good, but for the purposes of this thread regarding irritating Americanisms in Ireland may I suggest that this # would not be considered the pound sign. Maybe in the States? but not here....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On the flip-side, imagine an American (or any other nationality) trying to decipher this Irish English phrase:

Or a little worse "me mammy is after putting the messages in the press"

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

I know it's part of the evolution of language, but it does irritate me to hear new Americanisms creeping in to everyday speech in Ireland.

'Seniors' for the elderly

'Power outages' for power cuts, that we also used to call black-outs, and

'I'm good' (as a response to How are you?) When someone says they're 'good' I feel like saying, 'I'll be the judge of that'. (Admittedly, Americans find 'grand' odd as a description of how you are.)

Some American English phrases however are less clunky than our own phrases for the same concept, and are probably here to stay. Now, I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or a little worse "me mammy is after putting the messages in the press"

That's even worser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dope, as a slang term for something good. "That sh!t is dope". Beyond irritating.

Something "dropped" on Netflix. I hope it wasn't damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

scrips wrote: »

A 1994 episode of Friends is called "The One with the Blackout."
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0583579/

It seems like they mainly use "blackouts" for large-scale power cuts.
    https://worldenglishteacher.com/meaning-blackout-vs-power-outage
    https://homegenerators.cummins.com/backup-power/types-of-power-outages
    https://www.techopedia.com/definition/13085/power-outage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I like Seniors very much. So much more respectful than 'the elderly' or even worse 'OAPs'.

Of course your preferred terminology will reflect your attitude to older citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hiberno-English for Americans. Q5. Comprehension.

Mary: You wouldn't run down to the shop for a few messages?

Bob: I fukin will, yeah!

1. Does Bob actually to the shop?
    2. How likely is it would run there?
    3. What was he asked to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yeah, that's all very well and good, but for the purposes of this thread regarding irritating Americanisms in Ireland may I suggest that this # would not be considered the pound sign. Maybe in the States? but not here....

Yes, not here. We'd rather use the Americanism "hash".

St. Patty's Day.

Thanks for all the likes xx

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

I know it's part of the evolution of language, but it does irritate me to hear new Americanisms creeping in to everyday speech in Ireland.

'I'm good' (as a response to How are you?) When someone says they're 'good' I feel like saying, 'I'll be the judge of that'. (Admittedly, Americans find 'grand' odd as a description of how you are.)

Some American English phrases however are less clunky than our own phrases for the same concept, and are probably here to stay. Now, I'm done.

Yes! I have to agree. If I hear one more parent (I include my own husband in this) saying to their children: 'good job' with an American inflection , I think I might scream 😬 What's wrong with 'well done'?!

Other than that I don't really find American terminology irritating if used by an American, impersonators on the other hand.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Lidderally. Wadder. Budder. Axed.
    And their stupid way of writing down the date.

Fedder (feather), beef sah-ayy (beef satay), tree (3), stah (star), wedder (weather) and the widespread misuse of the word "been" for being. And if you're from Monaghan, saying hi or hey after greeting someone- "well what's the craic hi." Or the heavy use of the word "like" in some parts. And the gasp or taking in of air to convey that you agree. Wtf. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^
    American? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

New Home wrote: »
    ^^^
    American? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

To illustrate the point, we pronounce or say things in an irritating or ridiculous manner as well....

Bobbins wrote: »
    Yes! I have to agree. If I hear one more parent (I include my own husband in this) saying to their children: 'good job' with an American inflection , I think I might scream 😬 What's wrong with 'well done'?!

Other than that I don't really find American terminology irritating if used by an American, impersonators on the other hand.....

It's a good job they don't say Nice Going or Great Work. Going back to a previous one, I would usually say Not Bad rather than Good in response to an enquiry about my well being. How's Things? Not Bad. Although I think the "American" Good, probably comes from the Irish Go Maith. Conas atá tú? Go Maith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sky King wrote: »
    Hiberno-English for Americans. Q5. Comprehension.

Mary: You wouldn't run down to the shop for a few messages?

Bob: I fukin will, yeah!

1. Does Bob actually to the shop Store?
    2. How likely is it would run there?
    3. What was he asked to do?
    Slight change there SK. To an American a shop is a a workshop, a store a shop. Though "Store" like "Mom" is increasingly in use here. Elongate the vowel for full effect. Stoooore, moooom

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wibbs wrote: »
    Slight change there SK. To an American a shop is a a workshop, a store a shop. Though "Store" like "Mom" is increasingly in use here. Elongate the vowel for full effect. Stoooore, moooom

I've always associated the word Store with the big old Department Stores but then as you can see I've fallen into the trap of using another American name for things.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I liked using Irish idioms in America to see the reaction. “How are ya! What are ya at?” is a good one, usually got a reply of “uh where am I at? I’m at home”.

Advertisement