Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine . . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Oh i don't know about that.

I think the world it envisages sounds ****e.

I prefer capitalism to the hippy dippy commune ****e he bangs on about.

I detest that song too.

Nah, fúck capitalism....hanging about, dropping acid, banging hippy chicks - that'll do me, i'm a simple man, with simple needs:D

Nah, fúck capitalism....hanging about, dropping acid, banging hippy chicks - that'll do me, i'm a simple man, with simple needs:D

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Marxist acid.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

RIP in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

My great aunt who worked at the Lenox Hill hospital in the upper east side of NYC actually operated on John after he was shot, met Yoko Ono and was amazed at how calm and quiet she was, and they did all they could but he was wounded so badly that even if he was in hospital the second after he was shot they wouldn't have been able to save him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

it makes no difference to the music he created and fúck me could he make fantastic music. An out and out bona fide genius, anyone who says different just doesn't know what they're talking about!

I think he is greatly overrated as a solo artist and is he is only highly regarded because he was a member of the Beatles (and rightly so). His solo work is mostly nothing special. Musically Imagine is a drab song and is only considered good because of it talking peace for all. I much prefer his Happy Xmas (War Is Over) with the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

bigar wrote: »
    His solo work is mostly nothing special

Have to disagree with you there. Plastic Ono Band is one of the greatest albums of all time. As good as anything he did with The Beatles IMO and so much rawer and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They had one good song. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Working class hero is great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Jealous Guy ....

While we're on the subject of great Lennon songs post - Beatles:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Lyrics are so easy to write. Music not so much.

Didn't John Lennon credit Yoko Ono with the lyrics, it was a poem she had written in the mid sixties and later he added the music, so all the Lennon bashers here need to take that into account.
    Hell he was far from perfect but he spotted a decent hit single when he saw it and any bit of criticism that came later he was more than able for.

Didn't John Lennon credit Yoko Ono with the lyrics, it was a poem she had written in the mid sixties and later he added the music, so all the Lennon bashers here need to take that into account.

Absolutely, see post #28

Here's John and Yoko waiting for the maid to make their bed, so they can resume their protest in the luxury Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel.

[IMG][/img]
    john-lennon-and-yokoono.jpg

Strawberry Fields Forever . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Here's John and Yoko waiting for the maid to make their bed, so they can resume their protest in the luxury Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel.

[IMG][/img]

What a pair of absolute f*****g c***s. I mean the neck on them:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

He’s highly respected as a rythm guitar player. Outside of the Beatles he’s written some good songs. But frankly nothing worth the hero worship he’s been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

RIP Dimebag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

[IMG][/img]

Had to read up about that as I never knew. So it was about "protesting" over the Vietnam war. What a hippie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

gifted wrote: »
    I get knocked down but I get up again....real songwriting there lol lol

But you never gonna keep me down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Never trust a hippy.

Normal One wrote: »
    RIP Dimebag

Yeah, same date, crazy. Also shot by a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheShockmaster

As usual the too cool for school crowd are in there with the same boring cynical soundbites, that everyone has heard before, trying to impress.

I’d like to imagine a world where this sort of boring parroting is gone, but unfortunately it’s getting further and further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's a good song but lets be honest here, Lennon was a bit of a prick.

Never trust a hippy.

Don't Let me Down...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oink wrote: »
    He’s highly respected as a rythm guitar player.
    Yeah and a point rarely enough mentioned. He had a distinctive approach, quite aggressive and staccato. One hell of a voice on him too. When he was in the groove he was an incredible songwriter, but the absolute peak of that was largely reached around the White album with some blips of greatness afterwards. Post Beatles he was very much a mixed bag, but then again so was McCartney(he sustained the peak for a little longer).

I read an interview with the director Peter Jackson who is currently going through the many many hours of footage that was shot during the Get Back sessions which was cobbled together for the Let It Be film and album in 1970. He said he expected it to be dour and awful, a glimpse into a band breakup, but apparently the original Let it Be flic was very much edited that way(years later Lennon snuck into a cinema to watch it and apparently was left in floods of tears ). He reckons it's far more complex, with McCartney even defending Lennon having Yoko around because she made him happy and with scary accuracy joking "in 20 years time they'll be saying she broke up the band because she sat on an amp".

One of his takeaways from the footage is the real sense they didn't know where to go next. They had done so much and were often the first to do it. They had done the unreal fame, touring, the massive stadiums, the rock and roll thing, the pop thing, the ballad thing, folk and otherwise, films, "videos", the classical thing, the psychedelic thing, the grunge thing, the experimental etc(only one actual blues song funny enough) Where could they go next? Joke is after those sessions were wrapped up they went into the studio one last time together and made Abbey Road, which turned out to be one of their most popular and acclaimed albums.

It can be hard to see their impact these days. The meh of repetition and the distance in years and the wide range of music we've been exposed to since, but if you were alive back then every record they put out was better than the last and then they started to sound like nothing you ever heard before, or even could have heard before, while always remaining unmistakeably them, The Beatles. And what's truly staggering is they did all of that in just under eight years and before they turned 30.

And John Lennon was a huge and indispensable driving force behind that(all four of them were to one degree or other). Consider just one almost throwaway song of his; Jealous Guy that Hamsterchops mentioned above. Written when he was in the Beatles, but never used, recorded later with new lyrics. Sounds like a pretty basic love type song right? Nothing unusual really. Only it's written in the pentatonic scale. Think Indian music, or the black keys on a piano. It should sound really weird, even discordant to a western ear, but it doesn't, and that's raw talent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hey Bulldog

Happiness is a Warm Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I could never get into his solo records, as bodies of work... certainly some great and good songs splattered around but he seemed like a guy who was taking himself and his art and message a bit too seriously....for the most part anyway.

When you play some of the solo stuff it’s like I dunno, if it wasn’t Lennon.... would you be bothered ? A little heavy on sentiment and light on tunes...

When you look at the three main songwriters in a band as lauded, important and a good as the Beatles... Harrison aside it has been a pretty mixed bag from the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people living for today
    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one
    Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you
    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

J.W.L

Died this day in 1980.
    Forty years ago!

What was his last hit....?

Ans.....’the pavement / sidewalk’..........

I’ll get my coat 🧥

Advertisement