Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Mc Love wrote: »
    It happened to me on the last update so I just pressed back, it is quite annoying though

I did the same. Checked the System Update tab and it said that is now installed, so I'll take that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hi all

Does anyone know the best way to use sideloaded apps.

I am trying to install Discord, I have it on. My specific problem is that it is the phone app and it doesn't scale for TV. So menus I need are cut off at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hi all

I am trying to install Discord, I have it on. My specific problem is that it is the phone app and it doesn't scale for TV. So menus I need are cut off at the bottom.
    why are you putting that on the shield outta curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not all mobile / tablet based apps will work well on Android TV. I occasionally use the Virgin TV Anywhere app on it, but its very quirky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I notice the prime app keeps switching to other languages, usually German for some reason. I'm not using a VPN or anything and its only that app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Metalpanic

Hi all. Shield I bought in 2017 powered off today and won’t come back on. I’m thinking it could be the power adapter, but it doesn’t look like you can buy these from Nvidia? If anyone had any advice it would be appreciated. I would hate to buy a replacement Shield for the new power adapter to work on the old one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Hi all. Shield I bought in 2017 powered off today and won’t come back on. I’m thinking it could be the power adapter, but it doesn’t look like you can buy these from Nvidia? If anyone had any advice it would be appreciated. I would hate to buy a replacement Shield for the new power adapter to work on the old one!

Their customer service is supposedly brilliant, so even though it's out of warranty there'd be no harm contacting them to seek their advice.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/contact/

Or you can buy 3rd party replacement power supply on eBay.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Their customer service is supposedly brilliant, so even though it's out of warranty there'd be no harm contacting them to seek their advice.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/contact/

Or you can buy 3rd party replacement power supply on eBay.

Thanks for the advise Tom. I had a live chat with support this morning and even though I bought the shield from Amazon in 2017, they are still sending out a replacement. I just had to provide proof of S/N and the Amazon order. Very impressed with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm using the Aptoide store for some apps and others I get the apk and drop the file into one of the HDD's I have connected and then use a file manager within shield to navigate to the file and install that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I use an app called Send Anywhere, have it on my phone, and the Shield. You can send APKs through from your phone to the Shield. In fairness though, you'll need a file manager to locate the APK, and to install as well though

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    why are you putting that on the shield outta curiosity?

My mates and I use Discord to simulwatch sports and stuff.

Handy to have the stream in the same program as the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Does anyone know if any of the karaoke apps let you use the mic on the new remote to sing? I tried one and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all. Shield I bought in 2017 powered off today and won’t come back on. I’m thinking it could be the power adapter, but it doesn’t look like you can buy these from Nvidia? If anyone had any advice it would be appreciated. I would hate to buy a replacement Shield for the new power adapter to work on the old one![/quote

Hi all. Shield I bought in 2017 powered off today and won’t come back on. I’m thinking it could be the power adapter, but it doesn’t look like you can buy these from Nvidia? If anyone had any advice it would be appreciated. I would hate to buy a replacement Shield for the new power adapter to work on the old one![/quote

Happens regularly when my son unplugs his ps to take it to his mothers, I leave it powered on, unplug the power cable at the back of the shield,wait a minute, out back and bobs your uncle

Happens regularly when my son unplugs his ps to take it to his mothers, I leave it powered on, unplug the power cable at the back of the shield,wait a minute, out back and bobs your uncle

Thanks corks finest. I've had that happen to me frequently too. Unfortunately this time it is not coming back up at all. Fingers crossed its just the power supply and the new one will solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Although NVIDIA Shield (2017 version) related this may be more of a Win 10 issue but does anyone know how to look up the correct username and password to be used when mounting Win 10 network storage?

I have my 8TB HDD on a Win 10 PC which is connected by Ethernet to the Shield. The Shield sees and offers the PC as network storage but having tried all combination of username and password I can think of I just can't get it to mount and mounting as a guest doesn't work either.

I'm stumped!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

54and56 wrote: »
    Although NVIDIA Shield (2017 version) related this may be more of a Win 10 issue but does anyone know how to look up the correct username and password to be used when mounting Win 10 network storage?

I have my 8TB HDD on a Win 10 PC which is connected by Ethernet to the Shield. The Shield sees and offers the PC as network storage but having tried all combination of username and password I can think of I just can't get it to mount and mounting as a guest doesn't work either.

I'm stumped!

Isn't there a guest option when u mount the storage. There is on my 2017 shield

Thanks corks finest. I've had that happen to me frequently too. Unfortunately this time it is not coming back up at all. Fingers crossed its just the power supply and the new one will solve the issue.

Welcome, pls keep us notified as undoubtedly this is or will happen to others, hope you’re sorted

Isn't there a guest option when u mount the storage. There is on my 2017 shield

Yes, it doesn't connect. The PC (with the 8TB media content drive) is seen and offered as Network Storage but seems to require a username and password which I can't figure out even though it's my own PC :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes, it doesn't connect. The PC (with the 8TB media content drive) is seen and offered as Network Storage but seems to require a username and password which I can't figure out even though it's my own PC :o

Does your local Windows account have a login password or auto login?

• Advertisement

Did you try the username in the format;

PCname\User

Does your local Windows account have a login password or auto login?

It has a proper MS Account username and password which with the PIN login option activated.

Did you try the username in the format;

PCname\User

No, I'll give that a go thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

No, I'll give that a go thanks.

I had a similar problem with windows accounts before

Your password should be the live account password, username is just whatever your username is on the login screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

There was an update for the 2017 shield around beginning of this year, and only came to my 2019 about midyear that enabled Samba3. Before that update I had huge problems with Windows shares, but working well since. Might be worth checking if you got that update

Welcome, pls keep us notified as undoubtedly this is or will happen to others, hope you’re sorted

So bad news. The new power adapter arrived today but there’s no sign of life. I’ll get back on to customer support but I would imagine at this stage I have no other option but to buy a new one.

I'm stumped!

I could be totally wrong here.

But do you mean the password when you're trying to mount the shield.

If so you go on to the shield and go settings - storage - transfer files over network

When you go in there it'll display a username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hey guys . Since today , my shield will only connect to the 5 GWH WiFi Band. It’s a Huawei B525 router and it’s dual band. This wouldn’t really bother me expect for some reason the internet speed is at half capacity when on the 5 GHz band .
    I restarted everything and it seemed to do the trick but after a few minutes it lost internet and will only work with 5 GHz. ( it won’t actually connect to the other band when I try to switch manually )
    Anyone familiar with this issue and possible resolution ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Sounds like you have more than one issue if you only get half speed on 5.

Have you other devices on 2.4 ?
    Are there any issues with drop outs on these devices ?
    Have you many devices on 2.4?
    First thing is turn on and off shield ,not restart, pull the plug and put it back in.
    I would also turn the router on and off, again power lead out and wait for 2 mins before you put it back in.
    See how that goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Sounds like you have more than one issue if you only get half speed on 5.

Have you other devices on 2.4 ?
    Are there any issues with drop outs on these devices ?
    Have you many devices on 2.4?
    First thing is turn on and off shield ,not restart, pull the plug and put it back in.
    I would also turn the router on and off, again power lead out and wait for 2 mins before you put it back in.
    See how that goes

Yes I’ve no idea why speed is reduced when on 5 . Same on any device i use not just the shield , any ideas on that ? Can provider control that ?

On 2.4 just 2 phones and 2 laptops and heating controls

Advertisement