Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

W/E 6 Dec - Monday
    Run 1hr20 | Slow 9.23m | HRR 58%

I was going to vent about no weekend running. Instead I'll appreciate running 150 miles for November. I'd have happily taken that looking ahead 30 days ago. I introduced regular foam rolling too which helps. The next 30 days are about building the volume and executing a 10k TT.

I also learned my pattern that suited rowing at home any time I liked, doesn't suit running. When Caz works weekends, I can't run. Although the kids are up to a 2km trot around the block. So the likelihood of missing the key workout of the week when its scheduled for Friday is real. I need to get that banked early in the week and build the volume at silly hours when the body refuses to work.

9 slow miles this evening. Over layered. Bit soft out there in the darkness. Keeping HRR <60% "running" uphill, sucks.

Shotgun

W/E Dec 6 - Tuesday
    S&C 18 mins
    Run 1hr26 | 12.58m inc 5x 8min @LT | HRR 83-90%

Probably not advisable to do squats, burpees, lunges etc before a workout but promised Mrs Shotgun I'd keep her company for her session. I found this pretty tough. 40 minutes of LT work, Garmin says it was highly improving V02. At least thats the hardest session of the week out of the way. I took a chance and wore my Boston 7s for this too. Mild again today. Where is this big freeze :confused:

20 mins warm up and into the session. As usual the first rep was all about a shock to the lunges and the legs trying to turn over faster. 8 minutes was a long haul. Even when the mile notified, it was the bones of 2 minutes left. My shoelace opened on rep 2 just as I was getting into it. I had a stitch for a lot of rep 3, needing to stop and take deep breaths. By rep 4 I was worked out but now in a zone. It was the best rep of the set. My shoulders relaxed and the legs felt machine like, turning over, metronome. I got a surprise when I heard the pace in my earphones :eek: It didn't feel that quick. Rep 5 was plagued with GPS jumping around the place, so, despite working hard I don't trust the pace on that one, and subsequently the 4th rep either :rolleyes:

Overall a very solid session. It could be a bit more consistent and I still need to figure out a 10k pace. While it was 40mins of work, I didn't feel like I could string it together. I have a few weeks before I have a go though. The foot held up for this which was pleasing.

5x 8mins @10k (6:20) off 2 mins

Reps | Pace | HRR
    8mins | 6:13 | 87%
    8mins | 6:11 | 88%
    8mins | 6:09 | 89%
    8mins | 5:59 | 89%
    8mins | 6:04 | 90%

Shotgun

W/E Dec 6 - Wednesday
    Run 1hr05 | Steady 8.6m @7:33 | HRR 68-79%
    Mobility 30 mins

Its more of a running log again recently :D Maybe its being at home so much WFM but likely its due to missing so much of the nice running weather this summer, that I'm really enjoying running again. Despite the dark mornings, cold rain and soon to be biting wind. I find myself looking forward to getting the shoes on and out the door the next day.

Running more though, its interesting the body's response. The Kcal burn stops shortly after you stop. I can easily run easy on empty. The hamstrings need constant attention and I'm losing weight again.

This one was an hour with some rolling hilly country miles, focusing on cadence. I set out easy, no intention of stressing the body. However its hard to run easy and keep a fresh cadence simultaneously, at least for me anyway. I guess when I adapt it will simplify. At lower cadence, 160 ish, I lose form and my hips sink, especially on my right side. Its the catalyst for a myriad of injuries I've had over the years. My glutes work harder to fire and I over stride. At 170 it feels a bit lighter, taller and more momentum. Maintaining this turnover on hills or into wind is very much a conscious competence :rolleyes:

Shotgun

W/E Dec 6 - Thursday
    Run 1hr03 | Easy 7.66m @8:08 | HRR 62%
    Row 1hr00 | Easy 13.5k @2:12.5 | HRR 57%

Lunchtime run in the winter sun. I wore a baselayer but a very light one. Straight into a headwind and holy crap it was cold. Into the biting wind all the way into town until I found shelter amongst buildings. Electricians putting lights up on the bridge meant stepping out to dodge traffic. Walker 2 abreast with dog leads on the Condell path meant stepping out into slushy grass. Was briefly mesmerized by a fit girl with a long blond ponytail flowing behind her as she strided out at some pace. I wonder if thats whats like to run past LaineyFreck in the park in the big shmoke. Just easy miles and I was warmed up by the time I got home for another meeting in shorts :D

Energy was lacking for the row later but got it done

W/E Dec 6 - Friday
    Run 1hr01 | Easy 7.66m @7:56 | HRR 64%

Carbon copy of the route from Thursday and roughly the same effort. The wind was stiffer and positively baltic! Much more dodging of shoppers and traffic today, Christmas shopping feel to it. The lads still putting lights up on the bridge, sorting an issue with a dodgy bulb. Not unlike all the ad hoc Christmas tree light assemblers around the country. Passed the same fit blonde who seemed to be on another workout, or she just looks fast. A little fatigue from running every day this week but nothing a good foam roll wont sort. Met Swashbuckler on the Condell path today heading in the opposite direction. Turns out we ran at exactly the same pace today!

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Met Swashbuckler on the Condell path today heading in the opposite direction.

Do you guys ever train together at all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

healy1835 wrote: »
    Do you guys ever train together at all??

We had our first run together right before the pandemic set in and had definitely planned on more before the world turned upside down with 5km limits.

@Swashbuckler we will have to hook up for a run in Jan and discuss whether its Barry's naughty or nice list that got all the awards :D

W/E Dec 6 - Saturday & Sunday
    Sat: Run 1hr27 | 10.58m @8:16 | HRR 61%
    Sun: Run 1hr06 | 8.33m @7:55 | HRR 64%

Finally hit 2,000 miles for the year. It should have been months earlier but ye know what that story is. Many thanks for still reading after all the rowing logs!

Also, last week was 64 miles! Eh, perhaps a bit much to double volume in a week but I had a goal of 40m and promised that every mile over that would be RPE easy. I basically ran everyday. It was lovely running this weekend. Cold, crisp and often still and calm. The lights are finally up along the quays and across the bridge. Its cool to run through the bright lights, out into darkness and back through the lights again on the way home.

I'll approach a similar target this week, cautiously. The foot is still clicking and I'm a little concerned it might flare up. I just need to be disciplined to take days off when its appropriate to rest it. Just one workout planned for this week again and it will be a good one to see if my foot and fitness will hold up to a 10k TT in a few weeks.

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

@Swashbuckler we will have to hook up for a run in Jan and discuss whether its Barry's naughty or nice list that got all the awards :D

Nothing got to do with Barry’s naughty or nice list, up to people to vote to see who wins. Sadly not many yet considering the amount of traffic on the forum.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nothing got to do with Barry’s naughty or nice list, up to people to vote to see who wins. Sadly not many yet considering the amount of traffic on the forum.

I've learned from project management - give people two weeks to complete a task and they'll take 335hrs and 59mins.
    I haven't voted yet coz I want to absorb all the suggestions coming in first!

W/E 13 Dec - Monday & Tuesday
    Mon: Run 1hr11 | 8.31m @8:32 | HRR 54%
    Tue: Run 1hr06 | 9.56m in 4x1m LT, 1m Ez, 1m LT, 5x15s strides | HRR 84-91%

Monday was a nice easy early morning run across town. Foggy and cold but calm. Some parts of this run was so peaceful that I could hear my own foot steps and see my breath. The odd chirp from the resilient birds digging up breakfast. The swans were sleeping on my way out of town and up and stretching on my way back.

Today was a workout. A bloody tough one. I didn't think i had time to execute the planned session this week so I did an in promptu one. After 2 miles easy I got stuck into upper LT effort. The cold air stinging my lungs as I started to gasp. I knew I couldn't hold this effort for a full tempo yet so I gave myself a 20 second breather after each of the next 4 miles. The miles were 6:11, 6:01, 6:12, 6:10 and done on rolling terrain. Holding the effort uphill pushed me into the redzone. With the bones of 25mins hard work banked I eased off for a mile.

Not content with that I pushed mile 8 in 6:15 with the final 3 minutes up a long drag and decent hill. Lungs and legs on fire. I took about a minute to suck in some oxygen and got stuck into the strides. It was the max I could get out of the window and energy I had. Just in the door Mrs Shotgun informed me it was 1pm and handed me a shake, straight onto a meeting. Not the original session I had planned but a good amount of LT work today.

84-91% HRR is about the zone I'd like to be at for the second half of a 10k. The first 5k would need to be 80-85% or I'd burn too many matches.

Shotgun.

• Advertisement

W/E 13 Dec - Wednesday & Thursday
    Wed: Row 1hr easy | 14k | HRR 54%
    Thu: Run 1hr01 easy | 7.38m @8:17 | HRR 64%

Ran today, on what I think was the only hour without rain! At least here in the Southwest. Squeezed it in between meetings. The rain had literally just stopped as I started. A few miles through town sploshing through puddles. Pretty grey day but enjoyable run.

Shotgun

W/E 13 Dec - Friday
    Run 1hr06 | 9.09m @8:18 inc 2m LT | HRR 73-91%

Ran again today....
    Its turning into a habit...
    What do I do? :cool:

Another one squeezed between meetings. Wind and rain and kitted for summer running was I. Legs stiff from sitting down all morning, moved reluctantly. I felt like my stride was short and choppy as I practically shivered my way through the first 7:56 mile. Turned out of the wind and felt a tad warmer. Pressed the next 2 miles in 7:41 and 7:23. My intention was to bank a short 2 miles LT, 10k focused effort.

Got stuck straight in and mile one beeped 6:14. About right but the effort was upper LT. Kept the legs turning over and the arms pumping. Mid way through the next mile I was back into the wind. I leaned in and fought it as though I could push it back. Futility. beep, 6:09. Momentarily satisfied to dig in but knew I had crossed the line. HRR 91% is red zone. At mile 2, I'd be toast if that was a 10k TT. A couple more tempo miles banked but not closer to syncing up with the effort/pace.

Pondering this I kept the legs turning over. The next 3 miles were 7:37, 7:37, 7:37. If only I could lock onto a sub40 10k pace like that :confused: More workouts to do. Meeting cancelled for once so I thankfully had time to shower and eat.

Shotgun

W/E 13 Dec - Saturday & Sunday

Just a solitary 10.8 mile run at the weekend over 90 minutes so it classed as a long run for me. Unfortunately my recurring foot injury let me know it was well, recurring :rolleyes: Not sore or anything, just enough discomfort to let me know to be cautious. I'm lucky to be running and still enjoying it. 2 things that probably brought it to the surface (obviously nothing to do with running 65 miles the previous week, noooo :confused::rolleyes:)

1. Out for a long walk in the woods with the kids on Saturday. Great fun and involved some races to catch the smallies or against my almost 16 year old aspiring rugby player. It took full gas for his old man to not feel so old. I haven't sprinted like that in probably his lifetime :D:eek:

2. I rugby coach a local underage girls tag team. Sunday was a fun day at the club and a "catch the coach" game involved more sprinting with added sidestepping and pivoting on mushy grass :o

Still, 45 miles for the week is not too shabby. There was an hour of rowing on top of that but no S&C. Mrs Shotgun informed me that Dr Google or Facebook or Instagram or something to that effect advised "it takes 12km running to burn off a Terrys Chocolate Orange ball!". About an hour then. "Is that all?" I replied! I no longer feel guilty about eating it in one sitting now :D

My last 28 sessions (22 runs, 6 rows) have been at least an hour :)

And so that brings an end to this log. It was mostly about the sub3 that is now ancient history. It involved too many injuries, a lot of rowing and very few races this year. Not exactly log of the year stuff. However I'm grateful for the interest, input and participation :) I do like this community and I dare say I'll back with shiny new log once I figure out what running really means to me.

Happy Christmas
    Shotgun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I hope you do return with a new log, I enjoy reading your updates!!! Not to mention the knowledge you share :) Have a lovely Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Don’t let the absence be to long M, your writing style is a pleasure to read as is your training. Happy Christmas to you & the shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for all the updates M. One I've enjoyed reading, even if there wasn't as much running as you wished. Looking forward to the new log in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1, I've enjoyed the variety on this log, no doubt the new one will be equally as interesting. Happy Christmas!

Looking forward to Shotgun 2021.

Never realised I had such an interest in rowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

I've really enjoyed following this the short while I've been here, and appreciate all the earlier advice. Hope to see you back!!

...or going < 6m 30s over 2k ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

This already got my vote for Log of the year. Even when you were injured, you were keeping this entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I do like this community and I dare say I'll back with shiny new log once I figure out what running really means to me.

Looking forward to the next one already Mike. I don't know what your athletic future holds for you (you strike me as the sort of person that could try his hand at anything; long distance swimming, mountaineering, rock climbing...you name it!). However, your sub 3 journey to Limerick felt like you were scratching the surface of your potential at the distance and I hope that you're not finished with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work, M, and a great log. Look forward to the next phase.

Advertisement