Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gogglebox Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rodin wrote: »
    I don't know who selects these people.

They're all awful.

Not very representative of Ireland at all either.

What is representative of Ireland then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd say they're fairly representative, she's quite annoying and he's a little dim.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Black people over-represented.
    Where are the Polish?
    Don't see any disable people.
    Don't see any middle class people.

Where are the conservative opinions? One show was about Donald Trump. To a person every one of the sheep rolled their eyes and regurgitated some negative opinion they heard in the liberal media here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where are the Polish?

Where are the conservative opinions? One show was about Donald Trump. To a person every one of the sheep rolled their eyes and regurgitated some negative opinion they heard in the liberal media here.

I’m fairly sure we had a polish/eastern European couple in series one.
    Also their was a disabled guy into for a few seasons.
    Well we do live in Ireland and the whole middle class thing really isn’t a thing here. If we had a middle class in Ireland would be considered the Ryan’s in Limerick, the Galway couple, the Kilkenny family, the Castleknock Ladies(didn’t appear this series) or do you mean very posh?

Regarding Trump. Well it is an Entertainment show and not a debate/political show.
    However in my experience Trump doesn’t have a massive fan base in Ireland. Even the people I know who have no times for the gays, abortion, etc. Think he’s a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where are the Polish?

There was a gent in a power wheelchair in the last series. He didn't seem to add a whole lot. Not all disabilities are visible btw.

No middle class? What would you call the ex-Garda family? Or the mum with the two boys in Limerick? Or the mum with adult daughter in north Dublin? Or the Galway teacher/farmer young couple? Or the Cavan twins?

You're really clutching at straws rather than face the reality that most Irish people reckon that Trump is a dick.

• Advertisement

There was a gent in a power wheelchair in the last series. He didn't seem to add a whole lot. Not all disabilities are visible btw.

No middle class? What would you call the ex-Garda family? Or the mum with the two boys in Limerick? Or the mum with adult daughter in north Dublin? Or the Galway teacher/farmer young couple? Or the Cavan twins?

You're really clutching at straws rather than face the reality that most Irish people reckon that Trump is a dick.

Many but not all. And only because someone else has told them he is.

I’m fairly sure we had a polish/eastern European couple in series one.
    Also their was a disabled guy into for a few seasons.
    Well we do live in Ireland and the whole middle class thing really isn’t a thing here. If we had a middle class in Ireland would be considered the Ryan’s in Limerick, the Galway couple, the Kilkenny family, the Castleknock Ladies(didn’t appear this series) or do you mean very posh?

Regarding Trump. Well it is an Entertainment show and not a debate/political show.
    However in my experience Trump doesn’t have a massive fan base in Ireland. Even the people I know who have no times for the gays, abortion, etc. Think he’s a fool.

There are PLENTY of middle class people in Ireland.
    They're the ones that pay for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well then the Ryan’s, Cavan twins, Kilkenny family, Galway couple, etc all work and pay for everything. Even some of the people who you considered to below you on the show work and pay taxes.
    Get over yourself!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not the first time someone has complained about black people on the show and the supposed ill-treatment of Trump. Not an entirely surprising correlation...

Not the first time someone has complained about black people on the show and the supposed ill-treatment of Trump. Not an entirely surprising correlation...

Over-represented.
    I don't see any Asians either..

There's a very powerful black lobby. You'd even think they were the largest minority in the US given the media coverage.... of course they're not.

• Advertisement

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would even analyse a light hearted programme and try to pick any issues with it. It's fun, it wouldn't even enter my head to find an agenda with it, honestly either I'm away with the fairies or some people find fault with everything, maybe they're right and I'm oblivious , I don't get it.

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would even analyse a light hearted programme and try to pick any issues with it. It's fun, it wouldn't even enter my head to find an agenda with it, honestly either I'm away with the fairies or some people find fault with everything, maybe they're right and I'm oblivious , I don't get it.

If it was even fun I might not have an issue with it.
    Not one interesting person on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Where are the Polish?

I know a lot of Poles and spend times in homes of Poles, not one of them have Irish TV, so unless you want a show with TVP, then Poles aren't going to appear much on an Irish Googlebox. I do like "Farmer looking for a Wife" though on TVP, quite entertaining, even if I can't understand all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Don't watch it then, other channels are available.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No some people just find fault with absolutely everything.

They could win the lotto tonight and they'd be moaning that the office is further than 5km away.

Yet here you are on a Saturday, using your free time to complain on an internet forum about a tv show you don't like :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If you picked a completely random 10 people /
    families to appear on gogglebox Ireland odds are you'd have 9 white people born and bred in Ireland and 1 other.
    There's a 90% chance the 1 other would be white.
    1 in 100 people in Ireland are not white.
    So minorities are well represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Couldn't really care less what demographics are represented or not represented, as long as the main point of the viewers/contestants being interesting is catered for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's a very powerful black lobby. You'd even think they were the largest minority in the US given the media coverage.... of course they're not.

Jesus Christ. That's the heart of your problem really, there's black people in it. Probably have a problem with black people in Ireland altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Archeron

I only watched this for the first time recently and I'm addicted. Really funny and pretty much all the families are brilliant. I've laughed out loud at this more than anything on tv in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's more to tax than income tax. A lot more....
    Many but not all. And only because someone else has told them he is.

You're right, not all people in Ireiand reckon that Trump is a twat. But the majority do, and Googlebox isn't supposed to be a politically representative sample. This isn't a panel on a political show. They've picked people for other reasons, and this is what they've ended up with.

Do you reckon it's all some big conspiracy where they picked those people mainly because they don't like Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Over-represented.
    I don't see any Asians either..

I can only think of one black family on the show, and the black girl from Tallaght, where is this 'over representation'? - Maybe no Asians or Polish applied to be on the show? Why specifically Polish btw? There's plenty of people here from all across Europe why would you single out the Polish?

If you don't like the show, why are you spending so much time in thread specifically about the show? seems a bit silly tbh, I don't enter threads about programs I dislike just to have a moan, pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can we not watch a tv show for what it is anymore instead of bringing all this other ****e into it who cares where there from as long as the show is enjoyable which it is

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

fin12 wrote: »
    You can not care what others think and not have to plaster ur intimate personal details on national tv, do they actually think anyone wants to hear what goes on between the pair of them behind closed doors. If anything it shows how immature they are.

I agree, about that couple in particular. One of them (I think it’s Dale, the one who’s on the left as you look at the screen) always manages to get some reference/joke about their intimate life into it, it’s unnecessary and way too try hard.

Similarly, I find the Saunders family irritating. The oldest son seems very dumb, whether that’s an act or not is hard to know, but they all react as if he’s hilarious, when he’s anything but.

On the other hand, the Ryans, the Gruffertys, Aine & Deirdre all seem like decent, genuine people. The Cabra girls are very entertaining, I really like David & John and the twins are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sorry I think ur a bit confused, if this is thread is to go anything there are trump supporters so therefore their views should be represented on a program that is suppose to reflect the views of the people of Ireland and it’s not just trump , any one who is against rte and in favor with them , they won’t view the opposite opinions of that either. R u so naive to not see the nanny state right in front of u.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There's more to tax than income tax. A lot more....

You're right, not all people in Ireiand reckon that Trump is a twat. But the majority do, and Googlebox isn't supposed to be a politically representative sample. This isn't a panel on a political show. They've picked people for other reasons, and this is what they've ended up with.

Do you reckon it's all some big conspiracy where they picked those people mainly because they don't like Trump?

R u thick? The show is obviously censored..

I agree, about that couple in particular. One of them (I think it’s Dale, the one who’s on the left as you look at the screen) always manages to get some reference/joke about their intimate life into it, it’s unnecessary and way too try hard.

Similarly, I find the Saunders family irritating. The oldest son seems very dumb, whether that’s an act or not is hard to know, but they all react as if he’s hilarious, when he’s anything but.

On the other hand, the Ryans, the Gruffertys, Aine & Deirdre all seem like decent, genuine people. The Cabra girls are very entertaining, I really like David & John and the twins are good too.

Just goes to show we all have different opinion, yours is neither right nor wrong, just like anyone else's. I find the Cabra girls painful, they do my head in, the Grufferttys have started to annoy me a bit too - the daughter seems the most sensible of them, the Dad has just gotten so melodramatic and it seems forced. Whereas the family with the 3 lads are at least lightly entertaining, maybe the one who asks the silly questions is playing up a bit? who cares? he seems comfortable within the family and I don't see their laughing at him as anything derogatory

R u thick? The show is obviously censored..

It's not a political show by any means, I don't know why people are upset that it seemed anti Trump as it was merely a few jabs at him by some of them, Lord knows that clown has made enough jabs at others and very publically too [got himself banned from twitter at one point which was hilarious] ... I'd actually be more worried if it was in any way pro for the plonker

Sorry I think ur a bit confused, if this is thread is to go anything there are trump supporters so therefore their views should be represented on a program that is suppose to reflect the views of the people of Ireland and it’s not just trump , any one who is against rte and in favor with them , they won’t view the opposite opinions of that either. R u so naive to not see the nanny state right in front of u.

U been drinkin d cans 2nite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If we are not allowed to talk about the English Gogglebox , which runs parallel, often reviews the same programmes so is kinda amusing to see the Irish reaction vs the English one.

Can we please have a ban on discussing American politics it has absolutely nothing to do with the show. If I wanted to hear about the pros and cons of Trump I'd head to the current affairs forum. If your political views are different than the participants in the show, that's fine, but the majority of us are tuning in for a giggle not a political debate.

Advertisement