Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine . . .

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

"Woman" is my favorite

Simple and beautiful ,same as Imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Arghus wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there. Plastic Ono Band is one of the greatest albums of all time. As good as anything he did with The Beatles IMO and so much rawer and honest.

In your myopic view....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wibbs wrote: »
    Only it's written in the pentatonic scale. Think Indian music, or the black keys on a piano. It should sound really weird, even discordant to a western ear, but it doesn't, and that's raw talent.

Ah now, that’s taking it a bit far. “Cotton Eyed Joe” by The Rednex is also written in a pentatonic scale. There’s no raw talent there.

It may not be a scale type that most of the general public are familiar with, but there’s loads of popular western songs written in them - Amazing Grace, Auld Lang Syne, nursery rhymes like “rain, rain go away” and “ring a ring a Rosie”as well as tonnes of blues, jazz and rock tunes. There’s no specific skill needed to make a song using a pentatonic scale - good songwriting is good songwriting.

Also Indian music uses an entirely different framework to western music. It’s not just that it uses a pentatonic scale (it can, but uses other scales too) - there’s an awful lot more to it than that.

Also also, the black keys on the piano only make one a pentatonic scale - G Flat. The C Major pentatonic scale is entirely played on white keys, others have a mixture of white and black keys.

Pasteur. wrote: »
    "Woman" is my favorite

Simple and beautiful ,same as Imagine

And has a chorus with as deep a meaning as that amazing Eiffel65 song.

I guarantee if ed Sheeran pit out such meaningless ****e, it would be rightfully discarded as bull****.

Lennon got a pass for all his good Beatles work

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Tubs 🛠is a massive Beatles fan......it’s like grew up in their ‘hay-day’......when in actual fact he missed it by at least two decades......

Can never understand the fuss about the Beatles......especially from guys like tubs who weren’t even born when they were at the height of their career...😡😡

• Advertisement

Tubs 🛠is a massive Beatles fan......it’s like grew up in their ‘hay-day’......when in actual fact he missed it by at least two decades......

Can never understand the fuss about the Beatles......especially from guys like tubs who weren’t even born when they were at the height of their career...

Lennon also reminds me of one the IRA ‘hunger strikers’ with his latter day long hair, beard and draping loose gowns etc....could just ‘imagine’ him partaking in the blanket/dirty protest....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think I'm being the myopic one to be honest.

It's a fantastic album, which set the template for loads of confessional songwriters to come. Lennon is frank and raw on numerous tracks and puts all his insecurities and fears out there in a way that manages to be both specific and universal. The songs have a beautiful stripped back minimalist quality that means the emotional heaviness of the record never becomes overbearing. The sound of a man unburdening himself after a decade like none of us have ever experienced.

A brilliant record.

I don't think I'm being the myopic one to be honest.

It's a fantastic album, which set the template for loads of confessional songwriters to come. Lennon is frank and raw on numerous tracks and puts all his insecurities and fears out there in a way that manages to be both specific and universal. The songs have a beautiful stripped back minimalist quality that means the emotional heaviness of the record never becomes overbearing. The sound of a man unburdening himself after a decade like none of us have ever experienced.

A brilliant record.

I’ve read it all now......minimalist quality/emotional heaviness......would ya go have a look in the mirror....how can you be so certain of what Lennon was thinking/had going on in his head...?

I’ve read it all now......minimalist quality/emotional heaviness......would ya go have a look in the mirror....how can you be so certain of what Lennon was thinking/had going on in his head...?

It was easy to figure out what was going on in his head because he tended to sing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

One of the worst songs ever recorded. It’s trite, has a plodding chorus, and the world he envisages would be boring at best, and an unmitigated disaster at worst.

I totally disagree with you on everyone of those points. That is the type of World we should be aiming for. A world with no greed. Where everyone has everything they need and where no one wants for anything. I think he would have loved Star Trek TNGs vision of the future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah now, that’s taking it a bit far. “Cotton Eyed Joe” by The Rednex is also written in the pentatonic scale. It may not be a scale that most of the general public are familiar with, but there’s loads of popular western songs written in it - Amazing Grace, Auld Lang Syne, nursery rhymes like “rain, rain go away” and “ring a ring a Rosie”as well as tonnes of blues, jazz and rock tunes. There’s no specific skill needed to make a song using a pentatonic scale - good songwriting is good songwriting.
    Well I'll ignore jazz cos that's wittering bilge for the most part.... *runs* :D

And yes I agree with you there are lots of songs written in the scale, mostly older folk songs and hymns, in pop music not nearly so much. Certainly back then. Actually that was another thing noted of the Beatles output, they used a load of older styles, music hall and church type stuff rather than the usual fare of pop music at the time. That though they went mad for and were influenced by blues, rock and roll and popular music they didn't reproduce it that often in their own material.

That's what's odd if you listen to their studio tapes. They'll be roughly jamming away in rough R&B stuff, like a bad garage band and then they'll start an actual song and it's like a whole other vibe kicks off.

And then there was Lennon's oddball use of rhythm, which gave Ringo no end of trouble. EG

It's all over the bloody place. :D Apparently Lennon once brought a record into the studio, jazz IIRC and said to Ringo "I want it like that". Ringo pointed out there were two drummers on the track. Lennon came back with "Don't worry Richie, you'll be grand". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was easy to figure out what was going on in his head because he tended to sing about it.
    True, though others did similar. Dylan the obvious one, though more poetically even with a little more artifice than Lennon. I think that's why Paul's stuff was for so long considered somehow more "lightweight" because we came to see the singer songwriter as being more from the heart, more subjective, about themselves, but McCartney tended to speak from the objective, more universal from characters he wrote. He came across more as an observer rather than the soul revealed. Eleanor Rigby and the like. Though IMHO that's just as hard a trick to pull off, if not harder, because it's still about the self. Lennon could do that too, but more rarely.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Imagine there was no Yoko maybe John might be alive
    He'd still be a hipster though

Hey Bulldog.
    Interestingly, or not, they shot a promo film for that when a film crew visited the recording, but it was used instead for Lady Madonna, cos reasons. Not so long ago this was spotted and now we have the originalish edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Well I'll ignore jazz cos that's wittering bilge for the most part.... *runs*

You get 6 thanks from me for that comment alone.

True, though others did similar. Dylan the obvious one, though more poetically even with a little more artifice than Lennon. I think that's why Paul's stuff was for so long considered somehow more "lightweight" because we came to see the singer songwriter as being more from the heart, more subjective, about themselves, but McCartney tended to speak from the objective, more universal from characters he wrote. He came across more as an observer rather than the soul revealed. Eleanor Rigby and the like. Though IMHO that's just as hard a trick to pull off, if not harder, because it's still about the self. Lennon could do that too, but more rarely.

I think Lennon's directness is unmatched. That's partially why his songs resonate with people so much. He was often honest to a fault, even to the point where he'd contradict himself. And I think he was often motivated by getting his point across first and foremost and often just baldly stated what was on his mind.

Dylan.. I agree and I disagree. Blood on The Tracks Dylan, yes, but I wouldn't say that was his mode for 80% of his career. He can be famously gnomic - some of the final meaning of several of his most famous songs are still being debated. Dylan is definitely a more accomplished lyricist - by far - but he doesn't hit in the gut like Lennon does, for me.

You get 6 thanks from me for that comment alone.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D and :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Imagine I'm a great big eye from Outer Space.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I may be the only living human that believes the beatles were grossly overrated.

To me they are a glorified boy band.

I may be the only living human that believes the beatles were grossly overrated.

To me they are a glorified boy band.

The only thing they have in common with a boy band is that they were guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement