Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

I've heard a good few faves already! I tried to get onto their website earlier and I couldn't get in, must have been a lot of traffic :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was out and about this morning but I sat in the car to hear the launch song. I have no regrets. Great song choice we absolutely need a little Christmas now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, now more than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There is a bit of an 8Radio.com connection to Christmas FM - mainly behind the scenes. 8Radio.com in a multi-genre alternative online music station, which has also had a number of temporary license runs on FM around various locations in Ireland.

The following 8Radio.com presenters have been involved with Christmas FM: Ann Marie Walsh, Brian Daly, Jack Hyland, Dan McDermott and Jennie Ridyard. As I say, they have been mainly behind the scenes, although I did hear Dan, who is Christmas FM's station manager, presenting a program online. Also, Jennie Ridyard is the principal exception, as she is a presenter on Christmas FM. Also, Colleen Kelly has been involved with both 8Radio.com and Christmas FM behind the scenes. She was deputy station manager for Christmas FM.

Further to my previous lists..... Adrienne O'Hora should also be included under the list of Radio Nova presenters (licensed one). Tommy Green should be included under the list for national independent stations. One omission from my list of dance station presenters was Chris Murray, who used to be a presenter on Christmas FM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ChristmasFM have launched their own podcast today. You can get it in all the usual places for podcasts.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Question for Darragh, would ChristmasFM consider doing podcasts on the run up to the launch date?

Could have a sit down with people from make a wish, ask the general public Christmas questions, attend the Christmas events that are happening like the turning on the Christmas lights.

Mix in a few Christmas tunes and you've got yourself a nice little podcast that can be used to drive traffic to the website and details on how to donate and launch and frequency details.

I don’t meant to brag but I came up with the idea 5 years ago :P

Ahead of my time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I don’t meant to brag but I came up with the idea 5 years ago :P

Ahead of my time :P

Trailblazer some might say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Background music is way too loud right now while the DJ is reading out the messages, no idea what he is saying...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Tuned in yesterday and heard the launch song, wasn't expecting that song, but has Keith said it makes sense this year, I was tearing up at Keith he is great at what he does
    Felt so Christmassy
    Tuned in since I am up this morning, just pottering around the house, feels so christmassy great work as usual at Christmas fm

"For I've grown a little leaner, grown a little colder
    Grown a little sadder, grown a little older
    And I need a little angel sitting on my shoulder
    I need a little Christmas now"

Absolutely perfect song for this year, although I don't think many of us have grown a little leaner in 2020. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Oh man, it was so good to have Christmas FM on in the car on the drive to work this morning, dunno what was going on but the traffic was dreadful so it was great to have the festive cheer to keep me in good spirits.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Oh man, it was so good to have Christmas FM on in the car on the drive to work this morning, dunno what was going on but the traffic was dreadful so it was great to have the festive cheer to keep me in good spirits.

Was just thinking the same. First morning dropping the kids with it on, not too loud on the way so could hear them sing along and loud on the way back so I couldn't hear myself sing along :D

Here are some more station lists!

The following past and present presenters on Christmas FM have also been presenters on 98FM.

Jim Kenny, rip - I think he was the station manager for Christmas FM as well (Also can be included in the Sunshine 106.8 and the superpirate Sunshine Radio lists!)

David Lyons

Ruth Scott

Lisa Gernon

Marty Miller

Karl Dawson

Chris Barry

Gareth O'Connor (can also be included in the national independent stations list)

Niall Boylan (can also be included in the Sunshine 106.8 list)

Pat Courtenay (AFAIK he was briefly with Christmas FM)

Mark Byrne

The following past and present presenters on Christmas FM have also been presenters on Wicklow's East Coast Radio/East Coast FM.

Lisa Gernon

Marty Miller

Gerry Healy

Roger Lane

Patricia Lane (can also be included in the RTE list)

Gareth O'Connor

Niall O'Keeffe (can also be included in the rock station Radio Nova list)

Enda Caldwell

Ryan O'Neill

Thanks Declan!

I heard the station's first playing of my favourite song, Stop the Cavalry, yesterday. Delighted with life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A lot of people are back in work now or preparing for businesses reopenig tomorrow I'd imagine.

Nice to be working from home today and being able to have Christmas FM on without someone moaning about it :)

Posy wrote: »
    Thanks Declan!

I heard the station's first playing of my favourite song, Stop the Cavalry, yesterday. Delighted with life. :)

I forgot to include Mark Byrne in the 98FM list - now corrected!

Incidentally, Garvan Rigby, one of the Christmas FM principals, worked behind the scenes in sales on 98FM!

I forgot to include Ryan O'Neill in the East Coast FM list - now corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Tried tuning in this morning on the way to work, but it seems im in between signals on the radio, cannot get a decent signal either way. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where are you, roughly?

All transmitters may not be on yet and there isn't nationwide coverage; albeit its a very high % of population coverage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Keith Shanley had a link at 1:40 and the background bed was louder than his voice, and his link was completely unintelligible - then when he played the intro to Last Christmas it was even worse. Other than that the station is sounding absolutely fantastic.

Delighted to have my home area covered with a new relay on 87.7 this year. A good site near Mallow and a very clear frequency means coverage of North Cork, Limerick county, East Kerry and South West Tipp. It covers the M8 until Thurles where the Kilkenny relay kicks in. Fantastic addition.

Props to the engineers too on a fantastic sound from 87.7. Very loud and punchy which helps when the signal gets noisy. Very well synced with 106.7 and 105.0 too which helps with the switching in weaker signal areas.

marno21 wrote: »
    Keith Shanley had a link at 1:40 and the background bed was louder than his voice, and his link was completely unintelligible - then when he played the intro to Last Christmas it was even worse. Other than that the station is sounding absolutely fantastic.

Delighted to have my home area covered with a new relay on 87.7 this year. A good site near Mallow and a very clear frequency means coverage of North Cork, Limerick county, East Kerry and South West Tipp. It covers the M8 until Thurles where the Kilkenny relay kicks in. Fantastic addition.

Props to the engineers too on a fantastic sound from 87.7. Very loud and punchy which helps when the signal gets noisy. Very well synced with 106.7 and 105.0 too which helps with the switching in weaker signal areas.

What parts of Ireland are still unable to pick up the station on FM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Hmm, im in the mid/north tipp area and cant get much signal, maybe its just my radio so, its not exactly the most up to date car stereo system

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

So glad to have this station back :D

Can anyone help me though... How can I get the amazon Alexa to play the station, not the classic one?? I remember seeing a post about it but I can't find it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

ChewChew wrote: »

Can anyone help me though... How can I get the amazon Alexa to play the station, not the classic one?? I remember seeing a post about it but I can't find it now

That was me, it was driving me nuts! Ask her for ‘Ireland’s Christmas fm’

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Asking for Christmas FM North Pole works for me. The website says to ask Alexa to 'enable Christmas FM' and then say 'start Christmas FM,' but that still just gives me classical.

Saying “Start ChristmasFM” should work as well.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Saying “Start ChristmasFM” should work as well.

Thank you!! I knew I read it somewhere :D

What blows my mind is ChristmasFM have live DJs start at 5am right up to 3am, that is serious dedication.

I think I'm going have to stick the headphones in at night and listen to the 10-12am slot to help me to drift off to sleep this week. It'll be like the old cruise to snooze days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

WFH today so ill be having Christmas FM as my background for the day now... gear!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

WFH today so ill be having Christmas FM as my background for the day now... gear!

The legendary Ruth Scott is on the 10am - 1pm slot today, I think I'm going to tune in for those 3 hours then take a break from it until my walk tonight.

ChristmasFM on Friday was amazing, it really got me in the Christmas mood.

• Advertisement

Hit a nice set of songs this morning on the kid drop off. Really set me up for the day. Been humming away to myself since I got home :)

Advertisement