Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

The health minister on TV last night was saying that the UK approval is for emergency use and that every batch of vaccine they get must be checked for quality, whereas he said the EU approval is for a different kind of authorisation for general use. Presumably if true this is why the EMA will take a little longer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Does anyone know how these new RNA vaccines actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

NaFirinne wrote: »

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

Fascinating stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Moderna have sent in some interim longitudal data from phase 1 about the vaccine's durability:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195

The graphs are looking quite good to me, the RBD ELISA values are rock solid. There are some decliners in the various neutralization assays but overall it's looking rather good to me.

This bit from their submission is rather interesting:
    At day 119, the binding and neutralizing GMTs exceeded the median GMTs in a panel of 41 controls who were convalescing from Covid-19, with a median of 34 days since diagnosis (range, 23 to 54).

It's cautiously hinting at the vaccine providing a better immune response than a wild type infection, with the caveat that the cellular responses are still being investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Why does Fauci say that?
    If the EMA or FDA are going to approve the Pfizer vaccine anyway, where's the problem to have it approved a couple of week earlier?

It was a bad idea to come out with that after UK approval

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not an expert, but in simple terms RNA is a delivery mechanism for vaccines to help your body recognise the virus and respond to it.

In the past vaccines have often been either viruses with the dangerous element deactivated, or have been very mild versions of real virus.

The Oxford vaccine is delivered on the back of another mild virus. This is newish technology but has been used in Ebola vaccines which are working well.

mRNA is simpler still. The vaccine makers study the virus, identify the small bit which is important for the immune system to recognise, and then sends your body a blueprint of what that piece looks like. Your body generates small amounts from this blueprint, and your immune system recognises it as foreign and learn to defeat it. It's very simple technology ultimately, but it needed a few breakthroughs. They hope the same technology can be used to train your body to recognise cancers in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mRNA (messenger RNA) is a sequence of genes with instructions for ribosomes in your cells to make a certain protein. In the case of the vaccine, the "spike protein" that the virus uses to enter cells. This triggers the immune system to create antibodies against the spike protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Can we, for love of all that is holy, stop sending RTE traffic?

The Irish Times is a great resource if you want to keep it Irish

And, although it's not Irish, the Guardian website is superb

It is a bit tiresome reading stuff in the IT, having read it a week before in the Guardian. Esp. when paying for the IT and the app. has no search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that president elect Joe Biden and Obama, Bush and Clinton are going to get inoculated on camera to help ease peoples fears of the vaccine safety.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And as far as I understand it, the scope with mRNA vaccines is enormous. Not just for infectious diseases, but a very powerful tool in fighting cancer. I suspect that in the future when this pandemic is looked back on, the acceleration of mRNA vaccine technology will be viewed as a major positive to come out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This must be the questionnaire that I referred to earlier. There were two - ECDC and HSC, we didn't respond to the latter.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/Overview-of-EU_EEA-UK-vaccination-deployment-plans.pdf
    On 16 November 2020, the Health Security and Vaccination unit of the EC’s Directorate-General for Health and
    Food Safety sent a survey using the EU Survey online tool to Members of the HSC for an update on EU Member
    States’ implementation of the Commission Communication on Preparedness for COVID-19 Vaccination Strategies
    and Vaccine Deployment. The survey included a total of 18 closed and open-ended questions on technical and
    logistical aspects of country vaccine deployment plans
    Twenty five of 27 EU Member States responded to the HSC survey (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechia, Croatia,
    Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the
    Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden).

I have only very quickly skimmed through the linked document - as we didn't respond to the HSC questionnaire there appear to be fewer details in the document regarding our preparations compared to other countries. Some alarm bells going off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but in simple terms RNA is a delivery mechanism for vaccines to help your body recognise the virus and respond to it.

In the past vaccines have often been either viruses with the dangerous element deactivated, or have been very mild versions of real virus.

The Oxford vaccine is delivered on the back of another mild virus. This is newish technology but has been used in Ebola vaccines which are working well.

mRNA is simpler still. The vaccine makers study the virus, identify the small bit which is important for the immune system to recognise, and then sends your body a blueprint of what that piece looks like. Your body generates small amounts from this blueprint, and your immune system recognises it as foreign and learn to defeat it. It's very simple technology ultimately, but it needed a few breakthroughs. They hope the same technology can be used to train your body to recognise cancers in the future.
    Stark wrote: »
    mRNA (messenger RNA) is a sequence of genes with instructions for ribosomes in your cells to make a certain protein. In the case of the vaccine, the "spike protein" that the virus uses to enter cells. This triggers the immune system to create antibodies against the spike protein.

Understanding how it works is key for me ....being my paranoid self when I see things like RNA - I automatically wonder is this similar to genetic engineering and I guess having to trust the companies that it's not going to alter my cells in a negative way, so while they can generate the antibodies it doesn't stop them from performing all there other functions or possibly make the body even more suseptible to the next virus that comes out.

So for me to get the reassurance I need to try an understand a more about the technology I guess and how it works.

They way you describe it there is sounds like a great technology to be utilised as long as it's not abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see that president elect Joe Biden and Obama, Bush and Clinton are going to get inoculated on camera to help ease peoples fears of the vaccine safety.

I see they left out himself

I think it'd be good to get him on board though as his supporters will definitely be mostly ant-vaxxers. They just seem to have that kind of intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Pasteur. wrote: »
    It was a bad idea to come out with that after UK approval

Fauci or me?
    Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I see they left out himself

I think it'd be good to get him on board though as his supporters will definitely be mostly ant-vaxxers. They just seem to have that kind of intelligence

Are they going to vaccinate people who have already had it?

Micky 32 wrote: »

How do we know that it isn't just a saline solution? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,134 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This article gives a great understanding of the history of the discovery of mRNA tech:
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/the-story-of-mrna-how-a-once-dismissed-idea-became-a-leading-technology-in-the-covid-vaccine-race/

Katalan Kariko is a great bet for a Nobel Prize for Chemistry, if any bookie would give you odds.

Are they going to vaccinate people who have already had it?

Do you mean "people who have already had the covid"?

From an Italian newspaper, which most of users of Boards do not trust much
    https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/2020/12/03/news/ippolito-chi-ha-avuto-il-covid-non-deve-vaccinarsi-1.39614023

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you mean "people who have already had the covid"?

From an Italian newspaper, which most of users of Boards do not trust much
    https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/2020/12/03/news/ippolito-chi-ha-avuto-il-covid-non-deve-vaccinarsi-1.39614023
    Using Google Translate the gist seems to be that they will not be considered initially and that they will need to look at the level of antibodies first. Nothing startling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Africa finally doing widescale trial of common drugs for COVID but they are starting with hydroxychloroquine.
    Now, researchers on the continent are mounting a large effort to try to answer a crucial question that has gotten relatively little attention: Could cheap, widely available drugs prevent patients with mild illness from becoming severely sick?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/first-its-kind-african-trial-tests-common-drugs-prevent-severe-covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Interesting that Fauci in America said Britain rushed the vaccine approval and he then says the FDA is the best in the world.

Americans worse than the Brits for hyping their own country.
    Even more interesting that he's now backtracking.

BBC are now report that he says the UK will do "really well" with the vaccine.

A certain Trumpian ring to that "really well".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55177948

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Realizes the error

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

The UK approving first makes him look bad. Second in the US is seen as no better than last. He is concerned about his own image not about the ‘rushed’ approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Understanding how it works is key for me ....being my paranoid self when I see things like RNA - I automatically wonder is this similar to genetic engineering and I guess having to trust the companies that it's not going to alter my cells in a negative way, so while they can generate the antibodies it doesn't stop them from performing all there other functions or possibly make the body even more suseptible to the next virus that comes out.

So for me to get the reassurance I need to try an understand a more about the technology I guess and how it works.

They way you describe it there is sounds like a great technology to be utilised as long as it's not abused.

Why would it be abused? That sounds like extremely paranoid thinking tbh. Easier ways for someone to poison you if that's their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Realizes the error

faux pas, not an error in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

How do we know that it isn't just a saline solution? :D
    We can scan for the micro-chip afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Those freezers don't look very big. I wonder how many vials they can hold? Anyway, great to see movement. Hopefully, we'll have authorisation from EMA sooner than planned, and we can start roll-out before Christmas!

Those freezers don't look very big. I wonder how many vials they can hold? Anyway, great to see movement. Hopefully, we'll have authorisation from EMA sooner than planned, and we can start roll-out before Christmas!

Can hold 200,000 doses, so for our population and with regular supply should be fine. We should be aiming for 20,000 - 30,000 vaccines a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

They're only needed for the Pfizer/BNT vaccine. We're getting up to 3 million doses of it, the freezers can hold nearly more than half of that. I sincerely doubt there will be a need for all of them at any given point in time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement