Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Pherekydes wrote: »
    That's brilliant! At first glance you'd hardly notice. Anyone name the missing 7?

American geography not my strong point, but I think Maryland and Kansas are two. And is there two Dakotas? They're both missing.

Edit - actually, Maryland is top right (MD); I just didn't know where it is. Don't see Delaware though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isla Nublar
    Jurassic_Park_-_National_Park_Style_Map_-_16x20_940x.jpg?v=1570207013

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Pherekydes wrote: »
    That's brilliant! At first glance you'd hardly notice. Anyone name the missing 7?
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    Nebraska
    Kansas
    New Mexico
    Pennsylvania
    Delaware

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1boadm9kir921.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AAE1IAM.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hKJRneJ.png

uO8Id2w.png

Schematised River Hydrology of Germany...

https://twitter.com/GrasshopperGeo/status/1337291063468371969

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^ It's almost like East Germany is back!

• Advertisement

Places where you can't fill your car at a petrol station in Oregon.

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=fe6b92d4da52481483898a871928588c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Places where you can't fill your car at a petrol station in Oregon.

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=fe6b92d4da52481483898a871928588c

Nothing has ever prepared me for the utter weirdness of mandatorily having someone "pump my gas" when in the States.

Though,there is a place in or near Dundalk, possibly near the IT that used to do it from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Nothing has ever prepared me for the utter weirdness of mandatorily having someone "pump my gas" when in the States.

Though,there is a place in or near Dundalk, possibly near the IT that used to do it from memory.

What is the reasoning for that?

Qiaonasen wrote: »

I have no real clue. I assumed it was some sort of safety thing. No idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I have no real clue. I assumed it was some sort of safety thing. No idea though.

I'm not sure of the original reasoning, but I think it's remained in Oregon in part due to the huge number of jobs it creates for High School and College age people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Started out after someone got badly burnt, they tried to do away with it in the 90s and realised it employed about 3000 people.

Same situation in New Jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Started out after someone got badly burnt, they tried to do away with it in the 90s and realised it employed about 3000 people.

Same situation in New Jersey

It’s been the law in New Jersey since the 1940s.

Originally lobbying from Esso in NJ to allow them push for “full service” stops where they’d clean windscreens etc, and charge for the pleasure

Safety was the reason offered for it - but was never actually evidenced

Ironically, in the late 90s and early 2000s, Esso were one of the first oil majors to convert significant parts of their networks (before selling them off) to unmanned, automatic sites.

The other extreme is the auto filling hoses that they have which to me are just: 1. the height of laziness 2. Dangerous as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Filling station in Muff this summer had an attendant at the pumps.

I think it was a Covid-measure to prevent contamination via the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

they had a guy at Crookstown in Kildare for a long time, would approach you and offer to pump the petrol. usually worked with women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

josip wrote: »
    Filling station in Muff this summer had an attendant at the pumps.

I think it was a Covid-measure to prevent contamination via the handle.

For Muff drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

sligojoek wrote: »
    For Muff drivers.

Or....https://www.muffdivingclub.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think there are two states in the US where there's an old union that has successfully kept pump attendant as a job by insisting it's an elf and safey issue. Because it's so complicated and dangerous that people just randomly blow themselves up pumping petrol everywhere else, obviously.

gasoline-fight-e1505149447653-610x321.jpg

EDIT: Down to one state (NJ) and one town in New York after Oregon repealed those laws recently.
    https://www.myimprov.com/states-dont-allow-pump-gas/

EDIT to the EDIT: It seems Oregon only temporarily repealed that law in response to covid-19, and it's back in force there. https://www.oregon.gov/osp/programs/sfm/Pages/Self-Service-Rules-Change-FAQs.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think the people interested in this thread would enjoy this YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Every light is a GAA pitch.

EpcdApxVgAAChSr?format=jpg&name=900x900

France and the Netherlands share a border.

795px-Saint-Martin_Island_topographic_map-en.svg.png

The French part is in the EU. Neither are in Schengen.

st.martin.jpg

The island just to the North is Anguilla. It's a British overseas territory.
    It doesn't have an airport and you have to go through French territory to get to the Dutch airport beside Maho beach.

You've seen those pictures of the very low flying airliners.

f490791ead883798f68cc722156aa6c4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was there last year.
    There is no real border, just a sign stating a Welcome/Bienvenue/Wilkommen on the road. The French side is really french, use the Euro, and speak mostly French. The Dutch side is very americanised, mainly English speaking and while they have their own currency, everywhere uses USD - I did not see any guilders the whole time I was there. Didn't go to Anguilla, they use different currency there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nice. But a fair few missing.
    retalivity wrote: »
    I was there last year.
    There is no real border, just a sign stating a Welcome/Bienvenue/Wilkommen on the road. The French side is really french, use the Euro, and speak mostly French. The Dutch side is very americanised, mainly English speaking and while they have their own currency, everywhere uses USD - I did not see any guilders the whole time I was there. Didn't go to Anguilla, they use different currency there again.

Euro surely?

Here's a map of the Caminos. Some small local ones missing but they big and medium sized ones are there. And it only shows a brief glimpse of the ones in France; they also have a huge network of them.

wisepilgrimcaminomap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EpcdApxVgAAChSr?format=jpg&name=900x900

GAA pitch or GAA club? I'm pretty sure its not accurate either way, but note the darklands above in Mordor

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    Here's a map of the Caminos. Some small local ones missing but they big and medium sized ones are there. And it only shows a brief glimpse of the ones in France; they also have a huge network of them.

https://thecaminoprovides.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/wisepilgrimcaminomap.gif
    St James Gate in Dublin is named after the starting point of the pilgrimage Camino de Santiago leading to the shrine of the apostle Saint James the Great in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia.

800px-Ways_of_St._James_in_Europe.png

Advertisement