Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster at it again...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    I understand but did the posters going on about this make similar complaints for anti Irish sentiments or DUP tweets? Otherwise I'll have to say it's faux outrage.

Do you have examples of other TDs posting anti-Irish sentiments?

I will happily call on any TD who has posted sectarian racist bile on Twitter to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Asking people to pick between the DUP and SF is asking to pick between the loathsome and the detestable. Their ideologies would be considered racist and populist in every other democracy in the world. Their leaderships are made up of appalling human beings whose outlook on life is based on hatred and envy. Their supporters are generally only a small step better than the leadership and many are a giant leap beyond even that.

Who is right in this row over the latest example of small minded insensitive bigotry? Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,957 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

spook_cook wrote: »
    Well I'll certainly not give them a preference should they decide to run a candidate in Galway West.

What about those who invite their Commander in Chief over for tea or wear the poppy?

See, what 'insensitive' might mean to the other community?

Bring the whole issue of remembrance and commemoration into the public for debate or put up with it, many have had to over the decades on both sides and from government to the man and woman on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,605 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I understand but did the posters going on about this make similar complaints for anti Irish sentiments or DUP tweets? Otherwise I'll have to say it's faux outrage.

Show me them and I will be the first to call them as disgraceful...

This is not about sides

It's about people behaving like decent and cooperative and tolerant and engaging and warm and opening.....

It is about healing, not wounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

My heart bleeds for them. The same DUP that defended their councillors posing for pictures in from of burning tri colours last year.

https://www.thejournal.ie/edenderry-bonfire-margaret-tinsely-dup-4711969-Jul2019/

Thanks for letting me know, I won't be voting for them either.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

This is not about sides

It's about people behaving like decent and cooperative and tolerant and engaging and warm and opening.....

We are in a post conflict society, there are many unresolved unhealed issues. The British will make an announcement at 4pm about just one of those unresolved issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Gatling wrote: »
    She has a point ,

If the British boasted about killing IRA terrorists then there would be uproar by Mary Lou and co ,

They and the DUP regularly do, SF don’t write to the British parliament and have people on boards supporting them

She’s a crusty old bigot

British soldiers were killed, in our country, quite happy to kill us, he wasn’t exactly celebrating the Warrington bomb

Ceann Comhairle should tell her to f@€k off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

The Warrenpoint attack did show the IRA were a formidable foe for the British Army.

They parked a hay trailer containing a bomb on Down side of estuary and blew it up from Co Louth when the army convoy passed. They had set up attack near a ruin, knowing the British had a practice of setting up their HQ in the nearest building.

They had booby trapped the ruin and it was here than they did most damage.

It was a big victory, not just the scale but as it was revenge for Bloody Sunday propaganda wise also,

the British often concentrate on Mountbatten more than Warrenpoint and wish to ignore their crack squad of troops were not so great when they were against armed paramilitaries rather than unarmed civil rights activists

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I wish they would all **** off to be honest.
    Anyone wanting to be part of ROI..pop on down , get yourself a job.
    Anyone wanting to stay above stay there.
    I really don't want any more bigots/scumbags down South..we have enough of those already down here.
    And a united Ireland? When was Ireland ever united ffs.
    Its just a romantic thought in deluded fools heads who think once we unite it will be all sunrises and daffodils and we can all live happily ever after.
    Although I'm pretty sure all those bigots up north will then say if the prods don't like it then they can sod off to the UK etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was a big victory, not just the scale but as it was revenge for Bloody Sunday propaganda wise also,

the British often concentrate on Mountbatten more than Warrenpoint and wish to ignore their crack squad of troops were not so great when they were against armed paramilitaries rather than unarmed civil rights activists

you be james ****ing bond but if a bomb explodes under the truck you are travelling in no amount training will save you.

• Advertisement

you be james ****ing bond but if a bomb explodes under the truck you are travelling in no amount training will save you.

Or drops on you from 10,000ft.

Always love this nonsense tbh. Again with the look away and ignore the truths about what warfare is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Or drops on you from 10,000ft.

Always love this nonsense tbh. Again with the look away and ignore the truths about what warfare is.

i'm not sure what you point you think you are making, which is pretty much par for the course with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The parachute regiment massacred unarmed Irish people on the streets of Belfast and Ballymurphy amongst others. They were rewarded and decorated for it. They got what they deserved that day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Great to see her triggered by this.

I can't say any local politicians I know of, hung around with Prince Charles. In fact the only one I can properly picture doing so is Martin McG and Gerry.

And eh well you can work out yourself if I'd give either of them a vote!

As Sovereign and head of state, Queen Elizabeth II is Head of the Armed Forces and their Commander-in-Chief.

Invited and wined and dined in the city her troops are alleged to have helped bomb and whose government have locked away the files for an additional 80 years to avoid scrutiny.
    Insensitive to the victims of Dublin and Monaghan*? (*by which I was personally affected)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Blazer wrote: »
    I wish they would all **** off to be honest.
    Anyone wanting to be part of ROI..pop on down , get yourself a job.
    Anyone wanting to stay above stay there.
    I really don't want any more bigots/scumbags down South..we have enough of those already down here.
    And a united Ireland? When was Ireland ever united ffs.
    Its just a romantic thought in deluded fools heads who think once we unite it will be all sunrises and daffodils and we can all live happily ever after.
    Although I'm pretty sure all those bigots up north will then say if the prods don't like it then they can sod off to the UK etc.

A united Ireland is inevitable. I thought it wouldn't happen in my lifetime (47) but after Brexit i think i'll see it before i collect my pension now. The British Empire is on it's last legs.

i'm not sure what you point you think you are making, which is pretty much par for the course with you.

A bomb under a truck is no different to a bomb dropped from a ritzy bomber at 10,000ft.

Warfare is savage and bloody and murderous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

To quote Tom Barry:

“They said I was ruthless, daring, savage, blood thirsty, even heartless. The clergy called me and my comrades murderers; but the British were met with their own weapons. They had gone in the mire to destroy us and our nation and down after them we had to go.â€

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Came to this thread expecting to see sordid rumours about Foster caught riding yet another chauffeur. Very disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Can you address the tweet, and leave out bringing in other parties...

Can you condemn this tweet as wrong, insensitive and something no elected rep could justify/stand over?

You are for ever obfuscating and moving goal posts...

I have already addressed it, I had no problems with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This is not about sides

One second. While the Gleannane gang thread was going in here I think it was yourself or blanch liked a comment calling the Relatives for Justice campaigners headcases? That was dozens of civilians killed in the 70's by loyalistterrorist.This doesn't square with the new can't we all be friends mother Theresa act.

Ah I get you. You want your politicians to not deal or have relations at all with Britain.

No, I wouldn't vote for such a raving lunatic party/politician. I *think* Republican SF or some equally nutty party ran last time in my neck of the woods, pretty sure it's just that lot with such extremists views.

But we're talking about regular SF now. They've wined, dined with the Queen and sure she even gives them pocket money.

No, never said that.

I would like an honest relationship where we don't tippy toe around afraid to offend by asking what they know about the bombing of our cities and towns and other acts and why they are covering it up like the acts that they have eventually, after 40 years owned up to.
    To much to ask for on behalf of our own citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1181287/

Complains about Laois/Offaly TD's tweet on the Kilmicheal ambush and plans to write to our Ceann Comhairle.

Is she right or should she just fcuk right off?

I mean it couldn't be any worse than marching through the streets of NI every year, reminding people of some stupid battle in the 1600s.

100% support for Arlene, from all quarters (bar Sinn Fein) on this occasion, so I suggest that you take your own advice and ***k right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

NI politics bores me to tears but this SF chap needs to resign as Chair of the PAC at the very least.
    He might have gotten away with it if he had only mentioned the Tom Barry ambush but the one in Warrenpoint was horrific.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

100% support for Arlene, from all quarters (bar Sinn Fein) on this occasion, so I suggest that you take your own advice and ***k right off.

Her party member got handed his hypocritical high ground ass this morning on Morning Ireland by Aubrey Carville.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Cazale wrote: »
    To quote Tom Barry:

“They said I was ruthless, daring, savage, blood thirsty, even heartless. The clergy called me and my comrades murderers; but the British were met with their own weapons. They had gone in the mire to destroy us and our nation and down after them we had to go.â€

You'd wonder what mental gymnastics people are performing in that they mark Killmichael as a proud moment for the IRA and yet decry Warren Point as 'terrorism'.

I mean, were the British Army in Ireland bad guys in the 1920's and good guys in the 1970's?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,605 ✭✭✭✭walshb

One second. While the Gleannane gang thread was going in here I think it was yourself or blanch liked a comment calling the Relatives for Justice campaigners headcases? That was dozens of civilians killed in the 70's by loyalistterrorist.This doesn't square with the new can't we all be friends mother Theresa act.

What?

No way that was me, and if you see me thanking a post regarding this, show me, and I will remove....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Arlene as some neck, can anyone imagine if a TD wrote to the speaker of the Northern executive complaining, the Orange order would be out marching.

Very very telling its only FG (blueshirts come to mind) fielding TD'S to complain, Simon (Mercs & Perks) Coveney throws the predictable, removing the masks mantra into the mix.

And breaking news, British Government refusing a statutory enquiry into the murder of Pat Finnucan, so much for The Taoiseach's word in Boris"s ear. No doubt Arlene will go all quite now.

Stanley's Tweet from a historical context was reasonable however, the end of the Tweet was uncalled for and silly

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Arlene as some neck, can anyone imagine if a TD wrote to the speaker of the Northern executive complaining, the Orange order would be out marching.

Very very telling its only FG (blueshirts come to mind) fielding TD'S to complain, Simon (Mercs & Perks) Coveney throws the predictable, removing the masks mantra into the mix.

And breaking news, British Government refusing a statutory enquiry into the murder of Pat Finnucan, so much for The Taoiseach's word in Boris"s ear. No doubt Arlene will go all quite now.

Stanley's Tweet from a historical context was reasonable however, the end of the Tweet was uncalled for and silly

She's figured out how to use twitter again it seems.Baffling rhetoric.

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1333453401351479302?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I'm no fan of what the IRA have done over the years but I see nothing wrong with taking on and killing British soldiers in an active hot zone where theres a chance they'll come under attack, as far I'm concerned members of the crown forces in a foreign country should expect to be fair game, once that uniform is on consider yourself a target

Advertisement