Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wednesday 28 Oct
    Row 60 mins | Easy 13.4km | HRR 46%

Thursday 29 Oct
    S&C 30 mins | Foam Roller & Mobility
    Run 51 mins | Easy 6.27m @8:11 | HRR 66%
    Row 30 mins | SS 7.4km | HRR 68%

All one session. The legs felt good after rolling them out. Some dynamic mobility movements and I was out into the dark for an easy few miles. Some unlit sections of the route and I should have worn a hi-viz. Straight onto the rower for a half hour sweat. Feeling good. All the soreness from Tuesday gone.

Friday 30 Oct - 2k TT - October A Goal

I was nervous about this. A 2k erg TT is the definitive rowing fitness test. Its a distance you have to execute to your best. A 4 month aerobic base and some recent specific TT pace workouts on top. Now was time to see if I could crack 7 minutes. A sub7 2k erg is one way of saying you are fit and can handle pain.

The plan
    Build 5 strokes to get the stroke rate.
    10 Hard strokes above race pace.
    Transition (not suddenly) to race pace over 5 strokes
    This should have me at 200-250m

The next middle section is crucial.
    Settle to a pace you can hold for 1km without burning up. Consistent pace, consistent rate.

At 700m to go... start turning the screw
    At 500m to go - drop the pace split by 1 sec
    at 300m to go - drop the pace split by 1 sec
    at 100m to go - just go!

Actual
    The target pace was 1:44 per 500m. That would give me a 6:57. I set it up for 200m splits and after a 20 minute warm up with some builds at pace, I got stuck in.

First 15 hard strokes at 1:38. The power and the adrenaline is there. 200m splits as the first split was my key to back off and transition to race pace. The risk was if I could control it I would burn matches too soon.

The next split was at 400m and by now I needed to be into my rhythm. Calmed down, pushing the legs and relaxing to a long stroke. I practiced this pace in 500m and 1k workouts at a little lower rate 26-28 to work on power. At 31spm I settled at 1:43.0 and sat rock solid on this for 800m at 91% HRR.

This was the point to start turning the screw, if I had paced it right. For the next 3 200m splits I tightened it, 1:41, 1:40, 1:39... and teh effort clilmbed 93%, 94%, 95%...

I was now counting every 10 strokes but I knew I had it if I could hold on. 200m to go and although it feels like I have no more, I push again. Now the legs start to give. The lactic is taking over and fighting back. I hold it for 10 more strokes at 1:36. 100m to go and I start to fade. I put up a fight to hold it at 1:39 for the last strokes and finally finish with 6:44.3!! :eek:

Absolutely pumped by that.

It tops any TT I've done running or rowing this year. I put the training in and could not have executed any better. It was a negative split and I only started to fade 5 strokes from the finish. Sub7 baby, fit I am :D

Delighted to put that one away. November will be more of a running focus with a 10k TT, injury recovery dependent, to see where I am at. November rowing switches to distance and a long standing goal of a sub 3 marathon.

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Chapeau! In great nick Mike. Roll on the HM :)

Week Review
    Simple week but significant in that I managed 5 runs :) Hit the volume target of 30 miles too. Had to do 10 miles in sunshine and 4 miles in the rain over the weekend to complete that. Delighted to go sub7 on the 2k erg too. All in all a good simple week hotting the objectives. I did eat an awful lot of Halloween related crap though. I foam rolled a couple of times this week before sessions and it felt good.

Last week activities: Overall 9hrs 59mins
    Row (5) sessions | 3hrs 15mins | 47km
    Run (5) sessions | 4hr 52mins | 31 miles
    S&C (2) sessions | 50mins
    Yoga/Mobility (2) sessions | 1hr

Week Ahead
    40 miles running
    100k rowing
    2 hours S&C
    1 hour accessories - foam roller, mobility

Shotgun

Another week begins, more darkness but its not all gloomy. In it you can find calm, stillness and that feeling of being chilly to start only for the blood flow to warm you up and loosen you out.

Monday 2 Nov
    Row 60 mins | 13.7km | HRR 49%
    Run 61 mins | 7.67m @8:03 | HRR 61%

Simple day. An hour rowing easy and an hour running easy later. The run was infinitely more enjoyable, despite the darkness. The moon was out and there was a stillness to the air. A brief respite from the deluge of recent wind and rain. My only objective was run, and keep a lid on it. I did one of the usual route starts into town and onto the bank. The Shannon looked like black glass reflecting the streetlights. A tight bevy of swans were stretching their enormous wings magnificently illuminated under the glow of one of the lights.

I entered Arthurs Quay park and had to run through a dimly lit foreboding group of hooded lads sculling cans of sorts. I thought about taking a wide berth but stood up and kept my stride. Nothing to worry about, a couple of wobbly cheers. From the exit of the park I rounded the corner to the Hunt Museum. I usually cross the bridge to the Cathedral and continue around by the Castle, one of my favourite attractions. Instead I crossed the road and headed out the riverbank toward Corbally. I haven't run this route in the dark before, albeit well lit up with path lights. The stillness of the dark trees and the empty trail made for a very pleasant few miles. I eventually emerged back into suburbia. The opposite end of my hometown. Just a straight couple of miles home then, but I couldn't resist the detour around the castle and down the opposite side of the river. Usually wonderful culinary smells coming from the Curragower restaurant but due to this damn pandemic, not this evening.

I turned back over the bride flanked by boathouses to run up the main street home. I noticed all the Christmas lights for Limerick city are already in place. Not switched on yet but I already look forward to this same run when they are.

Shotgun

Tuesday 3 Nov - Workout Day
    Row 23 mins | 6km | HRR 65-89%
    Strength 20 mins | Cindy | AMRAP (As many rounds as possible)
    Run 51 mins | 5m Progression @8min-6:35 | HRR 67-84%
    Accessories 20mins | Tabata Abs, Foam Roller

The strength workout was same as a week ago. 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats.. as many rounds as possible in 20 mins. I struggled on the push ups again which slowed me right down. Thought I was behind but finished with 13 rounds +9 reps, or 300 reps total.
    70 pull ups
    134 push ups
    195 squats

Next time I'll break up the push ups earlier rather than deal with failure after 5 or 6 rounds. Also, the 6k row warm up was a tad hard.

Later I headed out for a run. 6 miles with a mile easy and pressed onto 2 miles tempo over the next 2 miles. 6:51 and 6:35 for those and the foot felt fine happy days. Its not completely better, I feel it in the mornings on tiles but running more regularly now is progress! I hit the mat for some ab work (the burn!) and foam rolling afterwards to finish feeling good. The thing about the ab work is its pointless unless I discipline the diet. No matter how many times I ask Caz to hide the crap, I sniff it out. Last year the 4 months before the sub3 was the most disciplined I've been in that respect so I need to take a leaf out of that book!

Shotgun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

The thing about the ab work is its pointless unless I discipline the diet. No matter how many times I ask Caz to hide the crap, I sniff it out. Last year the 4 months before the sub3 was the most disciplined I've been in that respect so I need to take a leaf out of that book!

Shotgun

I'm pretty similar! Wherever the s*#"e is I'll find it in the house. I think that the lockdown and the extra time that a lot of us are spending at home makes a healthy diet harder to maintain. Hopefully when races are back on the agenda, it'll ger easier!

Wednesday 4 Nov
    Run 40 mins |4.78m @8:28 | HRR 61%

Simple run update. A concise window within a 12 hour work day. I needed the fresh chilly air and wanted to keep going but must appreciate the opportunities as they come. Getting my ass out of bed in time to run, shower, prep breakfast and get my little girl to school for 8am would help :rolleyes: It means I need to be finished training by 7am. A routine I had before but struggling right now. Too used to 8 hours sleep! The highlight of the highlight of the run was seeing so many other runners out and avoiding the temptation to latch onto one as they passed me.

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've noticed a pretty significant difference since abandoning all early morning runs..Mightnt be the worst thing in the the world for you.

I've noticed a pretty significant difference since abandoning all early morning runs..Mightnt be the worst thing in the the world for you.

Interesting, what is the significant difference? Early morning doesn't seem to bother Lambay or D Kearns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Interesting, what is the significant difference? Early morning doesn't seem to bother Lambay or D Kearns

I'm recovering better from the sessions and long runs. I'm also feeling better on the days where I'm not running a session before the kids wake up. My body just takes a while to wake up. Running in the "later" part of the morning or in the evening definitely suits me better physically

• Advertisement

I felt like last week was a waste but I still banked 9 hours and 37 miles, highest mileage since May! Likely due to life getting in the way at the weekend, in a good way. Running more now means rowing less but I'll still hold onto it. I intend to make the S&C more than just a token 1-2 weekly.

A new week with simple objectives
    Run 40 miles
    Do a long MP focused row
    More S&C

Monday 9 Nov
    Row 60 mins | Easy 13.4k | HRR 50%
    S&C 17 mins | 50-40-30-20-10-20-30-40-50 Ladder

50 sit ups
    40 kettlebell lunges
    30 dumbbell snatches
    20 pull ups
    10 burpees
    Then back up the ladder. It was not "for time" so I did each movement a bit more deliberately slowly. The sit ups were rubbish, engaging more of my hip flexors than core. Everything else was quality.

Tuesday 10 Nov
    Run 1hr04 | Steady 8.61m @7:24 | HRR 68-79%
    Row 30 mins | Steady 7,591m | HRR 65-76%

The mini streak recently, 7 days in a row, was likely a bit much for the foot. I felt an ominous click over the weekend to remind me to be cautious. A couple of days rest and I was feeling much better. This run included some lovely sunny running as I feel kinda miles in the countryside. It ended up as a mile easy, 10k at 7:15 and a mile easy. A good steady effort, pressing hills and cadence. The leaves are starting to melt and dark it is.

Work was busy for a few hours and by the time I collected the kids, did homework and fed them I was peckish myself. I'm not one that can train straight after a meal so I hopped on the erg for a short steady half hour. The energy was not there so I found the steady state tougher than expected.

Shotgun

Thursday 12 Nov
    Run 1hr05 | Easy 8.14m @8:11 | HRR 61%

Just a run today. Easy midday meandering miles in a chilly breeze. Plenty of energy after a day off yesterday. The last of the leaves already falling, leaving wet red carpets on trails. The trail behind my house is a special little half mile loop. First thought I had was that I'll happily loop it for short recovery runs in future. Today it was one loop and into town. Came across Swashbuckler on the Condell path. He was dressed for running in a blizzard so it was last second I recognised him.

For the rest of the run I had a think about running objectives. The last one I had before I got injured was a sub40 10k. Feels like a reasonable goal to end a strange year. 7 weeks to achieve 10k at 6:20 pace. How hard can it be?

Shotgun

Friday the 13th.. workout day or do I dare!
    Run 1hr05 | 4x4min LT | HRR 81-89%

Right so. Firstly, finished this and ran all the way home. Secondly it was good and I felt great after it. Lastly, I can pace myself on the rower as I have immediate feedback every stroke. For running workouts however, much I have to learn about pacing. As usual went off too hot on these reps only to try to correct and not finding a rhythm. It was windy so on a square Industrial Estate loop one side was more effort than the other. The effort felt like 10k or what I imagine it to be. I haven't done a 10k in 8 years!

Workout: 4x4min @6:20 off 2mins easy

Reps | Pace | HRR
    4mins | 6:12 | 77-88%
    4mins | 6:13 | 79-88%
    4mins | 6:09 | 81-89%
    4mins | 6:12 | 81-89%

Overall the full Lactate Threshold spectrum 81-89% so good 10k practice. The pace however was a bit quicker than target and not one at this point I feel I could hold for 10k. Thats the challenge though. More to come. Very happy to bank this first workout. 8.6m total.

Shotgun

Saturday 14 Nov
    Long Run 1hr45 | 13m @8:06 | HRR 61-73%

Had to be done before herself left for work. Thankfully it was also before the wind and rain arrived. Longest run, timewise, in 6 months. The highlight was running through UL and over the eerily quiet living bridge, when a swan flew across my path at full length no more than 10ft in front of me. Awesome majestic sight as daylight began to stretch. I picked it up just on cadence for the last 4 miles.

The bursa in my left foot was clicking all day. Not painful but I felt rest was required. 38 miles done for the week over 4 runs, same as last week but with a workout included. I was tempted today to run a few miles just to hit the weekly goal of 40m. Instead went for a long walk and played rugby with the kids. I haven't rowed in a few days after straining my lower back. Overall a pretty low volume week at just 7hrs.

Next week
    5-6 runs including a 10k focused workout
    Long row - the marathon pushing out to Xmas to give me a chance to string some long rows together.

Shotgun

W/E 22 Nov - Monday
    Row 60 mins | 14.6km (2:03.1) | HRR 59%
    S&C 20 mins

I had intended a run but I had, still have, a right shin splint that I can barely painfully roll. All from kicking a rugby ball on Sunday. An hour easy on the rower instead at a sub3 marathon pace. Just need to hold it for another 2 hours in a few weeks, how hard can it be?

Afterwards my daughter wanted to hang off the pull up bar. After a family "hang tough" session I did a quick set of
    5x Strict pull ups to fail with 1 min rest - 20, 4, 7, 7, 8 = 46 total
    5x Push ups to fail with 1 min rest - 31, 14, 13, 11, 11 = 80 total
    90 sec hang from the bar
    90 sec plank

Firstly I was happy to hit 20 pull ups. Last time I went to fail I could do 17. The last 2 reps though were all in. The 60 secs passed in a blink and I barely managed 4. I sort of recovered a little after that for the next round. Doing push ups straight after felt a little masochistic. For the 5th go at those I felt I couldn't do one more, let alone go to fail again. My shoulders and arms burned. What I learned was that going to fail 10 times in 15 minutes leaves you a little light headed.

Shotgun

W/E 22 Nov - Tuesday
    Run 60 min | 6.8m @8:49 | HRR 57%
    S&C 20 min

Up to end of June this year I covered 1,500 miles. I was on track for 3k. Since the injury then, I've managed just 300 miles in 5 months. Total 1,885m for the year. Just a little consistency for 2k by Xmas.

Needed to get out for air after a long day WFH. Realised I had an errand to run, so I ran it. Roughly 30min out and back. Mostly into a dark stiff wind out and sailed home. Very easy effort as the shin splint still bothering me.

Some S&C after it. Simple 2 rounds of 20
    Pull ups, DB snatches, push ups, reverse lunges, box jumps, burpees, squats and some core. Grand session but shin too sore to roll out. Opted for ice instead

Shotgun

W/E 22 Nov - Wednesday
    Run 1hr08 | Easy 8,77m @7:50 | HRR 64%
    Row 1hr00 | Steady 15.1k @1:58.9 | HRR 69-89%

The run was grand apart from the p!ssing rain. An early one for a change, doing my pre run mobility outside the door sleepily before 6am. As usual the first mile was awful. Everything felt tight and sluggish. It was even darker with the clouds and rain. I had a hi-viz on but kept to the town and lights. The pace felt sluggish too but I was registering 8min miles so the engine was running. It was just hard to warm up. I took a loop around Hyde Road and the quays, leaving the run up town under the Christmas lights to the end as a sort of reward.

Later after a days work and the usual kids shenanigans, I hopped on the rower for a steady hour. I was labouring for it for the first 30 minutes. I wanted to do 15k and it would normally be a steady but not LT effort. I stopped for a drink and a breather but gave out to myself for not seeing it through. Back on to get it done, needing a near 19min 5k to pull in the 15k finish. The effort to do so climbed through the LT zone. I finished knocking on the door of the red zone and panting. I was tired starting and hadn't hydrated during the day sufficiently. A feed and early to bed it was.

Shotgun

W/E 22 Nov - Thursday
    Run 1hr00 | Steady 8.13m @7:24 | HRR 69-79%

"Just" a run again today. An hour sandwiched into a 64 minute window that I also need to eat something before logging back in. I had more time but got caught "available" by a VP that needed 5 minutes :rolleyes: 10 minutes later I dashed up the stairs, gear on and cut the mobility outside the door in half. Ooh, nippy, but lovely. Noticed I had my next meeting in 65 minutes. My goal was 8 miles but also to run easy so I agreed with myself to scale it back. 30 minutes out and back was the max I could squeeze in.

Set out and instead of focusing on "easy" which invariable leads to a plodding cadence, I focused on cadence itself. I usually run at 160-164 for all but "work" reps. Usually the first mile is warm up and slow and awkward, however having a "deadline" got me right into a stride. Glanced at the watch and switched to cadence. It was in the 170s, focus needed but not over stretching. 7:44 for the first mile. Fresh start.

Went for a straight out and back. Lovely chilly sunny afternoon. Plenty out walking and running along the river. The miles were ticking by comfortably with the fresher than usual cadence. I had 7 miles in mind but the miles were 7:30s or better. Hit 4 miles bang on 30:00 and turned around. Right, just maintain 7:30s and I'll be home in time to grab something and log back in. HRR was low 70% now but the cadence was still good and I felt good. Even dialing it back a little on the final long hill, the last 4 miles average was 7:17.

No time for a shower. Grabbed a shake, nuked some leftover dinner and logged in very happy to grab that window and get it done :)

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I saw Nick Symmonds attempt these on his YouTube channel.

The US army physical fitness test:
    2 minutes - as many push ups as you can do
    2 minutes - as many sit ups are you can do
    2 mile run

https://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/fitness-and-nutrition/exercise.html

If you click on "my score" you can enter what you got. I haven't tried it myself yet but intend to at some point. S&C for me has slipped since working from home. I'd expect a score of 300 from you at this stage :D

Then there's the US marine tests which are more difficult to achieve a high score on. There's rowing in there too I believe -
    https://www.fitness.marines.mil/Portals/211/FitnessCalc/calc.html

On the Marine Fitness Test - for my age
    300 points with the pull ups and row option:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

On the Marine Fitness Test - for my age
    300 points with the pull ups and row option:D

Brilliant. Have to start calling you Sergeant Shotgun!

Here was Symmond's having a crack at it. I'd have done the pull ups with my arms the other way around -

Brilliant. Have to start calling you Sergeant Shotgun!

Here was Symmond's having a crack at it. I'd have done the pull ups with my arms the other way around -

Holy crap Ryan Hall got into some shape, at a cost of running fitness!

Lol 😆
    I can do the 20 pull ups in one go just about. Its taken me the whole summer to get to that. But within 2 mins I could do 4x 5 reps with short rests.

Push ups target harder. I got 67 of 72 reps.

The crunches are another story. Keeping going for 2mins is not the issue. Its doing them fast enough. Its nearly 1 per second. I gave it a go to be sure and just made 105 for my age. It was torture to keep the pace up and I was using my hip flexor as much as my lower abs.

The row 19:15 is a steady effort for 100pts. I'd need 18:50 for the run 5k though which is much tougher for me.

Might be an interesting Boards winter challenge!

W/E Nov 22 - Sunday
    Run 1hr15 | 6x4min LT | HRR 80-89%

A bit frustrating the week didn't pan out as planned. A couple of days of nauseating vertigo almost made a waste of the weekend. Alas coaching rugby on Sunday morning in the chilly sunshine, I felt better. Better enough to run later. I just had to decide what to do. I missed the workout Friday, long run and long row. Just 29k rowing for the week won't help a marathon attempt but I have time to get that back, the base is there. The sub40 10k TT is much tougher ask for where I am with running so I felt doing the workout would be the best option.

I ran the last hour of daylight which is always enjoyable, though not the break of dawn hour. 2 steady miles up to the Industrial Estate. Little wind this time so no excuse for pacing. From the numbers below, it would seem I hit the paces but it was not a good workout. It felt good in that I got 24 minutes of "work" done, progress on last week. The recoveries for the first 3-4 reps were pretty good too. However too much of the reps were either too fast or too slow. I just don't have a feel for 10k effort or 6:20 pace yet. I think I need to set the watch up different to give me average rep pace to control things.

I'll do better this week!
    34 miles total for the week. Not great but at least its consistent.

Workout: 6x4min @6:20 off 2mins easy

Reps | Pace | HRR
    4mins | 6:13 | 82%
    4mins | 6:07 | 82%
    4mins | 6:16 | 84%
    4mins | 6:18 | 84%
    4mins | 6:08 | 84%
    4mins | 6:12 | 84%

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Up to end of June this year I covered 1,500 miles. I was on track for 3k. Since the injury then, I've managed just 300 miles in 5 months.

This resonates. I can write: Up to the end of June this year I covered 1230 miles. I was on track for 2450. Since the injury then, I've managed just 165 miles in 5 months.

It's good to see you getting back into it. Your determination gives me inspiration. I'll be happy to see the back of 2020.

Hey outforarun - injuries sure do suck. Perhaps a good thing that we didn't have events looming over us to add pressure to "get back" asap. The best thing about have the time is getting a consistent focus back on S&C

W/E Nov 29 - Monday
    Run 1hr08 | Easy 8.18m @8:23 | HRR 57%
    S&C 46 mins | Skipping, rowing, plyometrics
    Row 1hr00 | Easy 13.3k @2:15.0 | HRR 50%

Another early am run. Getting at least on per week out early. Need more than that to create a habit. Thing is I'm a bit of a book worm. Once I start one I need to finish at least the chapter. Just finished all the Harry Potters and reading Artemis by Andy Weir. Nice to read more adult content after 3,500 pages of Hogwarts! I tend to switch off my phone and read before sleep. Anyway out for 6am for an easy peaceful trot around a pitch dark countryside.

For these easiest of easy runs, I use only HRR as a guide but mainly run on feel and breathing. The highlight of the run was the start of daybreak. Just a crack in the night sky, waking up the dawn chorus.

Lunchtime was 10 minutes of skipping, 10 minutes rower, pull ups, chin ups, press ups, dumbbell snatch, burpees, box jumps, plank walks, side planks, hollow rocks, hollow arch all done with Caz. She is suitably sore today :)

Later in the evening an hour easy on the rower again. Various stroke rates to keep it somewhat interesting. The rain was pelting off the windows beside me making me happy I chose to run first today!

Shotgun

W/E Nov 29 - Tuesday
    Row 1hr15 | Easy 18k | HRR 60%

It was a bit late after a long work day. By the time the kids were in bed I was hungry and ate. Thing is I can row soon after eating but not run. So, a row it was. 75mins easy while Caz did a webinar. Then watched the GBBO final. Thought the general standard was lower than previous years but still not happy about Lotte getting booted out. Body ok after the row. Balancing rowing and running is challenging for the energy. Once the marathon is done I'll scale it back, the rowing that is. Still a bit cautious building running volume as the bursa in the left foot is still there, despite no pain.

Jealous of all out running this cracking cold calm morning.

Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Another early am run. Getting at least on per week out early. Need more than that to create a habit. Thing is I'm a bit of a book worm. Once I start one I need to finish at least the chapter. Just finished all the Harry Potters and reading Artemis by Andy Weir. Nice to read more adult content after 3,500 pages of Hogwarts! I tend to switch off my phone and read before sleep. Anyway out for 6am for an easy peaceful trot around a pitch dark countryside.

I recommend JK Rowling's detective series written under Robert Galbraith if you enjoyed the Potter series! And written for adults :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I recommend JK Rowling's detective series written under Robert Galbraith if you enjoyed the Potter series! And written for adults :)

Thanks! I have the first 4 on kindle and the new hardback 800pg beast waiting. My wife is on book 2 but is a fast reader (Too fast, I often wonder if she reads all the lines :confused:). Once she gets to Troubled Blood, I'll start the series :)

W/E 29 Nov - Wednesday
    Run 1hr02 | Steady 8.67m @7:12 | HRR 70-88%
    Mobility 20 mins - Foam roller, stretches

Received the DCM Virtual medal today and a set of arm warmers with a cut out for your thumb. Never been so meh about a medal but the arm warmers was a nice surprise and I'll try them out for sure.

The run nearly didn't happen. Cosy Christmas tree house after work. Kids in the bath, a stew in the oven. I felt mentally exhausted. My watch need a charge too. The excuses were stacking up until I opened the door. Not as cold as expected due to near calm. Set off with tunes in my ear. When a beat comes on that I can match my cadence its a good perk to maintain the cadence focus.

Opted for a simple out and back through town and to inject a little light work. After the body warmed up I pressed the cadence for 2 miles keeping the effort high aerobic but not 10k (LT). 6:57 and 6:46 felt in around half marathon effort. How far I've fallen from the fitness last year. Not gloomy though, I definitely feel strong under the hood. The base is ok, its just layering some consistent volume and some work on top. 2 miles easier but still steady after that then 2 more tempo miles in 6:46, 6:39. The effort climbed into mid LT zone this time. I always seem to register a slightly higher HRR with cold air in my lungs. It felt good to hold "a pace" for longer stints and will see if I can advance the LT session reps later this week.

The stew after this cold steady state run was just awesome, and glad I was to get out the door and get it done :D

Shotgun

• Advertisement

W/E 29 Nov - Friday
    Run 1hr18 | 9.46m @8:14 | HRR 59%

Easy one this evening and another run only update. Brrr cold out there. Good to see all the new Covid runners are still running. Bit of a crazier work Friday than usual to cap a crazy week. Happy to get the easy miles done. Foot is clicking since and I'm dubious about a workout tomorrow.
    Kids in a LLTS stupor now. Till next time.

Shotgun

Advertisement