Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - The Greatest Christmas Song... EVER

• 05-12-2020 9:06am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey y'all, I'm back with a festive edition of Boardsies Decide

giphy.gif

The Greatest Christmas Song....

EVER

bHDuhs.gif

Kicking off at circa 3pm this afternoon, we will be taking you through the greatest - and possibly the worst - Christmas songs of all time.

So whether you like your Stevens Shakin or your Jinglebells Rocked

Your weather outside frightful or all your nights silent

Your Band Aids from the 80s or the Noughties

Or a whole host of Wizzards hanging your stockings on the wall

See you all at 3pm for the prelims!!

8375656641c2cd72045ed48454adf422.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Does my joke entry make the cut?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Of course it does :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Necro wrote: »
    Of course it does :D
    Like I feel bad for laughing at it, given his back-story, but there are some cracking parts to it. In a previous job, after decorating the offices and declaring the winner for the year, we would make Irish coffees and gather around a computer to sing it together. We even had the lyrics printed out.

Can’t do that in the classroom anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

sullivlo wrote: »
    Like I feel bad for laughing at it, given his back-story, but there are some cracking parts to it. In a previous job, after decorating the offices and declaring the winner for the year, we would make Irish coffees and gather around a computer to sing it together. We even had the lyrics printed out.

Can’t do that in the classroom anymore :(

Dead right. Shouldn't be giving kids Irish Coffees.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok so the prelims are all set to go for later today, here's how we'll work em.

4 matches at a time - 30 min time limit with ties being resolved by yours truly.

No songs with multiple nominations will feature in this round of the prelims.

After that we will be down to 74 songs. Songs that have more than one version will be run off at this point to drop us down to as close to 64 as possible.

Then Round 1 will begin and it will be open draw from Round 2 (multi noms will not face each other until then at the earliest)

• Advertisement

Ok so the prelims are all set to go for later today, here's how we'll work em.

4 matches at a time - 30 min time limit with ties being resolved by yours truly.

No songs with multiple nominations will feature in this round of the prelims.

After that we will be down to 74 songs. Songs that have more than one version will be run off at this point to drop us down to as close to 64 as possible.

Then Round 1 will begin and it will be open draw from Round 2 (multi noms will not face each other until then at the earliest)

I hope someone submitted Ronan Keating butchering FTONY. Just so it can be nilled.

I can reveal that Ronan Keating and Moya Brennan 'singing' Fairytale of New York - IS included

:pac:

Under an hour to go folks, Santa hats at the ready please

tenor.gif?itemid=13064152

Under an hour to go folks, Santa hats at the ready please

No one said anything about hats.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47teqxtxezv08o94fcxyo0znzb3skqv6mj070ciyn1&rid=200w.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I have several hats beside me as I 'll no doubt be ****ing a few of them across the room in disgust when the results come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Well there's my plans to be offline for the weekend out the window :pac:

Alright... we ready?

giphy.gif

Match 1

Dean Martin - Let it Snow

VS

Pentatonix - Joy To The World

Match 2

Bon Jovi - Please Come Home

VS

Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime

Match 3

Michael Buble feat. The Puppitini Sisters - Jingle Bells

VS

Bryan Adams - Christmas Time

Match 4

Geraldine McQueen - Once Upon a Christmas Song

VS

Blink-182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard

Dean Martin - Let it Snow VS Pentatonix - Joy To The World
    Bon Jovi - Please Come Home VS Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
    Michael Buble feat. The Puppitini Sisters - Jingle Bells VS Bryan Adams - Christmas Time
    Geraldine McQueen - Once Upon a Christmas Song VS Blink-182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard

30 minute time limit on all matches

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
    abstain from the other 2

Match1 - Dean Martin
    M2 - Paul Mc Cartney
    M3 - Bryan Adams
    M4 - Blink182 (if I must)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bon Jovi - Please Come Home. My PTSD is still triggered to this day from hearing that fcuking Paul McCartney song about 50 times a day when I worked in Dunnes for two successive Christmases.

Michael Buble feat. The Puppitini Sisters - Jingle Bells

Blink-182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard. That's just brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Dean Martin - Let it Snow, a classic
    Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmas time, although I like both of them
    Bryan Adams - Christmas Time, never heard this before but it's nice
    Geraldine McQueen - Once Upon a Christmas Song, not as good as that Bo' Selecta song (which I hope someone nominated) but still fun

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Dean Martin

Abstain on the others.

Dean Martin
    Paul McCartney
    Boobs
    Happy Holidays you Bastard - that's a great one for when the relatives have over stayed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Pentatonix - Joy To The World
    Bon Jovi - Please Come Home
    Bryan Adams - Christmas Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pentatonix - Joy To The World ; love a bit of acapella

Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime ; in fairness has to be in contention for the Top 10 at least

Bryan Adams - Christmas Time ; don't really get the appeal of Mike Bubbles, wouldn't be my cup of tea at all

Blink-182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard ; one of my noms, I did not take the noms seriously, they're all a bit out there, and I don't expect them to do well... ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Blink-182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard ; one of my noms, I did not take the noms seriously, they're all a bit out there, and I don't expect them to do well... ;)

Yeah, I'm expecting a good few first round exits myself.

I feel like this game is going to be very very hard :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zaph wrote: »

Although, Happy Holidays You Bastard is already going down better than I expected, so perhaps there's some hope for some of the novelty taking the piss stuff amidst the sea of cheesy naff cheery sickeningly sweet bullsh*t... :D

one of my noms, I did not take the noms seriously, they're all a bit out there, and I don't expect them to do well... ;)
    Zaph wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure... there are a LOT of entries - that doesn't mean they're any good mind :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

dean
    paul
    bryan

Bon Jovi - Please Come home

Bryan Adams - Christmas Time. He looks like he doesn't have a chair....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I would like a mix of both the last two just to hear what it would be is like... so I will abstain :D

Dean Martin - Let it Snow 8 2 Pentatonix - Joy To The World
    Bon Jovi - Please Come Home 3 6 Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
    Michael Buble feat. The Puppitini Sisters - Jingle Bells 1 6 Bryan Adams - Christmas Time
    Geraldine McQueen - Once Upon a Christmas Song 1 6 Blink-182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard

Jingle Bells has a short stay in the contest, but it's not the end of Mr. Buble just yet...

Strong performances for Dean Martin, Bryan Adams and Blink 182 mind. A little closer between Bon Jovi and Paul but the outcome goes Paul's way.

• Advertisement

Match 5

Taylor Swift - Christmas Tree Farm

VS

Dean Martin - Winter Wonderland

Match 6

Frank Sinatra-Let It Snow!

VS

Mr Hankey - Most Offensive Song Ever

Match 7

The Beach Boys -  Little Saint Nick

VS

RuPaul - Hey Sis, It's Christmas

Match 8

Pearl Jam - Someday at Christmas

VS

Smokie - A Spaceman Came Travelling

Taylor Swift - Christmas Tree Farm VS Dean Martin - Winter Wonderland
    Frank Sinatra-Let It Snow! VS Mr Hankey - Most Offensive Song Ever
    The Beach Boys -  Little Saint Nick VS RuPaul - Hey Sis, It's Christmas
    Pearl Jam - Someday at Christmas VS Smokie - A Spaceman Came Travelling

Dean is already through but how will Frank's version fare....

Advertisement