Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbonara sauce is a scam

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Soya cream and lardons
    Creaaaaaam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The guacamole will take the edge off.

This is all sounding a bit risky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

PsychoPete wrote: »
    This is all sounding a bit risky

Nah it's grand. The Easi Singles really help emulsify the sauce and thicken it up so that it coats the rice properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

46 Long wrote: »
    Nah it's grand. The Easi Singles really help emulsify the sauce and thicken it up so that it coats the rice properly.

Look at you and your fancy pre sliced cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Be sure to leave the plastic on the easi-eingles for extra sauce texture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dacelonid wrote: »
    If you want to learn to make carbonara properly, here is a brilliant (and funny) recipe

"do what you want with the spare whites, f*ckin throw 'em over a rainbow if you'd like"

I legit almost fell of my chair and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Oohh nice adaptation there with the rice. You do realise that means it's not authentic carbonara though right? The rest of your ingredients are spot on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Students use it. And Uncle Bens jarred filth.

Oh and because I can't see one person has said this, no cream in carbonara sauce.

Interesting......

On a different topic, should we be putting cream in a carbonara sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Ah poor ol Paolo Tullio, miss hearing that guy on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Morathi wrote: »
    Interesting......

On a different topic, should we be putting cream in a carbonara sauce?

Yes, clotted cream if you have some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Porklife wrote: »
    My mom was quite the Nigella Lawson in her day. She used to make spaghetti and meatballs for us as kids by mixing a can of Campbells meatballs and a tin of heinz spaghetti together.
    Such a perfectionist, she wouldn't dream of putting cream in carbonara.
    Bellisimo!!

Did she strain off the sauce from the spaghetti first? If she didn't you really missed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Neyite wrote: »
    No joke, I once saw online a "recipe" for a doughnut stack cake. The author had a blog and shared the picture of her creation and was begged for the recipe so finally went into a pages long spiel of unrelated guff before you scroll down to the very end for the recipe.

It's a bit complicated so follow the instructions carefully:

Ingredients:
    • 24 Krispy Kreme assorted doughnuts.
    • Cake stand.
    Method:
    • Arrange doughnuts in a conical stack.
    • Serve.

Sounds like Sandra Lee’s infamous Kwanzaa cake:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chst can no one get traditional recipes right these days!

It pronounced 'carbanana'. The ingredients are not hard to figure out ffs ...

Heres some I made recently...

LpnlQUz.jpg

No cream needed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Absolute nonsense! It's from the cream of mushroom soup.

:)

That used to the basis of a handy pasta dish I used to make some years ago. Fry some onions and garlic, add a tin of cream of mushroom soup, cooked ham, some mushrooms, peas and serve over pasta. It was quick to make and nice to eat, even if your average Italian would probably have recoiled from it in horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Tails142 wrote: »
    Ah poor ol Paolo Tullio, miss hearing that guy on the radio

Definitely. He was so nice to listen to and so wise on his subject. We did get a laugh out of him one day when he was on Moncrieff following what must must have been a "heavy lunch" and sounded like he could barely get the words out. After the break, Moncrieff announced that Paolo was "feeling a bit unwell" and had "gone for a lie down".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Would I have enough in a litre of cream?

"Carbonara" is actually comes from the Italian "car", meaning "cream", and "bonara", which is a unit of measurement roughly equivalent to a gallon.

Better to get a second litre, just to be on the safe side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Yes there's no cream in Carbonara.

However its not a dish of ancient origins. Some think its a 1940s dish due to rations. So i suppose its more acceptable to tinkering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's a high energy dish intended for miners, so really no need for this snobbery.
    Cream, mushrooms, anything can go if you like it, it's still carbonara.
    Just like the american style pizza we usually get in Europe is still pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭LeBash

Tork wrote: »
    https://www.tomdoorley.com/recipe-of-the-week/3g5451qwr96560jpvysksrvxrhnnvp

Paolo (Tullio) ...reserved a special scorn for carbonara made with cream. In his book Paolo Tullio Cooks Italian he writes of this simple dish with a kind of missionary zeal (but is a bit hazy on quantities).

So, the day after Paolo died, I decided to make his version of spaghetti carbonara, taking careful measurements as I went along. So, now I can share Paolo’s recipe in a fairly easy-to-use way.

Paolo died at 65. Its probably best not to follow his diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well I discoverd pasta bake sauce is piss easy:

400g tinned peeled tomoatos
    Large onion thinly sliced
    2 garlic gloves
    Chily flakes
    Tsp of sugar
    Simmer for 20 mins
    Mix in 6 tbsp of mascarpone

(Feel free to add whatever bits your want e.g sweetcorn, herbs, seasoning etc etc)

That's it. Then add to cooked pasta and chicken or tuna, top with cheese and bake for 20 mins. Now look at Tesco's list of ingredients:

Tomato Purée (72%), Tomatoes (10%), Rapeseed Oil, Onion Purée (4.5%), Sugar, Basil (1%), Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Dehydrated Cheese (Milk), Concentrated Lemon Juice (contains Sulphites), Garlic Purée, Egg Yolk Powder, Flavourings (contains Celery, Milk), Ground Black Pepper, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Lactose (Milk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Anyone catch that gogglebox episode on RTE 1 few weeks back

Mary Berry on BBC was making what she thought was Irish Stew - A full jar of Chutney she she put in it , what ever that is...!

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fry pancetta lardons in a little olive oil with some crushed garlic cloves, remove garlic, take pan off heat. Drop just cooked pasta into pan with some cooking water. Allow a minute to cool a bit. Add 4 beaten egg yolks onto pasta and stir, add grated parmesan, black pepper, a little chopped parsley.

Most important part is making sure the pan is not too hot when the egg yolks go in so they dont scramble.

Easiest and best pasta.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fry pancetta lardons in a little olive oil with some crushed garlic cloves, remove garlic, take pan off heat. Drop just cooked pasta into pan with some cooking water. Allow a minute to cool a bit. Add 4 beaten egg yolks onto pasta and stir, add grated parmesan, black pepper, a little chopped parsley.

Most important part is making sure the pan is not too hot when the egg yolks go in so they dont scramble.

Easiest and best pasta.

Is it not like eating raw egg yolk then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is it not like eating raw egg yolk then?

There should be enough heat in the pasta to cook the egg yolk. They dont need much cooking - consider a fried or poached egg with a runny yolk. The yolk should combine with some of the pasta water and parmesan to create a sauce that adheres to the pasta. Some people might find it a little eggy but there should be enough flavour in the bacon, pepper, cheese and parsley to even it out.

ozmo wrote: »
    Anyone catch that gogglebox episode on RTE 1 few weeks back

Mary Berry on BBC was making what she thought was Irish Stew - A full jar of Chutney she she put in it , what ever that is...!

Chutney in Irish stew...FFS. Notions.

Well I discoverd pasta bake sauce is piss easy:

400g tinned peeled tomoatos
    Large onion thinly sliced
    2 garlic gloves
    Chily flakes
    Tsp of sugar
    Simmer for 20 mins
    Mix in 6 tbsp of mascarpone

(Feel free to add whatever bits your want e.g sweetcorn, herbs, seasoning etc etc)

That's it. Then add to cooked pasta and chicken or tuna, top with cheese and bake for 20 mins. Now look at Tesco's list of ingredients:

Tomato Purée (72%), Tomatoes (10%), Rapeseed Oil, Onion Purée (4.5%), Sugar, Basil (1%), Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Dehydrated Cheese (Milk), Concentrated Lemon Juice (contains Sulphites), Garlic Purée, Egg Yolk Powder, Flavourings (contains Celery, Milk), Ground Black Pepper, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Lactose (Milk)

More or less the same ingredients in both. I don't see a problem unless you've convinced yourself that basil, lemon juice, milk, celery, egg yolk powder and xanthan gum are harmful.

More or less the same ingredients in both. I don't see a problem unless you've convinced yourself that basil, lemon juice, milk, celery, egg yolk powder and xanthan gum are harmful.

That's really not the point. It's about the ease at which it can be made. Plus I made it myself and I know what goes into it.

And yes I can do without the Rapeseed Oil (I used olive), Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Dehydrated Cheese (Milk), Concentrated Lemon Juice (contains Sulphites), Egg Yolk Powder, Flavourings (contains Celery, Milk), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Lactose (Milk) thank you very much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For lazy cooking 'aids' you can't beat the bread in a bag.
    Like brown bread is hard to make?

That's really not the point. It's about the ease at which it can be made. Plus I made it myself and I know what goes into it.

And yes I can do without the Rapeseed Oil (I used olive), Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Dehydrated Cheese (Milk), Concentrated Lemon Juice (contains Sulphites), Egg Yolk Powder, Flavourings (contains Celery, Milk), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Lactose (Milk) thank you very much

Ok, but you know what goes into the prepared sauce too. I mean, it literally tells you on the side of the jar.

Preferring your own version is fine but there's nothing harmful in the Tesco/Dolmio one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Fonecrusher's Carbonara sauce recipe:

- Gently warm some cream
    - Add some double cream
    - Ever so gently fold in some whipped cream
    - Add some milk.
    - Gently tear up some good quality billy roll and toss playfully into the sauce.
    - Serve aggressively with Dolmio microwave pasta in a bag. (Make sure to reheat the pasta so much it becomes good n mushy)

Bellysimmo! (Enjoy!)

Advertisement