Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Results being released around January 11

Any word on hybrid applicants being possibly earlier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Where are you seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

So an 8-9 week wait for results for people.

After being messed around for months. Presuming the exams go ahead as normal in March that is a very short time for people to get exams re-checked and prepare for the Spring sitting. People should have been advised BEFORE taking the November sittings that marking would take longer than usual as this may have resulted in some people waiting until the Spring sitting.

I was hoping to start the Hybrid in 3 weeks !!! Utterly disappointed, again!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

They will have to do something for
    Students wishing to start hybrid in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

I hope so ! I have emailed again there. I will update here IF I hear anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

A 9 week wait for results is ridiculous. Classic law society...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

How and why would it take 8-9 weeks to correct these exams?!

They say it takes 6 weeks to correct the exams so why aren’t they meeting there own targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Giving themselves a nice break for the Christmas. Well earned.. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

All of those complaining and whining about the Law Society taking 9 weeks to correct the exams when it should take 6 have not simply taken into consideration the couple of weeks of R&R that members of the Law Society need to take after their hard work and dedication to Fe1 candidates this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

IgoPAP wrote: »
    All of those complaining and whining about the Law Society taking 9 weeks to correct the exams when it should take 6 have not simply taken into consideration the couple of weeks of R&R that members of the Law Society need to take after their hard work and dedication to Fe1 candidates this year.

:D:D:D

Surely they could have had them corrected within 5 weeks instead of the usual 6. Or even have them to us the start of Christmas week! I’d bet good money those exams won’t even be looked at over the Christmas break, so it’s not like they need that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Fe1new4 wrote: »
    From what I remember from exam time you said you’re still a college student, so fair enough, the timing of results isn’t massively important to you. For a lot of us this is not the case and I myself am under serious pressure to have all 8 passed ASAP and this is just another pressure on my shoulders.

In addition, we are literally paying them to do their job, it is not unreasonable to ask them to mark exams quickly when each student is giving the LS on average €400. And finally, had they been more organised earlier in the year we wouldn’t even be in this situation, and they could’ve had all the R&R they wanted over Christmas.

He was being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Hybrid doesn’t really start in December, just the orientation and distribution of IPads. Plenty of time to catch up in January. If we pass the FE1s, it will work out just fine, no need for panic. I don’t think it’s fair to be so critical of the LS people correcting our exams, we don’t know how easy or hard the new exam system is to administrate especially since it’s being used for the first time and without any preparation time. So let’s all relax and chill. Que sera sera.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

EU LAW

revision 1 day courses notes printed from city colleges and summary notes for:

Equality
    Judicial review
    Citizenship
    Direct effect/indirect effect
    EU Institutions
    FMG & Art 30
    Sources of law
    FMG & Art 34
    General principles
    Art 10 TFEU

PM for details

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

Hey, just looking for some guidance on working in criminal law.

Do they take trainees regularly? as the only one that I can see with a dedicated careers section is Michael Stains, giving the impression to me that criminal practices hire when and if they need someone. If that is the case then would it be unusual to train corporate and transition out to criminal? Also if anyone knows a way to make yourself more attractive to criminal practices I would be glad to hear it :)

Sorry for the piecemeal of questions, I'm transitioning from a different industry myself and only know a handful of people in commercial law never mind criminal. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Hi everyone, posting this again for anyone else interested. My firm - an established criminal and personal injuries firm located in Dublin 1 - is looking to give an extended internship (at least 6 months) starting September/Oct 2020. This would suit a bright graduate interested in gaining daily court experience and advocacy skills (firm works in all courts from District up to Supreme). This is a hands-on role. Review of applications will begin on 17th August.

Send me a message for more details.
    Dropin wrote: »
    Hey, just looking for some guidance on working in criminal law.

Do they take trainees regularly? as the only one that I can see with a dedicated careers section is Michael Stains, giving the impression to me that criminal practices hire when and if they need someone. If that is the case then would it be unusual to train corporate and transition out to criminal? Also if anyone knows a way to make yourself more attractive to criminal practices I would be glad to hear it :)

Sorry for the piecemeal of questions, I'm transitioning from a different industry myself and only know a handful of people in commercial law never mind criminal. Thanks in advance.

Hey I remembered seeing something a few months back in relation to criminal firm. @Trainee1986 might be able to help or direct you on this. Not in the area myself.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

Lealaw wrote: »
    Hey I remembered seeing something a few months back in relation to criminal firm. @Trainee1986 might be able to help or direct you on this. Not in the area myself.
    Best of luck :)

Thank you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

As someone not looking to start a hybrid - my solace for the results being released in 9 weeks is that at least I can enjoy my Christmas while I continue to lie to myself in the meantime that I surely passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

If anyone is interested in manuals/ legislation/ past papers PM me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Would anybody have up to date equity/criminal/constitutional grids? Have property and contract to swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

I think results will be released before Xmas why because people starting hybrid will have to be informed first as was done previously and secondly this 11th jan is a schedule date for results nothing to say they won’t have them corrected in time for Xmas seeing as most college exams start in dec my thinking is our exam papers are corrected first and there’s education committee date in dec so they could have them by then.

This is all guessing but putting a bit faith in the society(for the first time) that they will do the right thing by us this Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saulgoodman4u

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows when we'll be able to apply for the spring 2021 fe1s?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone had some well-deserved chill-out time after exams. I hopefully (fingers crossed) only have Contract and perhaps another subject left in the next sitting (it would be a dream).

I am just wondering if some kind person would please tell me if anything was due in Contract in the last sitting that never came up?

Also if there are any topics that are a must?

I have just opened a book today. I started with offer. I have never sat Contract before. Is it marked difficult? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 leadersway

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all making progress wherever you are.

I am a civil servant and have just started studying for FE1s. Am taking a leisurely outlook in relation to them 1 or 2 subjects at a time as ive a family and am I'm involved in football management. I hope to take criminal in March followed by another subject along with Tort next October. I eventually hope to do the hybrid. I already hold an Arts degree and a masters in public management from IPA. I think this qualification could open doors for me either in my current job or perhaps in the private sector.

Just wondering in relation to the training contact, would I be able to complete it, in a legal unit, or prosecutions unit within my Dept. Id be interested yo hear from Anyone in a similar position to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Does anybody with experience know if pre trainee salaries are typically the same as the trainee salary in a firm or lower

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meg!

In fairness the the course does not start until January 16th. It is just the induction that we will miss, that will be online so we will catch up. If you have your application in your results are being prioritized.

Meg! wrote: »
    In fairness the the course does not start until January 16th. It is just the induction that we will miss, that will be online so we will catch up. If you have your application in your results are being prioritized.

"Onsite and online PPC I weekend dates for 2021 are as follows:
    Onsite weekends at Blackhall Place
    Friday 8 and Saturday 9 January" -LS Website

So it will be more than the induction we miss, it just does not seem fair when realistically the exams could have been done online in October had the Law Society better prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

"Onsite and online PPC I weekend dates for 2021 are as follows:
    Onsite weekends at Blackhall Place
    Friday 8 and Saturday 9 January" -LS Website

So it will be more than the induction we miss, it just does not seem fair when realistically the exams could have been done online in October had the Law Society better prepared.

To be fair, you were never guaranteed to have your application accepted after the October exams, never mind the operational issues arising due to Covid. You should be grateful that they're even willing to accept your application in the first place, imo.

• Advertisement

They always accept late applications for the Hybrid. Grateful ? Really ? I don't want to get into a slanging match but.....

My online exam crashed 5 times and it took me 4.5 hours to complete the exam (my final one) and I have been trying to get clarity on whether "technical issues" during the exam will be taken into account and whether Hybrid applicants can except to get their results any sooner than next year.

I have sent numerous emails, no response.

I don't think we need to be "grateful" for being accepted onto the Hybrid, I am sure we have all worked extremely hard to get thus far. I actually don't mind waiting until January, it just would be nice to know instead of wondering will we or wont we get the results over the next few weeks.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement