Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

newbie_diy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm.looking to buy one of these and can't decide between the NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO 4K Media Streaming Device - 16 GB and the NVIDIA SHIELD TV 4K Media Streaming Device - 8 GB.. What is tbe advantage of paying the extra for the Pro version?

I went for the Tube earlier this year and I can't fault it. I had no intention of using it for gaming or as a Plex server or any of that stuff. I wanted it as a fancy streaming device as it has done that with aplomb. I did expand the storage but I've rarely use that. I found this Guardian review helpful when deciding which one to get: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/26/nvidia-shield-tv-review-the-best-android-tv-box-with-brilliant-ai-upscaling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The main differences between the tube and the pro is Plex server and gaming. It has less ram and a 32 bit processor. If you've no intention of using any of the gaming features of the Shield, Android games, Geforce now, Nvidia Gamestream or emulators the tube will be fine for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wanted the two type A USB that's why I went with the flat one.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I got mine two weeks ago here

Amazon DE

Great piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

apope8 wrote: »
    I got mine two weeks ago here

Amazon DE

Great piece of kit

Probably the only piece of technology I have that I would immediately replace without any hesitation whatsoever should it stop working etc, 4 years and going strong, and used every single day without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yeah it's a great piece of kit, but has started giving me a bit of trouble lately. Sometimes Netflix just gets stuck at the loading phase (no video, but audio is playing). Likewise something similar for Youtube, and requires a restarting the device to fix. But rock solid beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great piece of kit, but has started giving me a bit of trouble lately. Sometimes Netflix just gets stuck at the loading phase (no video, but audio is playing). Likewise something similar for Youtube, and requires a restarting the device to fix. But rock solid beyond that.

A factory reset is worth trying when you have time to set it to again from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

McMurphy wrote: »
    Probably the only piece of technology I have that I would immediately replace without any hesitation whatsoever should it stop working etc, 4 years and going strong, and used every single day without fail.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

A factory reset is worth trying when you have time to set it to again from scratch

Yeah I may have too if it gets worse, it's only once a week at most currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

McMurphy wrote: »

Would agree 100% with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would agree 100% with this.

I had been following this thread for a good while and throwing my eyes up at people suggesting the Shield figuring it was complete overkill .

Then I had extra cash due to the fact my kids are grown up and working and giving me cash for Birthday/xmas so I splashed out .

Lets just say , I get it know .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

If the house went on fire I would take the 2 kids and the Shield

If the house went on fire I would take the 2 kids and the Shield

Haha and leave the ol doll? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Benzino wrote: »

I get the very same thing. I have to reboot to fix.

Not a big issue, a slight annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

nedd wrote: »

I actually get that issue sometimes and never thought it could the shield itself !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Happens to me as well with both of these apps. TBH, I don't think it's any harm to reboot the Shield anyway.....along with the router.

I turn off the Shield and Router about once a week,not a reboot but power removed for about 2 mins.If you do a quick reboot or restart it can retain any issues that were there, where as the power off for 2 mins allows the devices to clear their memories correctly and ensure the errors are cleared.

It also helps with the general WIFI in the house when the router is done this way if people have 2 networks and lots of devices(i have 28 Wifi devices in the house) as the IP addresses start to pile up etc.Its like a Spring clean once a week

I turn off the Shield and Router about once a week,not a reboot but power removed for about 2 mins.If you do a quick reboot or restart it can retain any issues that were there, where as the power off for 2 mins allows the devices to clear their memories correctly and ensure the errors are cleared.

It also helps with the general WIFI in the house when the router is done this way if people have 2 networks and lots of devices(i have 28 Wifi devices in the house) as the IP addresses start to pile up etc.Its like a Spring clean once a week

Only real annoying issue I have is when my smallie finishes with his PS4 the shield goes into hibernate mode, a nd will only start after physically unplugging it

Is there a setting in developer option to prevent that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Only real annoying issue I have is when my smallie finishes with his PS4 the shield goes into hibernate mode, a nd will only start after physically unplugging it

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4332/~/why-does-my-tv-or-receiver-turn-on%2Foff-when-i-turn-on%2Foff-shield-tv%3F#:~:text=SHIELD%20TV%20is%20configured%20by,%26%20Sound%20->%20Power%20Control.

This might help? (Turn off CEC option in settings.. my tv turned off when I turned off shield and vice versa)

• Advertisement

cefh17 wrote: »
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4332/~/why-does-my-tv-or-receiver-turn-on%2Foff-when-i-turn-on%2Foff-shield-tv%3F#:~:text=SHIELD%20TV%20is%20configured%20by,%26%20Sound%20->%20Power%20Control.

This might help? (Turn off CEC option in settings.. my tv turned off when I turned off shield and vice versa)

Thanks makes sense

I have every CEC disabled as I use the Harmony remote

I have the exact opposite. When I turn off the PS4 the Shield turns back on and come up on the TV.

I have the exact opposite. When I turn off the PS4 the Shield turns back on and come up on the TV.

Ah go away?

You haven't a Samsung 7 series TV by any chance

You haven't a Samsung 7 series TV by any chance

Yeah I think it is. A good few years old at this stage.

Yeah I think it is. A good few years old at this stage.

FFS might be the bloody TV so, mine is a 7 series of 4k TV effort, @2 years or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Saw on Reddit and think it's something I can get behind..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FMKTZY8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3PZDZPOPY874V&psc=1

My Shield remote falls onto a hardwood floor and into our pieces (backing and batteries fly) probably at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Basq wrote: »
    Saw on Reddit and think it's something I can get behind..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FMKTZY8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3PZDZPOPY874V&psc=1

My Shield remote falls onto a hardwood floor and into our pieces (backing and batteries fly) probably at least once a week.

Got the same sort of thing off ebay for around €3.50.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224063003505 Really saved the remote when I found it in the dogs mouth the other day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'll pay a bit more to avoid the wait from China.

Advertisement