Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

1874 wrote: »
    No, was added to your account
    The sly dogs. I suppose if they had asked people for it up front they would have been told to whistle for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The sly dogs. I suppose if they had asked people for it up front they would have been told to whistle for it.

Ahh, feck that nobody ever paid any of those things, just let the account go dormant and get the brother to open a new one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Now and again xtravision would have an amnesty.

The fines would be forgiven if you just returned and started renting again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Queing up to buy Ryanair tickets from their office in Dublin

Racist jokes in the playground.

• Advertisement

Racist jokes in the playground.

Yea, Paddy Irishman, Paddy Englishman, Paddy Scotsman, go to heaven, are in a pub, etc.harmless fun really.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yea, Paddy Irishman, Paddy Englishman, Paddy Scotsman, go to heaven, are in a pub, etc.harmless fun really.
    Those too but there were also the n*gger and paki jokes.
    A lot of it was from comedians like Bernard Manning and Roy Chubby Brown I reckon. Kids would probably be watching them on TV with their parents and then coming to school to repeat the jokes.

But now that you mention the Paddy jokes, why was Paddy Irishman always the dimwit? Why were we slagging ourselves.. I never understood it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,321 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A lot of it was from comedians like Bernard Manning and Roy Chubby Brown I reckon. Kids would probably be watching them on TV with their parents and then coming to school to repeat the jokes.

But now that you mention the Paddy jokes, why was Paddy Irishman always the dimwit? Why were we slagging ourselves.. I never understood it :confused:

they were kerryman jokes when I was growing up

No I never heard or used words like paki in school, probably after my time, I'd get a deserved clip round the ear from the father or mother anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Never asked how it was spelt but isn't Paki or is it Packy a shortened Irish name. Confused me when I first moved here.

Edit> Google tells me Packy is sort for Patrick, but not heard it used for a long time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Never asked how it was spelt but isn't Paki or is it Packy a shortened Irish name. Confused me when I first moved here.

Edit> Google tells me Packy is sort for Patrick, but not heard it used for a long time.

Packie Bonner

CoBo55 wrote: »
    No I never heard or used words like paki in school, probably after my time, I'd get a deserved clip round the ear from the father or mother anyway..

we didnt have anybody we could use it to.

we didnt have anybody we could use it to.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very few transgender people coming out

Concorde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This brings me back to the late eighties when my parents retired in Scotland and I moved back with them to live in Ireland. For the month that's in it now. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Young Alan Hughes in that ad

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

I cant believe its not butter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This brings me back to the late eighties when my parents retired in Scotland and I moved back with them to live in Ireland. For the month that's in it now. :)

A phone box along a road in the arsehole of nowhere. Now there is a sight I haven't seen in a long time

TV tests cards

• Advertisement

A phone box along a road in the arsehole of nowhere. Now there is a sight I haven't seen in a long time
    And not smashed up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

And not smashed up either.

They all smelled of p!ss.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭blackbox

The Angelus on TV every evening at 6pm.

OMG They still do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cushtie wrote: »
    Another one in our local. Was when the phone would ring the girl Inside the bar would ask "who is here?" before she answered it.

My mother tracked me down on my 21st birthday by ringing up multiple pubs in the town
    I had forgotten she had booked a family meal elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Getting a Telecom Eireann callcard with 50 units on it and feeling like a millionaire.

Bins collected by the Council with no bin charges or limits on weight and your Dad threw the binmen a few quid at Christmas for a few pints.

blackbox wrote: »
    The Angelus on TV every evening at 6pm.

OMG They still do it!

Without the religious imagery, though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Getting a Telecom Eireann callcard with 50 units on it and feeling like a millionaire.

Bins collected by the Council with no bin charges or limits on weight and your Dad threw the binmen a few quid at Christmas for a few pints.
    ..or strapped a naggin of whiskey to the bin.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The heavy,clunking noise the phone made when you inserted the card

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A note from your granny to buy 20 Major cigarettes for her in the local shop

These days Aldi would request ID from a 40 year old buying a bottle of wine !

My son, when aged 12 was refused service in Aldi buying chocolate because I wasn't by his side! He had cash and I was within eye sight in the store.
    As an independent lad, he was offended. I wrote a complaint to customer service but they defended their policy.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,202 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wrote a complaint to customer service but they defended their policy.

Aldis customer care will never, ever go against what a store manager has said/done/decided.

If their store managers didn't include the occasional utter moron that might be a good thing (support your staff, etc) but as they do have said morons; and their customer care staff quote Scottish law (CS are in Scotland) or just make "laws" up whenever they want to its exceptionally useless.

Advertisement