Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Daz_ wrote: »
    Yes I’ve no idea why speed is reduced when on 5 . Same on any device i use not just the shield , any ideas on that ? Can provider control that ?

On 2.4 just 2 phones and 2 laptops and heating controls

Try disconnecting everything else from the 5GHz band, you might have a slow device on it which will lower the speed for them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes I’ve no idea why speed is reduced when on 5 . Same on any device i use not just the shield , any ideas on that ? Can provider control that ?

On 2.4 just 2 phones and 2 laptops and heating controls

WiFi speeds can be affected by local interference in your home, nothing the ISP can do about this. Reboot your router it may select another channel with less interference, if it doesn't (wireless routers can be stupid some times) login and take it off auto and set a channel. You can get a wireless analyser app for your smartphone to see what channels are in use nearby. Pick one well away from other networks

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

WiFi speeds can be affected by local interference in your home, nothing the ISP can do about this. Reboot your router it may select another channel with less interference, if it doesn't (wireless routers can be stupid some times) login and take it off auto and set a channel. You can get a wireless analyser app for your smartphone to see what channels are in use nearby. Pick one well away from other networks

Ok thanks will check that out - it’s exactly half the speed of 2.4, consistently

Ok thanks will check that out - it’s exactly half the speed of 2.4, consistently

How far are you from your wireless router? 5ghz has half the range of 2.4ghz and doesn't penetrate obstacles like walls very well. You will get great speeds on 5ghz in the same room as the wireless router, but not that great in the next room on a weaker signal. My smartphone hops to 2.4ghz when I go to the other room.

How far are you from your wireless router? 5ghz has half the range of 2.4ghz and doesn't penetrate obstacles like walls very well. You will get great speeds on 5ghz in the same room as the wireless router, but not that great in the next room on a weaker signal. My smartphone hops to 2.4ghz when I go to the other room.

Yep router in same room as the Shield!

• Advertisement

Yep router in same room as the Shield!

Change channel then so

Change channel then so

Yep that’s doing the trick moving much higher up the channels - thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

Change channel then so

Forgive my ignorance but what channel?
    In router settings?
    Just asking in case it happens to me fein

Forgive my ignorance but what channel?
    In router settings?
    Just asking in case it happens to me fein

Yes, in wireless settings take it off auto and you will be able to select a frequency channel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes, in wireless settings take it off auto and you will be able to select a frequency channel

Thank you this forum gives out fantastic advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I wanted to see if I could record programmes from TiviMate onto an external hard drive I have plugged into my Fritbox router. I'm able to access this from Windows Explorer and also from X-plore file manager app on the Shield using my local ip 192.168.178.1.

But on Tivimate, when I try to add a LAN/SMB drive using the same IP and login details, nothing happens. Has anyone tried this before?

chewed wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is possible, but I wanted to see if I could record programmes from TiviMate onto an external hard drive I have plugged into my Fritbox router. I'm able to access this from Windows Explorer and also from X-plore file manager app on the Shield using my local ip 192.168.178.1.

But on Tivimate, when I try to add a LAN/SMB drive using the same IP and login details, nothing happens. Has anyone tried this before?

I'm recording Tivimate to a Nas so it should be straightforward. The drive needs to be mapped as network storage on the Shield first.

I'm recording Tivimate to a Nas so it should be straightforward. The drive needs to be mapped as network storage on the Shield first.

Thanks for that! I have that set up now.

I was testing out the recording this morning after setting my folder to be on my external drive, but for some reason it's saying it's recorded, but it's blank when I go to play it. There's a ! icon appearing as well, but no idea what it's indicating.

I was testing out the recording this morning after setting my folder to be on my external drive, but for some reason it's saying it's recorded, but it's blank when I go to play it. There's a ! icon appearing as well, but no idea what it's indicating.

Have you tried creating a folder on the storage with the Shield and copying and pasting in a file to make sure the Shield has permission to write to the storage. It may have read only!

Have you tried creating a folder on the storage with the Shield and copying and pasting in a file to make sure the Shield has permission to write to the storage. It may have read only!

When you say "with the Shield", what do you mean? I was in X-plore and was able to create a folder, but are you talking about another area on the Shield?

When you say "with the Shield", what do you mean? I was in X-plore and was able to create a folder, but are you talking about another area on the Shield?

No that's exactly what I was talking about, using X-plore on the Shield to create a folder proves the Shield has read and write permission on the storage. The next thing to do is use it to copy a large file and check the copy speed to see if the write speed on the storage is fast enough for Tivimate which will be a good few GB per hour

No that's exactly what I was talking about, using X-plore on the Shield to create a folder proves the Shield has read and write permission on the storage. The next thing to do is use it to copy a large file and check the copy speed to see if the write speed on the storage is fast enough for Tivimate which will be a good few GB per hour

OK thanks. Yes, I was able to create sub folders and copied a 1gb MKV file. It copied over OK and took about 2 mins. Not sure if this is too slow?

When I'm in TiviMate and click record any programme, the red circle appears for a second and then disappears. So, it's trying record, but failing.

OK thanks. Yes, I was able to create sub folders and copied a 1gb MKV file. It copied over OK and took about 2 mins. Not sure if this is too slow?

When I'm in TiviMate and click record any programme, the red circle appears for a second and then disappears. So, it's trying record, but failing.

Yeah that sounds like the drive is mounted fine and should be fast enough. You should post your issue on r/TiviMate as you'll get better support there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BandMember

Have the BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub disappeared from being preinstalled on the new Pro model and gone from the Playstore on it too? Do they have to be sideloaded now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

BandMember wrote: »
    Have the BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub disappeared from being preinstalled on the new Pro model and gone from the Playstore on it too? Do they have to be sideloaded now?

I bought the 2019 pro in Sept and don't have either of those apps by default

cefh17 wrote: »
    I bought the 2019 pro in Sept and don't have either of those apps by default

How did you manage to get them installed (if you did)?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

BandMember wrote: »
    How did you manage to get them installed (if you did)?

I'll be honest, plex has done me fine for anything I've needed, so not tried.. was just replying to the first part of your question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have them on mine and hate having them there. Need a VPN to make them work... You can have my apps

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You need a U.K. play store account and a smart dns or vpn, iplayer works best with a smart dns as bbc detects the vpn quickly and there’s down time.
    I don’t think these ever came installed but I could be wrong

I have a VPN and it worked perfectly on my last Shield with it. Just can't get them on the new one, which is a pain as I would use them a lot. :(

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Set up a U.K. playstore account it takes a minute

Will that not work though if I'm logged into the Shield using my "regular" gmail account? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,884 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hi All.

I have a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro and it's my first time trying to get a Smart DNS (Getflix) working but it just keeps failing on Getflix DNS status page

If I apply the Getflix DNS to my laptop, it works fine thou

Am I missing something on the Shield?

I set a static IP on the Shield with the DNS being the Getflix DNS, internet seems fine on the Shield but get fails on the Getflix DNS checker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Headshot wrote: »
    Hi All.

I have a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro and it's my first time trying to get a Smart DNS (Getflix) working but it just keeps failing on Getflix DNS status page

If I apply the Getflix DNS to my laptop, it works fine thou

Am I missing something on the Shield?

I set a static IP on the Shield with the DNS being the Getflix DNS, internet seems fine on the Shield but get fails on the Getflix DNS checker

Have you disabled ipv6 on the Shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,884 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Have you disabled ipv6 on the Shield?

Yup and rebooted the shield, no difference.

Driving me nuts

Id love to find some way confirm the shield is using the Getflix DNS.

I'm able to browse websites so I know DNS is working but I suspect some how it's using google DNS 8.8.8.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Headshot wrote: »
    Yup and rebooted the shield, no difference.

Driving me nuts

Id love to find some way confirm the shield is using the Getflix DNS.

I'm able to browse websites so I know DNS is working but I suspect some how it's using google DNS 8.8.8.8

Last thing I can think of off the top of my head would be making sure country/region settings are changed.

Advertisement