Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

the lawman wrote: »
    I don't believe this is correct. I think the main purpose of this system is that you can bring your index to anywhere in the world, play with your handicap and it can be counting.

I just don't know the logistics of how this will work yet.
    It's always been the case that supplementary scores must be played at courses where you are a member. Casual (supplementary) rounds counting for handicap purposes is not new. It's been around a good few years and up until now was limited to 10 per year. I have not seen any indication that the restriction to courses where you are a member has been lifted. The only difference from a WHS point of view is that your handicap can now be used in competitions abroad, unlike CONGU. There was never anything stopping you playing a casual round abroad and using your CONGU handicap to record your score against other players you were playing with casually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's always been the case that supplementary scores must be played at courses where you are a member. Casual (supplementary) rounds counting for handicap purposes is not new. It's been around a good few years and up until now was limited to 10 per year. I have not seen any indication that the restriction to courses where you are a member has been lifted. The only difference from a WHS point of view is that your handicap can now be used in competitions abroad, unlike CONGU. There was never anything stopping you playing a casual round abroad and using your CONGU handicap to record your score against other players you were playing with casually.

My understanding is; as long as you have someone to mark your card a 'casual' game anywhere can be counting and will go against your handicap index. It doesn't have to be a competition round on the given golf course. The only condition is you have to announce this before the round but I'm not sure how this is 'announced'. Presumably there will be an app or addition to an app where this can be done. HDID or Golf Ireland.

If you look at one of the paragraphs towards the end of this artiicle:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/world-handicap-system-what-is-it-how-does-it-work-will-my-handicap-change-1.4395444

Can non-competition rounds now count towards your handicap?
    Yes, scores from casual rounds can now be submitted to your record. However, you can’t just shoot a great round and then decide to enter the score. Before teeing off players have to pre-register their round for handicap purposes, either on the computer at the golf course or on the Golf Ireland app which is due to launch in early 2021. The round must also be played with at least one other person and your card must be signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

My understanding is; as long as you have someone to mark your card a 'casual' game anywhere can be counting and will go against your handicap index. It doesn't have to be a competition round on the given golf course. The only condition is you have to announce this before the round but I'm not sure how this is 'announced'. Presumably there will be an app or addition to an app where this can be done. HDID or Golf Ireland.

Any update on the App I wonder seeing as you mentioned it. Not sure if its still available on android but definitely isn't iphone yet.

fearruanua wrote: »
    Any update on the App I wonder seeing as you mentioned it. Not sure if its still available on android but definitely isn't iphone yet.

If you look at my previous post and the copied paragraph it seems there will be an app by Golf Ireland in early 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

and to follow on from lawman's posts, let me ask you this.
    where is the bold part of your post situated in the new rules to indicate that it is for competition only. sure you could always play a competition abroad it just wasn't counting for handicap purposes.

If you look at one of the paragraphs towards the end of this artiicle:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/world-handicap-system-what-is-it-how-does-it-work-will-my-handicap-change-1.4395444

Can non-competition rounds now count towards your handicap?
    Yes, scores from casual rounds can now be submitted to your record. However, you can’t just shoot a great round and then decide to enter the score. Before teeing off players have to pre-register their round for handicap purposes, either on the computer at the golf course or on the Golf Ireland app which is due to launch in early 2021. The round must also be played with at least one other person and your card must be signed.
    Again, this is not different from the current position. You could do this for the last number of years. Just limited to ten rounds per year, but now unlimited. The procedure is either declare your round at the pro shop, or on the MasterScoreboard app, you can sign in and also enter your score. This was available on that app since May iirc. I think it was similar with HowDidIDo, but a bit later.

As I said. I have seen nothing that specifically lifts the requirement for supplementary scores to be submitted from courses you are a member of. The link above does not say this. In fact it's much the same wording that appears in the CONGU manual and that clearly states the membership requirement.

Again, this is not different from the current position. You could do this for the last number of years. Just limited to ten rounds per year, but now unlimited. The procedure is either declare your round at the pro shop, or on the MasterScoreboard app, you can sign in and also enter your score. This was available on that app since May iirc. I think it was similar with HowDidIDo, but a bit later.

As I said. I have seen nothing that specifically lifts the requirement for supplementary scores to be submitted from courses you are a member of. The link above does not say this. In fact it's much the same wording that appears in the CONGU manual and that clearly states the membership requirement.

You're saying that for the last few years you can play a casual round on any course within CONGU and it can be used for handicap assessment purposes? I never knew that was a thing.

Anyway my question was regarding the logistics of how you can pre-register for a casual round to be counting on the WHS system. Keep on rocking.

You're saying that for the last few years you can play a casual round on any course within CONGU and it can be used for handicap assessment purposes? I never knew that was a thing.
    Not on any course. Only on courses you are a member of. Which stipulation I have not seen changed with WHS. Open to correction, but I've looked extensively and not found anything.
    Anyway my question was regarding the logistics of how you can pre-register for a casual round to be counting on the WHS system. Keep on rocking.
    It's exactly as I described above. The process through Master Scoreboard (and I assume HDID) is exactly the same as with CONGU. Sign in on the app and enter your score on the app. Or the webpage. Manually via the clubhouse, but I would imagine that's not recommended during covid. Also, there would be likely delays doing it manually unless your h/sec is in the habit of checking daily for completed scorecards.

I have seen that you can play any course in a ‘casual’ capacity and declare it before you play and put your score in for handicap purposes. It’s in the text of the article I posted a few posts back.

The casual round has to be played under rules of golf conditions and marked by another.

I just don’t know how it’s being operated.

• Advertisement

I've looked extensively and not found anything.

you've looked for something to specifically state that one can play any course in the world as a casual counting round, but you haven't answered my question above.
    where do the new rules state that you can play any course in the world but it will only count if it is a competition?

it has been pointed out by lawman, casual rounds can now count and the new rules do not specifically state that those casual rounds must be played on courses you are a member of........ unless you care to show us where the rules do state this?

actually rereading your post, it seems that you don't even believe that playing a competition abroad will count as you just say the only change from a WHS point of view is that you can play a enter a comp abroad. or maybe i am forensically analysing your comment a bit to much and not allowing for comments sense, perhaps like you are reading the new rules? :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    you've looked for something to specifically state that one can play any course in the world as a casual counting round, but you haven't answered my question above.
    where do the new rules state that you can play any course in the world but it will only count if it is a competition?

it has been pointed out by lawman, casual rounds can now count and the new rules do not specifically state that those casual rounds must be played on courses you are a member of........ unless you care to show us where the rules do state this?

actually rereading your post, it seems that you don't even believe that playing a competition abroad will count as you just say the only change from a WHS point of view is that you can play a enter a comp abroad. or maybe i am forensically analysing your comment a bit to much and not allowing for comments sense, perhaps like you are reading the new rules? :D
    What I'm saying is that the rule under CONGU was that you could play supplementaries (casual rounds) already, limited to clubs you're a member of. I haven't seen those limitations lifted under WHS bar the number of rounds that can be played. That's all. They could be, but that's a fairly major change and should be easy to find. Can't find it.

Playing competitions abroad and counting them towards your handicap is one of the stated aims of the WHS.

To be clear.. Playing casual rounds and having them count towards your handicap is not new.

What I'm saying is that the rule under CONGU was that you could play supplementaries (casual rounds) already, limited to clubs you're a member of. I haven't seen those limitations lifted under WHS bar the number of rounds that can be played. That's all. They could be, but that's a fairly major change and should be easy to find. Can't find it.

i think you need to realise that the rules haven't changed, so looking for explicit changes is pointless.

they picked up the CONGU set of rules and chucked them into the bin.
    there are new rules

point out in the new rules where it says that you cannot play a casual round abroad as a counting score. all indications in the new WHS rules indicate that this is not a problem.

we have been told that we will need to enter scores in an app, but what people are looking for is confirmation on this...... yet something else the GUI and the associated bodies have failed to tell us.

Seve OB wrote: »
    i think you need to realise that the rules haven't changed, so looking for explicit changes is pointless.
    I am aware. :)

Found it eventually on (the first place I should have looked :o) the Golf Ireland website:
    Casual rounds

From 2nd November 2020, you will now be able to return casual rounds of golf for handicap purposes by pre-registering your round as an acceptable score before you go out and play. If you are playing at a course other than your home club then you can still pre-register your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭justcallmemoses

I’ve 2 unprocessed away scores from July & August of this year on Golfnet not showing up on WHS.

Golf Ireland said contact your club.

Club says Golf Ireland Support tells them they aren’t including all scores due to bad data.

Surely the club can process the away scores? 😩

I’ve 2 unprocessed away scores from July & August of this year on Golfnet not showing up on WHS.

Club says Golf Ireland Support tells them they aren’t including all scores due to bad data.

Surely the club can process the away scores? ��
    Yep. Just not sure if the new software that updates Golf Ireland can do this. Under the old system with GolfNet, you would run a GolfNet update and the scores would then be pulled from GolfNet and into your record and processed. But the new software doesn't update GolfNet, it's a direct connection to the Golf Ireland servers. So if the club has updated their software, I'm not sure how these 'old' scores are processed now. Maybe they can still use the old 'GolfNet' version of the software. But it's definitely a club problem and they should have dealt with this earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭justcallmemoses

Cheers for the reply. I guess I’ll have to live without the additional cutting

Yep. Just not sure if the new software that updates Golf Ireland can do this. Under the old system with GolfNet, you would run a GolfNet update and the scores would then be pulled from GolfNet and into your record and processed. But the new software doesn't update GolfNet, it's a direct connection to the Golf Ireland servers. So if the club has updated their software, I'm not sure how these 'old' scores are processed now. Maybe they can still use the old 'GolfNet' version of the software. But it's definitely a club problem and they should have dealt with this earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Cheers for the reply. I guess I’ll have to live without the additional cutting

Your club can add in your scores that are missing manually to your record on Golf Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Just comparing slope ratings on courses i have played. Are spain not yet part of the WHS??

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Surely the club can process the away scores? ��

I have something similar except I have ELEVEN :eek: unprocessed scores from 2019 & 2020.

Handicap secretary assures me everything is alright from his end so I contacted Golf Ireland at the start of the week- i'll see what they come back with but they'll probably bounce it back to the club.
    It's a mess

• Advertisement

I have something similar except I have ELEVEN :eek: unprocessed scores from 2019 & 2020.

Handicap secretary assures me everything is alright from his end so I contacted Golf Ireland at the start of the week- i'll see what they come back with but they'll probably bounce it back to the club.
    It's a mess
    Can you see those unprocessed scores on your club system (HDID/Master Scoreboard/whatever)? The way I understand it, if it's unprocessed, then it will not be on that system, whatever it is.

fearruanua wrote: »
    Just comparing slope ratings on courses i have played. Are spain not yet part of the WHS??
    They are, as are Portugal. But it seems that slope and course ratings for the two countries haven't been added to the database yet. You can certainly see them on some of the course websites. [URL="file:///C:/Users/Kealan/AppData/Local/Temp/AM63-1-DESERT-SPRINGS-COMPLETA.pdf"]Like this one for Desert Springs Golf Club in Spain[/URL].

Can you see those unprocessed scores on your club system (HDID/Master Scoreboard/whatever)? The way I understand it, if it's unprocessed, then it will not be on that system, whatever it is.

I can't see back on Masterscoreboard since it was updated with my WHS index.
    My handicap secretary double checked and sent me pics showing they were uploaded the exact same way as my other scores were, doesn't know what the issue with these are.
    He did say looking at the missing scores it wouldn't make much difference either way to my index but I would still like to get it sorted (not least because one of the missing scores is an open I actually won, which is a VERY rare thing :) )

I can't see back on Masterscoreboard since it was updated with my WHS index.
    My handicap secretary double checked and sent me pics showing they were uploaded the exact same way as my other scores were, doesn't know what the issue with these are.
    He did say looking at the missing scores it wouldn't make much difference either way to my index but I would still like to get it sorted (not least because one of the missing scores is an open I actually won, which is a VERY rare thing :) )
    The only difference I see on Master Scoreboard is that away scores don't seem to show up on your playing record. All my home scores are there going back two years. Unprocessed scores are usually away scores which haven't been processed by your club. The sequence (before WHS) went like this:
    1. Away club posts your scores to GolfNet when closing the competition.
    2. They remain unprocessed until your club runs a GolfNet update; usually before closing a home competition in order to capture any changes to your handicap that may have resulted from an away comp.
    3. The scores on GolfNet change from unprocessed to processed (like any other scores).

However, there seems to have been some 'churn' in the GolfNet data at the time of changeover. Some clubs may have found that all data from an older competition didn't transfer, so 'forced' an update for that competition in order to capture the missing data (around the time of the changeover, you'll find a conversation between me and Golfgraffix on this thread about how to deal with this kind of problem). That may have resulted in previously processed scores becoming unprocessed again.

I'm clearly hypothesizing here as I don't have access to your systems and can't tell for sure. But the above outline is what I've observed at the time of changeover and how we fixed it. The problem now is that we've moved on, software now doesn't talk to GolfNet but talks to Golf Ireland and away scores seem to be dealt with differently. (assuming your missing scores were away ones - That's probably the most pertinent question now - were they away scores?).

The only difference I see on Master Scoreboard is that away scores don't seem to show up on your playing record. All my home scores are there going back two years. Unprocessed scores are usually away scores which haven't been processed by your club. The sequence (before WHS) went like this:
    1. Away club posts your scores to GolfNet when closing the competition.
    2. They remain unprocessed until your club runs a GolfNet update; usually before closing a home competition in order to capture any changes to your handicap that may have resulted from an away comp.
    3. The scores on GolfNet change from unprocessed to processed (like any other scores).

However, there seems to have been some 'churn' in the GolfNet data at the time of changeover. Some clubs may have found that all data from an older competition didn't transfer, so 'forced' an update for that competition in order to capture the missing data (around the time of the changeover, you'll find a conversation between me and Golfgraffix on this thread about how to deal with this kind of problem). That may have resulted in previously processed scores becoming unprocessed again.

I'm clearly hypothesizing here as I don't have access to your systems and can't tell for sure. But the above outline is what I've observed at the time of changeover and how we fixed it. The problem now is that we've moved on, software now doesn't talk to GolfNet but talks to Golf Ireland and away scores seem to be dealt with differently. (assuming your missing scores were away ones - That's probably the most pertinent question now - were they away scores?).

Yes they are all away scores. I’ll see what Golf Ireland say and go from there. Thanks for the info

Yes they are all away scores. I’ll see what Golf Ireland say and go from there. Thanks for the info
    Thought as much. I think the process now depends entirely on the away club. I have a similar situation in our club where a member has a couple of away scores missing. They are still on his record on HandicapMaster, but missing on Golf Ireland. Iirc they were there initially and then disappeared but other ones that were previously missing were added.

As far as I can see, there is no mechanism for the home club to rectify this. In some ways, this is a good thing because the system is now dependant on one input and not multiple ones that can cancel each other out, but dealing with these legacy issues may take a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Open Comps about to start back up in the club.

What do I mark down for holes I scratch now? is it a zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

etxp wrote: »

Yes, put in a zero and the system will convert it to a nett double bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

etxp wrote: »

Nothing changes for you. Mark your card the normal way. The computer does all the working out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Nothing changes for you. Mark your card the normal way. The computer does all the working out.

Presentation from Golf Ireland said the system doesn't allow dashes etc for scratched holes. I would normally put a dash on a hole I scratch but I don't think you can do that now? or is it just on the computer?

Advertisement