Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gogglebox Ireland

Comments

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would even analyse a light hearted programme and try to pick any issues with it. It's fun, it wouldn't even enter my head to find an agenda with it, honestly either I'm away with the fairies or some people find fault with everything, maybe they're right and I'm oblivious , I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would even analyse a light hearted programme and try to pick any issues with it. It's fun, it wouldn't even enter my head to find an agenda with it, honestly either I'm away with the fairies or some people find fault with everything, maybe they're right and I'm oblivious , I don't get it.

If it was even fun I might not have an issue with it.
    Not one interesting person on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Rodin wrote: »
    Black people over-represented.
    Where are the Polish?
    Don't see any disable people.
    Don't see any middle class people.

Where are the conservative opinions? One show was about Donald Trump. To a person every one of the sheep rolled their eyes and regurgitated some negative opinion they heard in the liberal media here.

I know a lot of Poles and spend times in homes of Poles, not one of them have Irish TV, so unless you want a show with TVP, then Poles aren't going to appear much on an Irish Googlebox. I do like "Farmer looking for a Wife" though on TVP, quite entertaining, even if I can't understand all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

Don't watch it then, other channels are available.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No some people just find fault with absolutely everything.

They could win the lotto tonight and they'd be moaning that the office is further than 5km away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yet here you are on a Saturday, using your free time to complain on an internet forum about a tv show you don't like :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If you picked a completely random 10 people /
    families to appear on gogglebox Ireland odds are you'd have 9 white people born and bred in Ireland and 1 other.
    There's a 90% chance the 1 other would be white.
    1 in 100 people in Ireland are not white.
    So minorities are well represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Couldn't really care less what demographics are represented or not represented, as long as the main point of the viewers/contestants being interesting is catered for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's a very powerful black lobby. You'd even think they were the largest minority in the US given the media coverage.... of course they're not.

Jesus Christ. That's the heart of your problem really, there's black people in it. Probably have a problem with black people in Ireland altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

I only watched this for the first time recently and I'm addicted. Really funny and pretty much all the families are brilliant. I've laughed out loud at this more than anything on tv in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There are PLENTY of middle class people in Ireland.
    They're the ones that pay for everything.
    There's more to tax than income tax. A lot more....
    Many but not all. And only because someone else has told them he is.

You're right, not all people in Ireiand reckon that Trump is a twat. But the majority do, and Googlebox isn't supposed to be a politically representative sample. This isn't a panel on a political show. They've picked people for other reasons, and this is what they've ended up with.

Do you reckon it's all some big conspiracy where they picked those people mainly because they don't like Trump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Over-represented.
    I don't see any Asians either..

There's a very powerful black lobby. You'd even think they were the largest minority in the US given the media coverage.... of course they're not.

I can only think of one black family on the show, and the black girl from Tallaght, where is this 'over representation'? - Maybe no Asians or Polish applied to be on the show? Why specifically Polish btw? There's plenty of people here from all across Europe why would you single out the Polish?

If you don't like the show, why are you spending so much time in thread specifically about the show? seems a bit silly tbh, I don't enter threads about programs I dislike just to have a moan, pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can we not watch a tv show for what it is anymore instead of bringing all this other ****e into it who cares where there from as long as the show is enjoyable which it is

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

fin12 wrote: »
    You can not care what others think and not have to plaster ur intimate personal details on national tv, do they actually think anyone wants to hear what goes on between the pair of them behind closed doors. If anything it shows how immature they are.

I agree, about that couple in particular. One of them (I think it’s Dale, the one who’s on the left as you look at the screen) always manages to get some reference/joke about their intimate life into it, it’s unnecessary and way too try hard.

Similarly, I find the Saunders family irritating. The oldest son seems very dumb, whether that’s an act or not is hard to know, but they all react as if he’s hilarious, when he’s anything but.

On the other hand, the Ryans, the Gruffertys, Aine & Deirdre all seem like decent, genuine people. The Cabra girls are very entertaining, I really like David & John and the twins are good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Not the first time someone has complained about black people on the show and the supposed ill-treatment of Trump. Not an entirely surprising correlation...

Sorry I think ur a bit confused, if this is thread is to go anything there are trump supporters so therefore their views should be represented on a program that is suppose to reflect the views of the people of Ireland and it’s not just trump , any one who is against rte and in favor with them , they won’t view the opposite opinions of that either. R u so naive to not see the nanny state right in front of u.

There's more to tax than income tax. A lot more....

You're right, not all people in Ireiand reckon that Trump is a twat. But the majority do, and Googlebox isn't supposed to be a politically representative sample. This isn't a panel on a political show. They've picked people for other reasons, and this is what they've ended up with.

Do you reckon it's all some big conspiracy where they picked those people mainly because they don't like Trump?

R u thick? The show is obviously censored..

I agree, about that couple in particular. One of them (I think it’s Dale, the one who’s on the left as you look at the screen) always manages to get some reference/joke about their intimate life into it, it’s unnecessary and way too try hard.

Similarly, I find the Saunders family irritating. The oldest son seems very dumb, whether that’s an act or not is hard to know, but they all react as if he’s hilarious, when he’s anything but.

On the other hand, the Ryans, the Gruffertys, Aine & Deirdre all seem like decent, genuine people. The Cabra girls are very entertaining, I really like David & John and the twins are good too.

Just goes to show we all have different opinion, yours is neither right nor wrong, just like anyone else's. I find the Cabra girls painful, they do my head in, the Grufferttys have started to annoy me a bit too - the daughter seems the most sensible of them, the Dad has just gotten so melodramatic and it seems forced. Whereas the family with the 3 lads are at least lightly entertaining, maybe the one who asks the silly questions is playing up a bit? who cares? he seems comfortable within the family and I don't see their laughing at him as anything derogatory

It's not a political show by any means, I don't know why people are upset that it seemed anti Trump as it was merely a few jabs at him by some of them, Lord knows that clown has made enough jabs at others and very publically too [got himself banned from twitter at one point which was hilarious] ... I'd actually be more worried if it was in any way pro for the plonker

Sorry I think ur a bit confused, if this is thread is to go anything there are trump supporters so therefore their views should be represented on a program that is suppose to reflect the views of the people of Ireland and it’s not just trump , any one who is against rte and in favor with them , they won’t view the opposite opinions of that either. R u so naive to not see the nanny state right in front of u.

U been drinkin d cans 2nite?

• Advertisement

If we are not allowed to talk about the English Gogglebox , which runs parallel, often reviews the same programmes so is kinda amusing to see the Irish reaction vs the English one.

Can we please have a ban on discussing American politics it has absolutely nothing to do with the show. If I wanted to hear about the pros and cons of Trump I'd head to the current affairs forum. If your political views are different than the participants in the show, that's fine, but the majority of us are tuning in for a giggle not a political debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There are PLENTY of middle class people in Ireland.
    They're the ones that pay for everything.

Anyone who works must be middle class so

U been drinkin d cans 2nite?

So pathetic. I can guarantee u of any one of the gogglebox stars said oh I hope trump wins and gets voted back in, do u actually think they would air that?

Drinking a few cans would definitely be a better time spent then trying to educate a fool like u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Definitely my favourites on the show, they've always been good though even when there was a better overall cast.

Wasn't sure about the family with the 3 sons at first [the family with the ex-copper dad] but they can be funny too, the mother is coming out of her shell a bit and one of the sons is hilarious with the dumb questions he asks :D

If I was to vote a couple households off, now that the season is over, I'd go with the dry Galways couple [she does my head in more than he does, he seems to at least try] and the couple from Tallaght [boxer shorts dude]

Yes I don't mind them either now

If we are not allowed to talk about the English Gogglebox , which runs parallel, often reviews the same programmes so is kinda amusing to see the Irish reaction vs the English one.

Can we please have a ban on discussing American politics it has absolutely nothing to do with the show. If I wanted to hear about the pros and cons of Trump I'd head to the current affairs forum. If your political views are different than the participants in the show, that's fine, but the majority of us are tuning in for a giggle not a political debate.

I wasn't aware we couldn't talk about the UK one! I've mentioned it numerous times in here, I prefer it to the irish one tbh but mostly because I've been watching it from start - which was a few year before the irish version

Agree on the politics though, no political talk of any kind, not just US

So pathetic. I can guarantee u of any one of the gogglebox stars said oh I hope trump wins and gets voted back in, do u actually think they would air that?

Drinking a few cans would definitely be a better time spent then trying to educate a fool like u.

Can we drop the Trump BS? honestly, nobody really cares that much, there's political threads on here if it's your thing

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware we couldn't talk about the UK one! I've mentioned it numerous times in here, I prefer it to the irish one tbh but mostly because I've been watching it from start - which was a few year before the irish version

Another poster requested it as there is a uk Gogglebox thread too, but it's not overly active ( as we all use this one).

Personally, talking about both in this thread never bothered me. It's a 4 year old thread with only 2,000 posts so not like it's a fast moving thread. Though I might be biased as I've talked about the uk one too.

The politics however, and the tin foil hat censorship comments are killing this thread in my opinion , a hell of a lot more than talking about Giles and Mary in the UK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

You are right. The illuminati are clearly Virgin media producers hell bent on brainwashing our minds with their woke, Liberal lefty agenda. Wake up sheeple!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Just goes to show we all have different opinion, yours is neither right nor wrong, just like anyone else's. I find the Cabra girls painful, they do my head in, the Grufferttys have started to annoy me a bit too - the daughter seems the most sensible of them, the Dad has just gotten so melodramatic and it seems forced. Whereas the family with the 3 lads are at least lightly entertaining, maybe the one who asks the silly questions is playing up a bit? who cares? he seems comfortable within the family and I don't see their laughing at him as anything derogatory

I’m aware my opinion is neither right nor wrong, just like anyone else’s ... not sure why you felt the need to point that out?

I don’t think the family laughing at the lad’s dumb questions is derogatory, it just makes me wonder if they’re all equally dumb, if that’s what they find funny, or are they reacting that way for the cameras, or to reinforce a view of him as a funny character, that’s all, but in any event I find them quite irritating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: keep things civil. If you can't be friendly in your response, consider not posting at all to this thread.

Can we drop the Trump BS? honestly, nobody really cares that much, there's political threads on here if it's your thing

My point is the show is censored/ edited in favour of their own political views rte/ virgin media, the piece on trump is proving my point, last year it was Peter Casey.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

Another poster requested it as there is a uk Gogglebox thread too, but it's not overly active ( as we all use this one).

Personally, talking about both in this thread never bothered me. It's a 4 year old thread with only 2,000 posts so not like it's a fast moving thread. Though I might be biased as I've talked about the uk one too.

The politics however, and the tin foil hat censorship comments are killing this thread in my opinion , a hell of a lot more than talking about Giles and Mary in the UK!

Think it was me who mentioned about the UK talk in here. As I don't watch the UK one anymore, and this is the 'Gogglebox Ireland' thread, I personally find it a bit annoying having to skim over posts I feel are irrelevant to this thread. As far as I can see people don't even attempt to put the UK talk in the designated thread. But maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't annoy others, but in that case maybe the thread should be renamed to encompass both shows? Idk, doesn't bother me that much, but maybe others feel the same.

My point is the show is censored/ edited in favour of their own political views rte/ virgin media, the piece on trump is proving my point, last year it was Peter Casey.

Do you think we're all sheep? I couldn't care less what is shown on it or what the participants opinions are, it's hardly going to sway the viewers own opinions, it's light hearted entertainment, in saying that I've never met a trump supporter irl but I'm old enough to know what people say in public and what they actually think can be very different.

Think it was me who mentioned about the UK talk in here. As I don't watch the UK one anymore, and this is the 'Gogglebox Ireland' thread, I personally find it a bit annoying having to skim over posts I feel are irrelevant to this thread. As far as I can see people don't even attempt to put the UK talk in the designated thread. But maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't annoy others, but in that case maybe the thread should be renamed to encompass both shows? Idk, doesn't bother me that much, but maybe others feel the same.

I would rather it be just a 'Gogglebox' thread as there's a bit more to discuss that way. They both show much the same programs each week. Don't mind if we just stick to the Irish one, should be a light hearted thread either way

Any update on the girl who was sick from the earlier series family, she was on with her dad and sister, the dad had glasses, I can't remember their names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any update on the girl who was sick from the earlier series family, she was on with her dad and sister, the dad had glasses, I can't remember their names

Was that the girl with anorexia ??
    Heard her on the radio a number of weeks back, she seemed happy and confident of getting things back together..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

R u thick? Says the Trump supporter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Find the British normal version much better than the Irish version too, there seems to be more thought put into the critiques of the British viewers, whereas the Irish people largely just play it safe with groupthink soundbites
    , I prefer it to the irish one tbh but mostly because I've been watching it from start - which was a few year before the irish version
    I've been watching the British one from the start too, and it has gone waaay downhill. The Irish one started off a bit dodgy but it's definitely superior now.

Jenny and Lee from Hull often seem to stage something 'hilarious', although Dale and Dawn on the Irish one may be heading that way too. Sophie and her brother Pete too.

What I hate about the British one is the way they stick with one programme week after week, and dedicate at least 10 minutes to it each week. For example, they almost showed the whole of Line Of Duty in the last series (I think)! I used to fast forward because I wasn't interested..."Have they finished talking about it?...No!". Continue with the fast-forwarding...

4Ad wrote: »
    Was that the girl with anorexia ??
    Heard her on the radio a number of weeks back, she seemed happy and confident of getting things back together..

That's good, find an article

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/gogglebox-ireland-star-opens-up-22518074

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Christmas special will air 9th of December at 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The Christmas special is going to be Irish families living abroad
    Should be a laugh which is badly needed with all this misery lately
    I’m watching the Irish U.K. and Australian from start to finish again, funny stuff

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’m watching the Irish U.K. and Australian from start to finish again, funny stuff

Hi - where would I find the OZ version? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

English version is a far superior show for some reason, much better content, characters and editing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Danick wrote: »
    Hi - where would I find the OZ version? Thanks

it is available to view online, i cant link as it is frowned upon to discuss on boards

google is your friend

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »

I am not keen on the Irish abroad so far and no Cavan twins or John and David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

The Irish abroad are trying too hard especially the three down under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That last bit was a load of shíte anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I am not keen on the Irish abroad so far and no Cavan twins or John and David

Very dull!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

deisemum wrote: »
    The Irish abroad are trying too hard especially the three down under.

Yeah,the three in Auckland are painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Yeah,the three in Auckland are painful

Are they a threesome?

Advertisement