Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

• 30-11-2020 12:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continued on from previous threads. Title can be decided if we get better suggestions than the placeholder. We may run a poll.

LRind2008: 6 month Threadban until 14/08/2023.

Fresh to Death Thread banned for 2 weeks, until 07/03/2023

Pickarooney thread banned for 2 weeks until 07/03/2023

Kuang1 Thread banned for 2 weeks until 12/03/2023.
    Post edited by aloooof on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Zzippy wrote: »
    Continued on from previous threads. Title can be decided if we get better suggestions than the placeholder. We may run a poll.

Will post here as this was the last post in the previous thread.

This is the right decision. Although I wonder who the IRFU have yet to reach an agreement with.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1333387570408022017?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »

This is the right decision. Although I wonder who the IRFU have yet to reach an agreement with.

Think the main names who's contracts are up soon are:

Stander, Henderson, Sexton, Earls, POM, Furlong, Healy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Clegg wrote: »

Could the impasse have contributed to the poor performance? If there are players in camp who are not getting the contract they want could it have affected or be currently having an influence on the preparation/attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

reckon Earls, POM, and Healy are **** out of luck. Sexton would be lucky to get a year extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

reckon Earls, POM, and Healy are **** out of luck. Sexton would be lucky to get a year extension.

To be honest, with the way things have gone financially for the IRFU so far this year, anyone who's up for renewal is probably going to be in for a bit of a shock.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start hearing rumours originating from their camps/agents that lowballs are being flung around.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IRFU will keep saying they won't pick players abroad until there's enough important players abroad that they've no choice.

there’s going to be a lot of lowball offers floated but it’s not like the French or English clubs are doing much better than the IRFU. maybe if some French club had another run at the Toulon Galactico model but otherwise nah.

mostly the lads i named are no longer clear cut first choice, especially in the backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The current crisis would be an opportune time to rework the nature of central contracts. Get away from a fixed term situation, and make them closer to an annual incentive for selection to the national squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    IRFU will keep saying they won't pick players abroad until there's enough important players abroad that they've no choice.

Maybe, but sticking to it now makes that scenario developing less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Maybe, but sticking to it now makes that scenario developing less likely.

Yep. It would be a dangerous road to go down too as we've seen in Wales. The most I can see them doing is relaxing things for a short period due to Covid and allow themselves to get back to a similar position to the one they were in before Covid. But they'll be pretty strict about it. The model has served Irish rugby very well. They'll stick to it, or as closely to it as possible.

• Advertisement

there’s going to be a lot of lowball offers floated but it’s not like the French or English clubs are doing much better than the IRFU. maybe if some French club had another run at the Toulon Galactico model but otherwise nah.

mostly the lads i named are no longer clear cut first choice, especially in the backrow.

Indeed, it's not a given that you can take the horse to France this time.

Agent's rumour-float-negotiating-weapon no.1 de-powered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The current crisis would be an opportune time to rework the nature of central contracts. Get away from a fixed term situation, and make them closer to an annual incentive for selection to the national squad.

The problem with that is it means that the player isn't guaranteed money. A drop in form or injuries would massively affect his income. If he has a family and is then offered a guaranteed salary for 3 or 4 years by a club in France, Japan or the UK, he might prioritise their well-being over playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Henderson and Furlong are the only two essential to retain IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

At least they've come out and said it. It might spare us from some of the disingenuous bollocks we've had to endure with a certain back-three player the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm assuming the few people calling for Donnacha Ryan are unaware that he turns 37 next month.

He was unfortunate that his career progression was hampered by POC, DOC and MOD being ahead of him at Munster but he's had a great career regardless and has carved out an excellent final few seasons with Racing 92.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm assuming the few people calling for Donnacha Ryan are unaware that he turns 37 next month.

Jesus, I didn't even realise he was that old. He really wasted his career potential at Munster unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Healy is still pretty essential.

precisely that

for all this talk of flogging the players in France if you have a backlog at some positions in provinces it mightn't be the worst thing in the world to happen now and again, to as a side effect, bring players through quicker through getting more experience

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there is currently no one in the irish panel who is over the age of 29 and on a central contract, that would be a "marquee player" standard to move to england for the big bucks...

any move off a central contract onto a provincial one will mean quite a wage drop for some players, but there will not be anything like the reciprocal of their central contracts on offer abroad in europe.

jonny sexton may get a one year pension somewhere like japan, but i dont think he'd be interested after having his pay day already.

whether or not players will be accepting of a extension with a significant cut will be very interesting to see. The IRFU are actually in a good place to kind of "reset" the pay structure a bit. The reduction of the salary cap in england is going to have knock on effect here too.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think thats an absolute given... but one where the IRFU themselves would admit to, seeing as there is no prescribed policy.

They know themselves it would be utterly silly to completely close off the opportunity, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »

hard to say. he’s in his 30s now and there’s a lot of miles on the clock. he’s also visibly slowed this year and isn’t the destructive ball carrier he once was. he offers a solid scrum but more than that is required at this level. if Kilcoyne was fit i’m not certain Healy would be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭TRC10

hard to say. he’s in his 30s now and there’s a lot of miles on the clock. he’s also visibly slowed this year and isn’t the destructive ball carrier he once was. he offers a solid scrum but more than that is required at this level. if Kilcoyne was fit i’m not certain Healy would be starting.

But Kilcoyne is only a year younger than Healy. We really missed an opportunity this November to blood OSullivan (24)

TRC10 wrote: »
    But Kilcoyne is only a year younger than Healy. We really missed an opportunity this November to blood OSullivan (24)

i wouldn’t give a CC to Kilcoyne either. if there’s no outstanding players in a position then a CC should be an incentive for one of them to establish themselves.

Ireland heavy favourites for the game next week -

~1/3 vs 3/1

9 points handicap in favour of Ireland

bit generous?

Farrell and the team will be desperate for a win

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

TRC10 wrote: »

Yeah, the non-selection of EOS in the initial Autumn squad was at least, at the time, a very big risk. Now it can only be seen as a big mistake. We're hobbling along at LH as well as at 9 and 10. We're missing any kind of destructive ball carrying in the pack too. We can't do much with the latter at the moment as we dont have a SOB or a Ferris on the scene provincially. We actually did what little we could at 9 and 10 (there's obviously a reason that Cooney isn't seen as an option at 9). But we needed to look at more than just Byrne for the LH spot, and Killers injury allowed us to do that in as sensible way as possible. By including 3 LHs in a squad for a 4 game tournament. Which is surely what we should always have been doing!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

bilston wrote: »

I don't think he's essential at all. In fact I'd have him warming a bench and I'd bring in Cronin. KH is not really anywhere near the player he used to be. Cronin brings a lot of breakdown work and carrying that Healy just isn't doing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think he's essential at all. In fact I'd have him warming a bench and I'd bring in Cronin. KH is not really anywhere near the player he used to be. Cronin brings a lot of breakdown work and carrying that Healy just isn't doing anymore.

Cronin?

He's 30 years old and hasn't played a test in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'm surprised that Ireland are 9 point favorites v Scot.
    Even with Weir at 10 i think Scotland can win if they scored the first try.
    This game not on TV all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I think a performance like against England,Wales,France etc should be enough at the weekend to get over the line at the weekend. It must be remembered as bad as yesterday was our defence was still very strong, its the attack thats the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I'm surprised that Ireland are 9 point favorites v Scot.
    Even with Weir at 10 i think Scotland can win if they scored the first try.
    This game not on TV all?

RTE 2 according to the nations cup site and the RTE site

Advertisement