Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Just for those thicker or as thick as me who has had the pro over a year....double click home button on remote let’s you flick between apps.

Go easy experts, I’m not one of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

irishgeo wrote: »
    Have you checked wifi interference from the neighbours?

Usually you can download app to identify the channels in use around you.
    Reset the shiled in the end and using my "permanet router" as to transmit the litte wifi router via ethernet....so not sure which fix solved the problem but all good now anywasy!

Still having the issue where I have to turn it off sometimes as it interfeares with TV recpetion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anybody have interference issues with their shield?

I have an indoor aerial and when the shield is powered on I get no TV signal.

In using a tiny little router with a three prepay SIM which worked fine in our last temp accommodation but now the shield won't connect to the router all the time, and a lot of the time it's connected but getting no internet. 4G signal is very strong, get speeds of about 127 Mbps at times.

I've ordered a signal booster/4g filter for the TV aerial. My router quite close to the shield, would that cause issues? Can't think of what is going on, two issues could be unrelated but would seem quite a coincidence

My router is 6 inches away from my shield, I’d say it’s your provider or leads probably leads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Very annoying issue, getting the HDCP error on netflix all evening. Hooked up my PC monitor to shield earlier to watch IPTV (to watch soccer & gaa), when I hooked the shield back to the TV it worked fine for few mins then kept switching over to an empty HDMI input and saying no signal.

Got display working after changing the HDMI port it was switching to(still wont work on the old port it was always connected to) but now getting the HDCP error for netflix. IPTV and Youtube are fine. Reset TV and tried 4 different HDMI cables but no luck. Messed around with all the CEC and IR settings but cant get it working.

Anything else I can try before resetting the shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Clear the app data and cache, restart the shield, open Netflix, sign in again and see if it still persists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Very annoying issue, getting the HDCP error on netflix all evening. Hooked up my PC monitor to shield earlier to watch IPTV (to watch soccer & gaa), when I hooked the shield back to the TV it worked fine for few mins then kept switching over to an empty HDMI input and saying no signal.

Got display working after changing the HDMI port it was switching to(still wont work on the old port it was always connected to) but now getting the HDCP error for netflix. IPTV and Youtube are fine. Reset TV and tried 4 different HDMI cables but no luck. Messed around with all the CEC and IR settings but cant get it working.

I think mine is usually fixed by a hard power cycle of the TV but I assume you've already tried that?

xckjoo wrote:
    I think mine is usually fixed by a hard power cycle of the TV but I assume you've already tried that?

Yeah tried that. Found another HDMI cable and tried that this morning with no luck. Tried on 2 PC monitors and same error as well.

Have reset the shield now as well but still getting the same error so seems my shield is bust! :(

banie01 wrote:
    Clear the app data and cache, restart the shield, open Netflix, sign in again and see if it still persists.

Yeah tried that but no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Recent update to RTE Player app seems to have sorted that whole clear cache issue. Not just me right?

Contacted Nvidia on this and they're replacing it for free even though its out of warranty. Cant ask for better customer support than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not having the issue at the moment.

I've always slagged off the player but it's finally usable on the shield. That shortcut to the last 4 apps makes a big difference also.

Anybody know how to install apps from multople google accounts on the shield? I've recently moved back forom UK so have my UK one on it at the minute and added an Irish one in my dads name. This works fine on the phone and can use my UK banking and Irish apps by switiching accoun in play storet. However no change to anything when i switch account on the shield, I can't do it directly in the playstore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Anybody know how to install apps from multople google accounts on the shield? I've recently moved back forom UK so have my UK one on it at the minute and added an Irish one in my dads name. This works fine on the phone and can use my UK banking and Irish apps by switiching accoun in play storet. However no change to anything when i switch account on the shield, I can't do it directly in the playstore.

You can't really, it's tied to one Google account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

You can't really, it's tied to one Google account

Not completely. I realised my son's account was still set up on the Shield as well as my own when he left it here after going back to college.
    There's no simple way of switching, but we have apps on it that both of us have bought.

Might have to ask him what he did, but I don't think either of us did anything on purpose.
    He had his account on it because he was using it for gaming last year.
    This year he brought his PC back up with him as he wasn't going to be going to the pub as much...

niallb wrote: »
    Not completely. I realised my son's account was still set up on the Shield as well as my own when he left it here after going back to college.
    There's no simple way of switching, but we have apps on it that both of us have bought.

Might have to ask him what he did, but I don't think either of us did anything on purpose.
    He had his account on it because he was using it for gaming last year.
    This year he brought his PC back up with him as he wasn't going to be going to the pub as much...
    Do both sets keep updating? I've two accounts on mine but can't seem to get apps on the Irish one

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I have 6 different google accounts from different regions all logged in on my Shield, and have installed region specific apps no problem from each of them - in the play store app just go to the cog icon and you can switch accounts at will. I use a VPN to connect to the specific country prior to swapping accounts when I want to install something new also.
    Apps continue to update fine once initially installed, no need to switch accounts for updates, just the initial install. Its all very painless.

Additional google accounts are easily added to the shield from the “Accounts & Sign In” option at the bottom of the shield settings.

I have 6 different google accounts from different regions all logged in on my Shield, and have installed region specific apps no problem from each of them - in the play store app just go to the cog icon and you can switch accounts at will. I use a VPN to connect to the specific country prior to swapping accounts when I want to install something new also.
    Apps continue to update fine once initially installed, no need to switch accounts for updates, just the initial install. Its all very painless.

Additional google accounts are easily added to the shield from the “Accounts & Sign In” option at the bottom of the shield settings.

Thanks I'll take another look when I was switching accounts that way I still just got all my UK app options, even with using no VPN here in Ireland and using an Irish account.

Edit: yeah got it going now, added my account to the shield and then it was in the play store and could change to it there, not sure what I was doing the profits l previous attempts! Have done a factory reset recently for another issue so maybe that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Discovered today that the Shield remote (setup with IR for my LG TV) also turns off our LED candles - bug or feature? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bug fixes mostly... It's taking hours to update...

• Advertisement

This:
    SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.2.1
    Enhancements
    Adds notification to enable AI-upscaling when upscaling GeForce NOW
    Adds IR power control for projector displays
    Adds IR power/volume control for the following brands: Arris, Atyme, BC Acoustique, Dayton, Kora, Monoprice, ONN, Point Source Acoustics, Savant, Sennheiser, SMSL, Tascam
    Improves system volume levels when audio is routed to USB DAC or Bluetooth headset
    Adds developer option to force HDCP 1.4 compatibility mode (4K protected content will not be available)
    Allows IR power commands sent from SHIELD Remote 2019 when using Alexa skill
    Includes security patches up to Android security bulletin (August 2020)
    Bug Fixes
    AI Scaling:

Resolves issue where AI upscaling would incorrectly detect content as unsupported, requiring a reboot
    Resolves issue where AI upscaling would randomly detect content as unsupported
    [SHIELD TV Pro 2019] Resolves dropped frames when AI upscaling 60fps video when overscan is adjusted
    Display:

Fixes issue where line is visible when using AI upscaling on Prime Video
    Resolves issue where Screen Saver timers were not set properly
    Resolves black screen issue when playing Dolby Vision content and overscan adjusted
    Network/Storage:

Allows special characters in username when accessing SHIELD over network
    Fixes issue when copying >2GB files from Mac to SHIELD 2019
    Fixes issue when connecting to SHIELD over local network when username has a space
    Fixes rare crash bug when mounting network storage to SHIELD
    Fixes bug where connected storage would become inaccessible, requiring reboot to recover
    Accessories:

Fixes bug where IR volume control would stop working when Talkback is enabled
    Fixes “Long Press Menu” functionality for customized menu button
    Resolves issue where configuring IR control might fail when older SHIELD remotes and controllers are paired
    Fixes bug where IR control was still active after factory reset
    Fixes bug where IR control would not be available after changing language to traditional Chinese
    [SHIELD TV 2019] Resolves issue where IR control would stop working, requiring reboot to recover
    [BFGD] Resolves volume and play/pause button press issues on new SHIELD Remote 2019
    Audio:

Improves system volume levels when using USB DAC or bluetooth speakers
    Fixes bug where audio would randomly drop, requiring a reboot to recover
    Resolves issue where manually enabling AC3 in “Available formats” was not working as advertised
    Fixes NETFLIX issue where 5.1 audio would not be available after disconnecting bluetooth speaker
    Fixes bug where volume control notification would show up incorrectly on KODI
    Other:

Fixes bug where SHIELD Experience upgrade would be blocked if accessory battery is low
    Resolves background display issue when exiting settings menu
    [BFGD] Fixes YouTube crash issue
    Fixes alignment issues on “Ok Google” configuration page
    Resolves issue where SHIELD would not show up available as a cast device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I hope they definitely fixed the low audio issue this time. Pain in the hole it was

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

Is anyone encountering issues with Netflix on the Shield? Regurlary when I go to play a show, the loading bar will slowly go up to 25% and freeze. I then have to clear the cache or if that doesn't work, I have to restart the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Barney224 wrote: »
    Is anyone encountering issues with Netflix on the Shield? Regurlary when I go to play a show, the loading bar will slowly go up to 25% and freeze. I then have to clear the cache or if that doesn't work, I have to restart the device.

Yeah, we have experienced that a few times recently, but not in the last week or so. Usually need to power the device off and on again. Even if you attempt to watch Netflix on your phone and chromecast it to the shield, it just triggers the Netflix app to open and you are back to square 1 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Barney224 wrote: »

No hope it’s a one off, I’d reinstall Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did the update last night and had a bit of a panic afterwards. :o

For anyone else reading this who hasn't updated it yet - don't panic thinking you have bricked your shield the "updating to 8.+" and the rolling bar is just an image.

Don't do what I did and sit watching it for twenty five minutes thinking "oh shiït, I've broke it" :pl:cool:

McMurphy wrote: »
    Did the update last night and had a bit of a panic afterwards. :o

For anyone else reading this who hasn't updated it yet - don't panic thinking you have bricked your shield the "updating to 8.+" and the rolling bar is just an image.

Don't do what I did and sit watching it for twenty five minutes thinking "oh shiït, I've broke it" :pl:cool:

I did the same for an hour 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I did the same for an hour 😂

I suspect we're not the only ones, feckin Nvidia trolling us. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I said "feck it", and went to bed. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It happened to me on the last update so I just pressed back, it is quite annoying though

Advertisement