Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbonara sauce is a scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So a recap on all the advice so far:

Lots of cream
    Lots of mushrooms
    Substitute the above with cream of mushroom soup for extra authenticity
    Fatty pig cheek made from guacamole
    Pasta from the pasta trees in your back garden - protect these from slugs, greenfly or possibly whitefly

There's still some debate on parmesan but you can't go wrong with loads of red pepper added to the mix.

Cream is very important but throwing loads of protien pancake mix in is absolutely crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

ozmo wrote: »
    Heard a story - that when they started making cake mix etc in the 50's - that a decision was made to omit powered eggs - for the only reason that the people cooking it would feel like they weren't cheating using mix if they got to crack their own egg in.

This is true - this was an innovation of Edward Bernays - he is also credited with popularising smoking among women, and convincing the U.S. government to overthrow the government of Guatemala for the United Fruit Company

American recipes are gas, though:

"Take 4 cups of Aunt Jemina™ cake mix. Bake at 500 for 20 minutes. Finish with a can of Acme® Ready-Made Frosting-in-a-Can"

- wow, I feel like Anthony Bourdain right now, creating this...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just fukk a pack of bacon lardons into a frying pan and slosh a bit of cream over it. Tastes way nicer too

Same with pancake mix, this is only powdered egg and self raising flour and a load of synthetic chemicals to lengthen the ingredient list to make it look like a very complex product that took a lot of R&D.

What other cooking product is a scam?

What heathen puts cream into a carbonara?

Egg yolk and some of the pasta water.... Simples

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Don't put sugar in your tomato sauce either.
    Long slow cooking will release the natural sugars.

It's the biggest scam since sliced bread OP.

And if people knew what went into most bread these days (thanks to the Chorleywood Bread Process for making industrial bread) you'd not touch it with a barge pole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

spook_cook wrote: »
    I'll never forget the joy at my Mam's home made spag bol. She let me in on the recipe.

Fry up onions and garlic.
    Throw in the beef mince.
    Dunk a jar of Dolmio on it.
    Throw in a few random veg and ketchup.

Serve on spaghetti, with a side of chips and two slices of white bread with which to make little sandwiches and to dip into the sauce.

Was your mam on MasterChef?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

Adding cream is not a mistake, it's an improvement over the original recipe, which, like a lot of italian stuff, it's good but far from perfect.
    An actual real mistake is cooking the pasta and the sauce separately until they are served from separate bowls. Even worse, overcook and then wash the pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

True Carbonara should be crumbly ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People who make carbonara with cream or those packets with dried "ingredients" are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

There's carbon in it, innit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Grest, now we have high society telling us how to make carbonara. I just use rashers with salad cream

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Just fukk a pack of bacon lardons into a frying pan and slosh a bit of cream over it. Tastes way nicer too

That's not carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think we should maybe have a sticky on this forum specifying what is and what isn't carbonara.

awec wrote: »
    Or mushrooms.

To be clear, there is no cream and there is definitely no fcuking mushrooms in carbonara.

I ordered a carbonara for my lunch from an italian takeaway last tuesday and what was in it? Fuxking mushrooms. What kind of a psychpathe puts mushrooms in carbonara? I hate them so the entire thing was inedible and it went straight in the bin. I even wrote to them complaining, its how strongly I felt about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Salato come il mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

spook_cook wrote: »
    I'll never forget the joy at my Mam's home made spag bol. She let me in on the recipe.

Fry up onions and garlic.
    Throw in the beef mince.
    Dunk a jar of Dolmio on it.
    Throw in a few random veg and ketchup.

Serve on spaghetti, with a side of chips and two slices of white bread with which to make little sandwiches and to dip into the sauce.

Dolmio is a scam , 2 euro for 500g. all you need is tinned tomatoes and add some spices to it. at least half the cost and less additives

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Grest, now we have high society telling us how to make carbonara. I just use rashers with salad cream

Yes, I do that myself, though it must be Heinz.
    Any other type of salad cream is just horrendous.

Btw, I mix melted Mars bar and overripe bananas into my Carbonara sauce.
    Is this ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You tell us?

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I make vegan carbonara by replacing the bacon with Special K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I just want to mention, no cream in carbonara.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Zaph wrote: »
    Anybody who buys pancake mix has failed at life, especially considering you still have to add milk to it, which you'd be doing making them from scratch yourself.

The same idiots buy bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I ordered a carbonara for my lunch from an italian takeaway last tuesday and what was in it? Fuxking mushrooms. What kind of a psychpathe puts mushrooms in carbonara? I hate them so the entire thing was inedible and it went straight in the bin. I even wrote to them complaining, its how strongly I felt about it.

ha an Italian i know used to give out about us (irish) dumping all sorts into their dishes and mushrooms was the biggest gripe!

although mushrooms and pasta are unreal together!

ha an Italian i know used to give out about us (irish) dumping all sorts into their dishes and mushrooms was the biggest gripe!

although mushrooms and pasta are unreal together!

Sher even mussolini himself loved chips and coleslaw with lasagne

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

What do you use to replace the cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sher even mussolini himself loved chips and coleslaw with lasagne

hung upside down on a railing wasn't he?

:)

Cordell wrote: »
    What do you use to replace the cream?

(˵ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°˵)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The cereal or Ketamine? :)

I think he's referring to Potassium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I don't get this that dishes here have to be always made as in their native country, no cream in Carbonara?, why not if people like it, call it something different if it offends people. Consider pineapple on a pizza an abomination, fine don't eat it, I think its lovely.
    Complain that Chinese food sold here isn't authentic?, you're free to make your own chicken feet with rice etc if it makes you feel better. Most people who get the likes of sweet and sour chicken balls from their local takeaway don't care if its eaten in China or not.

Advertisement